Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are the Academy Awards going to be affected by COVID19?

I know it sounds stupid, but I have been thinking about it last few days.

A lot of films who were supposed to premiere this year are getting delayed because of closed cinemas. Does that mean that the quality of the nominees is going to be much lower than previous years?

Is there even going to be a ceremony?

by Anonymousreply 54June 9, 2020 9:19 PM

Remember that site thread about "The Invisible Man" being an Oscar frontrunner? Maybe it's now true!

by Anonymousreply 1May 17, 2020 4:50 PM

If the movie theaters stay closed, or open to mostly empty seats, then yeah. I think they'll cancel the ceremony. Nobody's seeing the new movies, except on streaming.

by Anonymousreply 2May 17, 2020 4:51 PM

R1 That's the movie I was thinking about! I can perfectly see Elizabeth Moss nominated.

by Anonymousreply 3May 17, 2020 4:51 PM

Oh honey, the Oscars have been dead long before Covid-19.

by Anonymousreply 4May 17, 2020 4:53 PM

Elisabeth Moss is totally winning Best Actress at this point. And the movie is getting a Best Picture nom. It's the best film released so far this year.

by Anonymousreply 5May 17, 2020 4:55 PM

oh dear

by Anonymousreply 6May 17, 2020 4:58 PM

Oliver Jackson-Cohen for Best Supporting Actor for The Invisible Man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 17, 2020 4:58 PM

I can see 12 nominations for the invisible man

by Anonymousreply 8May 17, 2020 4:58 PM

Best Supporting Actress Nominees:

Michelle Dockery - The Gentleman

Salma Hayek - Like a Boss

Alice Krige - Gretel & Hansel

Miranda Otto - Downhill

Rosie Perez - Birds of Prey

by Anonymousreply 9May 17, 2020 4:59 PM

That's so weird that's been the furthest thing from my mind the academy awards. Especially the crap show they've been rolling out these past years. There's not been any movies coming out. How can I even have it? And I saw Elizabeth Moss in Invisible Man. It wasn't that great. But scientologists creep me out.

by Anonymousreply 10May 17, 2020 5:00 PM

Best Actor - Will Smith BAD BOYS FOR LIFE

by Anonymousreply 11May 17, 2020 5:00 PM

Movies are being released through streaming. So it's not like there's any lack of product out there. And wasn't everyone bitching last year about how old and out of the touch the academy was being when some members didn't want to nominate movies shown on Netflix or Amazon?

They held it during WW2. Downsize it and hold it now.

It was ridiculous to cancel the Tonys as well. You had enough product out there for nominations. It's a slap in the face to those who do good work.

by Anonymousreply 12May 17, 2020 5:03 PM

R9 Where did you see Downhill?

by Anonymousreply 13May 17, 2020 5:03 PM

Scoob - Best Picture!

Trolls World Tour will win Best Song! And we can watch Justin Timberlake performing from his living room.

by Anonymousreply 14May 17, 2020 5:04 PM

It's streaming online R9. I only watched the first 15 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 15May 17, 2020 5:04 PM

Lol Meryl might very well win her 4th for "The Prom". They just about finished it before lockdown

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 17, 2020 5:04 PM

^^Oops that was meant to be for R13

by Anonymousreply 17May 17, 2020 5:05 PM

The stars couldn't live without their dollop of attention and self-congratulation. And of course the industry needs the awards shows to generate hype. Despite it being a long way off, there may be another pandemic surge. So it will be one big zoom meeting.

by Anonymousreply 18May 17, 2020 5:05 PM

I bet you $10k that Pete Davidson gets nominated for The King of Staten Island.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 17, 2020 5:06 PM

R14 Meanwhile a downsized, untraditional awards show broadcast would probably be more entertaining than the boring spectacles they've been putting on for the last fifteen years.

by Anonymousreply 20May 17, 2020 5:06 PM

4th of July in the U.S. ought to be .....interesting.

by Anonymousreply 21May 17, 2020 5:07 PM

I think this is going to be Adams and Close's year:

Amy Adamd wins best actress for "The Woman on the Window"

Glenn Close, supporting for "Hillbilly Elogy"

Does someone know about the releasing of this two?

by Anonymousreply 22May 17, 2020 5:09 PM

Won't be the same without seeing the usual fashion disasters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 17, 2020 5:13 PM

R22 I was hoping Glenn would win Best Actress. Would she be okay with Supporting?

by Anonymousreply 24May 17, 2020 5:19 PM

What would the stars do without their after parties. All the free booze and drugs. I'm pretty sure they have parties that whole weekend too. Many chances to pat themselves on the back.

by Anonymousreply 25May 17, 2020 5:22 PM

What we need to realize is that anyone in “entertainment” is not special. They do not deserve the accolades and the ridiculous wealth that comes with it. Right now these people are USELESS to us.

by Anonymousreply 26May 17, 2020 5:23 PM

R24 I would like the same. I think she deserves it, but I think what I said above

by Anonymousreply 27May 17, 2020 5:39 PM

Let's Kill Uncle was one of my favorite movies when I was a kid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 17, 2020 6:35 PM

"They held it during WW2. Downsize it and hold it now. "

The US movie theaters were open during WWII, and doing a booming business. Everyone who was still at home wanted escapism!

No, there hasn't been a mass closure of movie theaters since the influenza epidemic of 1918-1919, and that was before the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences was created. The AMPAS has never known anything like the sudden shutdown of theaters, and doesn't have a precedent.

by Anonymousreply 29May 17, 2020 7:02 PM

Hopefully it’s cancelled permanently.

by Anonymousreply 30May 17, 2020 7:05 PM

They should hold a ceremony where they take back Oscars from past winners.

by Anonymousreply 31May 17, 2020 7:05 PM

[quote]I think this is going to be Adams and Close's year: Amy Adamd wins best actress for "The Woman on the Window". Glenn Close, supporting for "Hillbilly Elogy". Does someone know about the releasing of this two?

Yes, The Woman In The Window is terrible and has been delayed for over a year.

by Anonymousreply 32May 17, 2020 7:12 PM

Best Supporting Abs: Charles Melton, Bad Boys for Life

by Anonymousreply 33May 26, 2020 10:48 PM

I know they were discussing some contingencies for various award shows. Especially for the Tonys and for the Oscars next spring. If they skip a year, will two years' worth of material be eligible when they're held again?

by Anonymousreply 34May 26, 2020 10:52 PM

Shut up, R25, you cunt. You sound like Madame Defarge.

by Anonymousreply 35May 26, 2020 11:07 PM

R26, are you related to R25? Are you the same cunt?

by Anonymousreply 36May 26, 2020 11:09 PM

I'm available for presenting.

by Anonymousreply 37May 26, 2020 11:24 PM

R22 Amy Adams will not happen. The author of the book faked cancer, among other things. The backlash would be a tsunami.

by Anonymousreply 38May 27, 2020 12:34 AM

[quote]Right now these people are USELESS to us.

Drop dead!

Movies have kept many people sane during Corona. Long live Hollywood !!

by Anonymousreply 39May 27, 2020 12:55 AM

R39, you'll have to forgive R26. She has a very sandy vadge.

by Anonymousreply 40May 27, 2020 12:57 AM

Who is sane? Everyone I know is coming out of a bad depression. Movies haven't saved anyone. It's been their family and friends. Let greedy Hollywood burn for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 41June 1, 2020 9:23 PM

R26 You okay, Rose McGowan?

by Anonymousreply 42June 1, 2020 9:28 PM

They already announced streaming films will be contenders this year.

by Anonymousreply 43June 1, 2020 9:30 PM

I hope the new trolls movie gets the best picture nomination.

by Anonymousreply 44June 1, 2020 9:52 PM

R12- movie theaters weren’t closed during WW2. And how can you have the Tonys during a quarantine and with half the shows not having opened?

by Anonymousreply 45June 1, 2020 10:13 PM

Let's put it this way, COVID can't make the show any worse.

by Anonymousreply 46June 1, 2020 10:26 PM

After that woke horror show of a ceremony in February I’d be fine if it skipped a year.

by Anonymousreply 47June 1, 2020 10:38 PM

R41=the "I Hate Elite, Useless Hollywood" Troll.

No one cares what you think, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 48June 1, 2020 11:12 PM

(R47) I agree. And all other 100 award shows. Golden Globes, Screen Actors Guild, etc.

by Anonymousreply 49June 1, 2020 11:25 PM

They may be postponed. (and poor G is said to be a contender again.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 3, 2020 4:10 AM

Marisa Tomei and Bill Burr are shoo-ins for supporting nominations for The King of Staten Island, and both will probably win. Pete Davidson has a decent shot of getting nominated for best actor.

Judd Apatow could get a Best Director nom since the competition is so scarce this year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 9, 2020 8:15 PM

[quote]The stars couldn't live without their dollop of attention and self-congratulation. And of course the industry needs the awards shows to generate hype.

True, but for once, I actually think it we as the audience could benefit as well: holding the Oscars, while not technically important, could help contribute to a feeling that some normalcy has been restored in the world, which could give people a lift psychologically.

And besides, why push off the Oscars? Aren't the Emmys still on track to happen in September?

by Anonymousreply 52June 9, 2020 8:45 PM

The Emmys are still planned, but there’s no guarantee the show will go on in the way awards shows normally do. And since production shut down in March, most of the series only had minimal interruptions before the end of eligibility. The Oscars will only barely have enough movies to honor, even with the relaxed restrictions, while all of the big Emmy contenders (Succession, The Crown, Marvelous Mrs. Maisel) aired well before most people even heard of COVID-19.

by Anonymousreply 53June 9, 2020 9:01 PM

If any white people win I'll take a knee.

by Anonymousreply 54June 9, 2020 9:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!