Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

NYTimes op-ed: "It's not obesity. It's slavery."

UCalifornia-Irvine sociologist argues that slavery acclimated African-Americans to a poor diet they've never overcome, which is in turn leading to their health problems today. Blacks are 2.4 X more likely to die from COVID than whites.

[quote] Promoting strained associations between race, body size, and complications from this little-understood disease [i.e. COVID-19] has served to reinforce an image of black people as wholly swept up in sensuous pleasures like eating and drinking, which supposedly makes our unruly bodies repositories of preventable weight-related illnesses. The attitudes I see today have echoes of what I described in “Fearing the Black Body: The Racial Origins of Fat Phobia.” My research showed that anti-fat attitudes originated not with medical findings, but with Enlightenment-era belief that overfeeding and fatness were evidence of “savagery” and racial inferiority.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 27, 2020 5:21 AM

Wow. Based on narratives like this, at this rate African-Americans won’t have any agency or free-will of their own.

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2020 11:58 PM

JFC. The Times is really trying to destroy what is left of their reputation.

by Anonymousreply 2May 26, 2020 12:02 AM

It's some vitamin D deficiencies, too.

by Anonymousreply 3May 26, 2020 12:03 AM

Yes, Slavery is responsible for Food Desserts in Inner cities, not to mention why Bodegas stock cheap foods filled with HFCS and Energy drinks for poverty-stricken, Black, Hispanic and Asian people alike.

by Anonymousreply 4May 26, 2020 12:09 AM

"The Times is really trying to destroy what is left of their reputation."

On the heels of the 1619 Project? You betcha!

by Anonymousreply 5May 26, 2020 12:10 AM

ff racebait troll

by Anonymousreply 6May 26, 2020 12:11 AM

If you dont think there are people coming in here to deliberately cause trouble, especially with racism, you’re an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 7May 26, 2020 12:35 AM

The Sulzbergers love to beat the white guilt drum as long as it does not impair their own billionaire lifestyle

by Anonymousreply 8May 26, 2020 12:36 AM

Slave owners opened the first Popeye's.

by Anonymousreply 9May 26, 2020 1:10 AM

I'm all for the premise of this thread, and yet it also exhausts me.

by Anonymousreply 10May 26, 2020 4:51 AM

Obesity?

by Anonymousreply 11May 26, 2020 4:59 AM

The problem with African-Americans is WEED. The smoke is causing them all kinds of health problems (including Covid-19 vulnerability) and smoking marijuana causes pigging-out due to "the munchies".

But no one wants to talk about that.

by Anonymousreply 12May 26, 2020 5:15 AM

Wait, I’d read that smoking actually protects you from Coronavirus, which is why japan, which fucked up its response even worse than America, has been relatively lightly hit.

by Anonymousreply 13May 26, 2020 5:28 AM

Because the Japanese smoke copious amounts of pot!? Well, I never!

by Anonymousreply 14May 26, 2020 5:34 AM

Without evidence from scientific analysis, which is perfectly possible to do in this case, this is fantasy speculation. I wish one could be surprised this sort of stuff gets published.

by Anonymousreply 15May 26, 2020 8:09 AM

R15

The NYTimes is a fantasy paper.

by Anonymousreply 16May 27, 2020 5:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!