Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

They need to do miniseries about the Beatles, from formation to break-up

Would the biggest problem in doing either be getting the music rights to all the songs?

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 9805/22/2020

The biggest problem would be that they can't tell the real story of the 'The Beatles'. The Beatles were multiples of each 'character'. The Beatles never existed.

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 105/20/2020

I think the biggest problem would be finding four guys that look close enough to the Beatles that it wouldn't consistently pull viewers out of the story.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 205/20/2020

If they can do "The Crown" with actresses who only sort-of look like the Queen and Prince Charles, they can easily do the same with the Beatles.

The obsession with EXACT lookalikes for historical miniseries is a Datalounge thing, but most viewers are far less uptight.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 305/20/2020

r3, lol, finding look-a-likes has never been a problem for the Beatles management or MaccaCo.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 405/20/2020

OP, you're right. It's music rights that will be an issue. Finding actors who resemble the Fab Four is not an issue. They're out there in tribute bands...

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 505/20/2020

How many Pauls were there?

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 605/20/2020

The biggest problem would be finding an audience.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 705/20/2020

r6, I've seen 6 enumerated clearly. George said there were 8 of everybody.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 805/20/2020

So did the original Paul die, R8?

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 905/20/2020

There will never be one as long as Yoko Ono is alive. You think Olivia de Havilland is litigious? Yoko wrote the book on how to protect her version of the John Lennon legacy.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 1005/20/2020

He died and founded a band called Wings.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 1105/20/2020

r9 there was no 'original' Paul. They were multiples from the beginning. Look at photos from '56-'64. They didn't even bother getting guys who were the same height or with the same eye color.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 1205/20/2020

The "original" Paul never would have married that woman that entertained people at parties by removing her leg.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 1305/20/2020

r9 - Look at this

r11, actually, yes, one of the early Pauls who was absent entirely from the Beatlemania Era was the main Wings Paul.

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 1405/20/2020

Who will they cast as Cilla Black?

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 1505/20/2020

The Rutles.

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 1605/20/2020

Are they still using multiples?

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 1705/20/2020

I don't think people want to hear a story about The Beatles that goes into the real nitty gritty. They're demi-gods that can do no wrong (aside marrying Yoko Ono) to the average fan in the demographic that this film would appeal to. Therefore, what more is there to say?

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 1805/20/2020

Yes, there are still multiple Ringos and Pauls. The Ringos are bad matches and it's easy to play Spot The Difference with them. The Pauls are a little more complicated, but the fingers and direction of the hair whorl as well as hair coloring gives them away. One is still wearing that very dark brillo pad like wig, but I've only seen him in private photos of "paul" as opposed to public appearances.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 1905/20/2020

Will they talk about Brian Epstein lusting after John?

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 2005/20/2020

1999 - July 19th : Paul McCartney & Denny & Monique Seiwell A.1

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 2105/20/2020

1999 - July 19th : Paul McCartney & Denny Seiwell B.1

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 2205/20/2020

2009? - Abe Laboriel Jr, Paul McCartney & Denny Seiwell

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 2305/20/2020

2012 - September? : Paul McCartney & Denny Seiwell

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 2405/20/2020

2014 - August 10th - CA : Paul McCartney & Denny Seiwell

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 2505/20/2020

Backbeat was a good start. I'm sure there will be a TV series some day.

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 2605/20/2020

No, they don’t.

The Beatles are the most over-examined group of celebrities in living memory, and they’re so connected with Boomer nostalgia that no one will ever be able to judge them accurately until that generation is dead and buried.

Do something about The Rolling Stones, if you want to revisit that era. Mick Jagger won’t mind any bad press if the royalty checks clear, and Keith Richards would prefer the controversy.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 2705/20/2020

r26, the official story of Sutcliffe's death is total bullshit and Astrid, who died last week, btw, was working for intelligence.

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 2805/20/2020

R28 Thanks, I hadn't read about Kirchher's death.

Many of her b&w photos are at the link below.

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 2905/20/2020

R29, you only have to go a few pictures down to see doubles. The “George” and “John” posted together in ‘62 are not the same “George” and “John” in the first series of fairway photos. Compare the Johns noses.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 3005/20/2020

So which John was shot? Are there surviving Johns and Georges?

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 3105/20/2020

Some of the posters here could qualify for a senate primary run in Oregon.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 3205/20/2020

r31, who knows? I don't think anyone, not involved, has enumerated all of them. And what would be your reference point for one John over another? Presumably, there's still a living George, somewhere.

r32, just look at the fucking pictures. Denialism isn't cute on anybody.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 3305/20/2020

R33, if there were multiple Johns, which one was shot in 1980?

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 3405/20/2020

r24, if you can't tell them apart, how can I explain to you which one was shot? Take a look at the site linked at web dot archive dot org. Ignore the theories. Just look at the photos. Look at the Johns noses, ears, brows.…

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 3505/20/2020

sorry, that was for r34. I'm going to sleep now…

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 3605/20/2020

I'd rather see a miniseries about Fleetwood Mac.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 3705/21/2020

[quote] There will never be one as long as Yoko Ono is alive.

Wait.

You can't libel the dead.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 3805/21/2020

[quote] Wait. You can't libel the dead. —Paul McCartney

Don't tempt me. I haven't yet bought all the apartments in the Dakota.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 3905/21/2020

[quote]just look at the fucking pictures

Says the guy who gets easily fooled by a flipped photo or a slightly awkward shadow.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 4005/21/2020

As soon as Yoko dies, they could do just a John and Yoko miniseries from their meeting to his assassination. They could call it "STOP BEATLES!"

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 4105/21/2020

r40 if you can't tell the difference between the noses on those "Johns", you must be legally fucking blind.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 4205/21/2020

Color me "legally fucking blind." There are only one of each, and you're a cast-iron idiot.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 4305/21/2020

I understand why you wouldn't *want* to believe it. But to claim you can't, honestly, see the difference between these obviously different human beings renders all of your opinions weightless.

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 4405/21/2020

We're "John Lennon":

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 4505/21/2020

We're "John Lennon", too:

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 4605/21/2020

As are we!

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 4705/21/2020

And us!

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 4805/21/2020

One is well-fed and one is ravaged by years of hard drugs and Yoko's insistence on a macrobiotic diet. And you, as everyone from 60IF forward, are obsessed with a conspiracy because you like being in on something the rest of the world doesn't know, because it distracts you from mundane reality. Focus on your own problems in life and leave the Fabs alone, or before long they'll be making space for you at Spahn Ranch with the rest of the Family.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 4905/21/2020

And, us, too!

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 5005/21/2020

r49, unless you believe that John Lennon was some kind of shape-shifting alien life form, there is no way that those are all photos of the same guy, despite all being publicly identified as the same person. Does you nose grow and shrink and grow and shrink like that?

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 5105/21/2020

If the angle, lighting, cropping, and facial expression change like any other person who is photographed multiple times, yes it does, you fuckin' wingnut.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 5205/21/2020

r52 and, yet, none of those things are at issue in these images.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 5305/21/2020

[quote]doing either

Oh, dear.

English, dear. Make your point clearly, please.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 5405/21/2020

I am John Lennon, also.

And some bird.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 5505/21/2020

December 5th, 1980, John Lennon

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 5605/21/2020

Fall, 1980, John Lennon

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 5705/21/2020

Compare these Ringos, if you will...

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 5805/21/2020

Obvious

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 5905/21/2020

Amazing how many posts disappear once you click block. ;)

To get back on topic, I think it's a lovely idea, but the principals involved need to be dead for it to happen. Unless it's some officially sanctioned "same old story," you won't be able to get into any depth or really explore their lives inside and out. Might be easier if it was slightly fictionalized. (Poppy Z. Brite's [italic]Plastic Jesus[/italic] is a good example for some of the DL crowd.)

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 6005/21/2020

Here's a helpfully dated grid of 62-63 Beatles. Pay attention to the Ears, Chins, Noses.

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 6105/21/2020

R10 has the answer.

LOVE IS ALL YOU NEED? No, what you need is Yoko Ono's permission (and to allocate her 30% of any profits)

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 6205/21/2020

Look how tall this 1963 Ringo is:

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 6305/21/2020

I think you had to have been there. They were so unique at the time I can tell you exactly where I was and who I was and what song I heard when they first came out and I was 14. You can't bring out the emotion one had when they first arrived because it was so different from anything we had ever had before. I had one classmate that went to every concert they had in NYC. She would pass out at every one. She had every piece of memorabilia that was ever made. The whole thing was kind of a shock and awe sort of thing. You can watch the footage but never really feel the emotions of it. It was actually quite wonderful.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 6405/21/2020

r27, The Rolling Stones just aren't as popular as the Beatles; they never were.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 6505/21/2020

Indeed, r64. I'll never forget the first time I heard "I Want to Hold Your Hand," the first week of January, 1964. It was unique. There had never before been anything like it. And each of the Beatles' singles and albums seemed to grow progressively more wonderful. It inspired so much other music, people who hear it all new now can't imagine the impact the Beatles music had in the 1960s. Sgt. Pepper's and Abbey Road were my favorites.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 6605/21/2020

Well, they were also groundbreaking in that they wrote and performed all their own music. They didn't need back-up singers or to hire musicians. The four of them did everything themselves.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 6705/21/2020

Missing index finger

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 6805/21/2020

What happened to this one's hand?

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 6905/21/2020

Or this one's hand?

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 7005/21/2020

Weird hands...

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 7105/21/2020

Is that a tentacle?

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 7205/21/2020

Is the "missing" index finger the one that is clearly visible behind his raised middle finger? R68

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 7305/21/2020

r73, his right hand.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 7405/21/2020

Again, right hand:

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 7505/21/2020

His Right Hand has 3 fingers.

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 7605/21/2020

Hmmm....strange hands...

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 7705/21/2020

Strange toes...

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 7805/21/2020

You know who else had 3 fingers on his right hand? This John.

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 7905/21/2020

This John

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 8005/21/2020

Not sure what's going on with this one's hands...

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 8105/21/2020

Or with this one's lopped off index finger...

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 8205/21/2020

Hmmm

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 8305/21/2020

Do your fingers look like this?

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 8405/21/2020

Or like this?

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 8505/21/2020

This?

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 8605/21/2020

This George?

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 8705/21/2020

I would watch that mini series and I'd be interested in seeing how they present the Pete Best story line. Was he just replaced? Was he fired? Did he not get along with Paul and John? I've read two accounts where Pete's dismissal was a misunderstanding / crossed wires that the manager made a hasty decision.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 8805/21/2020

r88, an EMI stooge thought Pete sucked. That’s why he was fired. The guy later publicly apologized for being such a dick to him.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 8905/21/2020

I wish I knew this was going on. I would have had Diane swapped out for another one.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 9005/21/2020

"Pete was a better drummer but Ringo was a better Beatle." - 'John Lennon'

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 9105/22/2020

I saw a documentary where one of the Beatles engineers said they were asking Pete Best to do things on the drums nobody could do. I think Pete Best was fired because he was the most popular and the one that the girls really liked. He was the best looking.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 9205/22/2020

Maybe Pete wasn't entirely sacked, but sometimes trotted out as 3rd cast Ringo

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 9305/22/2020

If you say so, Pete…

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 9405/22/2020

Pete was incredibly popular on stage, the girls loved him, but the engineers didn't think he was very good in the studio and they were going to replace him with a studio musician. The rest of the Beatles decided they wanted a band member who would also be in the studio with them, rather than relying on a series of studio musicians for recordings, so they dismissed Pete.

There's always been a rumor that the band were defending their good friend, manager, and later Apple Corps exec Neil Aspinall, who had been staying at Best's house and knocked up Best's 40-year-old mother. They didn't want the complications from that whole thing to come back to haunt them, so they kicked Best out of the band a couple weeks after the baby was born.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 9505/22/2020

Aspinall wasn't a dead beat dad to Roag. He was relatively involved until his death.

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 9605/22/2020

[quote]Well, they were also groundbreaking in that they wrote and performed all their own music.

Not "all." They had hits with covers of "Twist and Shout" and "Act Naturally," and they did a lot of other covers, especially early in their careers. They even sang a Broadway showtune.

Offsite Link
by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 9705/22/2020

Look at the fake ear on the Paul in r97.

They did tons and tons of covers, most of which were in low keys that Pauls from Wings Era on couldn’t reach.

by Cast Suzy Nakamura as Yoko Ono!reply 9805/22/2020
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!