Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

HBO Max is it worth it?

I currently get HBO and HBO2 through AT&T TV Now.

What will we get with it?

by Anonymousreply 55December 8, 2020 2:33 AM

What I read yesterday you qualify to get it free....

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2020 11:45 AM

If you are already an HBO subscriber you will have access to HBOMax.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2020 11:54 AM

Like we all need yet another TV channel

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2020 11:59 AM

It's not really new, it is just the HBO library with more shit included. If you have HBO/HBONow, will now you get some extra stuff. And they are hoping maybe it will encourage some people who don't pay for HBO right now to pay for it.

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2020 12:02 PM

Does it start tomorrow?

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2020 11:42 PM

There are many great classics and foreign films that are part of HBOMax. I’m considering.

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2020 11:44 PM

I thought I saw the Muppets on HBOMax. I thought Disney ownedthem.

by Anonymousreply 7May 26, 2020 12:51 AM

Will they have old HBO movies? Comedy specials?

by Anonymousreply 8May 26, 2020 2:12 AM

It dropped today. They have a very good selection of classic and foreign language movies, which was a surprise. However overall it is not that different from HBO Now in that the majority of films are from their output deals with the libraries of Warner Bros, Disney and Universal. I am disappointed in the series offerings, which is nothing more than HBO current and legacy shows that were already available on HBO Max and Amazon, as well as a few blue chip sitcoms like Friends and Big Bang and a handful of BBC shows.

by Anonymousreply 9May 27, 2020 10:24 AM

Wow, the app isn’t ready for the Roku interface at launch! WarnerMedia totally fucked this up.

These are the only interfaces on which you can currently access HBO Max:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 27, 2020 11:11 AM

[quote]However overall it is not that different from HBO Now

Like I said, it is HBONow with some extra shit.

by Anonymousreply 11May 27, 2020 11:39 AM

The DC section is also a disappointment, they don't have any of Christopher Reeve's Superman films or any of Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight series.

by Anonymousreply 12May 27, 2020 12:16 PM

I subscribed yesterday to get the $11.99 rate, then today I found out there is no Roku app. Shame on me for not doing proper due diligence, but I would have thought they would have a Roku app ready, there are only 27,000,000 active Roku users. Anyway, canceled it immediately due to poor planning on their part.

by Anonymousreply 13May 27, 2020 12:27 PM

I was happy to see some of the old HBO offerings like Autopsy and Indictment: McMartin Trial but disappointed there was no Robert Duvall Stalin movie or the old Encyclopedia show or Lifestories...

by Anonymousreply 14May 27, 2020 12:46 PM

I'd be surprised if they didn't have the App ready by the EOD

However the catastrophic failure IMO is that they don't really have anything particularly special coming down the pipeline

For example I subscribed to HBO Now at the start of the month with they offered the $12 special, so I could catch up on three seasons of Westworld, which I will probably be done with by next week. After that there's nothing in particular that I want to watch. There's no reason to renew, especially at this price.

by Anonymousreply 15May 27, 2020 12:49 PM

This fucking sucks. I have Amazon Fire Stick and can't access anything but Now meanwhile there is stuff on Max I want to watch but can only do it on my PC.

I want to lay in bed and not sit at a desk. What a fucking disaster to just shut out all the potential Fire customers.

It is not like they didn't have time to plan this.

by Anonymousreply 16May 27, 2020 12:59 PM

You can connect your PC to your TV via HDMI wire.

by Anonymousreply 17May 27, 2020 1:01 PM

People don't want to do that r17. They want to use their Roku and Amazon Firestick platform, that's why they have them in the first place.

Well over 60 million Americans use those two platforms, so this is a massive shortcoming in HBOMax.

by Anonymousreply 18May 27, 2020 1:02 PM

From what I've been hearing customers are already calling to cancel the service...ON THE LAUNCH DAY!

Massive fail.

Time Warner is going to have egg on their face. LOL

by Anonymousreply 19May 27, 2020 1:09 PM

I have HBO Now...I stream it for $14.99 a month..worth it for me

by Anonymousreply 20May 27, 2020 1:25 PM

I subscribed to HBONow and cancelled it to sign up for the Max promotion, 11.99 for 12 months. Saved a little money.

by Anonymousreply 21May 27, 2020 1:31 PM

I have HBOGO does that allow me to access HBO Max?

by Anonymousreply 22May 27, 2020 1:33 PM

Yes r22, if you have HBO then you have HBOMax. See r2.

by Anonymousreply 23May 27, 2020 1:34 PM

[quote] I'd be surprised if they didn't have the App ready by the EOD

Isn’t it a $$ issue between HBO and Roku/Amazon Fire Stick? So it could potentially go on much longer?

In the DC section how come we get Doom Patrol but no Titans?

by Anonymousreply 24May 27, 2020 2:37 PM

You’re correct, it’s a rights issue, not a bug

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 27, 2020 4:14 PM

People on Twitter are PISSSSSSED

by Anonymousreply 26May 27, 2020 4:18 PM

They should be R26. Roku is the popular streaming player by far. To not have an app ready to go on launch day is ridiculous.

I will say though I am/was happy to see that I get access through my Xfinity cable subscription for no additional money (because I get HBO through XFinity).

by Anonymousreply 27May 27, 2020 5:15 PM

What a mess. They’re getting destroyed on each of their sparkly, launch day Twitter posts.

AT&T and Warner Media should’ve just created a new service with a new name and included HBO programming within it.

The HBO brand has already become cluttered with Go, Now... Many still don’t even understand what exactly HBOMax is.

by Anonymousreply 28May 27, 2020 5:15 PM

Getting ripped on Facebook, as well.

Did they not think there would be a backlash?

by Anonymousreply 29May 27, 2020 7:08 PM

I bet a lot of people are in R13's same situation. They signed up assuming there would be a Roku and Amazon Fire apps (because why wouldn't there be? They are the most common), but nope. I wouldn't have checked either R13.

by Anonymousreply 30May 27, 2020 9:57 PM

Yeah I planned on checking out something on Max after work today, but since it is not on Roku yet that's a bust.

Warner needs to cave and quit arguing with them about money

by Anonymousreply 31May 27, 2020 10:25 PM

Are there any good sitcoms?

by Anonymousreply 32May 27, 2020 10:33 PM

Meh R32.

They have TBBT as well as Friends. I'm sure DL will slam them as trash, but there is no denying they were enormously popular.

They have all the HBO sitcoms. SATC, etc.

The movie catalogue is impressive IMHO.

Don't know if I'd pay $15 a month for it.

by Anonymousreply 33May 27, 2020 11:43 PM

I was annoyed that they don't have an agreement (yet) with Roku. I use Roku for all my entertainment and was pissed when I learned that HBOMax and Roku don't play well together. HBO should have mentioned this in the millions of emails they sent leading up to the conversion.

Then, to add insult to injury, when I updated the app on my iPad, it blew out all the (carefully curated) items in "My List."

I still like HBO's program, but this was not a very well thought out conversion/upgrade!

by Anonymousreply 34May 28, 2020 3:14 PM

Analysts have decided that the answer to OP's question is "No."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 29, 2020 7:36 PM

I got a text from AT&T that said I would get HBO Max free. I tried to sign in and it said I didn’t qualify.

by Anonymousreply 36May 29, 2020 8:17 PM

I get HBO thru Verizon Fios. I called Fios the other day and asked them if HBO Max would cost me anything extra. They said NO. I'm already watching something on it. It's called First Dates. Mostly straight couples but right now I'm watching an episode that has a gay couple. It's a reality show that show couples going on a blind date. I'm enjoying it.

by Anonymousreply 37May 29, 2020 8:29 PM

I am still using HBONow until they work out a deal with Roku, and the article at r36 thinks it will be a while.

Very disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 38May 29, 2020 10:30 PM

Why so many HBOs?

by Anonymousreply 39May 29, 2020 10:45 PM

Because it wants to outdo Netflix?

by Anonymousreply 40May 29, 2020 10:52 PM

The long term plan is to have everything roll into HBOMax. HBOMax will be HBO.

by Anonymousreply 41May 29, 2020 11:15 PM

Because my phone and internet is At&t I was able to get it for free but only on my iPad and Samsung tablet. It was a long process a very nice and very patient customer service guy named Phill helped me every step of the way. I'm really surprised how many classic films they have. Someone has good taste.

by Anonymousreply 42May 30, 2020 8:31 AM

Does it show hole?

by Anonymousreply 43May 30, 2020 8:46 AM

Interesting:

"We believe AT&T’s dispute with Amazon comes down to one thing: data. AT&T wants Fire users who open HBO Max to be essentially transferred to the HBO platform, so that HBO captures all the data about the customer’s usage, improving the ability to target ads in other parts of the WarnerMedia universe. Amazon, however, wants to keep as much of that data as possible in house." But the analyst predicted the companies to reach an agreement over time.

The Roku dispute, meanwhile, seems "primarily to center around advertising," he suggested. "While HBO Max doesn’t currently have ads, AT&T does expect to launch an ad-supported version, likely next year, and Roku will want to benefit from that advertising revenue." But Jayant concluded: "We expect this dispute to eventually be resolved, since neither AT&T nor Roku benefits from not having HBO Max available on Roku devices."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 1, 2020 4:42 PM

I cancelled my subscription today, as it was due to renew on Friday. I thought this was going to be resolved by now but obviously it may take weeks if not months. What a colossal fuck you to consumers.

by Anonymousreply 45June 1, 2020 4:48 PM

You can't make this shit up

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 10, 2020 5:25 PM

R16 I can stream from my phone through my Roku. Can you stream your phone through your Firestick?

by Anonymousreply 47June 10, 2020 5:57 PM

I was about to ask that R47. The answer is yes, but not elegantly. Thanks for answering my question on Roku. I keep a chromecast on one of my HDMI ports for that very reason.

by Anonymousreply 48June 10, 2020 6:02 PM

This whole launch seems to be one disaster after another...

by Anonymousreply 49June 10, 2020 6:20 PM

HBO Go will be shut down and HBO Now will now just be called HBO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 12, 2020 7:31 PM

Sigh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 12, 2020 8:45 PM

No. I’d rather pay for Gone With the Wind. #teachdontcensor

by Anonymousreply 52June 12, 2020 8:59 PM

Roku

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53December 6, 2020 2:15 AM

They are going to be streaming all of Warner's upcoming movies the same day they open in theaters (provided any theaters are actually open)

That alone is worth $15 if you like the movies in question

by Anonymousreply 54December 6, 2020 2:21 AM

Im getting HBOMAX through Amazon Prime

by Anonymousreply 55December 8, 2020 2:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!