Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Horace Grant lays into 'snitch' Michael Jordan over 'so-called' documentary: 'Let's settle this like men'

“The Last Dance” was largely well-received as an entertaining, welcome trip down sports memory lane at a much-needed time.

But it had its fair share of critics pointing to Michael Jordan’s heavy hand in shaping how he was portrayed — that it wasn’t a shining beacon of balanced documentary filmmaking.

Count Horace Grant in the latter camp. Jordan’s teammate on three NBA championships lit into him in a radio interview Tuesday, calling him a “snitch,” accusing him of lying and challenging him to “settle this like men.”

Grant’s primary point of contention appears to be Jordan blaming him for leaking locker-room information to author Sam Smith for his 1992 exposé “The Jordan Rules.”

But his beef doesn’t stop there. Grant took issue with the documentary’s portrayal of Scottie Pippen, Jordan’s treatment of him personally and his bullying of teammates. He laid it all out in an interview with Kap and Co. on ESPN 1000 in Chicago.

‘We can settle it another way’

"Lie, lie, lie,” Grant said, per an ESPN transcript. “If MJ had a grudge with me, let’s settle this like men. Let’s talk about it. Or we can settle it another way. But yet and still, he goes out and puts this lie out that I was the source behind [the book].

“Sam and I have always been great friends. We’re still great friends. But the sanctity of that locker room, I would never put anything personal out there.”

Grant continued that Jordan used “The Last Dance” to air out grievances while questioning the fairness of the “so-called documentary.”

“It’s only a grudge, man,” Grant said. “I’m telling you, it was only a grudge. And I think he proved that during this so-called documentary. When if you say something about him, he’s going to cut you off, he’s going to try to destroy your character.”

Grant said Jordan was the real “snitch,” chastising him for his statements early in the documentary pointing to cocaine use among Bulls players when he was a rookie.

Horace Grant sounds ready to fight Michael Jordan. (Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE via Getty Images)‘That’s a damn snitch right here’

“And my point is, he said that I was the snitch, but yet and still after 35 years he brings up his rookie year going into one of his teammate’s rooms and seeing coke and weed and women,” Grant said.

“My point is: Why the hell did he want to bring that up? What’s that got to do with anything? I mean, if you want to call somebody a snitch, that’s a damn snitch right there.”

Grant also took issue with how “The Last Dance” portrayed Pippen. The documentary went heavy into examining Pippen’s contract conflict with the Bulls in 1997, with Jordan calling Pippen “selfish” for his negotiation tactics that saw him delay a medical procedure.

The documentary also featured Pippen’s refusal to enter the final seconds of a playoff game against the New York Knicks when Phil Jackson drew up a shot for Toni Kukoc instead of him. That incident happened while Jordan was playing baseball. Grant said that the players who were on the team at the time made peace with Pippen and questioned why Jordan even brought it up.

“MJ wasn’t even on the team,” Grant said. “Why was that in there? ... We go on to take the Knicks to seven games. It was over. Why bring that up? That’s my question to everybody out there who’s listening.”

Grant also criticized Jordan’s treatment of teammates. He said he never backed down to Jordan’s tactics but believes that Jordan’s behavior in the locker room and on the practice court was out of line. Jordan’s repeated berating of Scott Burrell was featured heavily in “The Last Dance.”

“He felt that he could dominate me, but that was sadly mistaken,” Grant said. “Because whenever he went at me, I went at him right back. But in terms of Will Perdue, Steve Kerr and the young man, Scott Burrell, that was heartbreaking.”

Jordan and Grant may have shared one of the greatest runs in sports history together. But Grant clearly left with some scars that were reopened by watching “The Last Dance” along with the rest of us.

And 27 years after last playing with Jordan, Grant sounds ready to fight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 26, 2020 4:13 PM

I’ve heard some fuss about this doc. Can anyone translate it for some of us none sporty types? Is it related to what Grant is complaining about in OP’s article?

by Anonymousreply 1May 20, 2020 3:03 PM

My husband and his sister watched it (they like sports, I don’t). From what I overheard, it was not... balanced. It seemed like unadulterated worship.

by Anonymousreply 2May 20, 2020 3:57 PM

^^ In all fairness, I didn’t watch the whole thing. But what I saw was ass-licking.

by Anonymousreply 3May 20, 2020 4:00 PM

I'm watching he documentary now...

What is wrong with MJ? His eyes are sooooo RED!

by Anonymousreply 4May 24, 2020 12:46 AM

black folks hate snitches

by Anonymousreply 5May 24, 2020 1:22 AM

MJ is not healthy. his eyes are red and even yellowish...

by Anonymousreply 6May 24, 2020 1:29 AM

Even though the viewer is always aware that Jordan is in control of the documentary, it doesn’t sugercoat him. That would be impossible. There he is, arguably the greatest basketball player of all time and phenomenally wealthy, and yet he’s a bitter, angry man. There’s no amount of editing that can conceal that. It’s a film which essentially has a villain at its center, and is all the better for it.

by Anonymousreply 7May 24, 2020 1:58 AM

MJ came across angry and bitter, but I wouldn't call him a villain - maybe a VERY complicated antihero. He was just a competitive dude who wanted to win and took it way too far some times. But when he was wrong he owned up to it and made peace with the people he wronged, like Steve Kerr for example. MJ was and maybe still is an asshole, but the film did a good job humanizing him and explaining why he did the things he did. He never seemed to come from a malicious place, just a relentlessly competitive one. I actually found Mike quite sympathetic and understandable. I wouldn't want to be on a team with him, but I bet all those guys who won multiple championships with him are glad they were along for the ride.

by Anonymousreply 8May 24, 2020 3:44 AM

He's an asshole and a cheap fuck who doesn't too like many of the NBA stars.

You make one small mistake and he cuts you off forever like Charles Barkley...I wonder what happened.

by Anonymousreply 9May 24, 2020 3:48 AM

I don’t understand the worship over his clothes or shoes. Plain IMO.

by Anonymousreply 10May 24, 2020 3:54 AM

Charles Barkley called him the cheapest man on earth. MJ and Scottie (no tippin) Pippin are loathed by waiters and dealers.

by Anonymousreply 11May 24, 2020 3:59 AM

Hmm Horace Grant doesn't like MJ, lends credence to MJ thinking Horace went and blabbed to a reporter.

by Anonymousreply 12May 24, 2020 4:00 AM

R1 espn has no sports to air..

by Anonymousreply 13May 24, 2020 4:02 AM

The police do not like snitches either if it occurs among them. The blue wall of silence anyone?

by Anonymousreply 14May 24, 2020 11:36 AM

I just finished episode 10. MJ got fat! And he's definitely NOT healthy, liver problems.

Reggie Miller still looks the same!!!

by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2020 2:39 AM

I’m still trying to binge the series. Riveting

by Anonymousreply 16May 25, 2020 2:43 AM

R14, ha!

by Anonymousreply 17May 25, 2020 2:49 AM

Michael Jordan criticized again in ‘The Last Dance’ aftermath

“The Last Dance” is over, but critiques of its main character are not.

Former NBA player and ESPN analyst Kendrick Perkins became one of the latest to speak out on how the ESPN documentary shed light on Michael Jordan bullying his teammates, who were often left being negatively portrayed at his expense.

“When you look at ‘The Last Dance,’ the whole documentary, it made Michael Jordan look like a superhero, and it made everybody else look like a villain,” Perkins said last week on ESPN’s “The Jump.”

“Michael Jordan broke every player code imaginable… Some of the things he was saying with Scott Burrell, saying that he was in the club every night,” said Perkins, who did not play with Jordan during his career. “Talking about what Horace Grant said about guys doing drugs, everyone except for him (Jordan). And then, ‘The Last Dance’ hurt Scottie Pippen. People today are looking at Scottie Pippen like a selfish individual.

“At the end of the day, ‘The Last Dance’ was to praise Mike — which it should have been — but you didn’t have to tear down other people to praise your greatness, because your greatness alone speaks volumes for itself.”

Pippen was reportedly “livid” with how he was depicted in the 10-part docu-series, which highlighted how he delayed his ankle surgery ahead of the 1997-98 season because of a contract dispute and refused to enter the final play of Game 3 against the Knicks in the 1994 playoffs due to the shot not going to him.

Grant has also slammed Jordan, calling him a “snitch” for talking about his teammates getting caught up with cocaine, weed and women when he was a rookie. Burrell, meanwhile, took a verbal beating from Jordan in old clips throughout the documentary, though he has since come out and praised Jordan as a teammate.

“There’s certain things, as a player, that you’re supposed to take to your grave with you,” said Perkins, who won a championship with the Celtics. “I don’t care if it was 50 years down the line. … When you go to the arena or you go to the practice facility, to a lot of athletes, that’s your sanctuary. You’re able to go and talk about different personal problems and that’s not supposed to go nowhere.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 25, 2020 8:45 PM

R15, I’ve heard that he has a serious drinking problem, so, yes, it could be his liver.

by Anonymousreply 19May 26, 2020 1:27 AM

Yes, look closely at his eyes, they are either very red or when they aren't red, they are yellow...sign of liver problems.

by Anonymousreply 20May 26, 2020 1:44 AM

Wow, I forgot about Horace Grant completely and utterly, and I was a big Bulls fan back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 21May 26, 2020 1:52 AM

Horace still looks great. Anybody who read "Jordan Rules" knew Jordan was a prick to his teammates. In the docu-series it was Scotty Burrell. In the book it was Brad Sellers and Stacey King. He seemed to be relentless towards college all-stars who were just another guy in the NBA. I thought this when I read the book years ago. The guy with the most character out of everybody was and still is Bill Cartwright. And Maybe John Paxson.

by Anonymousreply 22May 26, 2020 2:02 AM

What about Steve Kerr? I always heard he was a good guy. B.J. Armstrong seemed OK. But definitely, yeah, John Paxson had a lot of character.

by Anonymousreply 23May 26, 2020 2:16 AM

Scottie got new fake teeth, Steve Kerr has aged well, Reggie Miller hasn't aged a day.

Malone the mailman refused to be interviewed for the series. It was good to see him shake all their hands after losing.

Rodman and his gf Carmen had sex all over the practice facility.

I hope Steve Kerr writes an auto bio one day, would be an interesting read. I know he spent time in Egypt as a child and admires Mo Salah (soccer player), supports Liverpool football club.

by Anonymousreply 24May 26, 2020 3:14 AM

This film was such a blast from the past. BJ Armstrong, Paxson, Cartwright, Will Perdue: I haven't thought about those guys in thirty years. They've aged pretty well for the most part. I miss 90s basketball.

by Anonymousreply 25May 26, 2020 3:37 AM

I still don’t get the fuss. Seems so high school and petty.

by Anonymousreply 26May 26, 2020 3:50 AM

Micheal Jordan spilled the truth about what goes on in the NBA, of course those players aren't happy. Those players should feel free to speak their truth about Michael if they have anything. IDK how Perkins is involved he wasn't even there.

by Anonymousreply 27May 26, 2020 4:06 AM

^So what’s “the truth about what goes on in the NBA”?

by Anonymousreply 28May 26, 2020 4:10 AM

A lot of lawyers, guns, and money.

by Anonymousreply 29May 26, 2020 8:35 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 26, 2020 3:07 PM

Michael Jordan on tape: I didn’t want Isiah Thomas on Dream Team

A portion of ESPN’s 10-part documentary series “The Last Dance” explored the prolonged tension between Michael Jordan and Isiah Thomas, digging into the infamous walk-off game and Thomas curiously being left off the 1992 Olympic Dream Team.

Over the years, Jordan denied having any involvement in Thomas not making the Dream Team, the first American Olympic team to feature active NBA players.

But sportswriter Jack McCallum revealed a past interview with Jordan on his podcast “The Dream Team Tapes” that tells a much different story.

“[Selection committee member] Rod Thorn called me. I said, ‘Rod, I won’t play if Isiah Thomas is on the team,’” Jordan can be heard saying in a past interview. “He assured me. He said, ‘You know what? Chuck (Daly) doesn’t want Isiah. So, Isiah is not going to be part of the team.’”

In the documentary, which concluded on May 17, Jordan expressed how disrespected he felt when the Detroit Pistons left the floor in the 1991 playoffs without shaking the Bulls’ hands. When producers asked Thomas about it in the doc, he said he thought “all of us would make a different decision” if given a do-over.

Thorn recently denied that Jordan had anything to do with the decision to leave Thomas off the team.

But the disrespect evidently stayed with Jordan. Thomas was a worthy choice for the Dream Team, which ended up featuring legendary players like Patrick Ewing, Larry Bird, Charles Barkley, Magic Johnson and Jordan.

McCallum pointed out that some could argue that Jazz star John Stockton was just as good as Thomas, but that it wasn’t the most legitimate argument. All signs pointed to Jordan’s personal feelings as the reason why Thomas was omitted from the team.

“Please, in the year of our Lord 1991, there was no one who was going to pick Isiah Thomas over Michael Jordan. It’s that simple,” McCallum said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 26, 2020 4:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!