Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The murder of Julia Wallace - famous unsolved mystery

Once referred to by Raymond Chandler as the impossible mystety: “the impossible murder because Wallace couldn’t have done it and neither could anyone else.”

Is anybody else intrigues by this unsolved crime? Mild mannered Wallace tried and convicted for the brutal murder of his wife. Soon after his conviction was quashed and he was relesased.

The events of the crime, lack of motive, alibi and psychology all combine to make this all so puzzling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1605/26/2020

Great videos on YouTube avout the mystery

by Anonymousreply 105/24/2020

She had her head caved in and £4 stolen

by Anonymousreply 205/24/2020

Bump for evening interest

by Anonymousreply 305/24/2020

He has a very convuluted alibi, going off looking for a non-existent lead on an insurance sale. Looked deliverately setup

by Anonymousreply 405/24/2020

He did it! He had been having an affair with the porter in his chess club for years, and when the porter's wife died of cancer, the only thing standing in the way of the two of them finally having a life together was Julia. The porter committed suicide after Wallace was sentenced to hang, not knowing that he would be released from jail soon. Wallace was so distraught that he moved to another town and died of renal failure less than a year later. Such an interesting, tragic story.

by Anonymousreply 505/24/2020

R5 I've never heard of the porter story before, where did you read about it?

by Anonymousreply 605/24/2020

"Julia, Julia, what's happened to Julia?

She's all chopped up . . .

chop, chop, chop. . .

Killy Willy!"

by Anonymousreply 705/24/2020

Is there a really good account of it? I know that all the great writers on mystery think it's the ultimate murder mystery, and say all the evidence could equally point to William Herbert Wallace's guilt or his innocence, but I've never heard exactly how. And people always say the elements of the murder are chess-like, but I've never understood how in that regard either.

by Anonymousreply 805/24/2020

R6 I'm sorry...I was bored last night, and after I looked-up the story, I thought it was interesting in its own rite, but decided to finish it off. Made the whole thing up. My apologies.

by Anonymousreply 905/25/2020

R9 you bugger!

R8 this is a pretty good summary

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1005/25/2020

Who did it?

by Anonymousreply 1105/25/2020

The husband did it, r11. It's always the husband.

by Anonymousreply 1205/25/2020

There was never a motive for her murder put forward at trial. It was just assumed that he would want to kill her simply because they were married and she was seventeen years older than he was. But everything seemed to suggest they always got along very well as a couple.

by Anonymousreply 1305/25/2020

Precisely R13 why would he need to kill her in such a gruesome way?

by Anonymousreply 1405/26/2020

The Wikipedia article seems to indicate that most people feel it was his coworker with money troubles, who had lead Wallace on a wild goose chase with the plan to rob his home of that day's insurance collection, but Julia interrupted the robbery and was killed because of it.

by Anonymousreply 1505/26/2020

I remember reading once that the young co-worker had visited their house before and knew where the money was kept. He was also seen by a petrol station attendant with bloody gloves in the back of his car following the murder.

by Anonymousreply 1605/26/2020
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!