Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The murder of Julia Wallace - famous unsolved mystery

Once referred to by Raymond Chandler as the impossible mystety: “the impossible murder because Wallace couldn’t have done it and neither could anyone else.”

Is anybody else intrigues by this unsolved crime? Mild mannered Wallace tried and convicted for the brutal murder of his wife. Soon after his conviction was quashed and he was relesased.

The events of the crime, lack of motive, alibi and psychology all combine to make this all so puzzling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 26, 2020 5:35 PM

Great videos on YouTube avout the mystery

by Anonymousreply 1May 24, 2020 11:59 AM

She had her head caved in and £4 stolen

by Anonymousreply 2May 24, 2020 7:24 PM

Bump for evening interest

by Anonymousreply 3May 24, 2020 8:23 PM

He has a very convuluted alibi, going off looking for a non-existent lead on an insurance sale. Looked deliverately setup

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2020 3:05 AM

He did it! He had been having an affair with the porter in his chess club for years, and when the porter's wife died of cancer, the only thing standing in the way of the two of them finally having a life together was Julia. The porter committed suicide after Wallace was sentenced to hang, not knowing that he would be released from jail soon. Wallace was so distraught that he moved to another town and died of renal failure less than a year later. Such an interesting, tragic story.

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2020 4:18 AM

R5 I've never heard of the porter story before, where did you read about it?

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2020 6:37 AM

"Julia, Julia, what's happened to Julia?

She's all chopped up . . .

chop, chop, chop. . .

Killy Willy!"

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2020 6:56 AM

Is there a really good account of it? I know that all the great writers on mystery think it's the ultimate murder mystery, and say all the evidence could equally point to William Herbert Wallace's guilt or his innocence, but I've never heard exactly how. And people always say the elements of the murder are chess-like, but I've never understood how in that regard either.

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2020 7:25 AM

R6 I'm sorry...I was bored last night, and after I looked-up the story, I thought it was interesting in its own rite, but decided to finish it off. Made the whole thing up. My apologies.

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2020 3:03 PM

R9 you bugger!

R8 this is a pretty good summary

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2020 5:14 PM

Who did it?

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2020 6:56 PM

The husband did it, r11. It's always the husband.

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2020 8:03 PM

There was never a motive for her murder put forward at trial. It was just assumed that he would want to kill her simply because they were married and she was seventeen years older than he was. But everything seemed to suggest they always got along very well as a couple.

by Anonymousreply 13May 26, 2020 6:44 AM

Precisely R13 why would he need to kill her in such a gruesome way?

by Anonymousreply 14May 26, 2020 5:24 PM

The Wikipedia article seems to indicate that most people feel it was his coworker with money troubles, who had lead Wallace on a wild goose chase with the plan to rob his home of that day's insurance collection, but Julia interrupted the robbery and was killed because of it.

by Anonymousreply 15May 26, 2020 5:28 PM

I remember reading once that the young co-worker had visited their house before and knew where the money was kept. He was also seen by a petrol station attendant with bloody gloves in the back of his car following the murder.

by Anonymousreply 16May 26, 2020 5:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!