Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

When will we stop having to wear these stupid masks?

Never?

It seems like people don't want to stop wearing them. Almost like a "crutch."

If this is going to go on for longer than a few more months, I'll be pissed.

I hate wearing a mask.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115June 25, 2020 7:02 PM

STFU.

by Anonymousreply 1May 23, 2020 6:20 AM

Sometimes I think the mysterious entity that owns this malfunctioning website posts trolley posts like this just to increase traffic.

by Anonymousreply 2May 23, 2020 6:22 AM

So you're perfectly happy wearing a mask everywhere you go, for the next year R1?

Maybe two years? Or three?

That is ridiculous and absurd.

by Anonymousreply 3May 23, 2020 6:22 AM

Funny how you will call a person a troll, R2.

Yet you fail to answer the question.

HOW LONG WILL PEOPLE BE FORCED TO WEAR MASKS?

You can't answer the question. So you just hurl insults.

by Anonymousreply 4May 23, 2020 6:23 AM

OP, I don't like wearing a mask either -- I'm sure most people would say the same if you asked them -- but it's something we do for the common good. If it keeps the virus from spreading as easily, I think that alone makes it worth the sacrifice.

My guess is that it will continue until a vaccine can be found and widely distributed to the masses. I think that is what will make people relax and stop wearing masks.

by Anonymousreply 5May 23, 2020 6:27 AM

Dan Levy Explains Why Wearing a Mask Isn't About Freedom:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 23, 2020 6:28 AM

People wear masks a lot in Japan and other place in the Far East. Year round. I'm happy they've caught on as much as they have. I'll definitely (and happily) wear one till the vaccine - maybe afterwards, in flu/cold season. I'm old and have asthma.

by Anonymousreply 7May 23, 2020 6:31 AM

[quote]HOW LONG WILL PEOPLE BE FORCED TO WEAR MASKS?

Sweetheart.

You're not "forced" to wear masks, any more than you're "forced" to wear a shirt and shoes. You just can't do certain things if you don't.

If I don't feel like wearing a jacket and tie, I don't have to... unless I go to a swanky restaurant, where the business owner requires it as the price of admission.

These are not complicated concepts, unless you're an idiot or a Russian bot.

by Anonymousreply 8May 23, 2020 6:34 AM

I never wear a mask unless absolutely compelled to. I carry one around with me, like a Papua New Guinea highlander wears the shrunken head of his enemy on a cord around his neck or the bones of his ancestors in a pouch on a cord around his waist. A jungle primitive carrying an amulet for good juju.

by Anonymousreply 9May 23, 2020 6:35 AM

Everyone but the uglies should stop wearing them.

by Anonymousreply 10May 23, 2020 6:36 AM

Rofl, R9.

That's basically what I've been doing as well.

But as R8 pointed out, you're still restricted from going into certain places without a mask, and that's the part that I find annoying.

However, I understand that private businesses are allowed to set their own rules, so whatever.

I'm just hoping that enough people will stay away because of the mask policy, so that they will lose business and re-think their stance on wearing a mask.

by Anonymousreply 11May 23, 2020 6:37 AM

I hate masks but in an enclosed space I will wear it during a pandemic. Nobody loves it OP and nobody wants to be infected or spread disease, what is your point? I hate condoms too but I use them. However, unlike condoms, this is not between sex partners but about many who have no choice in being exposed to the virus. So yes, I hate them and can't stand the thought of wearing them, but it's not all about me.

by Anonymousreply 12May 23, 2020 6:38 AM

Isolate the immunocompromised! Everyone else, build up immunity!

by Anonymousreply 13May 23, 2020 6:39 AM

[quote] People wear masks a lot in Japan and other place in the Far East.

America isn't the far east. Thank goodness.

The most ridiculous thing I've seen, is a person driving alone in their car (with windows up), and wearing a mask.

Are they afraid of breathing in their own air?? I swear, some people are fucking insane. Like, total fucking nutjobs.

This pandemic has really brought out the crazy.

by Anonymousreply 14May 23, 2020 6:40 AM

Nobody here in Norway is wearing a mask. The Norwegian Institute of Health said the effect of wearing a mask was not good enough to demand wearing one. We're still doing great here. There is zero people hospitalized with covid-19 at my local hospital and there has barely been any new infected these past few weeks in the entire country.

by Anonymousreply 15May 23, 2020 6:42 AM

R14 I notice it daily. It boggles my mind.

by Anonymousreply 16May 23, 2020 6:42 AM

R7 seems to be the only one with a realistic outlook on this bullshit.

Expect to wear masks for the next year or so. Everywhere you go. Or no entry.

That's just fan-fucking-tastic.

by Anonymousreply 17May 23, 2020 6:43 AM

Personally I feel wearing a mask. Not solely because of covid, although that is the main contributing factor to why I wear it, but it makes me feel so clean and sanitary. Think of all the every day pollutants (cigarette smoke, car exhaust, the body odour of the obese) that you filter out by wearing it.

by Anonymousreply 18May 23, 2020 6:45 AM

[quote] what is your point?

The point is, people are expected to wear a mask into clothing stores and restaurants, state and city offices, grocery stores, drug stores, doctor's offices, etc. Maybe even schools (if they ever open up again).

This affects every aspect of our lives. And most of these places are demanding that we wear a mask, if we want to enter.

So it's a valid question. How long can we expect to have to do this?

Because I say that anything over a couple of months, is TOO long.

by Anonymousreply 19May 23, 2020 6:48 AM

Honest to freakin' God. It is not really that much of an inconvenience. It's a simple thing, a request to be respectful of others. Do try to shoulder on - this will end eventually.

by Anonymousreply 20May 23, 2020 6:48 AM

R20 Who makes you the the judge and jury of what not wearing a mask is? There's a hell of a lot of physicians who do not advocate for it.

by Anonymousreply 21May 23, 2020 6:50 AM

I nominate OP for the 'Biggest asshole on DL' award for the month of May.

by Anonymousreply 22May 23, 2020 6:52 AM

Having a difference of opinion from someone else R22, does not make someone an asshole.

Except in your very narrow, and immature brain.

People such as yourself, who are incapable of civil discussion, demonstrate a profound lack of intelligence.

by Anonymousreply 23May 23, 2020 6:55 AM

I'm not going to lie, I hate wearing the mask. Went shopping today and felt I was suffocating. If given a choice I wouldn't wear one.

by Anonymousreply 24May 23, 2020 6:55 AM

That dr. Oster (something) from MN with a PHD in virology said there’s no evidence it does anything and gave example of somewhere in China where they all wore them and it spread like wildfire

by Anonymousreply 25May 23, 2020 6:56 AM

It’s fine. I wear it even when I go running. It’s fine.

by Anonymousreply 26May 23, 2020 6:57 AM

I hope that the mask thing doesn't become the norm here the way it is in Asia. It would be too dystopian of a future for me to deal with. That said, I do look at least 10 years younger when wearing one so...

by Anonymousreply 27May 23, 2020 6:59 AM

Here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 23, 2020 7:01 AM

R23 you're acting out like a petulant child.

by Anonymousreply 29May 23, 2020 7:01 AM

R22 shut up— you sound like an entitled ass Karen. Don’t wear a mask so Rona can kill you and let the rest of us have some peace

by Anonymousreply 30May 23, 2020 7:02 AM

R15, you are so damned lucky you live in Norway.

At least your government officials are sane and reasonable.

by Anonymousreply 31May 23, 2020 7:03 AM

I won't wear face mask either after July 4th. And I will just create a group of people to boycott businesses that compel people to wear face masks before entering their premises.

It's ridiculous for young, healthy, good-looking people with pearly white teeth to cover half of their faces so that old, fat, diabetic, ugly geezers could walk around nonchalantly. Fuck them fat fucks, just lose 200 pounds off your shitty bodies!!!

by Anonymousreply 32May 23, 2020 7:04 AM

R30, yeah, I'm SO entitled that I wear a mask to protect other people.

by Anonymousreply 33May 23, 2020 7:07 AM

[quote] you sound like an entitled ass Karen. Don’t wear a mask so Rona can kill you

Wow, R30.

One silly meme and one lame slang term, all in one post.

No wonder you enjoy wearing a mask.

by Anonymousreply 34May 23, 2020 7:10 AM

"Having a difference of opinion from someone else [R22], does not make someone an asshole."

Oh, hon, that's not why you're an asshole. God bless.

"Except in your very narrow, and immature brain."

Now, this is more of an asshole thing to say.

"People such as yourself, who are incapable of civil discussion, demonstrate a profound lack of intelligence."

It's a good thing you didn't have to speak that line.

by Anonymousreply 35May 23, 2020 7:11 AM

You're not nearly as clever as you think you are, R35.

Which makes you even sadder.

by Anonymousreply 36May 23, 2020 7:13 AM

Until we have a vaccine, the standard precautions of masks and social distancing are going to be the only options we have for stopping the spread of the virus, now that lockdowns are ending.

This is a super obvious science based approach that just makes common sense. I don't why some people have to fight so hard against the common good.

by Anonymousreply 37May 23, 2020 7:17 AM

[quote] Until we have a vaccine, the standard precautions of masks and social distancing are going to be the only options we have for stopping the spread of the virus, now that lockdowns are ending.

Social distancing is fine. It doesn't require any effort, nor does it significantly take away from your quality of life.

Masks, on the other hand, are a different story.

They constrict your breathing, they're hard on your face, they're an inconvenience, they're hot, and they mute your senses.

Most of all (as R15 pointed out), it's not even certain whether or not wearing a mask actually accomplishes anything!

If our government had any common sense at all, they would simply tell people to keep your distance and wash your hands frequently. And if you're sick, stay home.

It's so easy, but because of our chaotic federal-state-city government relationships, nobody can figure out what's true and what's false.

by Anonymousreply 38May 23, 2020 7:31 AM

[quote]This is a speculative approach based more on fear than scientific knowledge. I don't why some people have to fight so hard to control others based on their own irrational criteria.

by Anonymousreply 39May 23, 2020 7:33 AM

You're infantile, OP. Grow the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 40May 23, 2020 7:35 AM

Masks reduce the transmission of the virus by 75% (last I read). If we'd gone full mandatory masks early on we'd have shut down the virus before it could really get established.

by Anonymousreply 41May 23, 2020 7:36 AM

OP during World War II:

How long do we have to keep rationing? Forever? If it's any longer than a few months, I'm going to be very pissed.

You want me to buy war bonds? Why should I give the government money that I worked for? What are they doing for me, huh?

Victory garden? Now you want me to grow my own food?!? This is outrageous.

Me me me me me, my freedom, my feelings ooooooh you all make me so ANGRY

*head explodes*

by Anonymousreply 42May 23, 2020 7:42 AM

R39. since when is following the best science and evidence irrational?

Masks reduce the spread of the virus. if it just was about protecting your own life I wouldn't care. You take whatever risks you want, but it isn't. It's about not spreading the virus to other people. It's about the health and safety of others. It's about the common good.

by Anonymousreply 43May 23, 2020 7:44 AM

R14 we don’t use the term “Far East” any more. It’s Eurocentric. For my country, for example, the “Far East” is the near north. Try “Asia”, R14. Although Japan doesn’t consider itself as part of Asia, so try calling Japan “Japan”.

FYI, because I’m sure that you won’t be aware, the wearing of masks in Japan and in other countries has traditionally been done out of consideration for other people, so that the wearer doesn’t pass on their germs to others.

It’s basic good manners, but I’m sure that you’re not familiar with that concept.

by Anonymousreply 44May 23, 2020 7:48 AM

Trump is setting a bad example by not wearing a mask.

It would be bad enough if he were doing it because of some misguided principle but as we’ve learned in the last 3 1/2 years the only principle he has is to be a contrarian.

He is a base, craven individual (I was going to say man but he’s not really a man, he’s a small child in his 70s) with no principles at all.

The ONLY reason he doesn’t want to wear a mask is because it will mess up his orange toner.

by Anonymousreply 45May 23, 2020 8:01 AM

In East Asia, we initially wore faces mask because of the damn PM2.5 pollution which troubled us every winter; not because of our thoughtfulness of keeping germs from others. And people didn't wear it all the time all year round. Now it's quite exhausting to have to wear it all the time. Annoying!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 46May 23, 2020 8:40 AM

Eldergays like them because then they don't have to wear dentures.

by Anonymousreply 47May 23, 2020 8:46 AM

[quote]Yet you fail to answer the question. HOW LONG WILL PEOPLE BE FORCED TO WEAR MASKS?

Depends on your jurisdiction and how long the virus lasts, dipshit. Did you really think you could troll your way into convincing people that wasn't the case?

by Anonymousreply 48May 23, 2020 8:57 AM

[quote]There's a hell of a lot of physicians who do not advocate for it.

There probably aren't "a hell of a lot." Some, sure, but there are always doctors who have a political agenda and are willing to shill for the Republicans, or doctors who are set in their ways. Old studies said wearing a mask didn't prevent people from catching viruses and by god that's the end of it, as far as some doctors are concerned.

Masks help slow the spread of disease, not stop it. This virus uses asymptomatic and presymptomatic spread and masks help stop droplets from people who have it but don't have symptoms from getting into the air. That's a little different than previous flu viruses.

Pair masks with avoidance of crowds and infected people, washing hands, and social distancing, and it helps slow spread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49May 23, 2020 9:06 AM

"You're not nearly as clever as you think you are, [R35].

Which makes you even sadder."

Spoken by somebody who's paraphrasing Trump's all purpose riposte.

by Anonymousreply 50May 23, 2020 9:14 AM

[quote] It's about not spreading the virus to other people. It's about the health and safety of others. It's about the common good.

To date, turning away, covering one's mouth when sneezing or coughing sufficed as a preventative measure against "spreading the virus to other people", a social politeness if you will. Due to the ignorance of and fear generated by this novel virus, suddenly this is no longer sufficient. It no longer has anything to do with "the common good" and far more to do with controlling the populace for political agenda, using "we're making these demands for the good of all" spin as a bludgeon, so that the entire populace must behave identically whether or not they are at risk and are chastised for questioning the logic of diktats ostensibly made on their behalf.

It could just as well be that wearing a mask is no different to the heretofore common covering of one's mouth with a hand or handkerchief. That public health officials are doing nothing more than overreacting, due to ignorance. And, most importantly, given this ignorance, that one medical opinion is just as valid as another.

by Anonymousreply 51May 23, 2020 9:22 AM

[quote] Almost like a "crutch."

Hahahah. I know, right? It's a fucking "crutch" having to depend on your health to live a life. Ooooh geee, the humanity.

Eldergays suck.

by Anonymousreply 52May 23, 2020 9:25 AM

Also, you can tell which doctors are politically motivated and which ones aren't. It's hilarious. I've seen the letters to the president signed by doctors pleading, desperately, for him to "open the economy".

Fox News loves publishing these letters.

Anyway, believe whichever doctors you want. Follow whichever doctors you want. Cite whatever sources you want.

Humanity's gonna do whatever the fuck they want anyway, and they're gonna hate each other for it regardless.

So fuck all of you. Maskless or otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 53May 23, 2020 9:28 AM

"Face masks make men look like criminals and women more mysterious"

by Anonymousreply 54May 23, 2020 10:11 AM

R51, no turning your head to sneeze etc. isn't sufficient. The coronavirus is far more communicable and deadlier than a cold or flu. It can be spread just by talking without a mask.

You must have heard all of this a thousand times by now. You know this thing spreads easily and kills easily. We have nearly 100,000 dead in the US and you think telling people to wear masks is ignorance and a tool for political control? Are you insane?

by Anonymousreply 55May 23, 2020 11:19 AM

[quote]Because I say that anything over a couple of months, is TOO long.

Are you a medical doctor? Why should anyone give a fuck about your opinion?

by Anonymousreply 56May 23, 2020 11:28 AM

[quote]It could just as well be that wearing a mask is no different to the heretofore common covering of one's mouth with a hand or handkerchief.

Except before the masks, no one does that. My sister works in an ER and says she is constantly telling people to cover their mouths when the cough. People are rude and don't think about other people just themselves so masks are necessary. A handkerchief? Really? No one has carried one of those around since the early 1900's Gramps. No one under they age of 60 that I know wants a skanky snot rag in their pocket.

by Anonymousreply 57May 23, 2020 11:34 AM

The American medical community initially dismissed masks because they focused on whether they protected the wearer. As most well-informed, non-Deplorables know, the mask protects others from the wearer. What a surprise that this streak of Americans find the inconvenience of a mask a bigger problem than 100,000 deaths.

by Anonymousreply 58May 23, 2020 11:37 AM

How long will I have to wear a seatbelt? I’m so tired of it, it looks stupid and it leaves creases on my Italian shirts! Will this last forever?

Are you all just going to keep wearing seatbelts without fighting back???? And what about stupid speed limits and not being able to run red lights? I’m so tired of all this!

by Anonymousreply 59May 23, 2020 11:40 AM

go eat shit and die, you whiny baby/OP

by Anonymousreply 60May 23, 2020 11:46 AM

I don't enjoy having to smell my own breath.

by Anonymousreply 61May 23, 2020 11:50 AM

I don't enjoy having to smell your breath either.

by Anonymousreply 62May 23, 2020 11:52 AM

[quote]Social distancing is fine. It doesn't require any effort. Masks are a different story.

Yes. God forbid you should extend any effort to help protect your fellow human beings.

"Models show that if 80 percent of people wear masks that are 60 percent effective, easily achievable with cloth, we can get to an effective R0 of less than one. That’s enough to halt the spread of the disease. "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 23, 2020 11:53 AM

Has anyone been to a barber yet who objected to your removing the ear straps while your hair was being cut?

by Anonymousreply 64May 23, 2020 11:56 AM

R61 if you brush your teeth and floss your breath won’t bother you.

by Anonymousreply 65May 23, 2020 11:56 AM

[quote]The most ridiculous thing I've seen, is a person driving alone in their car (with windows up), and wearing a mask.

Did it occur to you that maybe they were traveling between one place and another, and rather than touch the mask or mess around with it in between destinations, they just left it on? What the fuck is wrong is with you?

And anyone comparing anything about Norway with the US is an idiot. Norway has a population of 5 million people. The US has 330 million. My state alone has eight times the population of Norway. FFS.

by Anonymousreply 66May 23, 2020 11:59 AM

What R66 said - and since I was about to post something similar before I saw their post, I'll go ahead and post it anyway:

As to why people would be wearing masks while driving their cars: (1) It reminds you not to touch your face until you can get home and wash your hands; (2) If you're used to it anyway, it saves the trouble of taking it off and putting it back on when you get where you're doing - and it eliminates the possibility that you'll forget to put it back on. And why should anybody give a damn what you do in your car anyway, if it doesn't hurt anybody else? They should mind their own business imo.

by Anonymousreply 67May 23, 2020 12:01 PM

* when you get where you're GOING

by Anonymousreply 68May 23, 2020 12:01 PM

I’ve seen this “person driving alone in their car wearing a mask -how ridiculous” post so many times on different COVID threads. What a devastating and lasting effect that must have had on the poor poster....

by Anonymousreply 69May 23, 2020 12:02 PM

[quote]Why should anyone give a fuck about your opinion?

They looked in the mirror, saw the color of their skin, and realized that what they said goes. I assume that's how it works lol.

by Anonymousreply 70May 23, 2020 12:06 PM

The masks are not stupid. If the person wearing one (or not wearing one) is stupid, then perhaps.

by Anonymousreply 71May 23, 2020 12:06 PM

[quote]What a devastating and lasting effect that must have had on the poor poster....

You gotta ask yourselves what bothers these maskless protestors so much. They actively DISLIKE seeing people wear masks. They don't get it. But realize, these people are used to being IN CONTROL of others, while demanding that no one control them.

That there are homosexuals who don't get this proves to me what's actually always been clear about the gay community.

by Anonymousreply 72May 23, 2020 12:07 PM

[quote]Did it occur to you that maybe they were traveling between one place and another, and rather than touch the mask or mess around with it in between destinations, they just left it on?

You're likely arguing with eldergays who can't think critically.

by Anonymousreply 73May 23, 2020 12:08 PM

[quote]How long will I have to wear a seatbelt? I’m so tired of it, it looks stupid and it leaves creases on my Italian shirts! Will this last forever?

LADIES I'VE DONE RESEARCH!!!

[QUOTE]Seatbelts aroused heated debate despite increasing scientific research in the 1940s and 1950s affirming their value in saving lives. Among the arguments put forth against seatbelts was that they could cause internal injuries; that they prevented easy escapes from cars submerged in water; and that devices frequently failed. All were disputed by researchers but opposition remained fierce.

The best part:

[quote]Some opponents argued the decision to use a seatbelt should be personal rather than legal. A letter to the Appleton Post Crescent in 1964 stated, "As long as the life risked is his own, I believe the individual should decide whether or not the use of safety belts is wise."

The parallels between the opposition to wearing masks and the opposition to wearing seatbelts is nigh identical.

I suspect the eldergays complaining about masks are the VERY SAME ONES who caused a ruckus during the 40s-60s.

In fact... aren't we living in the wake of the fucking right wing idiocy that generated from that Leave it to Beaver time period?

God damn America.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74May 23, 2020 12:13 PM

R14 and R16, let me un-boggle. 1. you are only supposed to touch the mask with clean hands. 2. you are supposed to leave the mask in place. 3. it's a habit. 4. For many people, it is not the least bit uncomfortable. 5. It's good hygiene.

The main reason some doctors disagree about mask use, and in science there is always contrary information, is that people don't use the mask correctly. They take it on and off, fiddle with it with unclean hands and don't wash it. I wish ANY doctor advocating against mask use would be asked about their investment portfolios or research funding.

Fun fact: The NYPD has an infection rate 50 percent lower than the general population. Why? They wear masks. It's not because copper kills viruses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75May 23, 2020 12:23 PM

It isn’t the eldergays that have a problem with masks.

It’s the damn conservatives.

Although I use the term “Contards”

by Anonymousreply 76May 23, 2020 12:36 PM

But with seatbelts, it was mostly the wearer who was putting himself at risk. (although there's the same argument that it takes up time, effort, money from out health system just because idiot jerks won't take precautions.

However, I was a kid in the 1960s and my parents didn't wear seatbelts and neither did I. It was the lap belt kind, and the belts would slip inside the car seat, so it would have taken me quite a while to stick my hand down in between the seat back and seat to pull the belt out. (I remember trying!) And even then, as a kid, sometimes I wasn't able to extricate the damned thing. People didn't even give a shit about their kids back then. They let little ones stand up in the seat and walk around on them while the car was moving - and they'd stick kids in the back of open pickup trucks.

I guess we've made some progress. But not on masks. Maybe Confucius was right - you have to force people to behave in an orderly way. Otherwise they're wild stupid apes.

by Anonymousreply 77May 23, 2020 12:40 PM

* I meant the NON-wearer put himself at risk

by Anonymousreply 78May 23, 2020 12:41 PM

The last two food deliveries I had were by people not wearing masks - one from Domino's Pizza (don't judge) and one by Uber Eats.

So now I'm gonna double mask and go to the drive-thru. But I'm pissed off.

by Anonymousreply 79May 23, 2020 12:49 PM

I only wear a mask when I cannot social distance otherwise it won't do fuck all to protect anyone outside of confined spaces.

by Anonymousreply 80May 23, 2020 12:50 PM

Yes it will. It will protect others from you.

by Anonymousreply 81May 23, 2020 12:58 PM

[quote]HOW LONG WILL PEOPLE BE FORCED TO WEAR MASKS?

How long will we be forced to wear seatbelts and purchase insurance to buy a vehicle?

Why are there speed limits on roads?

Why can't we grab the ass of any cute guy we see in public?

Why can't I beat the shit out of anyone who irritates me or looks at me the wrong way?

What's wrong with talking out loud in a theater during a movie or theater presentation, and why do I have to turn off my phone?

What's wrong with bullying other kids in school?

by Anonymousreply 82May 23, 2020 1:00 PM

The Repugs have become the Pro-Death Party

by Anonymousreply 83May 23, 2020 1:03 PM

[quote]The Repugs have become the Pro-Death Party

They've sanctified lives to death!

by Anonymousreply 84May 23, 2020 1:33 PM

With the opening up of all these public places, the only thing that might help save us is if EVERYONE wears a mask. It's what China finally did. And it seems to have worked.

by Anonymousreply 85May 23, 2020 1:42 PM

If wearing masks still isn't something people are used to yet (and clearly it isn't), I think it will be once we start seeing it portrayed in TV shows and movies (those set in the present day I mean). Seeing Mariska Hargitay and Ice-T doing a scene in masks every week will drive home the point that times have definitely changed.

by Anonymousreply 86May 23, 2020 4:22 PM

[quote]Seeing Mariska Hargitay and Ice-T doing a scene in masks every week will

They'll just call it liberal propaganda as they cough in their baby's face. Fuck 'em.

by Anonymousreply 87May 23, 2020 5:37 PM

Why should the people on Law and Order SVU wear masks now? Beyond an episode or two that makes use of the lockdown in its premise that's ridiculous. It's a relatively mild disease. The idea is, and there's no reason to think otherwise, that things will go back to normal in a half a year's time?

by Anonymousreply 88May 23, 2020 5:58 PM

Until things are better. No one is enjoying it but I am a little surprised how big a deal people are making over this small inconvenience. Seems like a tiny thing to ask, if it protects you and others. The more consistently we do it, the faster things will get better, so for that practical reason alone, it’s worth it. The protests and complaints about the masks are so odd to me.

by Anonymousreply 89May 23, 2020 7:01 PM

[quote] I am a little surprised how big a deal people are making over this small inconvenience.

It's no different than children and seatbelts. It's literally the same behavior. Humans suck.

by Anonymousreply 90May 23, 2020 7:13 PM

R90 It's not the same thing. There are other ways to lower transmission of the disease, there is no alternative to a seatbelt.

If someone doesn't want to wear it that's their choice.

by Anonymousreply 91May 23, 2020 7:59 PM

I'd be less concerned about the mask wearing, and more concerned about personal hygiene.

I'm seeing cashiers using absolutely filthy blue gloves. They are touching everything from money to food to garbage, all with the same gloves.

Sure, it gives them protection on their hands, but it's spreading a whole bunch of germs to the consumer.

Also, despite wearing masks, many people in restrooms are still not washing their hands, and then touching paper towel dispensers and water faucets.

It's so damned gross.

by Anonymousreply 92May 23, 2020 9:27 PM

^^Avoid public restrooms. Scientists say coronavirus can spread through "aerosolized feces."

by Anonymousreply 93May 23, 2020 10:42 PM

This

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94May 23, 2020 11:59 PM

[quote]If someone doesn't want to wear it that's their choice.

Then they shouldn't be around other people who don't want to catch anything from them on the possibility they can be positive yet be asymptomatic.

Remember, the mask doesn't protect the wearer; it protects the person with whom the wearer comes in contact.

by Anonymousreply 95May 24, 2020 1:17 AM

R95, they don't care. It's become another culture war for them. No amount of logic is going to matter. They now equate not wearing a mask with "owning the libs". I never would have thought the US would regress into such primitive tribalism, where science and caring for the common good is openly mocked and derided.

by Anonymousreply 96May 24, 2020 1:22 AM

Idiot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97May 24, 2020 1:23 AM

R95 The risk of outside transmission from a passerby is abysmally low and I already keep 6 feet apart as best I can.

by Anonymousreply 98May 24, 2020 2:16 AM

I think this is a pretty silly hill to die on and it’s sad to me that people are more concerned about not being “told what to do” than they are protecting themselves and others. Unfortunately those who get infected because they refuse to take precautions are a liability to healthcare workers and others. It’s shocking to me how selfish people are.

by Anonymousreply 99May 24, 2020 4:27 AM

Such a dainty little thing, our Caitlyn.

by Anonymousreply 100May 24, 2020 4:44 AM

Oops - wrong thread. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 101May 24, 2020 4:46 AM

[quote]If someone doesn't want to wear it that's their choice.

Dan Levy: "Imagine seeing it not as an infringement on your freedom, but rather the simplest, easiest act of kindness that you can do in a day."

by Anonymousreply 102May 24, 2020 12:58 PM

[quote]R95 The risk of outside transmission from a passerby is abysmally low and I already keep 6 feet apart as best I can.

This isn't about you personally; it's about everyone.

Last week I was at the cleaners and the woman who owned the place - she was further back in the store while someone else attended to me - had the mask on below her nose and after about a couple of minutes of my being there, sneezed three times in a row.

I'm presuming it was allergies, since it's that time of year.

However, I don't know that she may have also been positive and asymptomatic at the same time - which would mean her tiny snot particles went traveling through the air as I waited behind the counter for the person helping me to get my stuff, pay and then leave.

Sometimes being six feet away isn't enough, particularly (to use that one example, and there are others) when one is in a store with someone who doesn't like a "stupid mask".

by Anonymousreply 103May 24, 2020 1:24 PM

r94, You realize that you posted PURE propaganda. It looks like a newspaper but it's an AD? MJ is a media company who will push any message a client wants. THIS is the problem, people who have no idea what they are talking about pushing false facts. It's a good ad but read the "About Us" tab.

True confession- I'm practically an idiot. That's why I listen to scientists. I don't know anything about epidemiology and I can't trust my own feelings about mask wearing. For advice, I look to infectious disease specialists, the CDC and other experts in public health, not my fucking next door neighbor or fake ADs on facebook.

by Anonymousreply 104May 24, 2020 3:00 PM

[quote]It's not the same thing. There are other ways to lower transmission

I'm talking about the dumb fuck okie childish response to using seatbelts/masks.

by Anonymousreply 105May 24, 2020 4:31 PM

R103 The premise is that if you are six feet away those particles will not reach you. Bye.

by Anonymousreply 106May 24, 2020 9:37 PM

My cousin who is a NYC surgeon told me that it is the opinion of many other experienced doctors and epidemiologists that the COVID-19 virus is easily aerosolized and carry 10 feet and more , which is why it more contagious than the regular common cold is.

by Anonymousreply 107May 24, 2020 9:44 PM

R106, A sneeze, as in R103's scenario, can spread the virus 18 feet.

by Anonymousreply 108May 24, 2020 10:13 PM

[quote]R103 The premise is that if you are six feet away those particles will not reach you. Bye.

Are you as stupid as you sound?

by Anonymousreply 109May 25, 2020 12:36 AM

R109, ever heard of sneezing into your arm? Most do it.

by Anonymousreply 110May 25, 2020 1:23 AM

I've very rarely seen anyone do that.

by Anonymousreply 111May 25, 2020 1:45 AM

Several experts including what Norwegian officials sided with say cloth masks (not n95 ventilators) don’t keep it from being transmitted.

by Anonymousreply 112May 25, 2020 6:22 AM

[quote]R109, ever heard of sneezing into your arm? Most do it.

R110 - Did you not read my post @ R103.

[bold]I'VE[/bold] heard of sneezing into your arm.

But a lot of stupid people out there, like the sneezing woman I referred to at the cleaners, couldn't be bothered.

by Anonymousreply 113May 25, 2020 2:52 PM

[quote]It’s shocking to me how selfish people are.

Unfortunately, where it comes to Republicans, it's not that shocking.

by Anonymousreply 114May 25, 2020 4:18 PM

R47

So true

by Anonymousreply 115June 25, 2020 7:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!