Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is the movie business over?

Who will want to sit in a theater after all this. Plus will actors want to fly around the world to film things? Will it return to the old studio days where everything films in Los Angeles?

by Anonymousreply 42June 11, 2020 6:45 PM

Is the movie theater* business over?

Streaming is the future.

by Anonymousreply 1May 26, 2020 4:49 AM

I'm dreading the complete takeover of CGI films with fully animated actors.

by Anonymousreply 2May 26, 2020 4:51 AM

OP, I think you'll find your answer here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 26, 2020 4:51 AM

We’ll have a three year pause. By then, there will be two movie theater companies, and a few studios, Amazon, Disney, Comcast, Fox.

by Anonymousreply 4May 26, 2020 4:52 AM

I don't know what happened with that link. Just go to the website for CBS Sunday Morning and you'll find it right on the homepage.

by Anonymousreply 5May 26, 2020 4:55 AM

I work 2nd shift and my days off are Tues. and Wed., so I'd go to the first showing of the day around 11am. There were always only a handful of people there, mostly college students and retirees.

I really miss it.

by Anonymousreply 6May 26, 2020 4:56 AM

Less traveling out of the country.

Smaller crews.

More restrictions on where you can go when not working to minimize possible exposure.

And a rush to put anything out to fill the void.

Also bye bye theaters! You are going to have trouble with box office not being able to fill every seat.

by Anonymousreply 7May 26, 2020 5:14 AM

I just watched the last season of one of my favorite shows. Throughout I noticed the amount of touching between actors. I know they were set to film the newest season but that’s been put on hold. I’m seriously worried that some of the shows I like will be cancelled or forced to be put on hold until a cure or herd immunity has been proven to sufficiently work.

by Anonymousreply 8May 26, 2020 5:18 AM

But I need two more Oscars!

by Anonymousreply 9May 26, 2020 9:08 PM

I need one!

by Anonymousreply 10May 26, 2020 9:11 PM

The movie business was over the day they decided appealing to foreign audiences ($$$) was more important than appealing to homegrown.

by Anonymousreply 11May 26, 2020 9:17 PM

[quote]The movie business was over the day they decided appealing to foreign audiences ($$$) was more important than appealing to homegrown.

... hence the endless comic book movies, which are nothing but vehicles to create promotional tie-ins globally.

by Anonymousreply 12May 26, 2020 9:30 PM

r11 I thought those crazy profits form the superhero movies were helping the industry. Theaters get butts in the seats and studios/investors have additional money to pour into less profit generating films. Is that not how profits are spread in the industry?

by Anonymousreply 13May 26, 2020 9:40 PM

To me, the movie business was over way before the pandemic began. %15.00 ticket prices, $6.00 boxes of popcorn, $4.00 sodas. That's bad enough. But exhibitors seem to think that as soon as a ticket holder walks through the door, they have every right to continue to market and sell useless shit to me and everybody else every chance they get. Gigantic posters/cut outs in the lobby for coming attractions, commercials running constantly before the show begins, ads for local businesses, then 10-15 previews of coming attractions. Complete bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 14May 26, 2020 10:00 PM

What do you want them to do r14? Thinks got more expensive for everyone involved. I'm fine with a few commercials and snacks (I'll eat their overpriced popcorn until my body or doctor says stop). I may be a bit of a loser, but going to the movies is my family's favorite pass time when I'm home. It's been so crazy to be home for 2.5 months and never going to the theater. I can't wait for it to be safe again.

by Anonymousreply 15May 26, 2020 10:07 PM

When is the last time Hollywood made a movie with more than two pages of dialogue total?

by Anonymousreply 16May 26, 2020 10:13 PM

"Thinks got more expensive for everyone involved. I'm fine with a few commercials and snacks (I'll eat their overpriced popcorn until my body or doctor says stop). I may be a bit of a loser, but going to the movies is my family's favorite pass time when I'm home."

Obviously spelling and grammar were not your favorite "pass" times.

by Anonymousreply 17May 26, 2020 10:30 PM

The dream of a Hollywood career should be 100% over for the anti-vaxxers: Jessica Biel, Alicia Silverstone, Jenny McCarthy, Jim Carrey, Selma Blair, Jenna Elfman, Mayim Bialik, etc etc. More will be outed as more refuse to vaccinate when one becomes available. All should be totally cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 18May 26, 2020 10:33 PM

No. You WISH Corona could end of the movie industry.

by Anonymousreply 19May 27, 2020 12:51 AM

La La Land, here i come!!

by Anonymousreply 20May 27, 2020 12:55 AM

Hollywood needs to bring back the glitz and the glamour. Top grade escapism entertainment with storylines juicier than a ripe orange.

Gorgeous musicals with sequins and glitter galore! Tap dancing and original heartwrenching ballads!

Doe eyed inguenes who fall in love with fast talking men amid backdrops of bustling cities.

Dizzy blonds and rebellious redheads. Elegantly coiffed and dazzingly dressed.

Orchestral overtures that make your hormones jump.

Men who just made women and gay men swoon!

Strong, virile men.

And Stars that radiate the screen!

Where are our Rosalind Russells? Our Carole Lombards? Lana Turners? Joan Crawfords and Bette Davis?

Our Jimmy Stewarts? Rudolph Valentino's? Paul Newmans? Humphrey Bogarts?

by Anonymousreply 21May 27, 2020 1:37 AM

[quote]Where are our Rosalind Russells? Our Carole Lombards? Lana Turners? Joan Crawfords and Bette Davis?

I'm all of them and I'm ALIVE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 27, 2020 1:43 AM

R22 many of this movies and musicals were equally as dull. No matter how well a star is dressed or presence themselves, they will never appear to be a glitzy star from classic Hollywood. You need to stop watching Ryan Murphy’s show and come back to reality.

by Anonymousreply 23May 27, 2020 6:14 AM

My gawd you people talk as if the freakin' coronavirus is all powerful and will last forever!

There's a thing called HERD IMMUNITY. Look it up. Movie theaters may be one of the last things to open fully, but they will. Streaming will do well, but people go to theaters to enjoy the films with an audience.

by Anonymousreply 24May 27, 2020 6:24 AM

R18, note how 98% of those who have gotten sick have recovered without a vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 25May 27, 2020 6:25 AM

The "Herd Immunity" troll is here.

It doesn't quite work like you think it does R24.

[quote]To reach herd immunity for COVID-19, likely 70% or more of the population would need to be immune. Without a vaccine, over 200 million Americans would have to get infected before we reach this threshold. Put another way, even if the current pace of the COVID-19 pandemic continues in the United States – with over 25,000 confirmed cases a day – it will be well into 2021 before we reach herd immunity. If current daily death rates continue, over half a million Americans would be dead from COVID-19 by that time.

Assuming you can actually become immune at all!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 27, 2020 6:36 AM

[quote]enjoy the films with an audience.

Contradiction in terms.

by Anonymousreply 27May 27, 2020 6:54 AM

I look forward to eventually seeing Wonder Woman 1984, Dune, and Tenet in the cinema eventually, amongst other titles.

Fingers crossed that Turn of Mind will get made as planned and be really great!

by Anonymousreply 28May 27, 2020 7:09 AM

Gaming. Video games are now the primary source of entertainment for millions of young men, and have replaced tv and movies in that demographic.

by Anonymousreply 29June 7, 2020 7:33 PM

It might be years before theaters and concert halls open. And how will singers and ballet dancers stay in training for performances? You hone your skills training and closely interacting with others. Singers sing in each others faces and dancers sweat all over each other. I guess people will have to risk it and let the chips fall where they may. Herd immunity comes with a lot of deaths.

by Anonymousreply 30June 7, 2020 7:51 PM

If you have a streaming service or regular cable / satellite, there's enough content for the next year without anything new, considering 90% is garbage that should have never been produced in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 31June 7, 2020 8:02 PM

It's over if they think I'm going to pay $19.99 to rent a new release.

by Anonymousreply 32June 7, 2020 8:06 PM

^^Fuck that shit. That's why pirating is so popular.

by Anonymousreply 33June 7, 2020 8:19 PM

[quote]Selma Blair

Would totally queue up for an entire week if they discovered an MS vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 34June 7, 2020 8:51 PM

Warning: could be triggering below.

Perhaps this Time Out is not such a disaster.

Hollywood/Celebrities/CGI seems to have become a bit bloated and lost their way.

Cutting away excesses and the rot from within might result in something different (and more healthy?) arising from the ashes of an abnormal system?

One can only hope.

by Anonymousreply 35June 7, 2020 8:56 PM

No. Sex theaters can survive the AIDS epidemic, why can't they now with the Covid-19 pandemic? It's just a benign virus that kill obese diabetic geezers with compromised immunity. People are too panicky.

by Anonymousreply 36June 7, 2020 9:00 PM

R21, I think you are on to something. I'd bet the trend turns more toward the classic happy ending and noble heroes. Life is depressing enough.

by Anonymousreply 37June 7, 2020 9:28 PM

R21 & R37 Yes, just ignore the existence of melodramas/weepies, gangster pictures, and film noir... Old Hollywood wasn't all sunshine and rainbows, ya know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 7, 2020 10:12 PM

Yes, I do know, R38. The point was in this environment I thought the trend would be toward the uplifting for the foreseeable future.

Would a bigger font help?

by Anonymousreply 39June 7, 2020 10:29 PM

I love Detour.

by Anonymousreply 40June 7, 2020 10:38 PM

[Quote] Sex theaters can survive the AIDS epidemic,

Where are they?

by Anonymousreply 41June 11, 2020 6:41 PM

While I like the movie theatre experience, the cost is getting high and there are too many people talking and using their phones nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 42June 11, 2020 6:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!