Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joe Biden tells popular radio host 'you ain't black' if considering voting for Trump

Former Vice President Joe Biden suggested Friday morning that an African-American radio personality “ain’t black” if he was questioning whether he should support the presumptive Democratic nominee over President Trump in the general election.

After an aide interrupted the interview to say that the former vice president was running short on time, Charlamagne Tha God asked that Biden pay the studio a visit the next time he’s in New York.

“It’s a long way until November,” he said. “We’ve got more questions.”

“You’ve got more questions?” Biden replied. “Well, I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t black.”

Charlamagne said that asking challenging questions of the Democratic candidate has nothing to do with supporting Trump.

“It don’t have nothing to do with Trump. It has to do with the fact that I want something for my community.”

Biden empathetically interrupted, telling Charlamagne to “take a look at my record, man. ... I have a record that is second to none,” and promised that he’d join the talk show in person.

Shortly after the interview aired, #youaintblack and #JoeBidenisaracist began trending on Twitter.

Trump campaign senior adviser Katrina Pierson said in a statement that Biden’s remarks make clear “that Joe Biden believes Black men and women are incapable of being independent or free thinking.”

Symone Sanders, a Biden campaign senior adviser, wrote on Twitter following the backlash Friday morning that Biden’s comments were made in “jest.”

“Let’s be clear about what the VP was saying: He was making the distinction that he would put his record with the African American community up against Trump’s any day. Period,” wrote Sanders.

The remark came at the end of a wide-ranging interview about black America on “The Breakfast Club,” a program popular for its candid and often contentious interviews with celebrities and politicians alike. Several Democratic candidates stopped by during the primary cycle to make their pitch, including an infamous appearance by Sen. Kamala Harris, who was mocked for an answer she gave regarding music and marijuana.

Biden has already said he wants to pick a woman as his running mate, and the campaign has been pressured for months to select a black woman, pointing to the African-American community’s overwhelming support of the former vice president during the primary process, helping push him to frontrunner status. Several prominent black female politicians, including Harris and Stacey Abrams, have received notable publicity.

Recent news that Sen. Amy Klobuchar was also being vetted for vice president sounded alarms in the black community, especially considering the heavy criticism of her record prosecuting African-Americans in Minnesota.

During the interview with Charlamagne, Biden would not acknowledge any specific people on the vice presidential shortlist, but said that “multiple black women” are being considered.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 24, 2020 4:05 PM

“He was Just being sarcastic.” Actually, Joe was indeed being a little sarcastic, and trying to be funny, and he was moderately successful at it. This is the stupidest thing in the world for anyone to be upset about.

by Anonymousreply 1May 22, 2020 5:56 PM

C’on, man!

by Anonymousreply 2May 22, 2020 5:59 PM

How soon till we see Diamond and Silk back on Fox News?

by Anonymousreply 3May 22, 2020 5:59 PM

We know Hitler, there is already a long thread on this.

by Anonymousreply 4May 22, 2020 6:00 PM

I'll say, come on. But we Democrats/MSM will talk ad nauseam about this slip, because they are unable to call out Drumpf and friends for all the shit the spew. One unsubstantiated me-too accusation, compared to Drumpf's serial and substantiated accusations. Stop eating our own. I know what he meant: blacks will never get anything for their communities from Drumpf. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 5May 22, 2020 6:30 PM

"Charlamagne Tha God" 😂 😂 😂

by Anonymousreply 6May 22, 2020 6:39 PM

You can't even tell a joke these days... this is a humorous, lighthearted show, he was just trying to be funny like the hosts. Even the host laughed.

I'm so sick of the leftist Bernouts attacking Biden, I'm starting to hope Trump gets reelected just so I can hear them bitch and moan and cry for four more years.

by Anonymousreply 7May 22, 2020 7:29 PM

You can't even tell a joke these days... this is a humorous, lighthearted show, he was just trying to be funny like the hosts. Even the host laughed.

I'm so sick of the leftist Bernouts attacking Biden, I'm starting to hope Trump gets reelected just so I can hear them bitch and moan and cry for four more years.

by Anonymousreply 8May 22, 2020 7:29 PM

This is Biden, he has always created gaffes. Still, much better than the idiot in the WH now.

by Anonymousreply 9May 22, 2020 8:35 PM

Oh, no! This makes the horror that is the current administration look like child's play. I'm going to vote for Trump now.

by Anonymousreply 10May 22, 2020 8:49 PM

R10 made me LOL. Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 11May 22, 2020 8:52 PM

Please stop talking until November.

by Anonymousreply 12May 22, 2020 8:59 PM

NY times printed this? Cancel.

by Anonymousreply 13May 23, 2020 4:32 AM

Come on man, we all know Joe's senior dementia will increase week by week. Just keep up your basement babbling Joe and you will provide the Trump campaign all the sound bites they need for some knockout television commercials. The debates will be a riot! I wonder how the two women of color on his short list of VP picks will spin this one? Kamala already pointed out his racist policies during the debates earlier this year.

by Anonymousreply 14May 23, 2020 5:14 AM

This is only going to get more disastrous.

by Anonymousreply 15May 23, 2020 5:25 AM

Biden was talking to a comedian. And he’s right.

by Anonymousreply 16May 23, 2020 5:30 AM

Relax Mary’s, blacks know a racist adversary from an ally.

by Anonymousreply 17May 23, 2020 5:32 AM

Does Kamala R17?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 23, 2020 5:42 AM

R18 I can’t stand Kamala and I’m a Californian.

by Anonymousreply 19May 23, 2020 5:46 AM

The only black people I know who are upset about this is a Bernie bro and probably Candace Owens. The rest thought it was no big deal to funny.

by Anonymousreply 20May 23, 2020 5:58 AM

R20 Because he’s right. Rethug oreos are upset lol

by Anonymousreply 21May 23, 2020 6:00 AM

this narrative is intended to push down the FACT the reps for Tara Reade have dropped her as a client.

But I do think Biden should reserve his energy for later in the campaign, keep a lower profile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 23, 2020 6:04 AM

Let Biden be Biden.

by Anonymousreply 23May 23, 2020 6:11 AM

Trump said Jews who don't vote for him are bad Jews and hardly anyone even mentioned it.

by Anonymousreply 24May 23, 2020 6:11 AM

Let’s grey this thread out as well.

by Anonymousreply 25May 23, 2020 6:31 AM

The reason the fright wing trolls make duplicate and triplicate threads on purpose is so they can bump one when another gets ff’d.

The swifter the better.

by Anonymousreply 26May 23, 2020 6:31 AM

His apology was terrific... honest, blunt, brief and done. This doesn't live past the end of today.

I was watching the Netflix documentary about HRC last night and while I have a new appreciation and respect for her, damn that woman is stubborn/scarred. She cannot apologize, even just as a tactic. I get it and I sympathize but man she got in her own way. I was thinking about this and she'd only be at the beginning of refusing to cut the ground out from under this. At least Biden moved swiftly, stupid as the whole thing is, and got it done.

by Anonymousreply 27May 23, 2020 1:37 PM

NYT is slowly morphing into Fox News.

by Anonymousreply 28May 23, 2020 1:44 PM

Ma says if you puts a knife unda Da bed it cuts da pain in two.

by Anonymousreply 29May 23, 2020 1:47 PM

[quote] The only black people I know...

That says it all.

by Anonymousreply 30May 23, 2020 2:24 PM

I'm so torn, R30, I can't decide if I should vote for a white supremacist or Biden.

by Anonymousreply 31May 23, 2020 2:45 PM

South Carolina primary voters, this is your fault. Go sit in the corner and think about what you did.

by Anonymousreply 32May 24, 2020 4:49 AM

GOP ain’t getting the black vote!

by Anonymousreply 33May 24, 2020 6:54 AM

Oh, this isn't just going to go away. This is huge! He will continue to sink himself.

by Anonymousreply 34May 24, 2020 8:37 AM

R34 Trump is president. Think about it.

by Anonymousreply 35May 24, 2020 10:24 AM

Oops.

by Anonymousreply 36May 24, 2020 4:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!