Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you know anyone who was catatonic?

A relative of mine was diagnosed with covid-19. She was at first displaying signs of mania and was taken to the hospital. They had to put her on a ventilator. Now she’s covid-19 free but catatonic. I believe she’s had stage 4 cancer for a number of years and apparently was catatonic before (ECT brought her out of it). She has a history of mental illness. She’s in her early 70s. She’s still unresponsive after two months. They had to put in a trachea. Her immediate family had told me that she has her eyes open from time to time but no reaction to stimuli. Family is unable to see her because of the pandemic.

Have you known anyone who was catatonic? Did it last a very long time? What brought them out of it?

by Anonymousreply 9May 26, 2020 7:09 AM

I have a coworker from Barcelona.

by Anonymousreply 1May 26, 2020 6:03 AM

The idea of the medical bills she's facing, even after Medicare, make me want to go catatonic.

by Anonymousreply 2May 26, 2020 6:08 AM

I'm telling you, NOBODY can survive going into a hospital and staying in there without a loved one to double check what the staff are doing, supplement their care (which even in typical circumstances can be lacking) and provide a moral boost.

I guarantee you because of exhaustion and stress and general neglect, so many more patients are dying simply because they are alone without anyone in there advocating for their well-being the way a constant family, friend or spousal presence can.

by Anonymousreply 3May 26, 2020 6:20 AM

*MORALE

by Anonymousreply 4May 26, 2020 6:20 AM

Her immediate family bought some sort of iBook that is placed beside her and they can try and talk to her and see her.

by Anonymousreply 5May 26, 2020 6:36 AM

My mother already brought up the medical bills. She didn’t even want to think about what her family is facing.

by Anonymousreply 6May 26, 2020 6:37 AM

If she is on Medicare and Medicaid there will probably be no medical bills. If you get a bill just say you can not pay. Some people start paying before they actually have to. You can not get blood from a turnip.

by Anonymousreply 7May 26, 2020 6:42 AM

I was what doctors call “persistent vegetative” - a vegetable.

by Anonymousreply 8May 26, 2020 6:42 AM

Just pull the plug already!

by Anonymousreply 9May 26, 2020 7:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!