Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What’s Your Opinion On Sex Workers?

No, this isn’t about Melania Trump. Millennials and Gen Z are all about supporting sex work and celebrating it. What are your personal feelings regarding the subject? Should prostitution be encouraged and supported or should there be limits? Some people believe prostitution leads to psychological damage, as well as exploitation and human trafficking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 26, 2020 5:14 PM

We still pray for you, OP.

"Love the sinner, hate the sin"

by Anonymousreply 1May 26, 2020 6:47 AM

I worked with prostitutes once, and it was never a good thing for them. Most of them ended up on drugs and they were all raped or sexually assaulted at some point. These weren't street workers, these were legal brothel workers. It's not 'empowering' it's fucking awful.

by Anonymousreply 2May 26, 2020 6:55 AM

"Some people believe"?

Are you serious, OP? This is well-documented fact and a gross understatement.

by Anonymousreply 3May 26, 2020 7:18 AM

OP should read "What is your opinion on sex work", not "on sex workers".

Also "sex work" is a politicized term, like "sex-positive" or "cisgender". Better stick with "prostitution".

by Anonymousreply 4May 26, 2020 7:21 AM

Datalounge loves sex workers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 26, 2020 8:30 AM

IMHO, the workers are no different Burger King employees. Sex work should be legal, taxed, monitored, etc. The Netherlands, or the American State of Nevada provide decent examples.

by Anonymousreply 6May 26, 2020 9:14 AM

There is something highly paternalistic and tone-deaf about how progressives fight for their romanticized view of sex workers. It's easy to be all 'sex positive' if you don't have to sell your body yourself. There is a reason why old school feminists are completely against prostitution (which I think is extreme as well).

I come from a country where it is legal and regulated, but that doesn't mean that these women (and boys) have it easy. Especially since many of them aren't registered for various reasons (such as being imported sex slaves essentially).

I don't think that it's all bad and I don't think it's all good, I don't think that it should be prohibited, but it also shouldn't be romanticized. It definitely should be regulated and closely monitored.

by Anonymousreply 7May 26, 2020 9:24 AM

What the fuck is at the wheel of that car in OP's photo?

by Anonymousreply 8May 26, 2020 9:38 AM

"I prefer the term high priced call girl, dahling."

by Anonymousreply 9May 26, 2020 10:49 AM

r8, isn't that a picture from a recent HBO show? so it's a made up guy?

and if it's not, then he's Death.

by Anonymousreply 10May 26, 2020 11:10 AM

There was an article in the Atlantic last year about the legalized prostitution in Spain. Legalizing it increased demand, but the supply is still coming from trafficked women who are threatened to keep their mouths shut. Their pimps obtain licenses for them and it looks legitimate on the surface but the women are not doing this out of choice. I am for keeping it illegal. Maybe if it must be legalized it should only be legal for solo agents, but who is to say traffickers won’t just set up a building with a different worker in each apartment? (they probably already do that)

by Anonymousreply 11May 26, 2020 11:40 AM

Oops, it was the Guardian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 26, 2020 11:43 AM

If it gets the Craigslist personals back, I'm all for it.

by Anonymousreply 13May 26, 2020 1:47 PM

R8 Her last john.

by Anonymousreply 14May 26, 2020 2:34 PM

After reading Ann Rule's book about the Green River Killer, where it dives into the lives of several of his victims, there's no way I can ever buy the line that "sex work" (i.e. prostitution) is 'empowering'.

by Anonymousreply 15May 26, 2020 2:46 PM

R15 Prostitution, I believe, is at the top of every list of "Most Dangerous Occupations", of which include illegal occupations.

Drug dealer is always 2nd....SECOND!

by Anonymousreply 16May 26, 2020 2:57 PM

Have I paid for cock, certainly I have. Delicious too.

by Anonymousreply 17May 26, 2020 5:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!