Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

NY Unemployment Benefits

I’m a freelancer on unemployment bc of Covid. If my job offers me work and I say no...will unemployment find out?

by Anonymousreply 9May 22, 2020 10:07 PM

Now they will.

by Anonymousreply 1May 22, 2020 8:36 PM

If you're a freelancer, then you don't have a job. You may have clients whose projects you accept or not. How's the state going to find out?

by Anonymousreply 2May 22, 2020 8:40 PM

This is OP.

I should have specified that I freelance for one (large) company.

by Anonymousreply 3May 22, 2020 8:44 PM

Since you are in an ungodly situation can you move, please? Its time my girls and I make NY know it

by Anonymousreply 4May 22, 2020 8:47 PM

if that company is paying unemployment benefits on you, yes, they absolutely will find out because the company will dispute it when they get the weekly summary from the state.

by Anonymousreply 5May 22, 2020 8:47 PM

Hopefully, yes.

by Anonymousreply 6May 22, 2020 9:14 PM

On the form it asks if you earned money that week or not. Personally I would call UE and ask what the regulation is of say one week you get a gig and the next 3 you do not work. But be careful because anything you tell them could turn on you...the UE workers are not exactly high IQ plateau

by Anonymousreply 7May 22, 2020 9:29 PM

OP, it really depends on whether your company has the time or inclination to dispute it. I filed for unemployment years ago after I had quit working for a very large company. I filed thinking the company would dispute it and that would be that. But they didn’t dispute it and I received the unemployment benefits.

Now don’t jump all over me accusing me of unemployment fraud. The only fraud that occurs regarding unemployment benefits is when people simultaneously earn pay through employment AND receive unemployment. I felt I was being a bit unethical to make the unemployment claim, but I also had been paying into unemployment insurance for decades and had never before made a claim previously.

So OP, the worst that can happen is that your company somehow disputes it. From there you can decide whether to continue fighting for it.

by Anonymousreply 8May 22, 2020 9:41 PM

Like the army says "volunteer nothing"

by Anonymousreply 9May 22, 2020 10:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!