Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

US Birth Rate Drops to Lowest Level in 35 Years

[QUOTE] Birth rates decreased in almost every group, but the report finds a notable exception: Women in their early 40s are having more babies. It could be that women in their 20s and 30s will have babies; they’re just waiting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77May 22, 2020 5:21 PM

Good. I hope this spreads. The world would benefit from far fewer people.

by Anonymousreply 1May 20, 2020 3:28 PM

This isn't a big surprise. Why, western democracies have seen a rapid decrease in birth rate. Let's face it the economy is pretty much awful and that's no environment to raise a kid in. And when I was younger I knew of at least 3 women in their very early 40's who were pregnant and had kids.

by Anonymousreply 2May 20, 2020 3:30 PM

I don’t think it has anything to do with the economy.

by Anonymousreply 3May 20, 2020 3:33 PM

Trump is even repelling fertility.

by Anonymousreply 4May 20, 2020 3:34 PM

Why do you not think it has anything to do with the economy, R3?

In a way, I think that the economy has influenced this downward trend as women now have more economic freedom to not only decide to not have kids but to not marry, either. Good for them. Having a kid means piling on more work for yourself. Glad more people are seeing it for the trap it is.

by Anonymousreply 5May 20, 2020 3:41 PM

R3 - correct, particularly when the stats are for 2019. However, it is a generational economic issue - when you have people in their 20's and 30's saddled with student debt, high costs of rent and living, and wages that haven't kept up with these rises - you get a generation of people who are on the edge.

This is not good news - it's symptomatic of an economy that is not working for most people.

by Anonymousreply 6May 20, 2020 3:41 PM

Yet freepers insist women are pumping out tons of kids for welfare checks. They're not.

by Anonymousreply 7May 20, 2020 3:43 PM

Well that means people are being sensible by postponing children or deciding to not have any at all because of the flimsy economy. And so many children are waiting to be adopted.

by Anonymousreply 8May 20, 2020 3:46 PM

The Evangelicals,Hasidism & Muslims are the only ones having multiple crotchfruit here in America.

This doesn't bode well.

by Anonymousreply 9May 20, 2020 3:47 PM

[quote]Birth rates decreased in [bold]almost[/bold] every group,

R73 Another poster deliberately missing the qualifier. The group where it didn't decrease are the women pumping out babies for welfare checks.

by Anonymousreply 10May 20, 2020 3:48 PM

^^^ R7 ^^^^

by Anonymousreply 11May 20, 2020 3:49 PM

My first example from my R9 post.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 20, 2020 3:51 PM

It's understandable. Life is expensive and kids cost more than ever. They need all kinds of shit for school - iPads! Laptops! - and God forbid one of them becomes sick and you don't have free childcare labor from grandparents to call on.

by Anonymousreply 13May 20, 2020 3:53 PM

My second example from my R9 post.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 20, 2020 3:57 PM

R9 R12 proudly illustrates the ignorance and stupidity of the bigoted.

by Anonymousreply 15May 20, 2020 3:57 PM

Did they mean 'white' birthrate?

by Anonymousreply 16May 20, 2020 3:59 PM

No, all races are included, R16.

by Anonymousreply 17May 20, 2020 4:03 PM

[quote] Yet freepers insist women are pumping out tons of kids for welfare checks. They're not.

Isn't the freepers that are pumping out tons of kids and collecting food stamps and welfare?

by Anonymousreply 18May 20, 2020 4:04 PM

Hmmm...rise in Asperger's and autism? People waiting to have children into their 40s?

Not to mention older fathers also increase risks

[quote]Data from more than 40 million births showed that babies born to fathers of an “advanced paternal age,” which roughly equates to older than 35, were at a higher risk for adverse birth outcomes, such as low birth weight, seizures and need for ventilation immediately after birth. Generally speaking, the older a father’s age, the greater the risk. For example, men who were 45 or older were 14 percent more likely to have a child born prematurely, and men 50 or older were 28 percent more likely to have a child that required admission to the neonatal intensive care unit.

by Anonymousreply 19May 20, 2020 4:09 PM

Apparently the evangelicals are as barren as secularists. So I guess my R9 post needs to be amended. It's the Orthodox Jews and Muslims who have higher fertility rates than most groups.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 20, 2020 4:10 PM

So the Hasids and *some* Muslim populations are lacking in genetic diversity (they’re inbred), but they’re considered more fertile?

by Anonymousreply 21May 20, 2020 5:00 PM

R10, that's not true.

by Anonymousreply 22May 20, 2020 5:01 PM

Good. Less people for the planet to support.

by Anonymousreply 23May 20, 2020 5:10 PM

Upper middle-class whites don't have kids until late 30s/40ish these days. My 40 year-old cousin just became a father for the first time, I know scores of other people in their 40s who only became first-time parents in the last few years.

by Anonymousreply 24May 20, 2020 5:13 PM

The cost of raising children is ridiculously expensive these days. There's so much fucking STUFF you have to buy.

by Anonymousreply 25May 20, 2020 5:15 PM

With the rise of automation, it’s essential that the birthrate drop.

by Anonymousreply 26May 20, 2020 5:19 PM

Absolutely r26. Lots of people still don't understand this. We also need to stop importing unskilled people. It's going to be a total shitshow in the not-too-distant future.

by Anonymousreply 27May 20, 2020 5:28 PM

What constitutes an unskilled person, R27?

by Anonymousreply 28May 20, 2020 5:38 PM

Oh here with go with white knighting, virtue signaling r28. Zzzzzzz.

by Anonymousreply 29May 20, 2020 6:06 PM

I was genuinely curious what the term meant, R29.

by Anonymousreply 30May 20, 2020 6:08 PM

People who have no skills, r30. Dead weight. People who have little skills that will be replaced by automation. We already have American citizens who fit this category, and it's going to be a nightmare as their numbers increase, we can't afford to take in others from the rest of the world. This is going to be a major, if not THE major issue as the 21st century goes on.

by Anonymousreply 31May 20, 2020 6:10 PM

And these women who have to have their own children past their peak childbearing years...what resources are they using to achieve their goals? Why do some women use donor eggs and go through pregnancy? Does the egg pick up her DNA?

by Anonymousreply 32May 20, 2020 6:22 PM

Not all women have trouble conceiving past their late 30s. A fair number get pregnant the old-fashioned way into their mid-40s.

by Anonymousreply 33May 20, 2020 6:28 PM

I agree with R26 and R31.

by Anonymousreply 34May 20, 2020 8:48 PM

Fewer!

by Anonymousreply 35May 20, 2020 8:48 PM

R32. I have been wondering about that for years. Pure selfishness.

by Anonymousreply 36May 20, 2020 10:04 PM

The fertility industry is loaded with diaper carrying vultures.

by Anonymousreply 37May 20, 2020 10:43 PM

People can't afford to have children.

by Anonymousreply 38May 20, 2020 10:48 PM

This thread is triggering.

by Anonymousreply 39May 20, 2020 10:55 PM

Dear Lord in Heaven!

by Anonymousreply 40May 20, 2020 10:59 PM

I honestly don't know how middle-class people can afford to have kids these days without going broke.

by Anonymousreply 41May 20, 2020 11:57 PM

And yet Americans are anti-immigrant.

Who’s going to do all the work?

by Anonymousreply 42May 21, 2020 2:28 AM

All the guys are going gay!

by Anonymousreply 43May 21, 2020 2:30 AM

Automation is going to replace humans r42. It's already happening.

by Anonymousreply 44May 21, 2020 2:30 AM

Trump makes every guy's dick limp, and people are so full of despair listening to his nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 45May 21, 2020 2:32 AM

R44, Robots don’t pay taxes to pay for your Medicare and social security

by Anonymousreply 46May 21, 2020 2:38 AM

The rich will pay for that, R46.

by Anonymousreply 47May 21, 2020 12:10 PM

Babies are fucking disgusting. They leak noxious fluids from every orifice, they have ear piercing relentless screaming and they can’t even carry on a conversation. Like who would really want that in their house? If they made mute ones that could be litter box trained more people would probably be into it, but puppies & kittens still have the edge because 1) they’re furry & soft; 2) they either hunt or protect & perform tricks; & 3) they don’t live all that long so if it getting on was a mistake it’s not a total death sentence & it’s also legal to just give them away if you’re not a personality match. In contrast, babies can’t do a single thing except shit & sob and you can’t just take them to the pound if they turn out to be biters or republicans or drug addicts.

by Anonymousreply 48May 21, 2020 12:39 PM

I wonder how many people saying 'this is a good thing because the earth can handle more people' are the same people in threads about surrogacy saying 'it's alright and better than adopting'.

by Anonymousreply 49May 21, 2020 12:59 PM

It’s a right wing lie that the planet is over-populated. The problem is population disbursement, wealth inequality and industry pollution. We have more than enough space on earth for for the people we already have and billions more. What we do not have is equitable sharing of resources. This fiction that we need population reduction to survive is really only about oligarchs surviving with the lion’s share of the world’s assets and the subjugation of the masses. If babies weren’t so disgusting, I would be saying everyone who can should be making a dozen of them apiece to help over power the aims of the neo-feudalists.

by Anonymousreply 50May 21, 2020 1:21 PM

R43 It's either that or the straight men are waking up to the misery that they'll end up with if they impregnate someone and go MGTOW.

by Anonymousreply 51May 21, 2020 1:28 PM

I predict the birth rate will pick up again in December / January / February, approximately nine months after the lockdowns were imposed. Instead of Baby Boomers or Generations X and Y, they'll be the Corona Kids.

by Anonymousreply 52May 21, 2020 1:33 PM

It's too late. This country will have permanent poverty and permanent surplus labor like India soon.

by Anonymousreply 53May 21, 2020 1:35 PM

As I've mentioned many times, I work in retail management. I see way more of the public than I'd like to. Average pregnant woman is around 28 yrs old. IVF is 15k a pop, and it can take many attempts to get pregnant, if ever. Only the very wealthy wait that long to have kids. Don't be deceived.

by Anonymousreply 54May 21, 2020 2:52 PM

No, it's not the very wealthy. Middle/upper-middle class people are having kids later in life.

by Anonymousreply 55May 21, 2020 2:54 PM

[quote] they'll be the Corona Kids.

Children of the Quorn.

by Anonymousreply 56May 21, 2020 2:57 PM

Having children in your 40's causes generational discontinuity. Millions of children will never have a close relationship with grandparents like we did. Granny will be in a nursing home once a child is old enough to walk. Extremely sad direction society is taking.

by Anonymousreply 57May 21, 2020 2:58 PM

[quote] Robots don’t pay taxes to pay for your Medicare and social security

Robut.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58May 21, 2020 3:01 PM

I live in a fairly blue collar suburb in California. Lots of stay at home moms with 3 and 4 kids. I have no idea how they afford it. Even if blue collar hubby makes $200k, that really isn’t enough to support a family of 6 when a 2000 sq foot house is $850k.

by Anonymousreply 59May 21, 2020 3:05 PM

[quote]It’s a right wing lie that the planet is over-populated.

Opposite, r50. It's a right-wing lie that the planet is NOT overpopulated. It's a right-wing lie that there IS “plenty of room” for more people. (Like, where, in the desert, or in the empty flyover places?)

Law of supply and demand. The fewer workers there are, the more power the working class has.

We already have WAY more than enough impoverished in order to “help overpower the neofeudalists”, in your words. And anyway, a superior body count is not how power transfer works, in the modern age.

What, are you imagining that a new army of the impoverished, oppressed, uneducated, and unskilled can gather with pitchforks or handguns and storm the well-defended fortresses of the uber class, the .01%? Dream on.

In fact, a decreased birth rate is great news for the planet, and for the power imbalance between haves and have nots.

by Anonymousreply 60May 21, 2020 3:18 PM

I used to feel bad.about being gay because I thought that at the time I would be unable to be a parent...what was I thinking? And now that gay marriage and parenting is a thing, I have lost several friends to their married life and need to breed. Their choice, but they are so smug about it all. The environment, the rise of right wing populism, overpopulation and increasing crime. The best thing that I did for my children was to not have any...they would be grateful.

I know that I am.

by Anonymousreply 61May 21, 2020 3:40 PM

R33 - no, they do not. That's bullshit. Few women get pregnant easily in their 40's.

by Anonymousreply 62May 21, 2020 3:49 PM

"It's either that or the straight men are waking up to the misery that they'll end up with if they impregnate someone and go MGTOW."

Oh, look, the MRA types have arrived. Most straight men would do anything to get sex from a woman

by Anonymousreply 63May 21, 2020 6:01 PM

R56, I thought my "CORONA KIDS" was catchy for the forthcoming generation, but I admit your terminology is even better. "CHILDREN OF THE QUORN" they will be.

by Anonymousreply 64May 21, 2020 6:04 PM

People keep waiting longer and longer to marry and have kids. Naturally, some of those women who waited will have difficulty conceiving. It's much harder to have a large family if you wait until your late 30's and early 40's. I'm an only child and when I was a kid twenty years ago, I knew very few kids like me. Now, it's much more common.

by Anonymousreply 65May 21, 2020 6:19 PM

I was born in 1971 and didn’t know any families with more than 2 kids growing up. I’m shocked at the number of families with 3 and 4 kids these days. How do they afford it? Women just threw in the towel on being anything other than sweatpants- clad fat Frauen?

by Anonymousreply 66May 21, 2020 9:06 PM

Same, r66. I was born in '76 and when I was growing up in the 80s most people only had two kids, a few had three but it wasn't all that common. Everybody's parents had their kids in their 20s/early 30s. I can only remember a small handful of kids who had older parents. This was a white, middle class/upper middle class area. These days, the only white people in their 20s who have kids seem to be lower-class types.

by Anonymousreply 67May 21, 2020 9:25 PM

r66, women are having fewer kids. Your anecdotal observations are incorrect.

by Anonymousreply 68May 21, 2020 9:41 PM

Would you want to have a kid these days? How could you afford to give it a good life? What kind of planet will it inherit? Will there even be one? I am grateful I am gay and when I was young enough to have kids society wouldn't allow it. I'd be terribly sad to have children today.

by Anonymousreply 69May 22, 2020 4:05 AM

I’m 56 and my father was one of 10 children and my mother was one of five children.

It was a conscious decision on their part to only have two children.

Although I would’ve been quite happy to have been an only child.

by Anonymousreply 70May 22, 2020 4:33 AM

One of my great-grandfathers was one of SIXTEEN children, if you can even imagine!

by Anonymousreply 71May 22, 2020 4:39 AM

Stop with the unskilled bullshit R27, even the unskilled immigrants find work and learn skills. Then their children do even better. There are plenty of American born white kids who never learn skills. I know of several families who have loser 20-somethings who play video games constantly and are underemployed and make little money.

A relative works for law enforcement. Most of the crimes are committed by whites where I live. Druggies, drunks, mentally ill, unemployed, homeless, and unable to recover from whatever ails them. The undocumented commit fewer crimes because they are staying under the radar and working hard at those unskilled jobs that white kids won't do.

by Anonymousreply 72May 22, 2020 5:07 AM

And those jobs are going to be replaced by automation, r72. Think in terms of the big picture. Again, we have way too many American citizens who are going to be made irrelevant due to automation, we can't add to those ranks.

by Anonymousreply 73May 22, 2020 5:17 AM

Why can't we, R72? Immigrants become Americans in one or two generations. I know a man whose grandparents were illegals, parents got high school education, he got a BA and led a gov't agency, his kids have Masters Degrees.

If people are made irrelevant due to automation they aren't trying hard enough.

by Anonymousreply 74May 22, 2020 5:30 AM

R59 How old are those women? I hope they aren't young. Last thing we need is more young women becoming fraus.

by Anonymousreply 75May 22, 2020 6:02 AM

"If people are made irrelevant due to automation they aren't trying hard enough."

Yes, because all that's stopping a janitor with an 82 IQ from being rich is inability to work hard! *rolls eyes*

by Anonymousreply 76May 22, 2020 5:16 PM

oh, this is interesting. im skeptical, however................................

by Anonymousreply 77May 22, 2020 5:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!