Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Wow, Bostonians seem like such nice people šŸ˜³

Why are Native Bostonians even meaner than Native NYers? Like, calm down. No wonder my friend hates that city lmao. He always says it is because of the people from there. His exact words are ā€œ Bostonians are generally square, self important assholesā€

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96October 14, 2020 4:20 PM

Massholes

by Anonymousreply 1May 22, 2020 10:39 PM

Drunks

by Anonymousreply 2May 22, 2020 10:39 PM

Massachusetts is filled with people like this. The one and only time I was gay bashed was in Springfield, MA.

I was sitting in my car a block away from a gay bar. This college aged guy comes up in front of the car and yells, "Are you a faggot?" I shook my head no. He then bangs his fist on the hood of my car and yells, "If you were, I'd have to rip your head off and shit down your neck."

They're worse than Southern rednecks.

by Anonymousreply 3May 22, 2020 10:44 PM

Boston Irish are psychotic. The Irish curse.

by Anonymousreply 4May 22, 2020 10:44 PM

Thatā€™s what Cambridge is for, darling.

by Anonymousreply 5May 22, 2020 10:45 PM

Bostonian men are known for their Homophobia and Racism. Theyā€™re awfully closed minded.

by Anonymousreply 6May 22, 2020 10:46 PM

We couldnā€™t give Boston back to the British if we wanted to.

by Anonymousreply 7May 22, 2020 10:47 PM

r3 ....................................... *laughs*

by Anonymousreply 8May 22, 2020 10:47 PM

I had to live in Boston for a couple years for work. It was horrid. I put in a transfer request within 6 months, and it took the next year and a half for me to move. I couldn't get out fast enough.

by Anonymousreply 9May 22, 2020 10:49 PM

I hated it, too. Bunch of ugly, rude for no reason sub-humans.

by Anonymousreply 10May 22, 2020 10:53 PM

Ugly? Some of the hottest celebs come out of Boston.

by Anonymousreply 11May 22, 2020 10:54 PM

Butt ugly.

by Anonymousreply 12May 22, 2020 10:56 PM

I moved there with my family when I was 14. It was awful. If youā€™re not from there, and if youā€™re not Irish or WASP you are viewed as suspect and less than. And the winters are dreadful. I moved away after college and have only been back twice (that was 15 years ago)

by Anonymousreply 13May 22, 2020 10:57 PM

Mark Walberg and Chubby Ben Affleck. šŸ”„

by Anonymousreply 14May 22, 2020 10:57 PM

R14, DL fave Arlene Francis.

by Anonymousreply 15May 22, 2020 10:59 PM

Mark & Donnie Wahlberg

Ben & Casey Affleck

Matt Damon

John Krasinski

Chris Evans

James Spader

John Slattery

Misha Collins

Tom Brady

All from parts of Boston

by Anonymousreply 16May 22, 2020 11:01 PM

New Yorker deflecting from the unwelcome negative attention on his city.

by Anonymousreply 17May 22, 2020 11:01 PM

[quote] Tom Brady

Brady is from San Mateo.

by Anonymousreply 18May 22, 2020 11:02 PM

You were born and raised in NY, r17?

Edward Norton is also from Boston

by Anonymousreply 19May 22, 2020 11:02 PM

It's the Irish Americans for the most part. I always thought it was funny what a victim complex they have given how viciously they tended to bully others.

by Anonymousreply 20May 22, 2020 11:05 PM

I admit to being Boston Irish Catholic. These guys are why I left. Personal note - my father was killed in that bar.

by Anonymousreply 21May 22, 2020 11:06 PM

Any backwater burg produces some beauties. Though many in the list above I wouldnā€™t agree with at all. In my area we have : Sandra Bullock, Warren Beatty, Julianne Moore, Shirley McLean, Jared Leto, Jim Morrison, and Joan from Mad Men. Oh and Geena Rowlandā€™s. At least. Iā€™m too lazy to look up the whole list. This is just shitty old Arlington Va.

by Anonymousreply 22May 22, 2020 11:07 PM

That's fucked up r21! Is that a shitty area? I've only driven around Boston on my way to Salem, Mass.

by Anonymousreply 23May 22, 2020 11:08 PM

If we include famous Politicians and females, we also have

Michael Bloomberg (who had no business in NYC)

Uma Thurman

Mindy Kailing

Allison Janney

Bobby Brown

Ben Foster

Jack Lemmon

Jennifer Coolidge

The Kennedyā€™s

Leonard Nimoy

Maura Tierney

Barbara Walters

James Remar

Donna Summer

Connie Britton

Anthony Michael Hall

Just to name a few. So the idea no one comes out of Boston is a lie. Many stars have originally come from Boston.

by Anonymousreply 24May 22, 2020 11:08 PM

Another factor is all the Ivy League grads. I've noticed hyper educated cities tend to be cold and nasty. DC has a similar energy to Boston.

by Anonymousreply 25May 22, 2020 11:10 PM

So an idiot obviously using a cell phone videoing people on the street outside a bar is called out, mostly with silliness, and the OP and the posters here want to shit on Boston for it?

Yes, there are assholes in Massachusetts. As in the taper. And the posters here and the OP show the condition is more prevalent than one state.

Shit. We even have R20 pulling the ancient Irish prejudice.

Sorry about your father, R21. But for the other fools here, bar violence of different forms is common, and not focused on or limited to "Irish Bostonians," which is a fake term anyway because there ain't no Irish there.

by Anonymousreply 26May 22, 2020 11:10 PM

[R21] Damn. Iā€™m sorry. Iā€™ve heard a lot about terrible things going down in those southie bars . Your poor dad. šŸ˜¢šŸ˜¢

by Anonymousreply 27May 22, 2020 11:10 PM

[quote] Edward Norton is also from Boston

Donā€™t make me swoon, r19.

by Anonymousreply 28May 22, 2020 11:10 PM

Ummm Boston has some very beautiful areas. Like everywhere, there are good and bad parts. You will never find an area 100% clean and beautiful. Only in the kind of the naive

by Anonymousreply 29May 22, 2020 11:10 PM

R26 unmmmm he called him a fat faggot.

by Anonymousreply 30May 22, 2020 11:12 PM

"You think you're better than me?!"

by Anonymousreply 31May 22, 2020 11:13 PM

r30 YOUā€™RE JR?

by Anonymousreply 32May 22, 2020 11:17 PM

R16,

Bette Davis

Leonard Bernstein

Mike Wallace

Ed McMahon

Donna Murphy

Walter Brennan

John Cena

John Enos

by Anonymousreply 33May 23, 2020 12:00 AM

So many celebs came from Boston. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 34May 23, 2020 12:03 AM

Celebs come from a Pittsburgh, too. Should I list them?

by Anonymousreply 35May 23, 2020 12:05 AM

Itā€™s that working class English/Irish obnoxiousness. Irish guys from Boston remind me a lot of English yob types who will shit all over you to feed their own tiny egos ā€” even if youā€™re a total stranger ā€” and if you call them on it they say ā€œIā€™m just busting ya ballsā€ (or the English version, just havin a laugh or just takin the piss).

by Anonymousreply 36May 23, 2020 12:11 AM

Boston people are the best. I've visited quite a few times and have always found strangers to be helpful. In fact, I've had multiple experiences where I'm standing in front of a transit map and had people ask if I needed help. You're going to find this one hard to believe, but they have a very cool modesty. One of the 9/11 planes left from Logan Airport, the Boston Marathon bomber...Boston had a big role in major events and they took care of business and then shut up. I don't want to name other cities but some keep reliving awful situations they've been through ad nauseum.

by Anonymousreply 37May 23, 2020 3:50 AM

Why didnā€™t the guy present hole and say come on, what are you waiting for?

by Anonymousreply 38May 23, 2020 4:28 AM

Massachusetts are full of the cuntiest cunts who ever cunted.

by Anonymousreply 39May 23, 2020 5:07 AM

One of these days theyā€™re going to fuck with the wrong person and theyā€™ll get the shit beat out of them.

by Anonymousreply 40May 23, 2020 6:30 AM

r40 Bostonian men tend to be aggressive and rough. I doubt they will lose the fight to some prissy queen.

by Anonymousreply 41May 23, 2020 6:45 AM

[quote]I don't want to name other cities but some keep reliving awful situations they've been through ad nauseum.

Oh please. We are STILL luxuriating in the Boston Marathon bombings years after the fact.

by Anonymousreply 42May 23, 2020 6:54 AM

I lived in Boston in the late 80's. There were so many place you were forbidden to walk around at night, anything beyond Mass General, Dorchester, South Boston, Mattapan.

by Anonymousreply 43May 23, 2020 2:06 PM

R43 itā€™s not like that now.

by Anonymousreply 44May 23, 2020 2:10 PM

Always hated Boston and donā€™t understand why people choose to live there. Some good historic architecture is the best I can see. But Philly does it better. The Philly Irish arenā€™t as virulently racist and violent. There is more diversity and snobbery was never encouraged like in old Boston.

by Anonymousreply 45May 23, 2020 3:17 PM

They certainly were NOT civilized when it came to busing in the 1970's.

by Anonymousreply 46May 23, 2020 3:36 PM

Oh shit! Those my broā€™s!

by Anonymousreply 47May 23, 2020 3:41 PM

Horrible, fugly people.

by Anonymousreply 48May 23, 2020 3:41 PM

Monkey Monk was strictly FROM the GUTTER.

by Anonymousreply 49May 23, 2020 3:42 PM

Marky Mark was HOT

by Anonymousreply 50May 23, 2020 3:52 PM

R46 Stupidest idea ever! Why do you think pols will never back something like that today?

We have school vouchers, which help poor students in bad schools attend better schools. However, you don't take students attending better schools and bus them to shitty schools.

This led to MASSIVE white flight, and decreased Boston's public school enrollment drastically!

I would have been one of the parents, out in the streets, throwing rocks too, if my crumb snatchers had to pull up and leave all their friends/teachers/environment for some ridiculous social experiment. AND YOU WOULD TOO!

by Anonymousreply 51May 23, 2020 4:05 PM

Boston busing was so mishandled.

While they were busing kids back and forth between South Boston and Roxbury, Chinatown had 100 percent Chinese schools. Not one white, black or brown person ever set foot in in a publicly financed school in Chinatown. So much for diversity.

Sooooo many kids dropped out of school. There was a whole generation who had no diplomas. No money for improvements or programs, only for buses. It impacted the Boston school system for years. Surrounded by universities and colleges but what a crappy school system.

Thank you Judge Garrity.

by Anonymousreply 52May 23, 2020 4:27 PM

The Tam is a dive bar in the theater district. Cash only. It's not in South Boston. And I'm pretty sure that guy is Italian. So one asshole out of twenty. Not bad odds in Boston.

by Anonymousreply 53May 23, 2020 4:33 PM

I've always liked Boston. I've been there probably a dozen times sometimes on business. And I'm Irish but they wouldn't know that. I find the people there nice and unassuming. Not flashy. People there seem normal to me. Never had any issues except for one hotel security guy who was caught breaking into my room. But he didn't have an Irish last name. The cop who arrested him did.

by Anonymousreply 54May 23, 2020 4:37 PM

Boston is never going to be as great a place as New York!

by Anonymousreply 55May 23, 2020 4:42 PM

NYC is not even great anymore. Iā€™m sick of the hype. Itā€™s been sanitized to the point it feels like every other city.

by Anonymousreply 56May 23, 2020 4:44 PM

This Boston aggressiveness and crudeness has been satirized many times on comedy shows - with good reason.

I don't understand it - but if there's a mouthy guy that's quick to fight, many times it's been a guy from Boston, in my experience.

However, they are still behind Long Island and NJ. Lots of trashy, aggressively mean talk there from both men and women. It's insane.

There are working class types in all major US cities, but they're not as aggressive as in Boston and NYC tri-state area. Why is that?

It's like it is some civic counterbalance for culture and refinement.

by Anonymousreply 57May 23, 2020 5:00 PM

^^^ And the driving is atrocious. Theyā€™ll cut you off just for meanness. Iā€™m a Mary about driving in the Northeast and wonā€™t do it.

by Anonymousreply 58May 23, 2020 5:15 PM

OOO. A Southern Belle. I always wanted to court a Southern Belle.

by Anonymousreply 59May 23, 2020 7:42 PM

I wish gays would get some balls and start carrying guns. It would be for their own good since assholes never want to fight one on one but want to fight one vs. a group. Not exactly fair.

by Anonymousreply 60May 23, 2020 9:03 PM

[quote] We are STILL luxuriating in the Boston Marathon bombings years after the fact.

Thatā€™s because it helps them momentarily assuage their inferiority complex regarding New York: ā€œHey! We were attacked too!ā€

by Anonymousreply 61May 24, 2020 6:37 AM

Cold, unfriendly and uninteresting.

by Anonymousreply 62May 24, 2020 6:48 AM

The architecture downtown is pretty, but most of the rest of the city is a shithole the further out from downtown you get.

by Anonymousreply 63May 24, 2020 7:03 AM

Fat, ugly people complains about finding no love nowhere. Nothing new. NEXT! One of the best cities I ever visited.

by Anonymousreply 64May 24, 2020 7:07 AM

[quote] NYC is not even great anymore. Iā€™m sick of the hype. Itā€™s been sanitized to the point it feels like every other city.

Fortunately for me, this is far from the truth!

by Anonymousreply 65May 24, 2020 7:13 AM

NYC is great if youā€™re rich. Otherwise itā€™s overcrowded and never ending work.

by Anonymousreply 66May 24, 2020 7:56 PM

R57 I think it's because of the population density. And the close proximity of the rich and poor and white and nonwhites. They are more mixed neighborhoods, less social barriers and many people use public transit. So people are more in conflict due to clash of cultures and lifestyles. More competition for resources and success. Compare NYC and Boston area to other cities that are way more sprawled out and have more rigid segregation like LA or Atlanta.

by Anonymousreply 67October 7, 2020 7:39 AM

I have a theory as to why Bostonians jaywalk. It can get so cold, it makes no sense to wait for the walk-signal . That habit carries year round.

I once embarrassed when I stepped of a curb in San Francisco, preparing to race across the street after traffic passed; but no, the traffic stopped, instead

My friend, who grew up. near Boston , then moved to LA, insisted on using the crosswalk on Bradford Street In Ptown, which seemed a little silly to me.

by Anonymousreply 68October 7, 2020 8:31 AM

Boston is a wonderful place to live. Thatā€™s why weā€™re always so happy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 7, 2020 9:09 AM

My mother used to say that people from New England were exactly like their weather: cold, temperamental, and miserable at least 80% of the time.

by Anonymousreply 70October 7, 2020 9:41 AM

Speaking of weather, they seem genuinely offended when it snows. As if Mothah Naychah should spare their entitled asses. Iā€™ve never seen people freak out about the weather the way the do. ā€œBlizzard of 78! People died!ā€ Every. fucking. year. But yeah, greatest place to live in the world. EVAH!

by Anonymousreply 71October 7, 2020 11:12 PM

[quote]Mothah Naychah

Classic. It's so true, everyone acts absolutely floored every time there's the slightest flurry, as though they're being blindsided by the exact same weather they get every fucking year.

by Anonymousreply 72October 7, 2020 11:51 PM

How long ago was that, R3?

by Anonymousreply 73October 8, 2020 12:37 AM

I grew up in the Midwest and lived in Massachusetts for several years. A coworker in MA told me I was one of the nicest people heā€™d ever met. Similarly, a waiter at a restaurant I frequented said once, ā€œYouā€™re always so polite.ā€ Both comments surprised me because I hardly ever spoke to either of them, but I did say things like, ā€œpleaseā€ and ā€œthank you,ā€ which they must not have heard very often.

by Anonymousreply 74October 13, 2020 6:10 PM

I remember the manhunt for the Boston Bomber. There was a voluntary Boston lockdown. The streets were deserted. People took it seriously and stayed indoors.

by Anonymousreply 75October 13, 2020 8:01 PM

R51 = Louise Day Hicks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76October 14, 2020 12:42 AM

You people know next to nothing about New Englanders - seriously, nothing.

by Anonymousreply 77October 14, 2020 12:43 AM

Is Filene's still there?

by Anonymousreply 78October 14, 2020 12:48 AM

I know that some of the most obnoxious people I've ever met have been Bostonians. One visit to Boston is sufficient for this lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 79October 14, 2020 12:50 AM

"minding your own business" while pointing a camera at strangers?

by Anonymousreply 80October 14, 2020 12:53 AM

These guys were funny šŸ˜†

by Anonymousreply 81October 14, 2020 12:59 AM

These guys were hawt!

by Anonymousreply 82October 14, 2020 1:05 AM

There's a saying on Cape Cod, when someone is acting all crotchety and New England-y: They are a Cranky Yankee. Bill Burr is from Boston, for instance. There's an emotional detachment that Bostonians have inherited from their ancestors that makes me feel very lonely when I visit. The nicest people you can find in Boston are the one's that weren't born in Boston.

I moved to Western Mass a decade ago from the West Coast. Northampton/Amherst/Hadley, and the Five College Consortium: Smith, Hampshire, Amherst College, UMASS and Mount Holyoke. Totally, totally totally different vibe here. People are warm and creative and thoughtful here. I feel that there is a lot more noncommercial, innocent creativity in Western Mass, too. Folks are bolder and less reserved. Everyone is kinda just doing their thang. And raw nature is EVERYWHERE. Foliage, trails, streams and farm stands in all directions. It's an idyllic bubble. No "Massholes" allowed!

I will drive to Boston for three reasons only: Concerts, renewing my passport, and flying in and out of Logan. Otherwise, I'd rather just drive down to NYC to hang out (and fuck, I don't even do that anymore). One would think that the trifecta of Harvard, MIT and Boston College would create enough combined electricity to power up a real creative vibrancy for the city.

by Anonymousreply 83October 14, 2020 1:14 AM

Bill Burr's SNL sketch about the beer-drinking idiot blowhard who was taste testing pumpkin ale was the funniest most on point shit I've seen about Massholes.

by Anonymousreply 84October 14, 2020 1:16 AM

R84 No shit! It was the only funny sketch of the show. But it was SO fucking funny, that it almost made up for the previous hour's lack of good sketches.

by Anonymousreply 85October 14, 2020 1:25 AM

Bawn and raised Bawstonian checkingā€™ in from Dawchestah. Yooze fuckinā€™ DataLounge queeahs can go fuck yaselves, ya gawd damn cawksuckahs! I cahnā€™t stand yooze people. Yaw beinā€™ wicked snotty douches. I could totally take all a yooze in a fight so STFU.

by Anonymousreply 86October 14, 2020 1:30 AM

I realize I never really see those Boston Southies outside of their environment. In places like DC, LA, NY etc there are always transplants from all over, but Iā€™ve never met anyone from Boston outside of Boston. So they must really love it there.

by Anonymousreply 87October 14, 2020 1:35 AM

R86 Bravo! Bravo!

by Anonymousreply 88October 14, 2020 1:37 AM

I fucking hate Boston. And that accent.

by Anonymousreply 89October 14, 2020 1:38 AM

I was with a Bostonian for years, living outside of MA. It was tolerable, because he acted normal... until we would visit his family. Back home, he became this other guy, with the Boston accent, the cynicism, the skepticism. Drinking all night, talking so LOUD. And with so much FERVOR and GESTICULATIONS.

I have to admit, it was a real turn-off for me.

by Anonymousreply 90October 14, 2020 1:42 AM

[quote] I hardly ever spoke to either of them, but I did say things like, ā€œpleaseā€ and ā€œthank you,ā€ which they must not have heard very often.

R74, this is so true. My best friend and I are both Chicagoans. She lived in Boston for a few years in college. She would say things like "hello" or "excuse me" when walking into a gas station or restaurant and people would say "you're not from around here, are you?". And I heard that same exact thing from another person who moved there from Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 91October 14, 2020 1:54 AM

Walking down the street filming is not minding your own business..

by Anonymousreply 92October 14, 2020 2:01 AM

New Englanders, including many Bostonians, are actually the most polite people in the world. Painfully old-fashioned and proper.

Keeping thank you notes alive, one gift at a time.

by Anonymousreply 93October 14, 2020 3:34 AM

R93 must be as old as their post number. I had upstairs neighbors who were from Boston once. They INTRODUCED themselves as "gahden variety Massholes." They're proud of it!

by Anonymousreply 94October 14, 2020 4:57 AM

New Englanders are New Englanders and don't require that people from other parts of the country like them.

by Anonymousreply 95October 14, 2020 6:11 AM

R93 is typing from 1890.

Sorry - but everyone on this thread has experienced a much different version of behavior - to the point that no one can say it's a stereotype.

by Anonymousreply 96October 14, 2020 4:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!