Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hallmark's and Lifetime's 2020 Christmas films

All US and Canadian production has been shutdown since March. Usually this is the season all of the holiday tv movies are filmed. How will the pandemic impact the upcoming holiday season's Christmas films? They begin airing in October - will there be any this year?!

It will be frau hell this year without them!

by Anonymousreply 46August 4, 2020 2:23 AM

They've got so many in the can from previous years, and they're pretty much all the same anyway, and tend to use the same actors (Hello again, Candace Cameron-Bure!), so they could just show old ones and most people probably won't notice the difference.

by Anonymousreply 1May 18, 2020 4:35 AM

I auditioned for one bigger Hallmark Christmas movie and another one slated for Lifetime (smaller budget but still decent) before everything shut down. I haven't heard back from either, but as production never began I didn't expect to hear anything. I'm not famous, but I have one Hallmark Christmas film under my belt (as father of the leading actress), so I was hoping my [italic]bona fides[/italic] would make this next one easier to snare.

I think if filming can begin by late July/early August, they will still try to rush some product to the finish line by November.

by Anonymousreply 2May 18, 2020 4:36 AM

Every year there seems to be several similar films that end up on lesser channels or streaming services, if push comes to shove, they could always purchase some of them to pad out the schedule.

by Anonymousreply 3May 18, 2020 4:44 AM

It'll be Fraumageddon!

by Anonymousreply 4May 18, 2020 4:47 AM

Where are we supposed to find a misunderstanding that gets resolved on Christmas Eve?

by Anonymousreply 5May 18, 2020 4:49 AM

Damn. And I supply the snow that falls on the background only and never on the characters. I guess I'll be out of work and have to apply for relief.

by Anonymousreply 6May 18, 2020 4:50 AM

Betty White will star in one of the Lifetime Christmas movies for 2020.

[quote] White will star as a woman who “helps whip would-be Santas into shape, spreading the true meaning of Christmas,” while her skill at bringing comfort and joy leads people to wonder if she’s actually Mrs. Claus. The project doesn’t yet have a title.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 18, 2020 5:03 AM

People really do watch these movies and there is a sizable and enthusiastic audience for this sort of tv fare. They are gonna be bummed if they don't get any "fresh" product!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 18, 2020 5:05 AM

Since there will probably be no more theatrical movie releases for the rest of the year, it appears that next year's Academy Award nominated films will consist mostly of Hallmark Christmas movies. Expect Luke Macfarland to be 1/4 of his way to an EGOT with his groundbreaking performance in the sequel to "The Mistletoe Promise."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 18, 2020 5:11 AM

Hallmark will be ok because they film almost everything in Canada for tax breaks.

by Anonymousreply 10May 18, 2020 5:29 AM

R7 Hallmark is probably pissed right now about Lifetime getting Betty White for a movie.

by Anonymousreply 11May 18, 2020 5:31 AM

[quote]Hallmark will be ok because they film almost everything in Canada for tax breaks.

Not true. A big bunch do shoot in Canada, but I'd say not more than half. Many US states offer similar tax incentives + credits and lure a lot of these films.

by Anonymousreply 12May 18, 2020 5:42 AM

Have any even started filming?

by Anonymousreply 13May 27, 2020 7:10 AM

All is forgiven if Merry Kissmas is available again on streaming. One of the actors' English accent is truly the worst I've ever heard.

Christmas with a View is mostly too boring to be entertaining, but the first scene in the restaurant is unintentionally hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 14May 27, 2020 7:37 AM

Why hasn't BET gotten on the bandwagon? Christmas in Compton and Collard Greensleeves would bring a little diversity.

by Anonymousreply 15May 27, 2020 1:52 PM

I love Hallmark Christmas movies (they're like junk food) EXCEPT they never feature actual Christmas carols.

Music and the Christmas spirit are inseparable in my mind.

by Anonymousreply 16May 27, 2020 1:55 PM

[quote]Christmas with a View is mostly too boring to be entertaining

It's gotta be better than "Christmas With THE View."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 27, 2020 2:44 PM

I recently found out that my parents watch one of these movies every single night. I asked my mother why, and she said that they calm my father down and help him sleep. He is in the relatively early stages of Alzheimers and has had lifelong anxiety issues.

by Anonymousreply 18May 27, 2020 6:53 PM

My neighbor is a typical blue-collar guy from the Philly area; he loves hallmark movies and even plays them during his Christmas open house.

by Anonymousreply 19May 27, 2020 7:35 PM

r18 my mom is rapidly approaching mid-stage Alzheimer's.

Whenever I joke about putting on Hallmark movies at Christmas, she responds with something along the lines of, "I need a bucket because I'm going to puke from all the sweetness."

by Anonymousreply 20May 27, 2020 9:11 PM

My mom feels pretty much the same, R20, but she puts up with it for the calming effect it has on him. She has spent the majority of her life taking care of him, so this is just the latest sacrifice on her part.

She's a better person than I. I would lose my mind. Frankly, I would have dumped his ass 40 years ago after he was hospitalized for his second breakdown.

by Anonymousreply 21May 28, 2020 2:19 AM

Candace Cameron-Bure, Lori Loughlin and Valerie Bertinelli will soon resume filming "The 3 Wise Girls".

by Anonymousreply 22May 28, 2020 2:30 AM

Lori Loughlin still has jail time ahead of her.

by Anonymousreply 23May 28, 2020 2:37 AM

A Very Zoom-y Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 24May 28, 2020 2:55 AM

Lori Loughlin in "A Cellmate for Christmas".

by Anonymousreply 25May 28, 2020 5:21 AM

Felicity Huffman in The Christmas Lesson She Had to Learn.

by Anonymousreply 26May 28, 2020 9:23 AM

Josh Kelly is rather easy on the eye. Used to be a soldier, loves acting, is in his late 30s and crucially unmarried. Oh my that’s mighty fine husband material.

by Anonymousreply 27May 28, 2020 12:28 PM

I'm worried sick about the fraus. I hope they don't start rioting at Michael's and JoAnn's craft stores.

by Anonymousreply 28June 2, 2020 1:34 PM

Why do they need fresh material? Every one of those movies is basically rinse and repeat.

by Anonymousreply 29June 2, 2020 2:03 PM

They could edit scenes from previous years into new movies and their audience wouldn’t know or care.

by Anonymousreply 30June 2, 2020 2:21 PM

[quote]They could edit scenes from previous years into new movies and their audience wouldn’t know or care.

Fine with me, as long as I get paid.

by Anonymousreply 31June 2, 2020 6:01 PM

No new movie this month! Usually they have ONE new Christmas in July film.

by Anonymousreply 32July 6, 2020 3:32 AM

A Corona Christmas: A Cyber-love Story

Love Among the Viruses: A Virtual Christmas Romance

by Anonymousreply 33July 6, 2020 3:49 AM

[quote]No new movie this month! Usually they have ONE new Christmas in July film.

Generally they throw in an also-ran from the previous season. Hallmark has first-look and development deals with a number of suppliers, but they're not forced to buy or air everything they have dibs on. Generally a couple of these don't make the Christmas schedule so in July they're still "new".

Last summer it was "Christmas Camp" with Bobby Campo (adorable) and Lily Anne Harrison (also adorable), originally filmed for the previous Christmas but never got picked up.

by Anonymousreply 34July 6, 2020 5:38 AM

Yeah, what is with this "Christmas in July" movement? They were really trying to push it hard last year. I guess Miss Corona has interfered with their plans this year.

by Anonymousreply 35July 6, 2020 5:43 AM

r35, they do it every year and have for some time. It's a thing.

by Anonymousreply 36July 6, 2020 6:08 AM

Who gives a fuck, we are all going to be dead by Halloween. Except maybe for Cher. That bitch won’t die because plastic doesn’t deteriorate.

by Anonymousreply 37July 6, 2020 6:21 AM

Interesting r36.

by Anonymousreply 38July 26, 2020 3:12 AM

R37 I cannot see.

by Anonymousreply 39July 26, 2020 3:13 AM

Ok, now I see why, r37 is one of the few people I blocked.

by Anonymousreply 40July 26, 2020 3:13 AM

Don't expect anything gay

by Anonymousreply 41July 26, 2020 3:21 AM

R35, Christmas is the biggest sales period for Hallmark cards and merchandise. These Christmas movies are one big commercial for Hallmark merchandise. They put out the new ornament or whatever in July so they started having the Christmas movies to showcase the unveiling each year. They originally had the period from Thanksgiving to New Year's set aside for the Christmas movies. They moved it back a bit at a time and now the Christmas movie season starts just before Halloween, that pagan holiday.

by Anonymousreply 42July 26, 2020 3:27 AM

If I don’t get my dose of that stud Trevor I’m going to go crazy. I can’t watch the old films again they don’t have him. I do think that they need to wear if you were shirts in the shows.

by Anonymousreply 43July 26, 2020 3:32 AM

I prefer Hallmark Fall season. All those hayrides, orchards, steaming hot cider and Halloween costumes.

And knitwear.

by Anonymousreply 44July 26, 2020 3:35 AM

They should make a wholesome gay Christmas movie. A city guy returns to his hometown for the holidays to reconcile with family that are now more accepting of his “lifestyle.” While there, his car breaks down and he meets the hunky unmarried mechanic. DILEMMA: Wealthy landowners are trying to buy all the townspeople off and set up fracking, which will ruin the quaint town, and change the way of life forever. The protagonist saves the day by using his urban planning savvy to find a loophole in the fracking plan and foil the plot. The town is free, the protagonist is a hero, and the mechanic proposes to him. Tired of the city’s superficial ways, he says yes and finds true happiness in the place he thought he’d never return to.

by Anonymousreply 45July 26, 2020 3:52 AM

Oh, look. Lifetime's doing a gay Christmas movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 4, 2020 2:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!