Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The National Theatre is streaming their production of A Streetcar Named Desire

Featuring Gillian Anderson as Blanche!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 29, 2020 1:43 AM

I loved it. Glad they are re-airing.

by Anonymousreply 1May 21, 2020 6:28 PM

Is anyone watching?

by Anonymousreply 2May 21, 2020 6:31 PM

Gillian Anderson is so underrated as an actress. She's one of our greats.

by Anonymousreply 3May 21, 2020 6:35 PM

Who cares?

It's all about who's Stanley.

Who's Stanley? This thread is useless without pics.

by Anonymousreply 4May 21, 2020 8:19 PM

Just watched five minutes. Stanley does not even attempt a southern accent. I guess he just arrived in New Orleans from up north. And Anderson has the broadest approximation of a southern accent one could imagine.

I'll pass on the rest of it

by Anonymousreply 5May 21, 2020 8:25 PM

r5 your loss.

It's a really interesting interpretation by the director.

by Anonymousreply 6May 21, 2020 8:33 PM

Love this production. It must have wreaked havoc on Anderson's voice, particularly the later parts of the play.

Also a truly fuckable Stanley - I've seen so many fit-fat Stanleys over the years

by Anonymousreply 7May 21, 2020 8:38 PM

Gillian is spectacular, but the fucking accent is so irritating in itself, like that of that damn kid who wanted to pat that damn dog!!!

But Ben Foster looks like a roided-out retard. PASS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 21, 2020 8:45 PM

An apartment furnished at IKEA. Oh, my.

by Anonymousreply 9May 21, 2020 8:47 PM

I do buy Ben Foster as a Southern redneck, but not as a sex symbol.

by Anonymousreply 10May 21, 2020 8:56 PM

What's with the modern dress and no scenery?

Fuck that bullshit

by Anonymousreply 11May 21, 2020 9:52 PM

I disliked this production, a lot, but though I don't care for her interpretation of Blanche, I think it signals Anderson as a great stage actress. She has the skills to be a dominant force for a few more decades if she continues to choose well (Sex Education is a terrific TV property for her, but I'd love to see her tackle Ibsen sometime soon on the stage).

by Anonymousreply 12May 21, 2020 10:13 PM

r12 she already did A Doll's House. You missed it. And she's been doing stage pretty much every year for the last 15.

by Anonymousreply 13May 21, 2020 10:19 PM

Not in London regularly anymore, r13, so that sucks to have missed it. She's a good fit for that part. We need her enlivening the stages in New York, too (saw this live at St Ann's, and while I intensely disliked the production, she is an undeniable force).

by Anonymousreply 14May 21, 2020 10:33 PM

Anderson was wonderful in Hannibal and The Fall. I wish her character in the latter was spun off into another series

by Anonymousreply 15May 21, 2020 10:47 PM

Anderson’s monotonous cadence and volume as she delivers monologue after monologue is very irritating. She is less tragic moth uncontrollably drawn to the flame and more relentless nag. She makes me sympathetic to men who beat women.

by Anonymousreply 16May 21, 2020 11:05 PM

r16, I'm guessing you were already sympathetic to men who beat women

by Anonymousreply 17May 21, 2020 11:09 PM

r14, she’s did at least one big production on Broadway, or maybe Off, just after the X-Files ended. I would have liked to have seen her in The Sweetest Swing In Baseball. The play isn’t fantastic but it is very funny and I love it when she does comedy.

by Anonymousreply 18May 22, 2020 1:29 AM

Ben Foster is super hot. Too bad he's been a lunatic and oh so SERIOUS scientologist for quite some time now. It's like he found out The Truth and it's so heavy and important that he's unable to smile anymore.

by Anonymousreply 19May 22, 2020 1:36 AM

I'm watching it tonight

by Anonymousreply 20May 22, 2020 1:38 AM

I thought this was breathtaking. Some very odd directorial choices here and there, but some strokes of brilliance as well. Anderson was indeed a bit shrill and strident at the start but I assume that was a decision so that by the end she is hoarse and broken. Was Vanessa Kirby wearing ass padding in the first scene? She must have been. I know Ben Foster is kinda nuts in real life but he was magnificent. The “Stella!” scene made me weep (Mary!) and he looked great in his underwear. Very very sexy production. Overall, loved it.

by Anonymousreply 21May 25, 2020 9:35 PM

Ben Foster probably had to give B. Singer's ass a tongue bath. I condole him.

by Anonymousreply 22May 25, 2020 9:44 PM

Why is Ben Foster known as nuts? I haven’t heard.

by Anonymousreply 23May 25, 2020 10:12 PM

Well, with Robin Wright's taste in men...

by Anonymousreply 24May 25, 2020 10:20 PM

Also, surprising to see it is such a big hit since it is not really super marketable (at least in the US). Nearly 700K views in only a few days.

by Anonymousreply 25May 25, 2020 10:30 PM

[Quote] Also, surprising to see it is such a big hit since it is not really super marketable (at least in the US).

Are most of the views from the USA?

by Anonymousreply 26May 25, 2020 10:31 PM

Gillian Anderson is a very underrated actress. I saw her Nora in A Doll's House at the Donmar and it was brilliant.

I can't imagine how conflicted she must have been during The X Files years.

by Anonymousreply 27May 25, 2020 10:31 PM

How is she underrated when she played Nora in a A Doll's House at the Donmar? Blance in Streetcar? Miss Havisham in Great Expectations?

by Anonymousreply 28May 25, 2020 10:33 PM

R28 Because she's seen as that one from The X Files rather than a talented actress. If you ask anyone who Gillian Anderson is they're not going to say "O yes she was in that Great Expectations BBC production".

by Anonymousreply 29May 25, 2020 10:37 PM

It depends who you ask. She's made her career in the UK, post X-Files.

by Anonymousreply 30May 25, 2020 10:42 PM

Wait, how long has Foster been a $cientologist? Is that what he had to come to get Laura Prepon?

by Anonymousreply 31May 25, 2020 10:44 PM

*become

by Anonymousreply 32May 25, 2020 10:44 PM

Has she found a nice lady to settle down with yet?

by Anonymousreply 33May 25, 2020 10:59 PM

I honestly could not get through ten minutes of it. I literally turned it off and statutes watching the Vivien Leigh Streetcar.

by Anonymousreply 34May 28, 2020 3:54 PM

*started

by Anonymousreply 35May 28, 2020 4:24 PM

Why has the stream down been disabled?

by Anonymousreply 36May 28, 2020 10:39 PM

It was not.

Here is a link. Today they start This House

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 28, 2020 10:58 PM

I didn’t care for this interpretation. Stella was too timid and Blanche was too brassy and naggy. But that was a stylistic choice, because I thought both actresses gave great performances. I just don’t think Blanche is as effective being so tough. Stanley was great though the lack of Southern accent was odd.

I also got distracted by the IKEA furniture, though I thought the set was pretty inventive.

I saw Scarlett Johansson on Broadway in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof a few years ago, she played Maggie too harsh as well. Must be a modern thing? Williams female leads do better a little more understated.

by Anonymousreply 38May 28, 2020 11:31 PM

R38, was Stanley born and raised in the South? If he moved there as an adult he probably wouldn’t have a Southern accent.

by Anonymousreply 39May 28, 2020 11:34 PM

Good point, R39. I don’t think it is clear in the play.

by Anonymousreply 40May 28, 2020 11:37 PM

I think it is usually assumed that Stanley moved to New Orleans after getting out of the military. From Brando on, few Stanleys have use a southern accent.

by Anonymousreply 41May 28, 2020 11:39 PM

But where is a link to the Streetcar stream, R37?

by Anonymousreply 42May 29, 2020 12:30 AM

That was last weeks show. The change day is Thursday.

Then next Thursday it will change to Tom Hiddleston in Coriolanus.

by Anonymousreply 43May 29, 2020 1:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!