Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Noticeable gaps between pilot of first episodes of shows

Pilots are often shot long before a show is picked up. What are some examples of big changes - changes in cast members’ appearance or to the set or what have you - between the pilot and the next episode?

by Anonymousreply 150June 6, 2020 12:57 AM

Don't look at me!

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2020 9:14 PM

Lost In Space (the original series):

Between the pilot and the series the characters of Dr. Smith and the Robot were added, and the spaceship was redesigned and renamed. The original Gemini 12 had a single deck, but it became the Jupiter 2 with a lower deck with living quarters. Don West became a military pilot rather than an astro-geologist, and Judy Robinson was no longer an aspiring musical theatre star. Also, in the pilot Maureen Robinson was a renowned scientist in her own right. In the series, the intended voyage to Alpha Centauri was to take 5 years, but in the pilot it was schedule to last a hundred years, and the ship traveled for an unknown number of years with everyone frozen after being damaged and knocked off course. The Robinsons had no idea what the Earth year really was.

by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2020 9:23 PM

The Nanny. The set was completely different in the first episode... so much so that it’s odd they didn’t reshoot the main living room/foyer scenes once it was picked up. I guess people didn’t really care about continuity as much then.

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2020 9:31 PM

All in the Family had 2 pilots; the first had different actors as Mike and Gloria. Another big difference was Edith's character. She was more intellectual, had political views, and sided mostly with her daughter and son-in-law against Archie. It wasn't until a few episodes into the first season when she became a "dingbat" and her whole personality changed.

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2020 9:36 PM

Just watched Blue Bloods S1E1 and it had a different Niki, Different home kitchen, and a different family dynamic at Sunday Dinner.

Recasting happens a lot depending on the pilot actors' avails for the series.

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2020 9:39 PM

Columbo owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2020 9:40 PM

The Cosby Show changed the set between pilot and series. And the number of kids went up one.

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2020 9:44 PM

Julia had a facelift between the pilot and second episode of Designing Women.

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2020 9:46 PM

R3 The second set was a redress of the house from the cancelled NBC sitcom The Powers That Be. Both were partly produced by Columbia. It surprises me that the pilot was filmed in Hollywood. I always assumed it was filmed in NY without a studio audience, because the foyer looked just like the Llanfair foyer on OLTL. I figured they had rented that set for shooting and redressed it.

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2020 9:56 PM

There was no Captain Kirk in the pilot of Star Trek. Jeffrey Hunter played Captain Pike. Later they were able to incorporate most of the pilot into a two parter as a flashback to get some use out of it..

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2020 9:57 PM

Lost In Space incorporated scenes from the pilot into the first five episodes -Which were very cleverly written to separate the Robinsons from Smith and the Robot (who weren't in the pilot).

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2020 10:07 PM

[quote] All in the Family had 2 pilots; the first had different actors as Mike and Gloria.

There’s actually 3 pilots, including the actors we know. I believe they’re all available on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2020 10:10 PM

R10 - Then they had a second pilot with no McCoy.

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2020 10:10 PM

Star Trek Voyager shot for 2 or 3 days with Geneviève Bujold as the the captain. But she quickly decided she hated it and producers were unhappy with her performance, so she dropped out by mutual agreement. Kate Mulgrew had been the runner up for part and was still available so she took over immediately. Some of Bujold 's footage used to be on youtube.

by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2020 10:11 PM

Living Single was in a suburban-style house for the pilot before they all moved to Khadija's brownstone for the rest of the series.

Blanche's bedroom moved from the front of the house to the back and the lanai shifted as well, but that's DL 101.

The kitchen in Roseanne looked worse in the pilot then what was shown in the rest of the series.

Just a few observations.....

by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2020 10:17 PM

R10 We have to Lucy to thank. The Desilu board was against financing both the first and second pilots, but she overruled them. Thankfully, Gary didn't talk her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 16May 25, 2020 10:19 PM

In the original pilot for the Mary Tyler Moore Show, Phyllis was played by Helen Lawson.

by Anonymousreply 17May 25, 2020 10:20 PM

This is already pretty well-known but Russell Johnson and (I think) Tina Louise were not in the original pilot for "Gilligan's Island" and were brought in once the show went to series. In fact, in the pilot you can even see the original actors who played their roles sleeping on the Minnow at the very beginning after the ship has crashed onto the island.

by Anonymousreply 18May 25, 2020 10:20 PM

R18, honey, I was the star.

by Anonymousreply 19May 25, 2020 10:27 PM

Happy Days - older brother Chuck

by Anonymousreply 20May 25, 2020 10:30 PM

R20 Chuck actually was around until sometime in season 2.

by Anonymousreply 21May 25, 2020 10:35 PM

He was? I never saw the earlier episodes - before my time, but I always heard the joke about him going up the stairs and never coming back. I thought that was the first episode

by Anonymousreply 22May 25, 2020 10:37 PM

R22 He was in 11 episodes spread out over the first two seasons.

by Anonymousreply 23May 25, 2020 10:39 PM

Does this include backdoor pilots?

DL fav "Empty Nest" backdoor pilot with Rita Moreno on the Golden Girls

by Anonymousreply 24May 25, 2020 10:40 PM

The Love Boat, of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 25, 2020 10:43 PM

Roseanne also had a different DJ - who apparently didn't get along with Sara Gilbert, so they fired him and brought in the meathead who still occupies the role.

by Anonymousreply 26May 25, 2020 10:43 PM

R26: Yes, I forgot about that too. Michael Fishman is one of the luckiest kids in the world.

Maude had Marcia Rod as her daughter as opposed to Barbeau, and Walter was her third husband, not fourth.

James Evans was originally Henry Evans in Harlem with Florida before they moved across country to Chicago.

Didn't Lionel Jefferson get married on All in the Family right before The Jeffersons launched and he was single again?

by Anonymousreply 27May 25, 2020 11:11 PM

I remember liking the pilot of Desperate Housewives.

The series sucked.

by Anonymousreply 28May 25, 2020 11:18 PM

The original DJ also had a growth spurt that made him too tall

And Michael Fishman was the spitting image of pre- surgery Roseanne when he was a child

by Anonymousreply 29May 25, 2020 11:28 PM

Marcia Rodd would have made Maude watchable.

by Anonymousreply 30May 25, 2020 11:29 PM

From WP:

Max Showalter (as Casey Adams) portraying Ward Cleaver in the pilot, "It's a Small World" from Leave It to Beaver (April 1957)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 25, 2020 11:31 PM

In the first Curb Your Enthusiasm special, Larry and Cheryl have kids, and I think Jeff and Susie have more kids than just Sammi.

by Anonymousreply 32May 25, 2020 11:32 PM

A small thing, but they cut Eric McCormack's hair after the pilot when Will & Grace sold because they said no gay man would have that style of hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 25, 2020 11:56 PM

In the pilot of The Partridge Family, the interior of their house was a mirror image of how it would be on the series. The bus interior was also blue and yellow, and then cream and orange in all subsequent episodes.

Actually, there were at least two pilots made. In the other pilot it was explained that Mr. Partridge died of alcoholism. And the kids convinced Shirley that she in fact could sing, because she and Mr. Partridge would sing just before Mr. Partridge got so drunk he'd pass out. In this pilot, they lived in Ohio, not San Pueblo. Not making this up. It later aired at least once, but I've never seen it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 26, 2020 12:05 AM

Here's a photo from one of the very first Honeymooners sketches, shown on Dumont's Cavalcade of Stars in 1951. Standing next to Gleason is the original Alice, Pert Kelton. She played the part for some time but was abruptly dropped after she and her husband were blacklisted during the McCarthy era. She kept her career alive by turning to the stage. You remember her from The Music Man, playing Marian's mother Mrs. Paroo, a part she had created in the original Broadway production.

To Kelton's left is the very first appearance of Norton's wife Trixie. In this sketch she was a burlesque dancer. The actress was replaced in the very next sketch by Joyce Randolph and never appeared in The Honeymooners again. Have you recognized her yet? It's DL's own Elaine Stritch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 26, 2020 12:10 AM

On Star Trek, even more glaring was that Majel Barret was demoted from Number One, went back to nursing school and returned as Nurse Chapel.

by Anonymousreply 36May 26, 2020 12:13 AM

R36 Who cares she married Roddenberry and became the First Lady of Star Trek, voiced the computers, and had got to play Lwaxana Troi in TNG. If she had played a bigger role in TOS, she wouldn't have been cast in TNG.

by Anonymousreply 37May 26, 2020 12:24 AM

In the pilot for Leave It to Beaver, the Cleaver's only had one son. And Barbara Billingsley's vagina played a more prominent role.

by Anonymousreply 38May 26, 2020 12:33 AM

Changes in main or recurring cast members: New Girl, Man With A Plan (Jenna Fischer), Friends (Carol)

by Anonymousreply 39May 26, 2020 12:35 AM

Any examples of physical change of the cast?

by Anonymousreply 40May 26, 2020 12:35 AM

CSI Las Vegas. In the pilot, William Petersen was much younger and leaner and much hunkier. He aged and chubbed out quickly early during the series.

He was good-looking and sexy and masculine, but was 50yo and looked 60ish!

by Anonymousreply 41May 26, 2020 12:39 AM

That doesn't make any sense, R38, because Beaver was called Beaver because Wally couldn't pronounce Theodore. Oh, I see what you did there.

by Anonymousreply 42May 26, 2020 12:42 AM

R42, just checking to see who is paying attention.

by Anonymousreply 43May 26, 2020 1:05 AM

OMG, r38, r42, r43.... I just got it.

by Anonymousreply 44May 26, 2020 2:49 AM

Family.

The pilot sat on the shelf for about a year, and Kristy McNichol (credited as 'Kristie McNichol' in the pilot) looked much older between episodes one and two of the first season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 26, 2020 2:58 AM

Florencia Lozano played Eleanor Waldorf on the pilot episode of Gossip Girl. Margaret Colin played the character after that.

Also, Chuck Bass rides the bus in the pilot. Something Chuck Bass would never do.

by Anonymousreply 46May 26, 2020 2:59 AM

On The Sopranos, Meadow is much heavier after the pilot. This is because the actress who played her had an eating disorder and was treated for it before the series started.

by Anonymousreply 47May 26, 2020 3:01 AM

Showalter and Beaumont were both gay but Beaumont was more successfully closeted and passed better as straight.

Max Showalter was his real name and what he he used as his stage name originally. When he signed with 20th Century Fox, Zanuck made him change it to Casey Adams, which Zanuck thought would be more commercial. When his Fox contract finally ended years later, Showalter went back to his real name.

You'll recognize him as one of the traveling salesman in the film of The Music Man and hundreds of TV guest spots. He also played Horace Vandergelder hundreds of times in the original production of Hello, Dolly, including opposite Merman when she closed the show.

by Anonymousreply 48May 26, 2020 3:08 AM

I love the shoe Succession in HBO, but in the pilot the younger son clearly has a child. She sits on his lap while they are in the helicopter to the baseball field. After the pilot the child is never mentioned or seen again. I’m glad the dropped the child because it was better for the character, but something I didn’t miss.

by Anonymousreply 49May 26, 2020 3:10 AM

Bobby was ginger in the pilot of The Brady Bunch

by Anonymousreply 50May 26, 2020 3:15 AM

Another actress with red hair was in the pilot of "Seinfeld," not Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

by Anonymousreply 51May 26, 2020 3:40 AM

By the way, she didn't play Elaine. She played another character.

by Anonymousreply 52May 26, 2020 3:41 AM

R51, and Kramer, though still played by Michael Richards, was called Kessler.

by Anonymousreply 53May 26, 2020 3:43 AM

I seriously doubted the existence of a second Partridge Family pilot -But I looked it up and it is there on a David Cassidy website. The father wasn't an alcoholic -He just had to get a few drinks into his wife to get her to sing "Sentimental Journey" at Christmas. Just a few small changes from the one that was aired originally.

I bow to my Datalounge betters who know more than I do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 26, 2020 3:44 AM

R49, I wondered about that whilst binging 'Succession'. I'm glad I'm not the only one who caught Roman with his daughter in the pilot. I kept second-guessing myself and thinking it was a niece, but he spoke to her (and of her) like a daughter.

by Anonymousreply 55May 26, 2020 3:52 AM

In the beginning of The office Kelly was a rather subdued and professional individual. She only later became the immature, celebrity obsessed valley girl character she is known for. I think the evolution worked comedically though.

by Anonymousreply 56May 26, 2020 4:32 AM

r54 Thank You!!!!!!!!! I was not expecting a link to the fabled second pilot. Wow.

--r34

by Anonymousreply 57May 26, 2020 6:02 AM

Parenthood starring Maura Tierney. I would have preferred her to Lauren Graham, personally.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58May 26, 2020 6:17 AM

Yeah, Maura Tierney would have been much better in Parenthood than Lauren Graham with her hammy acting and weird face/neck bloat issues.

by Anonymousreply 59May 26, 2020 6:21 AM

Three To Get Ready. Looks like the pilot was removed from YouTube unfortunately.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60May 26, 2020 6:24 AM

There's a lot of additional dialogue between the kids as their on the bus riding through Hollywood.

There's that bit with Laurie discussing her father drinking and singing.

Shirley's name was Connie.

As they pulled up to Caesars Palace they encounter a costumed guard at the door who directs them to a parking area.

In addition to the neighbor girl playing the drums at the end, there are two additional setup scenes.

One shows Danny's voice changing and losing the ability to sing.

The other shows Shirley(Connie) return to her hotel room with her date (Jack Cassidy), after he asks her to marry him.

Finally, before the last shot of the bus rolling down PCH, there's another shot of it driving down Malibu Canyon. It makes sense because they use the Malibu Canyon tunnel in several later episodes. They reused the same bus in Malibu footage over and over again throughout the series, but I'd never seen that one.

--r34

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61May 26, 2020 6:26 AM

They're*************

I must correct myself.

by Anonymousreply 62May 26, 2020 6:29 AM

Ally McBeal - Ally has a big haircut and they cast Peter MacNichol as John Cage.

Desperate Housewives - a lot of the house interiors/layouts change.

by Anonymousreply 63May 26, 2020 6:31 AM

MSCL - I think it was on the audio commentary they mentioned there was like a six month gap between the pilot and second episode so they had to deal with some major growth spurts amongst the teen cast ...Devon Gummersall in particular. He did look like a baby in the pilot.

And Patty had long hair. I think Bess Armstrong wore a wig in the second episode up until the time Patty comes home with a short ‘do, much to Graham’s dismay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64May 26, 2020 6:34 AM

The Waltons - changes to the cast including a new Momma, Grandad and Baldwin sisters. Plus a nicer house.

by Anonymousreply 65May 26, 2020 6:37 AM

30 Rock pilot was reshot - Rachel Dratch was replaced by Jane Krakowski

Amazing that Elaine Stritch was in both this series and the Honeymooners

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 26, 2020 6:41 AM

Pilot...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67May 26, 2020 6:47 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68May 26, 2020 6:47 AM

The Other Two

Andy Ridings from the pilot to him in another full body shot in episode 4. He had the abs in episode 2 but were hidden mostly by clothes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69May 26, 2020 6:50 AM

Charmed starring Lori Rom

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70May 26, 2020 6:51 AM

Alex Borstein as Sookie on Gilmore Girls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71May 26, 2020 6:56 AM

r69 and many will have you believe that only women are forced to maintain a certain body type in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 72May 26, 2020 6:58 AM

Karen’s voice was originally lower.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73May 26, 2020 6:59 AM

There was a heavy set actress who played Willow in the pilot of Buffy, but Joss Whedon won’t cast an actress who isn’t dangerously thin so she was quickly fired.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74May 26, 2020 6:59 AM

Benton actually smiled and even acted chummy with the other docs in the ER pilot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75May 26, 2020 7:05 AM

Some facts about a few of the postings above:

*Maura Tierney had to drop out of Parenthood due to a cancer diagnosis. Fortunately, she fully recovered and went on to do 5 seasons of The Affair, and she was sensational!

*David Kelley originally developed Ally McBeal for Bridget Fonda. Calista looks a lot like Bridget in the pilot.

*Lori Rom dropped out of Charmed because playing a witch went against her religion!

by Anonymousreply 76May 26, 2020 7:08 AM

The OP didn’t want to talk about shows that had unaired pilots that were very different from the series, i.e. with different actors or characters.

He wants to talk about shows where there were noticeable changes from the first broadcast episode, which would have been a pilot shot months before the rest of the series, to the second.

For example, in the pilot of Twin Peaks Audrey has a different hairdo than she does in the following episodes, and the first episode was shot on location in Washington while the series was shot on sets in California, so everything looks different.

by Anonymousreply 77May 26, 2020 7:11 AM

Raising Hope- the actress playing Sabrina’s cousin originally was to play Jimmy’s cousin who also lived with the family. And another actress played Sabrina.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78May 26, 2020 7:13 AM

R77 Thank you so much for pointing that out to us. I'm sure OP is appreciative! But had we stuck to OP's script, this thread might have petered out at 30 replies.

Just like with pilot episodes, sometimes a supporting role can branch out to a life of it's own.

by Anonymousreply 79May 26, 2020 7:21 AM

Wasn't the "Designing Women" pilot shot on film? I remember the quality being significantly different and also the set for Julia's living room.

by Anonymousreply 80May 26, 2020 7:31 AM

I want to say that Ted was slightly more intelligent in the pilot episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show...but it’s been years since I watched it and I could be wrong. I also seem to remember Murray being aloof to Mary (and they should have stuck with him playing a bitchy gay character instead of the boring one he ended up playing, IMO)..

On the other hand, Leslie Knope was much closer to playing a Michael Scott type of a character originally on Parks and Recreation. I think it took them until Season 2 to get her character in the right direction.

by Anonymousreply 81May 26, 2020 7:35 AM

Alfred Lutter, who played Tommy in the 1974 film Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, reprised the role in the 1976 pilot of Alice. He was replaced by (RIP) Philip McKeon in the series.

by Anonymousreply 82May 26, 2020 7:42 AM

Here's another well known one. When Jean Stapleton's contract for All in the Family was up, she declined to renew because she was tired of playing Edith as The Dingbat, which wasn't how the part had been originally conceived. But she was very popular and CBS was anxious to keep her, so they put several projects into pre-production for her to choose from. In one, she would have played an amateur detective in a small town in Maine. Stapleton read the pilot script and was interested so more work on the project was done. In the end, Stapleton passed, so the producers shopped it around and the first actress to say Yes was Angela Lansbury. Hello, Murder She Wrote.

by Anonymousreply 83May 26, 2020 7:50 AM

R83 Pretty cool. I'd never heard that about Stapleton and Murder, She Wrote. However, I find it slightly implausible that Stapleton would have been unhappy continuing to play a character that brought her 2 Emmys! (or was it 3?) The near-rape episode is iconic!

Rapist: Is that perfume you're wearing?

Edith: It's Lemon Pledge!! (as she runs for her life!)

One of those few rare "serious" episodes that brilliantly mixed humor with pathos.

by Anonymousreply 84May 26, 2020 7:55 AM

The pilot for The Brady Bunch was shot 6 months to a year before the series was picked up so the kids all look really little in that first episode. Also the house is different than the one in the rest of the series and the girls had a cat that is never mentioned again.

by Anonymousreply 85May 26, 2020 8:17 AM

Big Bang Theory r40. They had a different character as the female lead. Its weird watching it now.

by Anonymousreply 86May 26, 2020 9:19 AM

R84, as someone mentioned upthread, Edith was a much more informed and intelligent woman in the early episodes of All in the Family, usually siding with Mike and Gloria. Stapleton hated playing stupid, but that's what started selling, so she went along.

I'll copy some comments I made recently in another thread:

[quote]Most people don't know that Jean Stapleton had a fine singing voice and played in several major musicals during the 1950s, including the original productions of Damn Yankees and Bells Are Ringing. Anyway she regularly appeared in her husband's summer stock theater productions. She slowed down her participation as the years went along but after All in the Family, she tried to make at least one appearance a season, as "Edith Bunker" always sold out the playhouse for the run of the show.

[quote]During the 1980s she starred in Hello, Dolly! there. During the title song, she made one tiny change to the lyrics. As she stood there, all glammed up in the red sequined dress, instead of singing "Wow, wow, wow, fellas, look at the old girl now, fellas" she'd sing "Wow, wow, wow, fellas, look at the Dingbat now, fellas" and it always brought down the house.

by Anonymousreply 87May 26, 2020 10:00 AM

Notes

[quote]30 Rock pilot was reshot - Rachel Dratch was replaced by Jane Krakowski

Cerie Xerox was also played by a completely different actress who was gone by the time the show went on the air.

[quote]There was a heavy set actress who played Willow in the pilot of Buffy, but Joss Whedon won’t cast an actress who isn’t dangerously thin so she was quickly fired.

I saw the pilot and she was actually terrible. It was a good thing she was replaced.

Also fun fact: Bianca Lawson (who never ages) -- and is also now Beyonce's step-sister -- was originally cast as Cordelia Chase but had to drop out before shooting because a pilot she auditioned for (Good Behavior with Sherman Helmsley) got picked up and they took precedence over anything else she was cast in.

Joss liked her enough to bring her back as Kendra the Vampire Slayer later on in the show's run.

by Anonymousreply 88May 26, 2020 10:06 AM

Also in the Sopranos: A different family priest. And Sylvio wasn't a member of Tony's crew; he was just a strip club owner who'd drop by the meat market and do odd jobs (like blow up a restaurant).

by Anonymousreply 89May 26, 2020 12:04 PM

[quote] Just like with pilot episodes, sometimes a supporting role can branch out to a life of it's own.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 90May 26, 2020 1:19 PM

[quote]sometimes a supporting role can branch out to a life of it's own.

That NEVER happens.

by Anonymousreply 91May 26, 2020 1:20 PM

[quote] You remember her from The Music Man, playing Marian's mother Mrs. Paroo, a part she had created in the original Broadway production.

Can any of you theatre guys explain this to me. I see things like this referenced often. How does it work?

Does the actor say, “hey I want a part in this play. Here’s a character I made up”? How does that character get incorporated into the play then? How does one “add” a character to an already written play?

by Anonymousreply 92May 26, 2020 1:22 PM

Beverly Hills, 90210. Completely different house was used. The original father was replaced by hairy James Eckhouse after filming, His spliced in scenes are actually from the sets when it went to series. The black principal and spanish teacher were dropped. Tori went from an under 5 to supporting cast. Brenda's bangs were chopped off.

by Anonymousreply 93May 26, 2020 1:38 PM

R93 and Cindy seemed a bit more feisty when she just throws all of their packed up shit on the floor.

by Anonymousreply 94May 26, 2020 1:53 PM

R87: I think I saw a YouTube clip of the Marie Osmand Show or some talk show where both Caroll O'Conner and Jean Stapleton appeared. Maybe a show anniversary or something. But Jean would NOT do the high-pitched dingbat voice. The hosts (I think it was the Osmands) kept wanting her to do it and should refused, saying she doesn't do it anymore. So I can see where she resented the role somewhat.

by Anonymousreply 95May 26, 2020 2:38 PM

The Brady's left Fluffy the Cat by the side of the road apparently. Or maybe Tiger ate her/him. Either way the girls beloved cat got the shaft after the pilot and was never again mentioned. At least the grandparents got one mention after that. Maybe they ended up taking care of her/him.

We will never know.

by Anonymousreply 96May 26, 2020 3:48 PM

US version of The Office. Somewhere in middle of first season, Steve Carrell got hair plugs, dropped about 30 pounds, and got a perma-bronze.

by Anonymousreply 97May 26, 2020 4:06 PM

Elyse Keaton only had one sibling on Family Ties, a brother named Ned until a never referenced sister in a later season showed up.

Jack on Will and Grace seemed more grounded in the pilot episode and not as flamboyant.

by Anonymousreply 98May 26, 2020 4:18 PM

r98, one mystery sibling? Try keeping track of the children and other relatives of the Golden Girls. The writers and producers certainly couldn't.

by Anonymousreply 99May 26, 2020 4:21 PM

Golden Girls threw continuity out of the window and never looked back but Family Ties was usually consistent unless you count Alex and his out of nowhere dead best friend that he won an Emmy for in the overrated "A My Name is Alex"

by Anonymousreply 100May 26, 2020 4:39 PM

Murder, She Wrote: Jessica in the pilot was written and played as an eccentric, aged, simple woman who was intimidated by the big city. She even gets her sole passionate kiss of the whole show and admits she's almost falling in love!

Jessica from the pilot would never have been friends with all the high-flyers and glamorous people she would later call "dear old friends".

Much of these traits had gone by the time the second episode aired and Jess slowly became more cosmopolitan throughout the first season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101May 26, 2020 5:14 PM

In the original pilot of Gimme a Break, Kari Michaelsen was the only kid who went on to the series. There was a little blond tomboy with braids and a redheaded little boy who were never seen again, starting at 1:42 in the clip. Also the set was different.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102May 26, 2020 5:14 PM

^And the tomboy was Tracey Gold.

by Anonymousreply 103May 26, 2020 5:16 PM

I think it's pretty well established that Jean Stapleton resented being typecast as Edith Bunker. I've never understood that. You're making tons of money on a hit show playing a character who is beloved: what's the problem? If the scripts are still good, why would you be unhappy? I get that at some point the show has passed it prime, but she left way before the show ended.

Another Seinfeld difference: Newman was originally played as an off-screen character by Larry David. They have a clip of Newman threatening to jump off the roof with Larry David's voice. Apparently for syndication, they re-dubbed the voice with Wayne Knight once he had established the character. For a show which had almost zero continuity (Larry David decreed it was all about being funny; the characters need not have consistent traits if it conflicted with the funny), that's an interesting and seemingly minor thing to go to the trouble to do.

by Anonymousreply 104May 26, 2020 5:37 PM

Sex and the City - Carrie had red short curly hair and her apartment was different.

by Anonymousreply 105May 26, 2020 5:49 PM

Eight is Enough pilot had David played by some guy named Mark Hamil.

by Anonymousreply 106May 26, 2020 5:55 PM

R104 They did the same thing when Jerry Stiller took over the role of Frank Costanza.

by Anonymousreply 107May 26, 2020 6:02 PM

R102, the boy is Cory Yothers, yes Tina's little brother.

by Anonymousreply 108May 26, 2020 6:31 PM

[quote]Here's a photo from one of the very first Honeymooners sketches, shown on Dumont's Cavalcade of Stars in 1951. Standing next to Gleason is the original Alice, Pert Kelton. She played the part for some time but was abruptly dropped after she and her husband were blacklisted during the McCarthy era. She kept her career alive by turning to the stage. You remember her from The Music Man, playing Marian's mother Mrs. Paroo, a part she had created in the original Broadway production.

And she returned to "The Honeymooners" playing Alice's mother (i.e., Ralph's mother-in-law.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109May 26, 2020 6:36 PM

Nell's said her father died in the pilot but showed up later on and died again.

by Anonymousreply 110May 26, 2020 6:36 PM

Sandy Helberg in R25 is Simon Helberg's (Big Bang Theory) father.

by Anonymousreply 111May 26, 2020 6:36 PM

In the Hazel pilot, Mr. B was played by Edward Andrews and not Don Defore.

In the Days of our Lives pilot, Alice Horton was played by Mary Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 112May 26, 2020 6:42 PM

[quote] hairy James Eckhouse

yummo!

by Anonymousreply 113May 26, 2020 6:54 PM

Babylon 5 I think was close to 2-years from pilot to first episode.

by Anonymousreply 114May 26, 2020 7:00 PM

I believe The Facts of Life's pilot had more girls. Then the decision was made to focus on those few.

by Anonymousreply 115May 26, 2020 7:47 PM

The whole FIRST SEASON had more girls, R115.

by Anonymousreply 116May 26, 2020 7:52 PM

Wow, r109, I had no idea.

That’s some interesting shit.

by Anonymousreply 117May 26, 2020 7:55 PM

[quote] There was a heavy set actress who played Willow in the pilot of Buffy, but Joss Whedon won’t cast an actress who isn’t dangerously thin so she was quickly fired.

Jewel Staite was anything but a stick figure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118May 26, 2020 7:56 PM

[quote] The whole FIRST SEASON had more girls,

That's where the classic Mrs. Garrett "girls, girls, girls" line came from.

by Anonymousreply 119May 26, 2020 7:56 PM

Not a pilot but in the first appearance of Laverne and Shirley (on Happy Days) they were less...virtuous. Especially Shirley.

by Anonymousreply 120May 26, 2020 8:00 PM

I love a hun in uniform

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121May 26, 2020 8:07 PM

R106, there was a different Nancy (Kimberly Beck, final girl in Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter) and a different Tommy (Chris English) as well in the pilot. They were scrapped due to poor performances.

by Anonymousreply 122May 26, 2020 8:16 PM

Shirley Feeney had a New York accent too, just like Laverne DeFazio.

by Anonymousreply 123May 26, 2020 8:23 PM

[quote]I think it's pretty well established that Jean Stapleton resented being typecast as Edith Bunker. I've never understood that. You're making tons of money on a hit show playing a character who is beloved: what's the problem? If the scripts are still good, why would you be unhappy? I get that at some point the show has passed it prime, but she left way before the show ended.

If I remember correctly (and perhaps R87 can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong), Jean Stapleton stayed with "All in the Family" until it went off and transitioned into "Archie Bunker's Place," after which she continued to make guest appearances as Edith for maybe the first season or two. After she grew tired of making the guest appearances and declined to do it anymore, that was when the producers decided to kill off the character, saying it would be the only way to explain Edith not being in the house whenever we would see Archie at home. (The emotional scene Carroll O'Connor played in their bedroom after her funeral is to this day one of the best scenes in the show's history.)

by Anonymousreply 124May 26, 2020 8:57 PM

I never thought Jean was resentful of Edith or being typecast - she was proud of her work - but from what I have seen, when she was done, she was done. The Donny & Marie appearance was a bit weird, but she didn't want to do the voice - I think for her it was a performance and she needed to get into the mindset to do it, and just didn't want to do it on command.

by Anonymousreply 125May 26, 2020 8:59 PM

When Laverne and Shirley were introduced on Happy Days both definitely came off as more rough around the edges types of girls, more eager ones, anyway.

Of course when it became a series they had to develop the characters more fully.

by Anonymousreply 126May 26, 2020 9:00 PM

I could be wrong but I seem to recall that Jennifer Hart carried a gun in the 1979 pilot for "Hart to Hart" (I do remember Stefanie Powers holding one in photos advertising the show during the summer leading up to its premiere). Of course, in the actual series, neither Hart carried any kind of weapon.

by Anonymousreply 127May 26, 2020 9:01 PM

r127 You'd think people held hostage in their home on a weekly basis would carry.

by Anonymousreply 128May 26, 2020 9:05 PM

Seinfeld's pilot was different from episode 1 and a few after that. George Costanza was little more than a terrible Woody Allen impression. Jason Alexander has admitted to playing George as Woody in the beginning because he couldn't get a sense of George's character. Also, I don't think Elaine was introduced until quite a few episodes were filmed.

by Anonymousreply 129May 26, 2020 9:10 PM

The pilot of 90210 had a different house for the Walshes, a different actress playing Kelly's mom, and no Dylan. James Eckhouse was also a late addition and all his scenes were re-filmed after the original actor playing Jim Walsh was let go.

by Anonymousreply 130May 26, 2020 9:16 PM

[quote]When Laverne and Shirley were introduced on Happy Days both definitely came off as more rough around the edges types of girls, more eager ones, anyway.

They were definitely a bit more fast and loose in their first Happy Days episode, esp. Shirley who became much more prim and proper.

The Mork back-door pilot was a little odd, where he ended up being a nightmare Richie was having.

by Anonymousreply 131May 26, 2020 9:17 PM

R99: GG was consistent with Sophia having Dorothy, Phil and Gloria. And for Dorothy having Kate and Michael.

But for Rose, they seemed to just focus on Kirsten and Bridget, with some mention of other kids. Blanche was all over the place with how many kids she popped out. Rose was all over the place with her siblings and whether her mother was still alive or not after that first season appearance. Gay Clayton wasn't added to Holingsworth manor until much later, and Angelo didn't exists until season 3, when Sophia only had Angela as her last immediate family.

I think this topic should be a new thread.....

by Anonymousreply 132May 26, 2020 9:17 PM

[quote] When Laverne and Shirley were introduced on Happy Days both definitely came off as more rough around the edges types of girls, more eager ones, anyway. They were definitely a bit more fast and loose...The Mork back-door pilot was a little odd

They were slutbags. And Laverne took it up the back-door.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133May 26, 2020 9:25 PM

R118 - Joss had her gain weight to play Kaylee.

by Anonymousreply 134May 26, 2020 10:09 PM

R131 In their Happy Days introduction they very much reminded me of "The Fun Girls" on The Andy Griffith Show.

by Anonymousreply 135May 26, 2020 10:22 PM

R133 They definitely were originally the type of girls who voh-de-oh-do'ed.

by Anonymousreply 136May 26, 2020 10:41 PM

[quote] If I remember correctly (and perhaps [R87] can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong), Jean Stapleton stayed with "All in the Family" until it went off and transitioned into "Archie Bunker's Place," after which she continued to make guest appearances as Edith for maybe the first season or two. After she grew tired of making the guest appearances and declined to do it anymore, that was when the producers decided to kill off the character, saying it would be the only way to explain Edith not being in the house whenever we would see Archie at home. (The emotional scene Carroll O'Connor played in their bedroom after her funeral is to this day one of the best scenes in the show's history.)

You are correct, sir.

by Anonymousreply 137May 26, 2020 10:51 PM

[quote] I think this topic should be a new thread.....

Good idea. Especially because that exact topic hasn’t ever been done here

Nope. Not one time.

by Anonymousreply 138May 26, 2020 11:34 PM

R130 meet R93

by Anonymousreply 139May 27, 2020 12:41 AM

The Cohen's had a maid and a dog on the first episode of The OC. Both disappear either in the next episode, or soon after.

by Anonymousreply 140May 27, 2020 12:52 AM

Ryan and Marissa have a cigarette out in the street in The O.C. pilot. The network said they could leave it in the first episode, but they couldn't ever smoke again.

by Anonymousreply 141May 27, 2020 2:34 AM

Thank you, R137.

by Anonymousreply 142May 27, 2020 3:28 AM

R141 I love how they reenact that scene later on using chips.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143May 27, 2020 10:40 AM

Righ R126

by Anonymousreply 144May 29, 2020 8:02 PM

[quote]R24 Does this include backdoor pilots?

Is this code?

Because Personally, I’m looking for a backdoor pilot, myself.

by Anonymousreply 145May 29, 2020 9:03 PM

In the first episode of "Bewitched," Samantha told Darrin that she could "only do little things," which of course was the complete opposite of all the god-like powers she and her family displayed throughout the series.

by Anonymousreply 146June 4, 2020 6:15 AM

She could have been lying to Darren, you know.

by Anonymousreply 147June 5, 2020 1:12 AM

Yes, [R147], she could lie to Darren. She certainly did about her age, denying that centuries-old portraits were of her. But if you watch the first season episodes,, especially the first dozer or so, Samantha's powers are mostly limited to lighting a fire or causing a wind to blow or a hairdo to go haywire. With each successive episode the writers gave her more powers.

by Anonymousreply 148June 5, 2020 1:24 AM

One of the more jarring instances was that of the ill-fated cult science fiction series, 'Fantastic Journey' (1977) which, by the beginning of its second episode, suddenly lost half of its original cast, with no clear in-narrative explanation. "They are back in their own time," a second episode character played by Gary Collins tells our remaining protagonists, to the astonishment, confusion and dismay of both our main characters as well as viewers.

Gradually, the central group expands. By the end of episode two, they're joined by a woman (Katie Saylor), half-human and half-extraterrestrial, who communicates with her cat. By the end of the third episode, they've picked up Roddy McDowall, who promises to be a continuing source of drama and uncertainty, almost like Lost in Space's Dr Smith, except far less greedy and somewhat more reliable. The sixth episode threatened to remove regular Jared Martin from the cast, and given the way the series had run till that point, up until the end of that episode, viewers had no reason to believe he would not leave. After the eighth episode, cat lady Katie Saylor fell seriously ill, and had to drop out of episodes nine and ten. Her intention had been to return, but the opportunity never came; 'The Fantastic Journey' was suddenly cancelled, leaving fans to wonder what might have been.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149June 5, 2020 2:18 AM

In the Pilot of Two Broke Girls, Han speaks broken English and is studying to become an American citizen. For the rest of the series, though heavily accented, his English in fine. Caroline has a different hairstyle than the one she has in the next episode and Max's hair is a much darker shade.

by Anonymousreply 150June 6, 2020 12:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!