Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Florida mom charged with murder of son with autism

Patricia Ripley said her son had been abducted by two black men, police said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78May 26, 2020 10:00 PM

I worked in a job where, among other things, I learned that fairly frequently, when a family finally gets their autistic child placed in a specialty rehab or other type of out-of-home placement, they refuse to take their child back when its over. Occasionally, the family would move out of state.

by Anonymousreply 1May 23, 2020 10:22 PM

The story sounded too far fetched from the get-go. I don't know why these dumb twats think they can get away with the abduction story as it's the oldest one in the book.

by Anonymousreply 2May 23, 2020 10:22 PM

I think she's tremendous. Shame on them for not believing it was a child abduction, they happen all the time you know.

by Anonymousreply 3May 23, 2020 10:23 PM

Give the lady a break.

One less retard in the world isn’t such a bad thing

by Anonymousreply 4May 23, 2020 10:28 PM

[quote]said her son had been abducted by two black men,

It’s not believable unless she paid them.

by Anonymousreply 5May 23, 2020 10:30 PM

Where's the video?

by Anonymousreply 6May 23, 2020 10:32 PM

Shocking no one.

by Anonymousreply 7May 23, 2020 10:34 PM

The woman was bonkers. She pushed her son down a canal, and her neighbors rescued him; then, ON THE SAME DAY, she pushes him down from another canal, and then claims Black men took him?

by Anonymousreply 8May 23, 2020 10:39 PM

A new Datalounge icon is born.

by Anonymousreply 9May 23, 2020 10:53 PM

She claims to be a "white Hispanic". I'm guessing teh Cuban equivalent of poor white trash.

by Anonymousreply 10May 23, 2020 11:03 PM

It's 2020, even it's totally BS, you should have said two Latinos!

by Anonymousreply 11May 23, 2020 11:11 PM

Boy, they are gonna have a field day with her in prison. Not only did she kill her own kid but she blamed black people for the deed.

by Anonymousreply 12May 23, 2020 11:26 PM

Unfortunately, the "black guys did it" defense probably works often enough that lowlifes like this think it's at least worth a try.

by Anonymousreply 13May 23, 2020 11:55 PM

Kid was huge for being only nine.

by Anonymousreply 14May 24, 2020 12:00 AM

[quote]Unfortunately, the "black guys did it" defense probably works often enough that lowlifes like this think it's at least worth a try.

Unfortunately, blacks commit the most violent crime, so it’s usually believable and true.

by Anonymousreply 15May 24, 2020 12:08 AM

I wonder if the cops believed that anybody, black or white or "white hispanic", would've abducted a retard.

by Anonymousreply 16May 24, 2020 12:27 AM

R4, are you ready to make that sacrifice for the world?

by Anonymousreply 17May 24, 2020 12:29 AM

I’m a teacher who works with some families with autistic or extremely disabled children.

The kids have not been in school for close to three months, and on top of that, the families have gotten none of the home help that they usually receive.

It has totally upended their existence.

Yet none so far has committed murder and tried to pin it on mystery black men.

by Anonymousreply 18May 24, 2020 12:36 AM

I still can't get over how massive that kid was.

by Anonymousreply 19May 24, 2020 12:43 AM

If she had killed him in the womb, it wouldn't be considered murder. Women's free choice and all.

by Anonymousreply 20May 24, 2020 12:45 AM

Yawn, try it somewhere else r20.

by Anonymousreply 21May 24, 2020 12:47 AM

That poor child. This child should have been aborted. It’s not a life for the kid so why would someone bring this to term then have them living a shit life and of course the parent can’t handle it so they kill it. Why do they always used “black men” as their assailants? It’s the dead giveaway the bitch is lying. No one black or white or green would take a kid when they’re carjacking. I can’t wait for the black women in prison to make this child murderer pay.

by Anonymousreply 22May 24, 2020 12:50 AM

The Talented Mrs. Ripley.

by Anonymousreply 23May 24, 2020 12:55 AM

She didn't want that kid infringing on her freedom to go to church this Sunday

by Anonymousreply 24May 24, 2020 1:06 AM

R15 Right, like all those mass shootings...oh wait.

by Anonymousreply 25May 24, 2020 1:46 AM

I knew it was her from the first time I read the story.

by Anonymousreply 26May 24, 2020 1:47 AM

R22 I don't get it. One of the worst people I know had a kid who clearly has fetal alcohol syndrome. Why? If you care so little about your kid that you can't stop drinking while pregnant, why bother to have it at all?

by Anonymousreply 27May 24, 2020 1:52 AM

Black men don’t go around stealing children, period. Nor are they serial killers or mass murderers (very rare exceptions).

And NO “human traffickers” abduct suburban white females over the age of - hell, I don’t even know, 10? - they don’t need to. It’s like the Saranic panic of the 1980s. It’s a hysterical fantasy of repressed Gladys Kravitzes.

by Anonymousreply 28May 25, 2020 8:53 PM

^^ Satanic.

Wtf, spellcheck?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 25, 2020 8:55 PM

This reminds me of the woman whose stroller “accidentally” rolled down an embankment into a canal. And another (not Susan Smith) whose car rolled down a boat launch.

Funny how that happens.

by Anonymousreply 30May 25, 2020 8:57 PM

Remember the old man who dropped the baby from a cruise ship?

by Anonymousreply 31May 25, 2020 8:58 PM

Gee, I wonder who she voted for...

by Anonymousreply 32May 25, 2020 8:58 PM

Ain't no thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 25, 2020 8:59 PM

"Yet none so far has committed murder and tried to pin it on mystery black men. "

How many tragic or mysterious illnesses "household accidents" have happened in the families of children with severe and irritating disabilities, R18? What's newsworthy about this case isn't that the woman got rid of a child that anyone would want to be shut of, it's that her cover story is such obvious bullshit.

Really, my first thought was "I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often", and I bet it actually does.

by Anonymousreply 34May 25, 2020 8:59 PM

[quote] He's going to be in a better place

Anywhere that isn't Florida!

by Anonymousreply 35May 25, 2020 9:00 PM

[quote]This reminds me of the woman whose stroller “accidentally” rolled down an embankment into a canal. And another (not Susan Smith) whose car rolled down a boat launch.

And then there are those "accidents" when a child is left in a hot car all day.

by Anonymousreply 36May 25, 2020 9:01 PM

R23 More like the not so talented Mrs. Ripley, after all Tom got away with it, so far.

by Anonymousreply 37May 25, 2020 9:02 PM

Any Canadians here that remember the case of the farmer who euthanized his disabled daughter? He admitted it and spent years in prison.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 25, 2020 9:02 PM

More on the Latimer case.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 25, 2020 9:04 PM

R22

While I think parents who choose to continue a pregnancy of a profoundly disabled fetus are stupid, if not monstrous, as far as I know, there's no in utero test for autism. She'd have no way of knowing that her son would turn out to be disabled.

by Anonymousreply 40May 25, 2020 9:04 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 25, 2020 9:06 PM

damn, this is really tragic. I want to get into the DL spirit on this whole thing, but I just can't. This sucks and is awful and evil.

by Anonymousreply 42May 25, 2020 9:08 PM

This immediately made me think of this South Park episode

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 25, 2020 9:18 PM

My sister is a special ed professional in an extremely wealthy school district. She had a profoundly disabled student who was basically a vegetable. She had been assessed to have the brain function of a two-month old. The parents were always desperate to get that kid off to “school”, and the student had to be accompanied by a nurse because they had some kind of seizures. There was also another one who had a hysterectomy because menstruation distressed her to an extreme and as they were going to put her into a “home” when she “aged out” of the public school system, they didn’t want her having sexual urges and getting pregnant in that setting.

There are people with autism who can be quite functional, and some who remain a burden on society their entire lives.

by Anonymousreply 44May 25, 2020 9:23 PM

A deep canal can be an unhappy mother’s best friend.

by Anonymousreply 45May 25, 2020 9:25 PM

This ugly bitch needs to get the chair. Or the needle. Or the firing squad. Or whatever they get in Florida.

by Anonymousreply 46May 25, 2020 9:27 PM

Maybe she was alone and unemployed and couldn’t take care of him.

by Anonymousreply 47May 25, 2020 9:31 PM

I know DL is bitchy, but some of the fucking comments here are downright heartless.

by Anonymousreply 48May 25, 2020 9:43 PM

"She had a profoundly disabled student who was basically a vegetable. She had been assessed to have the brain function of a two-month old."

Why the fuck is someone with the mental capacity of a newborn in SCHOOL??? They can't learn anything!

by Anonymousreply 49May 25, 2020 10:44 PM

I still remember when I was in elementary this very disabled girl asked me and my friend to help push her home. I think her electric wheelchair ran out of juice. I’ll never forget going home with her and she had a tiny room like a closet. We thought she said it was her room and she went in there on her chair. It worried us both but she was really difficult to understand so we were hoping we misunderstood her. She seem reasonably clean and the room was clean too. She was adopted I think. She was very dark skinned and the family she lived with were all white.

by Anonymousreply 50May 25, 2020 10:57 PM

I had a babysitter who was an assistant on what is called the short bus. I used to go and help her, we would go through the backroads and hand the severely disabled over to the mothers when school let out. It was deeply depressing—poverty and a big black hole of hopelessness. I know that love is supposed to overpower everything, but face it—most people can’t even overcome a receding hairline.

by Anonymousreply 51May 25, 2020 11:03 PM

I wonder how many of those students had fathers around, R51? I wonder if the father in the new Florida case was still around?

Because that happens a lot with disabled children, the father is out of there and has a new family of normal children, while the mother gets stuck with 100% of the care. And yeah, in cases like that, I'm surprised there aren't more "tragic accidents".

by Anonymousreply 52May 25, 2020 11:12 PM

My ex-boss, a true psychopath - but also very intelligent, has an autistic adult son who lives with her and her husband. People don't realize the burden it is to care for autistic people. Nothing makes sense and you have to go along with it. He'll say things that were absolute lies, fantasies, as though they were true. He does the craziest things, dangerous things, there is a constant worry about what he will do next. Given her mental condition, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if someday she just snaps, like the lady in this story.

by Anonymousreply 53May 25, 2020 11:25 PM

R49, every child in that state is entitled to a free public education. It’s one of things that their insane property taxes pay for.

My sister didn’t see the point of this student receiving services (some of the kids do benefit tremendously from that district’s special ed program), but they’re obligated to provide it and the parents demanded it. I can see both sides of it.

by Anonymousreply 54May 25, 2020 11:26 PM

Very sad. I can't imagine how hard it would be to care for a profoundly disabled child 24/7, knowing there would be no hope of improvement, your life would be like this for the next 30-40 years, and the child would likely outlive you: then your other child would have to take on the burden.

That is not to justify what she did of course .

by Anonymousreply 55May 26, 2020 1:25 AM

A friend of mine - a very intelligent and capable academic who had a history of being a little impatient with people who don't measure up intellectually - ended up having two disabled children. One seems to be high-functioning Aspergers but the other has Prader-Willi syndrome and may never be able to live independently.

Life is just one roll of the dice after another eh?

by Anonymousreply 56May 26, 2020 1:29 AM

Despite what some activist, lying fraus say (variations of “Autism isn’t a disease” or “My autistic kid is awesome!”), profoundly autistic children are the greatest burden a parent can face. Yes, there are some resources, like behavioral therapy and the like, but it falls way short of what the family needs and a lot of it results in minimal improvement. It’s mentally and physically and financially draining, breaks marriages apart, and creates a sense of hopelessness that puts you into a psychological abyss. And let’s be real, ain’t no family or friends there to help you, everyone is busy in their own lives. It’s lonely and isolating as all hell.

When they’re nonverbal, like this child was, they become violent, destructive, and self-harming. My cousin has an 8 year old autistic son. She constantly has severe bruises on her face and arms from him. He gets into trouble at school for hitting other kids in his special ed class.

Her son, like most autistic kids, is allergic to many common foods, and he projectile vomits a lot. She once made the mistake of leaving one door unlocked and he wandered away while she used the restroom. She couldn’t find him and called the police, who located him a few hours later. Because he’s autistic, he doesn’t ever reply to his name nor any answer questions.

Severely autistic kids can’t be potty trained. They’ll get into their own feces, spread it everywhere and even ingest it. They have meltdowns where they throw their body weight around or lie down completely, making it impossible to move them. They also bang their heads against the wall and can destroy your home. A lot of autistic boys are big, like this kid was, and can overpower their mothers at a young age. They are also poor sleepers, so you have to be up with them all night. Caring for them is relentless, there is no end in sight, nor do you get the pleasure of even conversing with them.

Add to this the knowledge that he will outlive you (and who else will care for him?) and the massive guilt at neglecting the other children. Plus the recent lockdowns canceled most in person therapy sessions (expecting them to be conducted online, as if an autistic kid could sit through a session).

I don’t condone her actions, but I can see why this woman snapped. It was really that simple, she snapped. She has my compassion because I’ve seen kids like hers firsthand. By all accounts, she was a loving mother before this.

Too bad she wasn’t a Kennedy. In the old days, she could have lobotomized the kid and had them sent to a facility out-of-state forever just like Joe did with his daughter.

by Anonymousreply 57May 26, 2020 3:40 AM

[quote] They are also poor sleepers, so you have to be up with them all night. Caring for them is relentless, there is no end in sight, nor do you get the pleasure of even conversing with them.

Is our president autistic?

by Anonymousreply 58May 26, 2020 3:42 AM

Tard strength is very real.

It is like God gave them superhuman strength to make up for their deficient intellect.

I swear they could bend steel.

by Anonymousreply 59May 26, 2020 5:03 AM

[quote] Tard strength is very real. It is like God gave them superhuman strength to make up for their deficient intellect. I swear they could bend steel.

So you would probably be great at at a furniture moving job.

by Anonymousreply 60May 26, 2020 8:06 AM

How did closet case Travolta get rid of his tard son again?

by Anonymousreply 61May 26, 2020 8:09 AM

[quote]Maybe she was alone and unemployed and couldn’t take care of him.

That's no excuse for murder.

by Anonymousreply 62May 26, 2020 10:34 AM

Can you drop a kid off at the firehouse at that age with no repercussions like a baby?

by Anonymousreply 63May 26, 2020 10:38 AM

This mom is married, has another child and her husband is supporting her through this, claiming that it was an accident. She is not a single mom.

by Anonymousreply 64May 26, 2020 10:52 AM

[quote]Can you drop a kid off at the firehouse at that age with no repercussions like a baby?

Not at his age. One may go through the legal process of relinquishing parental rights so the teen becomes a ward of the state.

by Anonymousreply 65May 26, 2020 11:26 AM

^^^ Is it that easy to do though? I think i remember reading there was no real way to do it (depending on jurisdiction obvs) without being charged with child abandonment, given that the state doesn't want to pay to take care of these kids full-time.

by Anonymousreply 66May 26, 2020 11:31 AM

I can understand why she would do it. I would hate to have to take care of someone 8 hours a day, 5 days a week much less 24/7. What a horrible life.

My boss had an autistic adult son, he told me that he and his wife admitted to each other that they comtemplated suicide often. One day his wife took a nap and died in her sleep. My boss died a year later, they were both in their late forties.

by Anonymousreply 67May 26, 2020 11:54 AM

Like R57 says this mom probably just snapped. Caring for a child like this is torture for the families involved. It’s a very sad situation all around.

by Anonymousreply 68May 26, 2020 12:01 PM

[quote] Is it that easy to do though?

If the child is violent or harmful he or she can be put into the system. But if the kid is disabled and the parent is worn out and annoyed finds caring for him or her a pain in the ass, that's a bit different.

But in general it is not easy to do and that is deliberate. It's an extended legal process with an understandable shit ton of documentation because they have to understand they will have zero access to their child. No visits, no knowing he or she is in a safe home. It's such a traumatic action that there is a long course for it to complete so the parents have to commit to giving up their child.

This woman is Latina, and the strong multigenerational family dynamic have have made the idea of giving up her child more taboo than murder.

by Anonymousreply 69May 26, 2020 12:07 PM

Do you know how nightmarish the kid's life would be "in the system", as a ward of the state? I too would probably rather see my child dead than living through decades of hell and likely abuse by "carers" in some institution. This woman risked prison to spare him suffering. Now they're both going to suffer, and her husband too. Tragedy all-round.

by Anonymousreply 70May 26, 2020 12:29 PM

R67 It seems cruel to make parents have to take care of non verbal autistic children for the rest of their lives and be such a heavy burden.

by Anonymousreply 71May 26, 2020 1:27 PM

Kill your own child and race bait. What a doll. Beat her to death with a tire iron, please.

by Anonymousreply 72May 26, 2020 2:06 PM

There used to be institutions for those types of children, but they were horribly run. Willowbrook on Staten Island became infamous for this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73May 26, 2020 2:11 PM

As recent comments demonstrate, there’s no easy answer for dealing with profoundly autistic children. It’s the same thing with the mentally ill homeless. It would be great if there were safe and pleasant institutions for these people. And if the stigma were removed, for parents who are too exhausted by the 24/7 care of them. People who don’t understand are awfully judgy about institutionalization of hopeless cases. A family member has a child who is profoundly mentally and physically disabled. It’s been tragic.

by Anonymousreply 74May 26, 2020 2:30 PM

[R74] Same with me. The child will never be able to talk, use the bathroom independently or do anything, really. I would have to wonder if it was some judgement from God to be imprisoned by this living thing that can’t even express love. I know it’s not, but you would have to feel that way sometimes. Just think, for the rest of your life you wouldn’t be able to go on a road trip or leave the house for anything but errands. And you would be constantly cleaning up thrown food and vomit and excrement. That is your life.

by Anonymousreply 75May 26, 2020 4:58 PM

R69 I read in an article recently that “the system” means literally being chained to a hospital bed. Usually, when an autistic teen or adult gets violent and the police are called, the person will be hauled to a regular hospital and end up languishing there for months. The government really needs to bring long-term psychiatric institutions back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76May 26, 2020 5:43 PM

R67 Do you know what became of their son?

by Anonymousreply 77May 26, 2020 5:44 PM

R77 He works for the Trump admin. Rose.

by Anonymousreply 78May 26, 2020 10:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!