Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Black activists warn Biden: Don't pick Klobuchar as VP.

The Minnesota senator and former prosecutor has problems with communities of colors that another top white contender, Elizabeth Warren, does not.

Sen. Amy Klobuchar performed abysmally among black voters in the Democratic primary. It’s haunting her now as Joe Biden decides on a running mate.

The Minnesota Democrat has the governing experience and ideological profile to mesh well with Biden, and she’s regularly appeared as a surrogate and a fundraiser for him, raking in more than $1.5 million for a single event she headlined. The pair have a warm relationship, trading phone calls when her husband was hospitalized with Covid-19, and they didn’t tangle publicly during the primary.

But more than a dozen black and Latino strategists and activists warned in interviews that selecting Klobuchar would not help Biden excite black voters — and might have the opposite effect. Klobuchar would “risk losing the very base the Democrats need to win,” said Aimee Allison, founder of She the People, which promotes women of color in politics. They pointed to Klobuchar’s poor performance among nonwhite voters during the presidential primary, as well as her record as a prosecutor in Minnesota.

It’s not yet clear how much the opposition of activists matters to Biden. He's made clear that the electoral politics of his pick matter less than choosing someone who can be a governing partner and step into the top job without worry.

But the vocal contingent of African American and Latino detractors — many of whom said they would prefer that Biden select a black woman as a running mate — is unique to Klobuchar; Elizabeth Warren, another top contender for VP, doesn’t elicit similar antagonism from communities of color.

"It comes from her performance in the primary — her weakness in being able to motivate them," said Adrianne Shropshire, executive director of BlackPAC, who supports several potential vice presidential selections. “The engagement and the enthusiasm of black voters is going to be a difference-maker in this election, and the concerns about her in this role stem from the degree to which she resonated or not with those core constituencies.”

Earlier this week, Biden confirmed that "multiple black women [are] being considered" for vice president. Those often named include Sen. Kamala Harris, former Georgia gubernatorial nominee Stacey Abrams and Florida Rep. Val Demings. Besides Klobuchar, other Midwestern options, like Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, have been mentioned.

But for many of these operatives, Klobuchar symbolizes a strategic division within the Democratic Party: whether to focus on winning back white, Midwestern voters who flipped to Donald Trump in 2016, or on activating voters of color who were not excited to vote. She “represents that tension,” said the Rev. Al Sharpton, who added he’s told Biden that he would prefer a black woman on the ticket, but noted he’s “not anti-Amy.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100May 29, 2020 6:38 AM

“It is not her fault, but she is in the middle of an ongoing battle from the last few presidential races,” Sharpton continued, adding he would be “concerned” that selecting Klobuchar would not help energize black and brown voters.

In a Washington Post op-ed this month urging Biden to select a woman of color as running mate, seven black strategists and activists called out Klobuchar, warning she would “only alienate black voters.”

"Biden, the presumptive Democratic nominee, does not need help winning white, working-class voters — he serves that function himself," they wrote. Referring to her record as a chief prosecutor in Minneapolis-based Hennepin County, they added, "A choice such as Sen. Amy Klobuchar (Minn.), who failed to prosecute controversial police killings and is responsible for the imprisonment of Myon Burrell, will only alienate black voters."

“If it was important enough to raise in an op-ed, it speaks to how serious we are,” LaTosha Brown, a co-founder of Black Voters Matter and the lead author of the op-ed, said in an interview. “Her campaign appeal was about bringing in working-class, white people from the Midwest, and perhaps that’s true, but that’s a particular strategy that doesn’t align with what it’s going to take to win. You need to excite the base.”

Angela Rye, a Democratic strategist and the former executive director of the Congressional Black Caucus, who also signed the op-ed, called Klobuchar a “nonstarter.”

Klobuchar's boosters counter that opposition to President Donald Trump will bring out the Democratic base no matter what, and that the key Rust Belt states Democrats have to win play to Klobuchar's strengths.

"I think she could help put the upper Midwest in play, and that's an invaluable asset," said Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison, who backed Bernie Sanders during the presidential primary. He also noted that "there are a lot of black people" in the Midwest, in cities like Detroit and Milwaukee, who will be key for Democrats’ winning back those states.

"I think the base is going to be excited enough because, before, Trump was an idea, now Trump is the reality," Ellison continued.

Klobuchar has been working to improve her relationships with minority activists and politicians since she dropped out of the presidential race. She endorsed a slate of racially and regionally diverse candidates in down-ballot races. She’s worked with Stacey Abrams, another VP contender, to promote a vote-by-mail bill that was endorsed by Voto Latino and the Rev. Jesse Jackson earlier this month. She also wrote a bill to expand broadband access to students at historically black colleges and Hispanic-serving institutions. And she participated in a virtual town hall hosted by the NAACP on how the coronavirus is disproportionately hurting black and brown people.

During the presidential primary, Leah Daughtry, CEO of the Democratic national convention committees in 2008 and 2016, hosted Klobuchar with a group of influential black female leaders, “half she knew, half she didn’t,” and “people walked away with a favorable impression.”

But, Daughtry noted, “building relationships in every area of our lives takes time, including in politics,” and “it isn’t something you can do in a matter of weeks.”

The primary results illustrate Klobuchar's failure among voters of color.

In South Carolina, she won 1 percent of black voters, even though they make up a majority of Democratic primary voters in the state. It was the lowest total for any of the presidential candidates on the ballot.

In Nevada, Klobuchar received 4 percent support of the Latino vote, the lowest share of any presidential candidate other than Rep. Tulsi Gabbard. Nationally, Klobuchar regularly polled in the low single digits among voters of color.

“Could she have done more? Absolutely,” said Antjuan Seawright, a South Carolina-based Democratic consultant. “But she knew where her bread was buttered, and that started in Iowa. She was taking the race as it comes.”

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2020 3:38 PM

Seawright noted that Biden’s own strength in the black community — as evidenced by his resounding victory in South Carolina, which revived his flailing campaign — “gives room for the potential for Amy Klobuchar” as vice president.

But Biden, too, was recently warned about not taking African American voters for granted. On Friday, he apologized on a conference call with black leaders for comments he made to "The Breakfast Club" radio host: "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."

Klobuchar’s prosecutorial record as Hennepin County attorney is another sore spot, particularly her handling of a case involving Burrell, a black teenager. An investigation by The Associated Press found numerous flaws in the case, and civil rights leaders in Minnesota called for her to suspend her presidential campaign.

by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2020 3:39 PM

ha,ha,ha. Now she gets a taste of the "black problem" that Pete did. What a mess!

Oh wait black voters are pragmatic, ...never mind

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2020 3:42 PM

[quote]as evidenced by his resounding victory in South Carolina, which revived his flailing campaign

South Carolina is not in play, nor most of the states where black voters make a significant chunk of the voting population.

He will need the black vote in Michigan. The only swing where the black vote could really make a difference. I wish I could say Florida too, but let's be honest here, that state will depend on how many older folks were taken out by Corona.

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2020 3:44 PM

Watch Biden turn into "Pander bear" and kowtow to the biggest race baiting hustler the country has ever seen.

Maybe she should pick a person named Tawana for V.P.

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2020 3:47 PM

So if he picks Amy as VP, the blacks will vote for Trump? What?

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2020 3:48 PM

Klobuchar would not be an asset, just an admission that the DNC is pissing itself with fear that it'll lose if it seems to challenge neoliberal orthodoxy.

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2020 3:50 PM

Exactly, r6. What’s the threat? They’ll stay home and refuse to vote?

Okay, then. The Berniebots won’t be voting, either.

So a bunch of idiots are going to let Trump win, because Trump’s idiots aren’t as bratty.

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2020 3:53 PM

...and now turning a divisive eye towards our Hispanic brothers and sisters...

The angrier you can make black folks, the more likely they are to stay home. I thought y’all was trying to argue Ann Coulter was pivoting—instead ofjust re-adjusting her klan hood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2020 3:54 PM

Blocking the racist trash at R5. That kind of idiocy is not needed for this discussion.

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2020 3:57 PM

As I said: choosing a former prosecutor (Harris, Klobuchar) is asking for trouble, or at least a big hassle.

It’s likely a senator, but not a former prosecutor, and someone minimally polarizing.

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2020 3:59 PM

She's got a bad attitude, she's vindictive, and she's a sore loser.

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2020 3:59 PM

Has Black Twitter cancelled her? That's the only questions Dataloungers have!

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2020 4:01 PM

[quote] ...and now turning a divisive eye towards our Hispanic brothers and sisters...

They only have to remind Hispanics that Joe serve during the Obama administration and that Abuela got sacked into a detention facility by Obama's ICE mafia.

by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2020 4:01 PM

R12, I don’t like her, either. Frankly, I don’t like any of the women proposed, but I don’t have a better suggestion.

Whoever it is, I’ll come out and cast my vote for Biden because my fear of and hate for Trump is stronger than my distaste for anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2020 4:03 PM

[quote]What’s the threat? They’ll stay home and refuse to vote?

With that logic, then why beg for the votes of White Midwesterners who voted for Trump?

Amusing that with all the bitching and moaning some of you do about white Republicans, you'll crawl naked over shards of glass to win their favor.

The democrats need to respect and energize their own base first and foremost. Bring the moderates and liberals together.

As for these midwestern votes, they either accept racism, anti-Semitism, misogyny and homophobia or they don't. It's that simple. Enough with coddling their asses and trying to normalize their stupidity. Put it on the line for them for once.

by Anonymousreply 16May 25, 2020 4:04 PM

It’s really a shame he decided he just had to have a woman this time. I understand saying it’s time to have a woman in the VP or President slot, and good for him. But this is a time of emergency, Trump is in office and needs to be removed, and I’d vote for just about anybody of any sex who is qualified to be President.

The idea that some blacks have that the VP has to be black or black adjacent, at a time like this is ridiculous. Biden is way too old for that job. He needs someone who is young and energetic, and is really capable of organizing, working with no money, because they’re won’t be any, and cares about people. I’m sorry it can’t be Pete, but blacks eliminated him and now they want to eliminate Amy. I can’t stand Amy, but where is their ideal candidate? Does anyone meet their impossible standards?

Don’t even try to tell me Stacy Abrams is ready to be President at a moment’s notice. Or electable, since she hasn’t been vetted and has tax problems. And the idea that you’re going to eliminate every single person with any prosecutorial experience means you’re eliminating half the politicians there are. A lot of people start that way. Especially ones without a lot of money.

What’s wrong with picking someone based on qualifications?

by Anonymousreply 17May 25, 2020 4:10 PM

[quote] With that logic, then why beg for the votes of White Midwesterners who voted for Trump?

Because they vote. You can’t persuade the voters who don’t show up.

by Anonymousreply 18May 25, 2020 4:10 PM

It’s a shame black people took alll their viciousness out on Pete for firing a police chief who was under federal investigation for wiretapping. Amy’s history is wary worse.

by Anonymousreply 19May 25, 2020 4:12 PM

R17, squeaky wheels and their media facilitators.

by Anonymousreply 20May 25, 2020 4:13 PM

IMO, to say the VP choice has to be a woman of color is itself sexist and racist. Pick the best candidate even if it's a bisexual green and purple Martian. Merit and ability. Not sex or skin color.

by Anonymousreply 21May 25, 2020 4:15 PM

Well, your opinion ain't worth very much, r21. Biden has already said he will choose a woman. Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 22May 25, 2020 4:18 PM

R10 Awe, rumpkin what's the matter? Don't like when I bring truth. Sharpton should have been cancelled decades ago (even by pathetic, guilt ridden white liberals), but your sorry pandering ass keeps him relevant, which keeps me dropping the T.

Do you wanna, Tawana?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 25, 2020 4:19 PM

I would lose so much respect for the campaign if Abrams is the VP pick. I'd still for for Dems down the line, but come on.

Klobuchar is a team player, but she's barely stable.

by Anonymousreply 24May 25, 2020 4:28 PM

Does Tammy Duckworth have any sort of a chance? She ticks a lot of diversity boxes (person of colour, woman, disabled - wounded in combat) plus is a military veteran and already defeated a republican incumbent to be elected to the senate. Doesn't seem too far left or right to push the voters' buttons and turn them off.

I just don't see it for Klobuchar or Harris (they have too much baggage and are actively unlikeable to many). Stacey Abrams already seems to have the job (and I actually don't mind her as a pick) but I feel like she only mobilises black voters and not a lot of other groups. I'd question whether or not she has what it takes to step in at a moments' notice when Biden dies in the next 2 years, but to be honest I don't think she'll do any worse of a job than he will anyway.

by Anonymousreply 25May 25, 2020 4:31 PM

The problem isn't prosecutors, R17; the problem is former prosecutors who did a particularly poor job, and Klobuchar's background is tainted. Biden's issue with one of the other leading contenders, Kamala Harris, is similar only in that her relationship with working class whites mirrors Klobuchar's relationship with the black community. Her tenure as San Francisco DA is marred with her abismal handling of the lab scandal in which dozens of hardened criminals were justifiably set free when it turned out the lab had falsified results on Harris' watch. One ad from the GOP, and the midwestern working-class white vote is lost.

And I hate to say it, but Biden's unlikely and resurgent victory in South Carolina points to this conclusion: black people resoundingly decided that the best response to an angry old white man is another old white man, but at least one who can control his temper (note I did not say "mouth" as the GOP is about to find out with their newly reported ad buy to try and make hay of Biden's latest gaffe, in which he accidentally spoke the truth and questioned any black person's loyalty and, frankly, sanity if they vote for anyone else). Faced with the choice of women, brown and/or gay men, and Biden, they chose the safest route to taking back the White House: Biden.

Yes, I'm saying it boils down to racism, misogyny and bigotry. America, particularly red America, is deeply bigoted. It's in our DNA. We've proven we won't elect a woman; rejection of everyone from Harris to Booker shows it is highly unlikely that we'll elect another black president in our lifetimes, and despite Pete's promising start, a gay president is generations away. The criteria isn't that difficult to understand, either. Black people in South Carolina told us to wake up and smell the coffee, plain and simple.

by Anonymousreply 26May 25, 2020 5:12 PM

So black America now dictates president nominees? Oh the irony lol.

by Anonymousreply 27May 25, 2020 5:15 PM

3 Points:

1) Shermichael should sue his damned parents for that name.

2) I'm still team Val Demings

3) And no offense, but white women always let us down. Hell, they even let each other down. Some of the biggest Hillary haters were white women.

by Anonymousreply 28May 25, 2020 5:19 PM

[quote] One ad from the GOP, and the midwestern working-class white vote is lost.

Mary, what a [italic]dramatic[/italic] claim!!

by Anonymousreply 29May 25, 2020 5:35 PM

Black activists didn’t back Biden in the first place. Black voters did. Black activists aren’t always the voice of authority for black people.

by Anonymousreply 30May 25, 2020 6:38 PM

Show me evidence it isn't true, R29.

by Anonymousreply 31May 25, 2020 7:28 PM

I hate to say this and will be called a racist, troll, etc, but maybe the black community shouldn't focus on the color of a candidate but the positions and past actions. Just because a candidate is black doesn't mean they are the best person for the job.

by Anonymousreply 32May 25, 2020 7:34 PM

What job in America can you state in advance you will only consider female candidates for?

by Anonymousreply 33May 25, 2020 7:50 PM

Fuck the noisy "activists." I'm black and I love Amy. She was my first choice for Dem nominee, and she'd be a great VP.

We need someone who know how to roll up their sleeves and get to work; someone who cares more about pulling the country out of the ditch and getting it moving forward again than about how many magazine covers, Sunday talk shows and cocktail events she can manage.

Every other black person I've talked to about Amy has ended up liking her, or at least appreciating her. Given the chance I believe she can convert the majority.

by Anonymousreply 34May 25, 2020 8:09 PM

I hate warren. I’d prefer any of the women front runners over her. Pete would be my first choice, but that’s not going to happen.

Why does it have to be a woman? Why not the best candidate?

by Anonymousreply 35May 25, 2020 8:43 PM

there is no "best" candidate r35. Never has been. It's always been a weird assortment of geographic, age, ideology, party faction and a bunch of other considerations. Now it's race and gender on top of everything else. There has never been some mythical "best" Vice President choice. Just a bunch of political calculations.

by Anonymousreply 36May 25, 2020 8:52 PM

I wish the consequences of getting Trump again weren't so harsh because I'd tell a lot of so called Democrats to jump in a lake. These purity tests are garbage. Want go know why Republicans still win? Because they back a Republican candidate, no matter what. It's about getting party objectives crossed off the list, instead of being about being crazy about the person.

by Anonymousreply 37May 25, 2020 9:09 PM

well, that may have been true in the past r37, but right now it's a cult, built around Trump. Jeff Sessions is the wingnut's wingnut, he would do everything and support everything wingnuts have always wanted, and he has all the right bigotries. But Trump hates him, so wingnuts are now torn in Alabama. How can they support somebody if Dear Leader doesn't like him?

by Anonymousreply 38May 25, 2020 9:12 PM

Biden was the one who said he wanted a person of color or a woman as his VP.

Only one person to blame for boxing himself in a corner, and that's him.

by Anonymousreply 39May 25, 2020 9:14 PM

he's not boxed in, believe it or not there are actually a lot of women in this country, and some even might make good presidents.

Weird, I know.

by Anonymousreply 40May 25, 2020 9:16 PM

My comment was to those who are trying to place the blame for the words that came out of Biden's own mouth on black voters, or people who are demanding purity tests.

by Anonymousreply 41May 25, 2020 9:20 PM

Klobuchar is the best strategic choice for him at this point. Nominating Biden was a miscalculation in the first place, which these same activists all supported. You got the man you wanted, not let him try to win.

by Anonymousreply 42May 25, 2020 9:22 PM

R33 Surrogate, dominatrix

by Anonymousreply 43May 25, 2020 9:24 PM

[quote] What job in America can you state in advance you will only consider female candidates for?

Mother superior

by Anonymousreply 44May 25, 2020 9:44 PM

That's the spirit, R15.

If Joe picks Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto or Gov. Michelle Grishom to shore up the Latin vote, then woketavists go apeshit about how he's insulting black women. I hope when the day does come, every damn woman on that short list is present for the announcement or sends a social media blast at the exact same moment. Let the whole world know that you can be pissed if you want, but those who actually care about the country are united.

by Anonymousreply 45May 25, 2020 9:45 PM

What's the deal with Shermichael? I know he's a Republican and all, but he's awfully cute. And he has an attractive manner about him. If he's not gay he should be. Any dirt?

by Anonymousreply 46May 25, 2020 9:53 PM

Jesus, stop fixating on black activists. They don’t control shit here.

Republicans will try to drive wedges in between us. We are too smart and too fucking sick of Trump to be distracted. That worked in 2016. It won’t work now.

by Anonymousreply 47May 25, 2020 9:54 PM

People have a right to voice their opinions as to who the VP should be. Welcome to being an adult and being in the real world.

Here's a novel idea: If you have a problem with Biden's own words then take it up with Biden. The last four years was enough of everyone else being blamed for the words that come out of a politicians mouth.

He shouldn't have said anything, and let the cards fall where they may. But he chose to say it was going to be a person of color or a woman, so making it everyone else's fault that they believe him is just stupid.

Unless you're trying to say that Biden's words should not be believed? Not the kind of message you want to put out there.

by Anonymousreply 48May 25, 2020 9:54 PM

This thread reeks of subtle deplorable Propaganda

by Anonymousreply 49May 25, 2020 9:56 PM

Good. I'm white and can't stand Klobuchar. She should have never even been running in the first place. That was pure ego and hubris.

It isn't about blacks voting for Trump: that isn't happening. But we do need to have a large black turnout in Pennsylvania (didn't get enough votes in Philadelphia in 2016) and Michigan and probably even Wisconsin, to have a chance.

I'm still for Susan Rice or Val Demmings. Susan Rice has the bona fides. If Val Demmings could put Florida in play, that would be fantastic as well. Don't take a senator...we need every Democratic senator we can get. Kamala can be AG after the win because California is a safe Dem seat with a Dem governor. No Democratic senator in a state with a GOP governor can leave the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 50May 25, 2020 9:58 PM

[QUOTE] ...and now turning a divisive eye towards our Hispanic brothers and sisters...The angrier you can make black folks, the more likely they are to stay home. I thought y’all was trying to argue Ann Coulter was pivoting—instead ofjust re-adjusting her klan hood.

Hispanics have European blood so they’re white people’s brothers too.

by Anonymousreply 51May 25, 2020 10:04 PM

People who are this focused on race are deplorable republicans

by Anonymousreply 52May 25, 2020 10:33 PM

[quote]I'm still for Susan Rice or Val Demmings

Demmings is getting a lot of positive buzz.

Still don't count out Harris. When she brings it, she brings it. She would destroy Pence in a debate.

by Anonymousreply 53May 25, 2020 10:43 PM

What r6 said.

by Anonymousreply 54May 25, 2020 11:39 PM

Since when was something a politician said written in stone? So what if he picks a man instead of a woman or a white woman instead of a woman of color? Politicians are always painting themselves into corners and then painting themselves right out again. He has to pick someone who has the greatest chance of bringing out the largest number of people to vote democratic. The republicans don't give a shit what they say and do whatever they want.

by Anonymousreply 55May 26, 2020 1:09 AM

Black activists need to lay off and decide whether they want to defeat Trump, or feel good about Joe Biden's VP choice.

ANY woman on the ticket loses votes, I am convinced, so they're already costing Democrats possible Electoral Votes. Pick whoever loses the fewest and cross your fingers!

by Anonymousreply 56May 26, 2020 1:12 AM

she’s pro LGBT, is that why black activists don’t want her?

by Anonymousreply 57May 26, 2020 1:16 AM

Where is it written that the Presidential nominee must pick someone who ran against him in the primaries for VP to begin with? Nowhere, and until recently it wasn't such a "thing" as it appears to be now, where he HAS to pick Warren, or he HAS to pick Harris, or he HAS to pick Klobuchar because they all ran against him. No he doesn't.

And for the record, I can't stand Amy Klobuchar and I really hope he doesn't pick her.

by Anonymousreply 58May 26, 2020 1:22 AM

I'd pick Amy over Biden himself. It'd also be ironic for Biden to run with Pete, a married gay man, who can thank Biden for being able to get married. But like someone above said, he boxed himself into a corner. And it probably won't work out well for him.

by Anonymousreply 59May 26, 2020 1:23 AM

Selecting your "hire" by their gender or ethnicity is illegal.

Just saying to all my fellow lefties.

by Anonymousreply 60May 26, 2020 1:30 AM

Black voters didn’t turn out for Harris or Abrams. Between those two, Harris is certainly more qualified, but I hope Biden doesn’t listen to these threats and goes with Gina Raimondo, she’s smart a a whip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61May 26, 2020 1:35 AM

I don’t like Klobuchar because she has to be electable as President in 2024 and she’s not worldly enough. It’s fine to be from the Midwest, but be interested in the world outside the Midwest if you’re going to run for President.

When she threw a hissy fit because she was expected to know the name of the President of Mexico, I thought, how ignorant is she? He’s our next door neighbor and she was running for President.

The idea that she got angry, probably because she was embarrassed, when it was her fault she didn’t prepare is a big red flag. This isn’t secret information and nobody kept it from her. She should have known before she ever showed up, she didn’t, and she got mad because she made a fool out of herself. I don’t like angry people blaming others for their own shortcomings and laziness. That’s Trump, we don’t need another.

by Anonymousreply 62May 26, 2020 1:36 AM

Hopefully he will listen to the activists…and not fuck this up. Klobuchar wouldn’t be the worst, but she’s not going to bring much to the ticket.

by Anonymousreply 63May 26, 2020 1:52 AM

We need to bait Trump into admitting he wants to do away with welfare benefits and social security.

by Anonymousreply 64May 26, 2020 2:26 AM

Actually black voters turned out in droves for Stacey Abrams. Her problem was she was running against the guy in charge of elections.

by Anonymousreply 65May 26, 2020 2:28 AM

^ Always a fucking conspiracy ^

by Anonymousreply 66May 26, 2020 7:12 PM

Warren is the safe choice.

by Anonymousreply 67May 26, 2020 10:36 PM

If you stay home to protest the vote, then shut the hell up and sit the fuck down...you have no right to comment on anything the winner does that doesn't meet with your approval.

by Anonymousreply 68May 26, 2020 11:01 PM

r66....its the truth and you would know it if you pay attention. Brian Kemp, then SOS, was very blatant in his voter suppression. It was discussed in news, on talk shows, and in print. Brian Kemp is corrupt. Think Mark Harris in NC9.

by Anonymousreply 69May 26, 2020 11:04 PM

Pick Warren. More Presidential.

by Anonymousreply 70May 26, 2020 11:05 PM

^^^not to mention the MULTIPLE lawsuits...some still pending^^^

by Anonymousreply 71May 26, 2020 11:06 PM

Or else what. Nobody likes a bully. Sit on it, black activists, and spin.

by Anonymousreply 72May 26, 2020 11:12 PM

[Quote] If you stay home to protest the vote, then shut the hell up and sit the fuck down...you have no right to comment on anything the winner does that doesn't meet with your approval.

[Bold] YES! AGAIN IT COMES DOWN TO THE "PURITY" OF SOME DUMB ASS VOTERS! JUST LIKE THE LAST TIME! SO PURE THESE CUNTS ARE, RIGHT? GREASE FIRE TO ALL OF YOU WHO BEHAVE THIS WAY!

by Anonymousreply 73May 26, 2020 11:23 PM

R34 here. Last Sunday, my black, 92-yr-old, WW2 & Korean War combat vet said everybody should feel free to talk about which SPECIFIC person they would like to see picked. But in the end, [bold]"He picks, you choose."[/bold] Just like Obama had the right to *pick* who he wanted for VP--and we *chose* to vote for him...or not.

IOW, Democrats, quit needing to fall in love; for once in the postmodern era, just fall the fuck in line.

If my Dad had his druthers, Biden would pick former NOLA mayor/LA State Senator Mitch Landrieu.

by Anonymousreply 74May 26, 2020 11:48 PM

i’d say Amy’s chance is just evaporated given what happened in Minneapolis.

by Anonymousreply 75May 27, 2020 2:17 AM

Black activists polled want Elizabeth Warren as VP. When asked which black women VP they want, it is all over the place. This makes Elizabeth Warren the top pick, from the powerful delegates and caucuses of the DNC.

Just pick Elizabeth Warren.

by Anonymousreply 76May 27, 2020 2:36 AM

[quote]Just pick Elizabeth Warren.

Ugh. You Warren people are almost as bad as the Bernie people. The woman could not win her own state in the primary. Warren offers nothing.

by Anonymousreply 77May 27, 2020 2:39 AM

I can't imaging that screeching squawking woman the president of the United States.

by Anonymousreply 78May 27, 2020 2:40 AM

They're right.

by Anonymousreply 79May 27, 2020 2:58 AM

There are almost as many Warren haters as there were Hilary haters. No Warren! Her negatives are too high.

by Anonymousreply 80May 27, 2020 1:57 PM

Warren is too old to serve a term with Biden, then two terms as President. Trump has fucked up the country and we need someone after Biden that is young enough and qualified enough to have a chance to serve two terms.

Why is this so hard? It’s VP, not President. Hire someone young enough to have a future with the party. If age is no object, and having no future with the party is no problem because “reasons,” then get Nancy Pelosi. At least she’s too old for the job *and* brings something. Warren’s time has passed for the executive office. She needs to stay where she is and do some good instead of constantly looking for another job.

by Anonymousreply 81May 27, 2020 2:04 PM

Nancy Pelosi has more power now than she would as VP. She would turn it down.

by Anonymousreply 82May 27, 2020 2:13 PM

Well she’s just disqualified herself now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83May 28, 2020 11:58 AM

I agree, don't pick Amy. Pick Duckworth!

by Anonymousreply 84May 28, 2020 12:01 PM

Sorry... aging brain... I don't get why that post at R83 would disqualify her. I think her track record as a prosecutor makes it trickier now after George Floyd. There are easier choices.

by Anonymousreply 85May 28, 2020 1:22 PM

Read the comments, R85. She went out of her way not to use the words 'police' or 'killing'

The black vote stays home if he nominates this woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86May 28, 2020 1:42 PM

Ma says if you puts a knife under tha bed it cuts the pain in two.

by Anonymousreply 87May 28, 2020 1:47 PM

Ah... thanks R86. I never read the comments. Generally the stupid makes me suicidal.

by Anonymousreply 88May 28, 2020 1:47 PM

Amy guarantees the white Midwestern and suburban women vote WILL turn out, and those are the voters that Biden needs.

Black Twitter and black activists are going to have a problem with any candidate he picks, including Kamala Harris...so he’d be better off just tuning them out. They don’t have anywhere near as much electoral importance as they think they do.

by Anonymousreply 89May 28, 2020 2:11 PM

Biden is already doing well in the Midwest--Klobuchar is redundant and unnecessary. Duckworth would help him attract Republican-leaning swing voters.

by Anonymousreply 90May 28, 2020 2:17 PM

There’s more evidence out today that Elizabeth Warren is the most popular pick according to pollsters. I get the downsides (potential loss of a Senate seat, age) but those claiming she adds nothing are just flat out wrong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91May 28, 2020 2:20 PM

R89, my concern is they will have more of a problem with some candidates than others, but you identify a real dilemma with this damn promise. Mind you, it won't be a cold launch. They will have to the extent possible sounded out black opinion leaders on an announcement. It won't be left to chance.

by Anonymousreply 92May 28, 2020 2:21 PM

r84, Duckworth doesn't have a leg to stand on.

by Anonymousreply 93May 28, 2020 9:27 PM

He needs someone younger than Warren. Sorry but she's over 70 as well. Two over 70 year olds should not be on the same ticket.

by Anonymousreply 94May 28, 2020 9:29 PM

Black activitsts were right

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95May 28, 2020 9:40 PM

Amy is DONE as a VP possibility.

Yeah.

by Anonymousreply 96May 28, 2020 9:44 PM

R96, I sincerely hope so. She was probably the candidate I liked least of all.

by Anonymousreply 97May 28, 2020 10:28 PM

[quote]Black activitsts were right

No, they’re not right R95. She was already sworn into the Senate and was no longer the Hennepin County Attorney BEFORE the case involving Chauvin went to a Grand Jury, who declined to charge him. So how does that have anything to do with Klobuchar?

by Anonymousreply 98May 28, 2020 11:50 PM

[quote]She was already sworn into the Senate and was no longer the Hennepin County Attorney BEFORE the case involving Chauvin went to a Grand Jury, who declined to charge him. So how does that have anything to do with Klobuchar?

Oh, dear.

The incident happened in October, she was elected to office the next month, she took office in January.

Her office had the ability to charge him based upon the complaint instead they held it over for a grand jury to decide.

They may have declined to charge him initially because she was leaving. That makes sense.

However, the man had 10 incidents total and yes, many of them took place while she was still in office and they never considered them when making that decision.

Furthermore it wasn't just him. She ...

[quote]"declined to bring charges in more than two dozen cases in which people were killed in encounters with police"

Which shows a pattern.

Her collapse is complete. She will never be VP.

by Anonymousreply 99May 29, 2020 4:58 AM

[quote]There are almost as many Warren haters as there were Hilary haters. No Warren! Her negatives are too high.

R80, who the Russians have decided to market as an object of hatred should not inform the choices of American voters.

I'm pulling for Stacey Abrams, but I'd easily settle for Elizabeth Warren as well.

by Anonymousreply 100May 29, 2020 6:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!