Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Vivian Vance's character on "The Lucy Show" was the first divorced person on TV

Discuss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 26, 2020 5:20 AM

Crazy that Sherwood Schwartz wasn't allowed to make Carol Brady a divorcee 7 years later. Though Florence Henderson always said she had her previous husband killed.

by Anonymousreply 1May 26, 2020 3:59 AM

R1 I think the censors allowed Viv to be divorced because she wasn't remarried. I don't have time to fully research it, but I think she might just have been the first divorced character on a primetime series. I'm sure one of the dozens of daytime soaps that had aired prior to it had to have had a divorced character or two.

by Anonymousreply 2May 26, 2020 4:27 AM

Wasn’t Lucy’s character divorced as well?

That Vivian Vance was quite the trail-blazer!

by Anonymousreply 3May 26, 2020 4:29 AM

R3 No, Lucy was a widow. But, the show was very loosely based on Irene Kampen's book Life Without George, in which both females are divorced.

by Anonymousreply 4May 26, 2020 4:34 AM

So Ann Romano wasn't all that groundbreaking after all.

by Anonymousreply 5May 26, 2020 4:35 AM

R5 Well, Viv never went braless. I was going to let her, but Gary talked me out of it.

by Anonymousreply 6May 26, 2020 4:38 AM

Yes, and allowing this on TV marked the beginning of the downward slide of America’s morality into the cesspool it is today.

by Anonymousreply 7May 26, 2020 5:14 AM

I thought she had Fred Mertz killed for the insurance money and to gain title to that apartment building....

by Anonymousreply 8May 26, 2020 5:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!