Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Doctors speak out about effects of lockdown in letter to Trump

This is troubling. I myself have a parent in an elder facility and I think the isolation is killing her, at least mentality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 28, 2020 4:36 PM

Physicians can be terribly libertarian. Fools. They know one thing and that's medicine. I can't tell you how many doctors/physicians I've met that are morons.

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2020 4:40 PM

I think we’re going to find that we did a lot of things incorrectly but then we were not prepared and we know who is to blame for that.

by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2020 4:46 PM

So they got 600 right-wing physicians to pen a letter. Big deal - Dr. Marilyn Singleton is a right-wing activist who actives seeks some political office.

This is all stuff we already know. More right-wing bullshit to enrage people. Most states are opening up anyway.

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2020 4:48 PM

R1 they barely know Medicine. Most doctors are egomaniacs who treat symptoms. Like when some fat Trigglypuff comes in their office and they treat their diabetes and HBP but not a peep about dietary changes. Dumbass doctors, pharmaceuticals & medical schools are a big part of why Americans are fatass messes.

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2020 4:50 PM

OP get ready to be called a Russian by the schizophrenic queens here

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2020 4:59 PM

This isn't surprising. For instance just a few years ago we were being warned about a "loneliness epidemic" among the elderly, and people were being urged to visit them. Now, we are locking that same population away for months at a time, and told to not visit them. Of course, it is going to cause problems.

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2020 4:59 PM

Remodel the places with visiting booths like prisons.

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2020 5:01 PM

I would not let a parent stay in a care facility during the pandemic.

Bring them into your home until there's a vaccine or herd immunity. Rest homes are corona traps.

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2020 5:05 PM

OP - how is the isolation in an elderly care unit killing her when she has people checking in on her and other patients around?

Elderly in isolation at home by themselves would be much worse.

And yes, these places have an extremely high infection rate from visitors / others bringing it in. So what is it?

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2020 5:28 PM

I republicans weren’t in power we would have been prepared, but they had to gut the cdc and disband the pandemic response team to get money for their precious wall!

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2020 5:44 PM

Doctors are hurting financially because of the elective lockdown. My partner was going to have his knee done in July and the doctor called and practically begged him to do it this week.

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2020 5:57 PM

R10 fact check

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2020 5:58 PM

R12.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2020 6:08 PM

More for r12

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2020 6:08 PM

Yet more for r12

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2020 6:09 PM

And more r12

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 25, 2020 6:10 PM

And more r12

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 25, 2020 6:11 PM

It never stops r12

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 25, 2020 6:11 PM

It’s raining receipts r12

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 25, 2020 6:12 PM

I don’t have time to continue posting receipts r12. I would be doing it all day.

by Anonymousreply 20May 25, 2020 6:14 PM

But here’s another r12

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 25, 2020 6:15 PM

Those are all media outlets not fact-checkers that check the media.

by Anonymousreply 22May 25, 2020 6:16 PM

Bullshit, R22. They're all sourced, which is what reputable media outlets actually do.

by Anonymousreply 23May 25, 2020 6:17 PM

Good Journalists are fact checkers, dumbass! R22

by Anonymousreply 24May 25, 2020 6:18 PM

R23 And my fact check was from factcheck.org, A Project of The Annenberg Public Policy Center, not a partisan organization. They are the gold standard of fact-checkers. Most of your "receipts" are about other issues, not the issue I posted about. The CDC was not gutted.

R22 Too many journalists aren't being good fact-checkers these days, dumbass. That is why we have fact-checkers. There have been numerous news stories over the past decade that turned out to be poorly sourced and wrong.

by Anonymousreply 25May 25, 2020 6:23 PM

Hi everybody, it’s me, r25

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 25, 2020 6:26 PM

More for r25

And this was just in February! Taken from his own budget!

[quote] Despite increasing health threats, the White House is calling for slashing hundreds of millions of dollars from the country’s lead public health agencies.

[quote] In February, President Donald Trump released his federal budget proposal for fiscal year 2021, calling for a cut of more than $693 million at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, as well as a $742 million cut to programs at the Health Resources and Services Administration. Overall, the president’s budget proposes a 9% funding cut at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, a 26% cut at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, massive cuts in Medicare and Medicaid spending, and funding decreases for safety net programs such as food and housing assistance.

[quote] “This budget, put simply, is a disinvestment in the health of Americans,” said APHA Executive Director Georges Benjamin, MD, in a news release. “We have an incredibly dedicated public health workforce that is ready to act. But we need federal investments to make that happen. An adequate and rational investment in the health of Americans is missing from this budget.”

[quote] Within the CDC budget proposal, the White House is calling for a more than $426 million cut to chronic disease prevention and health promotion, a $152 million cut at the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, and a more than $85 million cut to emerging and zoonotic infectious diseases work. It proposes more than $48 million in cuts to CDC’s National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities, and would cut over $38 million for global health activities, reduce funding for public health preparedness and response by more than $25 million, and shear nearly $32 million from environmental health work, including a proposal to eliminate CDC’s crucial Climate and Health Program. The Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry faces a more than $14 million cut.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 25, 2020 6:32 PM

Oh, just F/F and Ignore the troll....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 25, 2020 6:41 PM

R8, And if your relative needs rehab for a broken bone, or has dementia, or has mobility problems, then where do you go?

by Anonymousreply 29May 25, 2020 8:49 PM

The article is a propaganda piece from The Association of American Physicians and Surgeons. This is an association that no reputable physician belongs to, because it promotes quackery.

"The association advocates a range of scientifically discredited hypotheses, including the belief that HIV does not cause AIDS, that being gay reduces life expectancy, that there is a link between abortion and breast cancer, and that there is a causal relationship between vaccines and autism. It is opposed to the Affordable Care Act and other forms of universal health insurance."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 25, 2020 9:53 PM

I'd like to thank the poster(s) who shut down R12/R25. When he said

[quote]They are the gold standard of fact-checkers.

you know the truth had to out. You see, the right went after the real fact-checkers some time ago, and finding minor details that were misinterpreted, misrepresented or just plain omitted, they took down the real "gold standard" and left us with hyper-partisan shills that are, frankly, untrustworthy. Because that's what the right does: take good things and ruin them.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why we can't have nice things, why we're suffering the worst pandemic in living memory, and why the country is on the verge of collapse. You might think that's hyperbole, but if I told you last Christmas that we'd see unemployment recognized officially at 15% (and real unemployment at 30%) would you have said that was prescient or hyperbole? What if I told you that Trump would surpass Obama's addition to the debt by a factor of, at least, 2... analysis or conjecture?

Trump decimated the offices of government scientists who were there to keep us safe. There is no denial of this fact. No one, including me, thought it would happen this fast, but his actions have resulted in the deaths of 100,000 Americans to date, and we're barely getting started.

The time to allow idiots like R12/R25 free reign to inject their stupidity into the national discourse is over. We're dying, and they want to talk about journalistic integrity... after doing everything they could for 25+ years to destroy the Fourth Estate. Well, R12/R25, like the old adage goes, you gots to dance with the boy who broughtcha.

by Anonymousreply 31May 27, 2020 2:46 PM

My Dad was serving on a ship in the Mediterranean during WWII when it was sunk by a German Uboat. He was pulled out of the water by the Brits and brought to Gibraltar. They gave him two weeks off before shipping him to the Pacific where he served at Iwo Jima, Okinawa, and was among the first Americans to make port in Nagasaki.

Your family, friends, community and country needs the tiniest of sacrifice from you for a short period of time. Now, toughen-up, all of yous! This is nothing! Nothing!

by Anonymousreply 32May 27, 2020 2:57 PM

I bet a lot of the POTUS candidates were grateful they weren't in office when this thing emerged. No matter what you do it's not enough.

I always thought this about Al Gore and 9/11. Most certainly he wouldn't have "invaded Eye-rack". But what would he have done?

But the Republicans botched 9/11 and they botched Covid-19.

by Anonymousreply 33May 27, 2020 3:00 PM

I wonder how things would have gone had we had Ben Carson, a MD, in office.

by Anonymousreply 34May 27, 2020 3:03 PM

Well Carson turned out to be a huge moron so I don't think the situation would be much better.

by Anonymousreply 35May 27, 2020 3:09 PM

R33, people like the Clintons, Bushes, Gore, and Obama - they all [italic] live [/italic] for this kind of thing. It’s not that they enjoy the suffering or anything like that. It is that they want to be relevant. They want to make a positive difference in people’s lives. They want to make history. Be they ultimately successful or not, they enjoy playing an important role; and a pandemic or 9-11 is the very kind of moment they knew would eventually arrive, and for which they had prepared all their lives.

Incidentally, Dubya was an utter failure. Gore, and almost anyone, particularly any Dem, would have been better. The Republicans were determined to got to war with Iraq even before 9-11, and that caused no end of trouble for everyone in the end.

by Anonymousreply 36May 27, 2020 3:17 PM

^you'll note I didn’t mention President Trump in R36. I could go on quit a bit, but he is a uniquely stupid, delusional, and unprepared man who thought the Presidency was easy and therefore had no comprehension of why his predecessors struggled and how difficult and monumental were their accomplishments. He had no foresight of his own potential Presidential challenges, and doesn’t care of the human consequences as long as he gets his military parade and two scoops.

by Anonymousreply 37May 27, 2020 3:24 PM

^Out of respect for President Trump ‘s uniqueness, I hope they eventually find a suitable place for his official Presidential portrait, such as in one of the bathrooms, perhaps. They’re really going to have to think hard about that one.

by Anonymousreply 38May 27, 2020 3:28 PM

T35 I think Carson would take a medical situation seriously??

by Anonymousreply 39May 27, 2020 3:42 PM

There is something that is just not right about Carson. That “sedated” routine he does isn’t at all normal.

by Anonymousreply 40May 28, 2020 4:03 PM

I found R25 ‘s yearbook picture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 28, 2020 4:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!