Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends, take a look at this Houston midcentury marvel

Your feedback is appreciated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82May 24, 2020 12:34 AM

Not my personal style but it seems meticulously restored. and seems like a great space.. leading to the question of why it is only $700K.

I imagine the renovations were quite costly.

Is it in a bad area?

by Anonymousreply 1May 20, 2020 2:35 PM

It reminded me of the "Brady Bunch" set before noticing the comment under one of the pictures.

[quote]Reminiscent of the famous "Brady Bunch" staircase, this was original to the home. Some of the wrought iron had to be perfectly re-created because of previous damage.

by Anonymousreply 2May 20, 2020 2:35 PM

A lot of talk about how they restored the place, but it often sounds like they took what original features had been left and changed them rather than restoring them. Using the original top of the bar but putting it on legs on top of a new kitchen island? And once you look down into the living room and see the flagstone hearth they added, you can tell it doesn't match at all.

They also took out all the best midcentury touches, like the indoor fountain and the two or three steps up or down into a room.

A vast majority of these rooms boast "original brick walls!" and nothing else. Such a shame the previous owners destroyed so much of it, but this restoration falls short, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 3May 20, 2020 2:37 PM

It's beautifully done - personally, I don't like a lot of 3D white brick walls. No art can be hung on them and it's not a visually appealing detail.

The problem I have with these mid-century remodels is that you feel pressured to exclusively furnish the place in mid-century furniture and objects, which can be expensive and not necessarily really practical. Even so, there will always be some asshole who will point out what you got wrong.

Many purists will dismiss this place because they really just gutted the kitchen and bathrooms with modern looks and not really mid-century.

by Anonymousreply 4May 20, 2020 2:45 PM

The railing over the creek must go. The house was never a true gem. There are so many better examples out there in almost any major city.

by Anonymousreply 5May 20, 2020 2:49 PM

[quote] Many purists will dismiss this place because they really just gutted the kitchen and bathrooms with modern looks and not really mid-century.

Yup. They should be put to a firing squad.

by Anonymousreply 6May 20, 2020 2:52 PM

Houston!!!!? Houston!!!????

by Anonymousreply 7May 20, 2020 2:53 PM

The balcony makes no sense at all - There is no view. It’s a Lutheran-style gymnasium living room.

Look at how inward looking everything became. Bomb shelter chic.

by Anonymousreply 8May 20, 2020 2:56 PM

I like it. The area is located fairly central to getting around and near lots of sopping g and dining. Walnut Bend is an older, respectable neighborhood

Pay attention R7. There have been numerous discussions of Houston lately.

by Anonymousreply 9May 20, 2020 2:59 PM

They bought it for $280K in June 2018. The homes in that area are nowhere near those prices.

Greedy flippers - 150% sale increase? I don't think so - particularly when it was NOT renovated to full mid-century features.

Most other houses in that area are 350-400K. Nobody is going to pay a $300K bonus for that.

Now I'm just pissed off.

by Anonymousreply 10May 20, 2020 3:01 PM

It's a whole lot of yes but without a pool, a lot of no too.

by Anonymousreply 11May 20, 2020 3:11 PM

The outside of the house is boring. Some of those mid-century moderns back up to bayous with beautiful trees.

When I was kid my parents had friends who lived in a house very similar on the bayou and every night the raccoons came up to the glass and watched the humans inside. Their little paws and noses right up on the wall of glass were so funny.

by Anonymousreply 12May 20, 2020 3:17 PM

R12 - sounds like a mosquito and bug-infested nightmare. I would never want to live on a bayou - or any water other than maybe a small stream in the backyard.

Particularly in the South.

by Anonymousreply 13May 20, 2020 3:23 PM

I think it's very appealing, and I'm not an MCM fan. The thing that bothers me the most is that the kitchen and dining area have no natural light source.

by Anonymousreply 14May 20, 2020 4:13 PM

How many little psychos pretended they were snipers on that balcony.

This is “the hours” mixed with some “Pulp Fiction” with some Peter Straub musings thrown in for good measure.

by Anonymousreply 15May 20, 2020 5:25 PM

Purely from the outside, it looks like a church....very unappealing.

by Anonymousreply 16May 20, 2020 5:43 PM

I like it, not crazy about Houston though.

by Anonymousreply 17May 20, 2020 5:52 PM

I like what survived. The marble floors in the bathroom are the worst of the changes.

by Anonymousreply 18May 20, 2020 6:00 PM

I think the Realtor posted the listing on here to get feedback on the price. I would say this house is nice, but not 700k nice. Although it is MCM ish, It's not an authentic reproduction of the genre one would see say in Palm Springs, Phoenix or LA. No pool is a no go for hot and humid as hell Texas. I think they are trying to lure some unsuspecting transplants from San Francisco who may have substantial means due to the capital gain on the sale of their property. I think 500k would be a good listing price given the current market and niche appeal of the style.

by Anonymousreply 19May 20, 2020 7:06 PM

DiscoEldergayat60 may be one of my favorite DL handles.

by Anonymousreply 20May 20, 2020 11:51 PM

I really like the house. It seems pricey . I was under the impression that Houston was more affordable.

by Anonymousreply 21May 21, 2020 1:14 AM

I love this house. Don’t like the black railing things on the stairs and balcony, but otherwise, I love it.

I will also admit I am a complete and total sucker for MCM.

by Anonymousreply 22May 21, 2020 1:24 AM

From the photos, it looks in great shape. Definite Brady Bunch feel.

by Anonymousreply 23May 21, 2020 1:32 AM

Don't like it at all - seems a big mess.

by Anonymousreply 24May 21, 2020 1:39 AM

Exquisite.

by Anonymousreply 25May 21, 2020 1:42 AM

A house in Houston will need central AC - and this place does not. Pass.

by Anonymousreply 26May 21, 2020 1:45 AM

I thought that the house got a new HVAC system during the remodel.

by Anonymousreply 27May 21, 2020 1:56 AM

I like the house a lot. But the white framed widows kind of ruin it. And the doors, inside and out are a horror for this house. The cheap lighting is obvious, but easily fixed. And no pool, like said above, is a tragedy. Otherwise, I love it!

by Anonymousreply 28May 21, 2020 2:14 AM

I like it, but am not gobsmacked by it. The one thing I really hate is that tacky bridge over the water. That pool looks very misplaced and I would rip it and the bridge out.

by Anonymousreply 29May 21, 2020 2:24 AM

I didn't realize my life was lacking a foot bridge.

What is the kitchen faucet thingy?

by Anonymousreply 30May 21, 2020 2:30 AM

Well, when you're from Houston you have to do something.

by Anonymousreply 31May 21, 2020 2:48 AM

R27 I thought i spied an in-wall AC unit in one of the upstairs rooms

by Anonymousreply 32May 21, 2020 2:57 AM

"[R12] - sounds like a mosquito and bug-infested nightmare. I would never want to live on a bayou - or any water other than maybe a small stream in the backyard."

Well Darling, Nobody really gives a rat's ass what you consider to be a nightmare. I would imagine any outdoor excursion with you that did not incude beverage service and indoor plumbing would be a bit of a Gehenna for the rest of the group.

by Anonymousreply 33May 21, 2020 3:13 AM

It's a story of a lovely lady... Does the backyard have AstroTurf?

by Anonymousreply 34May 21, 2020 3:14 AM

It’s in a zip code that was HEAVILY flooded in Hurricane Harvey. Otherwise, the price would be higher.

by Anonymousreply 35May 21, 2020 4:30 AM

The house is 20-25 miles inland, west of the nearest large body of water (Trinity Bay/Galveston Bay).

by Anonymousreply 36May 21, 2020 10:24 AM

That's because they didn't match the original very well, R29. From what I could tell in the magazine photos, it used to look a lot more aesthetically pleasing, probably because of the tree and what looks to have been some sidewalk right next to it to balance it out. The remodel has a 90-degree concrete sidewalk that looks clunky and the pond is just a weird water-filled eggplant in the middle of nothing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 21, 2020 10:56 AM

I like a brick focus wall in a house, but this is just overkill. I would have to have a lot of that brick covered in some way. The brick inside the closets would be immediately covered with cedar paneling. The brick wall in the dining area would be covered with something with more elegance, possibly marble. And dear God that chandelier in the dining room! Did they buy that trash from a circus? And the brick walls in the bedrooms would be covered with more the the beautiful black walnut paneling.

by Anonymousreply 38May 21, 2020 11:03 AM

I hope they did something about that run down driveway since this Google Map photo was taken.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 21, 2020 11:08 AM

Nope. It's strangely configured. Hard to furnish and decorate. Fish Pond, good lord.

NOPE

by Anonymousreply 40May 21, 2020 11:11 AM

It looks like a Huf Haus from the 1960's, they should have torn it down and replaced it with one of the more modern designs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 21, 2020 12:10 PM

There is a lot of dead space and more awkward space in this dump.

by Anonymousreply 42May 21, 2020 1:06 PM

It's beautiful but imagine the water feature is due to natural swampiness and I'd be looking for signs of flood damage.

by Anonymousreply 43May 21, 2020 1:26 PM

No one in Houston should want to have a mosquito breeding ground next to their house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 21, 2020 1:31 PM

Hi Robert Griffith!

by Anonymousreply 45May 21, 2020 1:36 PM

If I were rich and took up the drums...

by Anonymousreply 46May 21, 2020 1:59 PM

[quote]I think the Realtor posted the listing on here to get feedback on the price.

The listing sure reads like it could have been written by a datalounger.

I like the floor plan, but the more I look the more I see details I don't like. Especially the oppressive beige bricks everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 47May 21, 2020 2:02 PM

I know that area and I'm surprised the other houses in that neighborhood are so cheap. I bet it's in the flood plain. The house lacks natural light on the inside. If I lived on a lot like that, I'd want to look out on it.

by Anonymousreply 48May 21, 2020 2:04 PM

r32, that A/C unit is in the "bonus room" off the carport that they say could be a home gym or home office/studio??

The railings are all wrong... they are, like many of the features of the remodel, more craftsman than mid-century.

There is absolutely no backyard... look on google satellite map... they opted to set it back as far from the street as possible in front, leaving no room in the back.

All in all it is a nice house, if you have to live in Houston...

by Anonymousreply 49May 21, 2020 2:44 PM

I like it, save for the awful carpet.

by Anonymousreply 50May 21, 2020 2:48 PM

Doesn’t Houston smell like an oil rag?

by Anonymousreply 51May 21, 2020 3:11 PM

Get Chip and Joanna in there to work their magic. This place needs some shiplap.

by Anonymousreply 52May 21, 2020 3:30 PM

No R51. Pasadena and Deer Park, however, do stink. Pasadena is nicknamed Stinkadena for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 53May 21, 2020 4:06 PM

Hideous.

by Anonymousreply 54May 21, 2020 4:12 PM

[quote] I think the Realtor posted the listing on here to get feedback on the price. I would say this house is nice, but not 700k nice. Although it is MCM ish, It's not an authentic reproduction of the genre one would see say in Palm Springs, Phoenix or LA. No pool is a no go for hot and humid as hell Texas. I think they are trying to lure some unsuspecting transplants from San Francisco who may have substantial means due to the capital gain on the sale of their property. I think 500k would be a good listing price given the current market and niche appeal of the style.

No competent or even sane person comes to Datalounge for information or to seek out some level of expertise. And these “Taste Friends” threads produce very few responses.

by Anonymousreply 55May 21, 2020 5:07 PM

It seems to be one OCD coot opening all these threads about uninteresting houses.

by Anonymousreply 56May 21, 2020 5:09 PM

No one's mentioned the magazine cover highlighting "the brightest, GAYEST kitchen ever published!"

by Anonymousreply 57May 21, 2020 5:35 PM

It lacks the simplicity and economy of space that draws me to mid-century design.

by Anonymousreply 58May 21, 2020 8:43 PM

Agreed with R3. They did a lot of renovation but with some shortcuts and poor decisions that detract. The main room with the carpeted center and and some areas of hardwood at the raised peripheral areas bothers me a lot. It's just incohesive and wrong; likewise the kitchen would doesn't fit the prominent corner position and, again some poor specs and design problems. The stair and, even more, the upper level balustrade is off; I suspect it may be modern code that requires a higher height railing than when it was first built. In any case the replacement looks out of scale . A shame be cause the stairs itself is very nice.

It's not my style but more than that it's a compromised renovation rather than a restoration and the quality and previous owners' decisions would weigh on me.

by Anonymousreply 59May 21, 2020 9:46 PM

dengue is a terrible disease. Chronic and non curable.

by Anonymousreply 60May 22, 2020 12:02 AM

It seems like the type of place where a swinging retired astronaut would live, next door to a sexually frustrated single mother and her fiesty teenage daughter.

by Anonymousreply 61May 22, 2020 3:40 AM

I have a Love-Hate feeling with this house. There are so many reasons why I feel that way that it would be pointless to go into it.

by Anonymousreply 62May 22, 2020 4:08 AM

R62 I agree.

The picture at R39 demonstrates why this house isn't worth renovating. The lot is small and overwhelmed by the neighbours.

The original house is crammed-in and lopsided. That indoor-outdoor pond is bizarre and must have been a security issue.

And the foolish renovators have used the currently-popular GREY PAINT which will immediately date this botched house even further.

by Anonymousreply 63May 22, 2020 4:27 AM

i do not like this house. It is really dark for a MCM.

by Anonymousreply 64May 22, 2020 4:35 AM

The little pond and bridge really does tacky the look of the place. The pond would be fine in the back yard in a garden setting. The bridge is simply an architectural affection. You build a bridge because there's no other choice. You don't put in a little pond just so you can build a silly little arched bridge over. It just screams "LOOK WE HAVE A POND AND A BRIDGE IN OUR FRONT YARD".

by Anonymousreply 65May 22, 2020 1:51 PM

I beg your pardon?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 22, 2020 1:54 PM

Babs' massive stone bridge is an impressive construction, unlike the tacky little concrete thing over that concrete lined pond at the OP house.

by Anonymousreply 67May 22, 2020 1:58 PM

Has Barbra’s farm/mall/pet cemetery ever been featured in Architectural Digest or similar? I’d love to see all of it.

by Anonymousreply 68May 22, 2020 4:34 PM

R36 - was that meant in response to R35 (me)? This zip code was majorly flooded due to the release of the Addicks and Barker reservoirs. It has nothing to do with their proximity to the Gulf.

by Anonymousreply 69May 22, 2020 10:02 PM

You could stick a fountain in the pool to get rid of the skeeters.

by Anonymousreply 70May 23, 2020 2:43 AM

700K is an enormous price for Houston where condos often go for under 100K

by Anonymousreply 71May 23, 2020 2:47 AM

Also Houston is suffering from low oil prices.

by Anonymousreply 72May 23, 2020 2:47 AM

You can do better in Houston for the price. For example, here's a spacious condo at 640K in River Oaks adjacent.

And it's not in a flood zone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73May 23, 2020 2:58 AM

[quote] You can do better in Houston for the price. For example, here's a spacious condo at 640K in River Oaks adjacent. And it's not in a flood zone.

How is a 2400 sq ft 2bedroom/2 bath industrial building (with exposed heating/air ducts) condo better than a 3500 sq ft 4 bedroom/2 1/2 bath stand alone house?

by Anonymousreply 74May 23, 2020 3:17 AM

Really ugly--they take simple classic lines and add stuff like stone accents that look almost like formstone. It was common to have a small area covered in stone in the late 50s---commercial buildings like Kroger super markets used it to break up facades. Tract houses often had too much like this one does. The space is poorly laid out and used--narrow bathrooms, big living areas with too much space. The house seems like a good example of ostentatious crap. The sunbelt seems like a magnet for this.

by Anonymousreply 75May 23, 2020 3:45 AM

I love/hate this one too. I like the peaceful, neutral colors. Chartreuse accents anyone? I don't like the laminate floors, laminate walls, laminate stairs.

Next house...

by Anonymousreply 76May 23, 2020 4:14 AM

Inspiration—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77May 23, 2020 4:34 AM

I love it, OP! right after I move in I'll throw a fabulous cocktail party.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78May 23, 2020 4:49 AM

On first sight, I thought it was a Mormon church.

They'll never sell this at anywhere near the price they're asking.

by Anonymousreply 79May 23, 2020 5:23 AM

r74 location location location

by Anonymousreply 80May 23, 2020 1:47 PM

R77 Looks like a waiting area at an airport.Lets increase the seating, while adding in large windows with a few airplanes outside.

by Anonymousreply 81May 23, 2020 10:28 PM

I used to visit a family in a 1960s house. All the woodwork was varnished into a scary orange color which the wife set off with drapes in colors khaki and prune. The double height living room —no conversation pit— featured a wide wooden staircase with disconcertingly low-rising stairs splayed around two sides of it.

The father said it was inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin houses in Arizona while mother insisted it was inspired by James Mason’s sprawling split-level house in ‘North by Northwest’.

There were a number of internal rockeries built into floating planter boxes raised on splayed legs. The smooth rocks were stolen from a river 62 miles away there and back. Over the years the smooth rocks became more exposed as the plants died off (I think they were Rubber Plants and Monstera Deliciosa.)

by Anonymousreply 82May 24, 2020 12:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!