Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Shaming" is the most overused word in the last five years.

There, I said it.

by Anonymousreply 38June 6, 2020 1:45 PM

you're shaming shaming

by Anonymousreply 1May 24, 2020 5:57 PM

OP is a snowflake.

by Anonymousreply 2May 24, 2020 5:58 PM

SO true. Everything is normalized these days by the SJWs. Fatshaming. slutshaming etc.

by Anonymousreply 3May 24, 2020 5:59 PM

I'm going to shame you for creating this thread.

by Anonymousreply 4May 24, 2020 6:01 PM

Fool me once, shame on ... shame on you. Fool me... You can't get fooled again!

by Anonymousreply 5May 24, 2020 6:06 PM

No, the most overused word in the last five years is "AWESOME!" -- unless it's "AMAZING!" or "EXTRAORDINARY!" or "REMARKABLE!" or "INCREDIBLE!" or "TERRIFIC!". That sad state of affairs is exacerbated by the Pres of the USA being so loquacious with such a limited vocabulary, but it started long before him and continues apace.

Lately, the category includes "priority", as in: "Our number one priority is the safety of our customers and staff/employees/associates". Not to mention "these trying times", "unprecedented", "challenging", "impactful", and "together".

Thoughts and prayers for the fate of the English language.

by Anonymousreply 6May 24, 2020 7:11 PM

Does "non-binary" come in second?

by Anonymousreply 7May 24, 2020 7:32 PM

Iconic. Everything is iconic.

by Anonymousreply 8May 24, 2020 7:34 PM

Fake... needs to go along with Twitler.

by Anonymousreply 9May 24, 2020 7:35 PM

Yes, R8. And when everything is iconic, nothing is iconic.

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2020 12:09 AM

bump is

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2020 2:48 AM

"Trump 2020" is the most overused!!!

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2020 3:23 AM

My vote are for "offensive" and "problematic", used and overused for people with thin skin and lack of real problems.

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2020 3:23 AM

"civility" : always used an excuse for barbarism.

by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2020 3:28 AM

“Triggered”

Some people are triggered by everything. It’s “exhausting.”

by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2020 4:35 AM

I'm wooking to get wid of a widdow gway "rabbit hole."

by Anonymousreply 16May 25, 2020 4:45 AM

I have nothing against metaphors -- in fact, an apt one is ingenious and can be evocative. But "a ton of" is gratingly inaccurate unless it refers to something that's capable of being weighed (preferably in amounts exceeding 2,000 pounds) -- there can be no such thing as "a ton of" statistics or gossip or injustice, etc. And the phrase is not inherently poetic or otherwise worth resorting to, yet literally everyone seems to be using it! My own personal rule is that only whales, elephants, mine cave-ins, and volcanic eruption outputs should be described in terms of tons -- for everything else, let us seek one of the many other fine adjectives available in the English language, such as slews, scads, myriad, etc.

by Anonymousreply 17June 4, 2020 3:25 PM

[quote]My own personal rule is that only whales, elephants, mine cave-ins, and volcanic eruption outputs should be described in terms of tons -- for everything else, let us seek one of the many other fine adjectives available in the English language, such as slews, scads, myriad, etc.

"Tons" is a noun, r17. So are "slews" and "scads." I'll give you "myriad," a lovely adjective now used by some as a noun.

by Anonymousreply 18June 4, 2020 3:34 PM

The funniest one is "slut shaming ". Realistically, slut shaming hasn't existed in the mainstream for at least over a decade. With the exception of some very conservative rural communities. And even there many 22 year olds already have kids by multiple partners.

by Anonymousreply 19June 4, 2020 3:47 PM

Shaming is the new bashing. Canceling is the new shaming.

by Anonymousreply 20June 4, 2020 4:10 PM

Slut.

by Anonymousreply 21June 4, 2020 4:11 PM

shame on OP

by Anonymousreply 22June 4, 2020 4:12 PM

The actual most overused word in the last five years—a phrase, really—is "based off of" or "based out of" instead of "based on" or "based in."

by Anonymousreply 23June 4, 2020 4:25 PM

Unpack

by Anonymousreply 24June 4, 2020 4:32 PM

Yes, R24 -- and "baked in".

by Anonymousreply 25June 4, 2020 4:36 PM

It’s the Kardashian-copying millennial skanks we have to thank for everything being AMAZING and INCREDIBLE (said in their vocal fry, popping drawls.)

by Anonymousreply 26June 4, 2020 4:42 PM

My vote also goes to "problematic." Not only is the word completely overused, but most of the time people throw it around without ever actually articulating what the problem is. Which is even more "problematic."

by Anonymousreply 27June 4, 2020 4:45 PM

Omg.

by Anonymousreply 28June 6, 2020 12:58 AM

OP, there is in fact an active "There, I said it" thread. Shame on you for not searching first.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 6, 2020 1:12 AM

Another vote for “problematic.” And can we please retire “petri dish?”

by Anonymousreply 30June 6, 2020 3:28 AM

"Warrior," either as a compliment or a pejorative.

by Anonymousreply 31June 6, 2020 7:28 AM

[quote] "Shaming" is the most overused word in the last five years

Can't disagree too much. Some people could use a lesson from the wonderfully lesbionic Eleanor Roosevelt: "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." So stop letting other anonymous people 'shame' you.

Oh, and 'literally' literally has no meaning anymore.

by Anonymousreply 32June 6, 2020 7:40 AM

Over-usedwords and phrases:

Werk

Not today, satan

Queer

Doja Cat (hardly used, but once is too many)

by Anonymousreply 33June 6, 2020 11:51 AM

“Start a conversation”

“Unpack”

“In these uncertain times...”

by Anonymousreply 34June 6, 2020 12:34 PM

W provided us (and comedians) with some great quotes, r5. I believe he was seriously misunderestimated...

by Anonymousreply 35June 6, 2020 1:22 PM

"Systemic", especially when it's mispronounced as "systematic", which is a different word with a different meaning.

"Significant", especially when it's misused to mean "substantial" -- being big signifies nothing other than a large size, so saying that something is "significant" to mean that it's "substantial" is a tautology.

by Anonymousreply 36June 6, 2020 1:26 PM

[quote]yet [bold]literally[/bold] everyone seems to be using it!

Pedant physician R17, heal thyself.

by Anonymousreply 37June 6, 2020 1:38 PM

No, no R18, R17 is correct.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 6, 2020 1:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!