Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trump says he's taking hydroxychloroquine to prevent COVID-19

The president said he’d been taking the drug for “a couple weeks." The FDA has warned against its use outside hospital settings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 6, 2020 2:31 PM

Here's hoping.

by Anonymousreply 1May 18, 2020 9:30 PM

Bullshit!!!

by Anonymousreply 2May 18, 2020 9:30 PM

I think that's brilliant - Fox & Friends needs to do likewise, live on the air - with a bleach chaser!

by Anonymousreply 3May 18, 2020 9:31 PM

OP We know

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 18, 2020 9:31 PM

Yeah right. He’s heart failure material. Not buying it.

by Anonymousreply 5May 18, 2020 9:33 PM

He's just pushing the drug because he has something to gain financially.

Study after study after study shows it doesn't do anything for Covid. Except give you a heart attack.

Hope he keeps taking it.

by Anonymousreply 6May 18, 2020 9:34 PM

I'm convinced more than ever that he and his family have bought huge blocks of stock in the company that makes this shit, and he fancies himself as its pitchman.

by Anonymousreply 7May 18, 2020 9:34 PM

HIs stupid MAGA followers believe every thing he says, and Trump knows they're stupid enough to run out and buy anything he endorses.

by Anonymousreply 8May 18, 2020 9:35 PM

Crosses fingers -Please get an overdoes, please get an overdose.

by Anonymousreply 9May 18, 2020 9:38 PM

He is full of shit. He's shilling for profits.

by Anonymousreply 10May 18, 2020 9:40 PM

I wouldn't dare defend Trump, even if my life depended on it, however many take this drug outside hospital setting. Those who use if for both Lupus, and Malaria. The prophylaxis use is a very small dose.

Some who believe the drug to be effective post-infection recommend even a lower dose than what Korea and Singapore use. The problem with this drug is two fold.

First, when combined with Azithromycin, heart arrhythmias and other difficulties such as arrest can occur as both drugs prolong the QT interval of the heart. Using the Hydroxychloroquine on its own drastically reduces these side effects.

Secondly, the drug must be administered early on in the infection, not waiting until they are critical, or experiencing ARDS. The drug is useless at this point, and sadly this is when many were administered with it... right before being intubated for a vent. This drug has been somewhat wrongly politicised simply because Trump was a cheerleader. He was very late to the squad however, as many physicians outside the U.S. are still encouraged by its effectiveness.

by Anonymousreply 11May 18, 2020 9:41 PM

He should inject bleach to make it work faster.

by Anonymousreply 12May 18, 2020 9:41 PM

He’s a liar. It has side effects. My friend stopped taking it in Africa because she was working all day seeing patients & it was making her so queasy she couldn’t stand it. She got malaria and later said “Worth it.”

Trump would never tolerate it.

He got convalescent plasma.

by Anonymousreply 13May 18, 2020 9:44 PM

[quote] however many take this drug outside hospital setting. Those who use if for both Lupus, and Malaria. The prophylaxis use is a very small dose.

The dose to stop Covid is actually higher than Lupus or Malaria dosage.

No large study says it works. Even the FDA is saying not to use it.

by Anonymousreply 14May 18, 2020 9:46 PM

[quote] First, when combined with Azithromycin, heart arrhythmias and other difficulties such as arrest can occur as both drugs prolong the QT interval of the heart.

Remember Trump’s hospital run in November? A friend of mine had symptoms exactly like covid in November. They knew.

by Anonymousreply 15May 18, 2020 9:47 PM

I hope and pray that he chases it with Clorox.

by Anonymousreply 16May 18, 2020 9:49 PM

I doubt he is taking it, but if it’s true, good. Hopefully he has a heart attack and dies. Even if he doesn’t, the silver lining is some of his followers will take it and drop dead. So....it’s a win-win.

by Anonymousreply 17May 18, 2020 9:54 PM

Now the shortages will get even worse for people who really need it for like malaria and lupus.

by Anonymousreply 18May 18, 2020 10:00 PM

R13 I agree with your supposition that he's taking plasma... Pence, and probably several other cabinet members.

R14 I'm not specifically looking at this from an American perspective, as I'm not one of you, sorry. Your FDA may indeed make such a claim, yet that doesn't negate the fact it is being used against the virus in other corners of our world. This drug was specifically effective against SARS-1, so there does exist a medical precedent to use it in this battle.

It's been a safe and proven drug for decades, and is still included amongst lists of essential life saving drugs. You cannot deny all the cases it has been effective in treating as anecdotal. It still has strong support outside the U.S. This drug should not be unfairly villified due to its association with your president, or his cronies.

by Anonymousreply 19May 18, 2020 10:04 PM

R11, R19, hydroxyquinoline is not a safe drug!

It has been a well studied, widely used and overall well tolerated drug prescribed for specific purposes at specific doses. There are recognized side effects and adverse reactions even at these established doses, potentially causing permanent damage or death.

Hydroxyquinoline may be a useful treatment in the early stages of COVID-19, however this virus is known to cause multi-system damage, including to the heart. As a prophylactic agent? It may take years for that type of evaluation.

A number of drugs were believed to be very useful for treatment protocols in the past, and were eventually found to be useless when thoroughly reviewed.

It remains to be seen when, and if, hydroxyquinoline will be a realistic and effective option. Even then, it will not be considered "safe".

by Anonymousreply 20May 18, 2020 10:41 PM

I think it's a ruse to get sympathy. He is a habitual liar.

by Anonymousreply 21May 18, 2020 10:45 PM

R20 You're thinking of, and referencing an altogether different substance. You reference a chelating agent, which has also spuriously been included in many carcinogenic skin lightening creams. Hydroxychloroquine is a different substance/drug. This is the sulfate, known under the trade name Plaquenil, and Axemal. Formula: C 18/ H 26/ CIN 3/ O

by Anonymousreply 22May 18, 2020 11:05 PM

R20 I personally know a lady who has taken this drug almost constantly (a few breaks) for over twenty years as a treatment for RA. She suffers no side effects, and takes the drug outside a hospital setting.

It is well tolerated by a large number of individuals. I believe the dose for RA is much higher than a pre-exposure prophylactic dose against COVID. No one currently in the world is advocating this use for the drug however, other than Trump.

by Anonymousreply 23May 18, 2020 11:11 PM

You are right right, my spellchecker popped up with the incorrect drug, and I didn't proof-read. My bad.

All of the same stuff I wrote, but specifically for Hydroxychloroquine.

by Anonymousreply 24May 18, 2020 11:18 PM

R20 / R24 No worries...Many in Europe believe another form of the drug, simoly Chloroquine works better, but is even more toxic than its derivative Hydroxychloroquine. Not only do both have strong antiviral properties, but Hydroxychloroquine possesses strong anti-inflammatory properties which are effective at quelling the cytokine storm we see with so many COVID victims. It is probably the main cause of ARDS. Therefore it's an effective or valuable treatment at the moment. Until something better comes along, many will choose to use it, as they are desperate. All drugs have side effects which are possible, and any drug can become a toxic dose or overload. There are always risks.

Take Chemotherapy for cancer as an example: highly toxic drugs with some very horrific side effects, yet many still choose to take the protocols.

by Anonymousreply 25May 18, 2020 11:28 PM

The fact is he said he's taking it. That means one thing: he's not taking it.

by Anonymousreply 26May 19, 2020 12:29 AM

Hopefully he will OD on it

by Anonymousreply 27May 19, 2020 1:25 AM

Exactly, R26.

Taking it once a day for over a week? What a laugh!

What doctor in his right mind would give someone a specific drug for no reason?

Not even Dr. Moe, Dr. Larry & Dr. Curley would do such a thing.

by Anonymousreply 28May 19, 2020 1:31 AM

R27 Perhaps the Adderall, Sudafed, Diet Coke, and KFC shall conspire against him in the presence of Hydroxychloroquine... exactly during a QT interval as he strains to make a BM. Hope springs eternal.

Don't feel the least bit guilty, as you certainly aren't the first to hope for it.

by Anonymousreply 29May 19, 2020 1:32 AM

How fun would it be if his fat heart gave out on live tv and we could all see it. It would be the best animated GIF material ever.

by Anonymousreply 30May 19, 2020 2:11 AM

If he says he’s taking it, he’s not taking it.

by Anonymousreply 31May 19, 2020 2:15 AM

It's one of the red herrings they instructed him to put out there. To get attention off Pompeo using government employees to pick-up his laundry, etc.

by Anonymousreply 32May 19, 2020 3:13 AM

DIE

MOTHER

FUCKER

DIE

by Anonymousreply 33May 19, 2020 3:26 AM

R33 Sorry to be too picky, but you left off SUFFER! (just enough)

by Anonymousreply 34May 19, 2020 3:30 AM

Agreed; if he says he's doing it, he's not. Trump is a liar.

I don't want him to die, however. I want him to suffer humiliating defeat this November, slink off to Mar-a-Lago with the Slovenian whore, and await prosecution. I'm afraid if he dies, Pence becomes the nominee and skates on all the Trump incompetence.

by Anonymousreply 35May 19, 2020 3:46 AM

Is it dead yet?

by Anonymousreply 36May 20, 2020 1:47 AM

Keep an open mind, whilst bearing in mind that HCQ has been taken for over seventy years: by Ambassadors, their staff, Armed services of several first-world countries, Peace Corps volunteers, and other large groups of people in places where Malaria is commonplace. Some have taken it for years on end. There have been huge data sets of people to study for seven decades.

This is a corrupt turn of events by Big Pharma, as there is no money to be made from HCQ. This often cited Lancet study is currently under investigation and scrutiny for several problems. This study is not only flawed by methodology, but its alleged sources for its data sets have denied being such a source.

There are increasingly more and more who are coming out to criticise this study, and those who are named in the paper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 5, 2020 4:31 AM

This is worth viewing as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 5, 2020 4:35 AM

Well he's probably lying but let's hope it kills him.

by Anonymousreply 39June 5, 2020 4:43 AM

This as well, though I'm a member, and uncertain whether you will be granted permission to read in its entirety; it may only offer an abstract, yet I shall try to pist a link nonetheless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 5, 2020 4:43 AM

This too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 5, 2020 4:51 AM

Spain and several Asian nations never did believe these studies, and now trials shall continue in Britain and India.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 5, 2020 5:03 AM

This is an excellent read about the politicising of a safe and effective drug. Whether one wants to dispute its PReP efficacy is one thing. Demonising a drug because of politics, and needing to win a petty political argument at all costs is very clearly yet another thing altogether

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 6, 2020 2:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!