Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I've been sick in bed for the past two days, during this time a woodpecker has been hammering outside right by my window

It's one of those big ones with a red tuft on the head.

Every time I get someone to scare it away, it returns about 10-15 minutes later to continue hammering. I think it's trying to build a nest in the wood siding.

As soon as I recover I'm going to catch, kill, air-fry and eat the fucker.

by Anonymousreply 53May 25, 2020 2:31 AM

One of these OP?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 22, 2020 9:43 PM

Is it Covid ?

by Anonymousreply 2May 22, 2020 9:44 PM

I believe you are sexually fustrated on top of being sick. It is my duty to bring you pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 3May 22, 2020 9:45 PM

Your wood siding has termites. That's what the woodpecker is after - food.

by Anonymousreply 4May 22, 2020 9:45 PM

The woodpecker is not pecking on your building. It’s hunting for bugs in a nearby tree. Leave it alone unless you want the state Department of Natural Resources on your ass.

by Anonymousreply 5May 22, 2020 9:46 PM

Did he laugh annoyingly like this woodpecker???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 22, 2020 9:50 PM

[quote]The woodpecker is not pecking on your building

Um... yes it is. It's pecking directly on the siding by my window.

by Anonymousreply 7May 22, 2020 9:50 PM

I had a woodpecker problem in my condo, when I was in my early 20s. That bastard pecked every morning, right outside of my window. I went out to a club one night with friends, and heard the pecking in the morning. I was hungover, so it felt very early. I was PISSED, took a Xanax, and put my pillow over my head. The pecking went ON and ON. My mom called me an hour later, and left a voicemail saying “I know you went out last night and brought a man home. I knocked on your door for 20 minutes. Call me when he leaves”. We still laugh about it.

by Anonymousreply 8May 22, 2020 9:52 PM

R8 lol. Great story.

by Anonymousreply 9May 23, 2020 12:46 AM

Bird geek here. Do you have pics you can post? I ❤️. Lol!!!

by Anonymousreply 10May 23, 2020 12:52 AM

OP is a peckerwood.

by Anonymousreply 11May 23, 2020 1:01 AM

We have this issue as well at different times of the year and, no, no termites. We're at high altitude where they don't exist. The woodpeckers tap for many different reasons, often to make as much noise as possible to show off and attract a mate Insufferable buggers

by Anonymousreply 12May 23, 2020 1:04 AM

Hang an aluminum pie pan where it's pecking. That should scare it off.

by Anonymousreply 13May 23, 2020 1:06 AM

It's a sign. Death is approaching.

by Anonymousreply 14May 23, 2020 1:11 AM

Eating wildlife in the age of Covid?

by Anonymousreply 15May 23, 2020 1:13 AM

Drumming is a sign of advertising for a mate.

by Anonymousreply 16May 23, 2020 1:20 AM

This reminds me of Moby Dick. Ahab took the whale's actions personally when, in fact, the whale mistook the ship for a male rival and started ramming it to keep it away from potential mates. You need to get a plastic or stuffed woodpecker for his amorous inclinations.

by Anonymousreply 17May 23, 2020 1:28 AM

Op, did you hear the pecker call your name?

by Anonymousreply 18May 23, 2020 1:32 AM

Hello R17, the horny bird is drilling a glory hole into OP’s apartment. Seriously OP....do NOT stick your dick in that hole!

by Anonymousreply 19May 23, 2020 1:35 AM

Verificata of the pecker in question must be forthcoming herewith.

by Anonymousreply 20May 23, 2020 1:37 AM

Buy a plastic owl and a garden store and put it near your window.

It will scare away the wood pecker.

by Anonymousreply 21May 23, 2020 1:48 AM

The owl I get R21, but I wouldn’t advise buying a garden store in the current economy.

by Anonymousreply 22May 23, 2020 1:52 AM

Are you sure it's not a cardinal? They love to peck at their own reflection in the window glass. Quite annoying.

by Anonymousreply 23May 23, 2020 2:00 AM

Feel better soon OP.

Last time I painted the house I spent hours patching woodpecker holes in the siding. They are agents of evil, I tell ya!

by Anonymousreply 24May 23, 2020 2:00 AM

It’s mating season. I know northern flickers bang their beaks on wood to attract a mate. As soon as they get one, they stop pecking

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 23, 2020 2:04 AM

Get a cat, OP.

by Anonymousreply 26May 23, 2020 2:09 AM

we had a woodpecker in the neighborhood that came back three years in a row. He would hit the block above me and my block and then the block below me. You could hear him all day long no matter what block he was on because he LOVED the no parking signs. He is long gone but the signs are still there covered in dents in the back. He must have liked the loud noise that it made. And that noise was LOUD

by Anonymousreply 27May 23, 2020 2:38 AM

Oh, please. Those fake owls are laughable. Woodpeckers are hardcore.

by Anonymousreply 28May 23, 2020 4:44 AM

Woodpeckers are awesome.

by Anonymousreply 29May 23, 2020 4:48 AM

OP - Would it be that difficult for you to put some birdseed & rat poison on your window sill?

by Anonymousreply 30May 23, 2020 5:05 AM

I’d recommend a ripped woodpecker hand puppet with a six inch beak blasting Sylvester as it pecks besides pudgy pulp pigeons.

Birds can pull that straight people bullshit somewhere else

by Anonymousreply 31May 23, 2020 5:17 AM

Temporary aluminum siding.

by Anonymousreply 32May 23, 2020 5:32 AM

I don't mind the tapping that Northern Flickers do. It's not that loud to me. What drove me nuts is that they put holes the size of large grapefruits in the backyard. I think they're the only woodpecker that forages on the ground. Between them and the squirrels, you could sprain an ankle in those holes. It's been a couple of years since I've seen them around.

by Anonymousreply 33May 23, 2020 10:03 PM

Wood peckers crack me up! I had the same thing OP. It made me laugh hysterically, I don't know why... (I love nature and birds anyway)

by Anonymousreply 34May 23, 2020 10:07 PM

You’re at home in bed, constantly masturbating. The bird sees your wood on display and wants to peck on it.

by Anonymousreply 35May 23, 2020 10:13 PM

OP? Get a BB gun. You don't have to hit the bird -- just scare it. It won't be back.

I got rid of a whole flock of pigeons on my back porch that way. I shot off an air pistol with BBs in it only one time, and they all flew away, never to return.

Happy hunting!

by Anonymousreply 36May 23, 2020 10:25 PM

As a child watching cartoons, I never understood the hatred directed at Woody Woodpecker. Now, having one living in my neighborhood for years, I do.

Pie tins and plastic owls won’t do a damn thing. Half the time the woodpecker is hammering on metal gutters and drains and making such an annoying racket that a pie tin would sound like a whisper. And owls are only effective until the creatures figure out that the thing is a lump of plastic.

by Anonymousreply 37May 23, 2020 10:41 PM

BB gun did not work. This woodpecker was drilling holes and stuffing acorns in the shingles. We had to replace ridge caps. As old shingles were pulled up acorns went flying everywhere. I eventually shot him with a .22. Shot his head off-all that was left was his beak and eyes.

by Anonymousreply 38May 23, 2020 10:50 PM

It is illegal to kill woodpeckers. But you already knew that.

by Anonymousreply 39May 23, 2020 11:11 PM

Starlings made a nest above my bedroom window. I can’t see it, but I can hear the babies & the mother feeds them all day long. If one of my cats lies in my window the mother bird squawks at them when she flies past. The must have banged the top of my metal soffits until they broke

by Anonymousreply 40May 24, 2020 12:40 AM

R39 bs. It's not like they're endangered.

by Anonymousreply 41May 24, 2020 4:23 AM

It's NOT illegal to kill Starlings!

Invasive non-native species.

by Anonymousreply 42May 24, 2020 4:30 AM

It most certainly is illegal to kill woodpeckers, though.

by Anonymousreply 43May 24, 2020 4:31 AM

R43 is right:

[quote] All woodpeckers are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA). This law says: “No person may take (kill), harass, possess, import, export, transport, sell, purchase, barter, or offer for sale, any migratory bird, or the parts, nests, or eggs of such bird except as may be permitted under the terms of a valid permit...”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 24, 2020 4:52 AM

I've known a few UG grads from Wharton and they are indeed stellar grads. Trump was 2 yr transfer from Fordham after his father paid.

by Anonymousreply 45May 24, 2020 5:13 AM

[R39] I did know that and I did not take pleasure in it. At the time I worked a 12 hour shift 7p to 7a in ED. It was impossible to sleep with that bird drilling on the roof. I tried the fake owl, pie tins and garden hose to no avail. It was out in the country, quiet otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 46May 24, 2020 5:25 AM

R46 regarding the acorn thing, I have a severe case of trypophobia and while looking up woodpeckers I came across this and my entire body literally shuddered. It's almost like the little fuckers enjoy psychologically torturing humans.

I will admit they're nice-looking critters though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 24, 2020 7:57 PM

Now there's a phobia I never heard about.

by Anonymousreply 48May 24, 2020 8:07 PM

I have it too, r47. I started shaking after seeing that photo. So disgusting. Bee hives are worse though.

by Anonymousreply 49May 24, 2020 10:03 PM

Woodpeckers would much rather be in the woods drilling holes in trees but humans keep cutting the woods down.

by Anonymousreply 50May 24, 2020 10:19 PM

I had to look up trypophobia and learned that it is a fear of massed small holes. Do you guys who suffer from it have any idea how or why you developed it?

by Anonymousreply 51May 25, 2020 12:06 AM

Trypophobia is believed to be linked to an instinctive fear of disease, diseased things are often full of holes, furniture with woodworm for example.

by Anonymousreply 52May 25, 2020 2:05 AM

I live on acres with thousands of ponderosa pines but the woodpeckers still come to the house It makes more noise to show off for potential mates.

by Anonymousreply 53May 25, 2020 2:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!