Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Airlines and ESAs (emotional support animals)

I have a history of panic attacks that are now well-controlled. Yes, my ESA dog really helps me. I need to fly across the country to visit my parents and the airlines now want you to fill out 3 forms in order to travel with your ESA dog in the cabin: a mental health profession attests that you have a diagnosis, a vet attests that the dog is vaccinated, and you have to attest that the dog is well-behaved.

Does the airline follow-up with your vet and shrink to verify that they did sign those forms?

by Anonymousreply 8May 26, 2020 4:44 AM

It’s hell OP. My vet refuses to vouch for the behavior of my emotional support King Cobra Helen. She’s a good girl!

by Anonymousreply 1May 26, 2020 3:25 AM

Yesterday a Walmart cashier told me her ESA pet was her 18-yr. old cat. I said, "That is really, really old" and she said, "Oh, she's not allowed to die".

by Anonymousreply 2May 26, 2020 3:30 AM

Yeah, it puts these professionals in a weird legal position. I would be happy to pay the pet fee at the airport, but she can't fit under the seat in front of me.

by Anonymousreply 3May 26, 2020 3:31 AM

OP, a Xanax is much cheaper and less hassle.

by Anonymousreply 4May 26, 2020 3:35 AM

Who supports the dog's emotional health, on the outside chance your dog doesn't like to fly?

by Anonymousreply 5May 26, 2020 3:44 AM

If your panic attacks are now well-controlled, you don't need your dog with you. This will be a good opportunity to employ coping mechanisms you've learned from your mental health professional.

Don't blame the airlines for the inconvenience of needing 3 pieces of documentation. Blame people who faked issues and "registered" their ESA online, thus inconveniencing the airlines and other passengers rather than figuring out other options.

Yes, your documentation will be verified.

by Anonymousreply 6May 26, 2020 4:30 AM

I loved the story once posted here that Marie Omond travels with an emotional; support tarantula in a wicker cage.

by Anonymousreply 7May 26, 2020 4:34 AM

Too many people have abused it. I know people who take their dogs to nice restaurants and movie theaters with their emotional support notes.

by Anonymousreply 8May 26, 2020 4:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!