Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

CNN: COVID is killing far more men, but women are the real victims

The novel coronavirus seems to be more deadly for men. But in many other ways, women are bearing the brunt of this pandemic. From a spike in domestic violence and restricted access to family-planning services to disproportionate economic impact, the lockdown measures put in place to stop the outbreak are hurting women and their basic rights a lot more than men. Previous epidemics of Ebola and Zika have resulted in major setbacks for women and girls in the regions most affected by the outbreaks -- and experts and activists are warning the same thing is happening globally right now.

A CNN analysis earlier this year found that in the countries for which data was available, men were 50% more likely than women to die after being diagnosed with Covid-19. But experts say focusing purely on health data is dangerous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 26, 2020 2:58 PM

Real men don’t wear masks!

by Anonymousreply 1May 26, 2020 1:56 AM

[quote] men were 50% more likely than women to die after being diagnosed with Covid-19

Yet it's women who are the "real victims". Whatever you say, CNN.

by Anonymousreply 2May 26, 2020 1:57 AM

Women have always been the primary victims of war.

by Anonymousreply 3May 26, 2020 2:04 AM

Oh, for fuck's sake, in the long run this virus will kill more healthy working people than those fatfucks it has infected.

by Anonymousreply 4May 26, 2020 2:31 AM

I noticed that every so often a news piece comes along identifying a new ‘biggest victim of’. I’m not sure how it’s possible to be more of a victim than those who actually die.

by Anonymousreply 5May 26, 2020 3:42 AM

I hope the biggest victims are Trumpees.

by Anonymousreply 6May 26, 2020 3:44 AM

As a male with a couple chronic illnesses, I've noticed that I get far less attention from medical professionals and my health needs are taken far less seriously than those of women I know. If I complain about lack of care or some emergent condition, I get stifled eye-rolls and told there's nothing to worry about. I experienced this even as autoimmune disease caused sores all over my body, internal hemorrhaging and destroyed 15% of my brain tissue in my early 40s. Even then, doctors were still saying shit like, "My mom has some brain shrinkage too; it's nothing to be concerned about."

Currently as COVID has upstaged all normal medical activities, my CPAP and high blood pressure prescriptions are expired and unrenewed, and I haven't had a primary appointment in 5 1/2 months instead of the every 60 days that insurance recommended. This despite I've contacted my doc's office, the pharmacy and the DME. There's nothing else I can do but call them all again and hope somebody actually does their job.

It doesn't surprise me a bit that men die more often, because when they get sick, nobody gives a shit.

by Anonymousreply 7May 26, 2020 2:16 PM

CNN didn't say "women are the real victims," OP did to start a flame war. CNN just said that men are being hit hard by the virus while women are being hit harder by the secondary effects of the virus.

by Anonymousreply 8May 26, 2020 2:17 PM

You don't need a CPAP prescription unless you're buying a brand new machine. Surely your old machine still works and you don't need a CPAP right now.

Covid affects blood pressure and I'm having trouble believing your doctor's office won't renew your prescription for high blood pressure meds.

by Anonymousreply 9May 26, 2020 2:19 PM

R9 My insurance requires a new order for CPAP supplies every 6 months.

Now that you mention it, the sleep doc said my 5 year replacement date for a new machine came up in February. She said she'd write a new order at my next appointment, which will probably be never, thanks to C19.

The doc's office is messy right now. People are working from home and I guess their usual way of doing things is disrupted. Calls don't get returned and paperwork is not completed or lost. And you can't visit the office in person. The pharmacy said a new prescription is needed. My old pharmacy would call the office themselves but this one told me to do it. I did it. I still don't have anything a week later.

by Anonymousreply 10May 26, 2020 2:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!