Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Your favorite films of the 90s

I'll start:

Orlando (1992). Sally Potter captivates with this epic drama featuring beautiful cinematography, unconventional story structure, and detailed character work by the great Tilda Swinton. I've never seen anything quite like it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 17, 2021 8:52 AM

Orlando is an incredible movie. Another one that made a huge impression on me is Without You I'm Nothing, Sandra Bernhard's movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 16, 2020 9:12 PM

The Boondock Saints

El Maricaahi

Raise the Red Latnern

My Own Private Idaho

Goodfellas

Orlando

Red

Jurassic Park

The Thin Red Line

by Anonymousreply 2May 16, 2020 9:59 PM

Thanks, OP. I liked Orlando enough to buy it after I saw it and yet I have not watched it since.

Some of my favorite 1990s movies:

Eyes Wide Shut

The Talented Mr. Ripley

Shakespeare in Love

Elizabeth

Clueless

Go

Emma

Fight Club

Beautiful Thing

Before Sunrise

Being John Malkovich

by Anonymousreply 3May 16, 2020 10:24 PM

Perfect Blue (1997), aka the original Black Swan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 18, 2020 8:46 PM

Opop, you mentioned Tilda Swinton. What do you think of her emails with Margaret Cho?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 18, 2020 8:49 PM

SAFE. Todd Haynes, 1995. It will always be relevant.

by Anonymousreply 6May 18, 2020 9:04 PM

The Blair Witch Project is an artistic horror masterpiece. Most of the people who dislike it are just misunderstanding it or want it to be a gory, jump scare kind of movie which it isn't at all and was never supposed to be.

by Anonymousreply 7May 18, 2020 9:17 PM

At the very least, r7, we wanted The Blair Witch Project to be not boring.

by Anonymousreply 8May 18, 2020 9:25 PM

R8, And it wasn't. So you got what you wanted. I am glad to see a fellow fan of the movie. It is nice to meet you.

by Anonymousreply 9May 18, 2020 9:27 PM

Dear, The Blair Watch Project was so boring it should be used as an alternative to Unisom.

Anyway, here are some of my favorites of the 90s:

Europa, Europa

Mountains of the Moon

The Grifters

The Silence of the Lambs

Thelma & Louise

Basic Instinct

Howards End

Groundhog Day

Short Cuts

Heavenly Creatures

Shallow Grave

Dolores Claiborne

Fargo

Lone Star

Funny Games

Starship Troopers

Titanic

Gods and Monsters

Notting Hill

Topsy-Turvy

Beau Travail

by Anonymousreply 10May 18, 2020 9:34 PM

The Living End - perfectly summarized my life at the time. And the early 90s.

by Anonymousreply 11May 18, 2020 9:45 PM

I totally agree r7! I thought The Blair Witch Project was a horror masterpiece for the way it harked back to the classic horror film; what's not being seen can be far scarier than what is. That last scene stuck with me for days. Also, that documentary style interview of the town citizens near the beginning of the film was masterful , especially the part with the little baby girl toddler crying and trying to shut her mother up from talking about the town legend of the witch. Great stuff.

by Anonymousreply 12May 19, 2020 12:43 AM

I love Topsy-Turvy, r10. I wish I could ever find it playing somewhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 19, 2020 3:18 AM

Get Real

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 19, 2020 3:29 AM

There should be a DL Movie of the Month Club

by Anonymousreply 15May 19, 2020 6:04 AM

Orlando is one of my favourite books and I had high hopes for the film. But it was ruined for me by the casting of Tilda Swinton. Like all gingers, she is just fucking ugly without makeup, and so could not play Orlando as a man.

by Anonymousreply 16May 19, 2020 6:43 AM

My Cousin Vinny. Just great escapist comedy with perfect performances from Joe Pesci, Marisa Tomei and Fred Gwynne.

by Anonymousreply 17May 19, 2020 7:22 AM

Some lesser known favorites:

Leolo

Suite 16

Toto the Hero

Serial Lover

Killing Zoe

Olivier Olivier

Death and the Maiden

Gonin

Existenz

In the Company of Men

The Spanish Prisoner

Cube

by Anonymousreply 18May 19, 2020 7:36 AM

Passion Fish and Lone Star - loved me some John Sayles

Next Stop Wonderland

East Is East

Secrets and Lies

Boogie Nights and Magnolia

by Anonymousreply 19May 19, 2020 8:36 AM

Hammam

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 19, 2020 11:20 AM

Flirting with Disaster was a great comedy film. I always enjoy rewatching it.

by Anonymousreply 21May 19, 2020 11:26 AM

Howards End

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 19, 2020 11:30 AM

Wow, so many. It was really the last decade I bothered with movies. Here's the ones I love and watch again and again.

Strictly Ballroom

Rushmore

Fargo

Trainspotting

Election

Jackie Brown

Babe

Breaking the Waves

Run Lola Run

All About My Mother

Happy Together

by Anonymousreply 23May 19, 2020 11:43 AM

R10 Dolores Claiborne and Heavenly Creatures? You tend toward the dark and disturbing! Although I must say, Dolores Claiborne was the first time I saw a movie/read a book by a man thinking “Stephen King actually gets what women have to go through.” Very few men write women characters so well and also sympathetically to their plight. It helps that Stephen King’s wife is a feminist, I’m sure. Good book and good movie!

by Anonymousreply 24May 19, 2020 11:35 PM

German Turks are funny.

by Anonymousreply 25May 19, 2020 11:48 PM

EARLY 90s: Exorcist III, Misery, The Grifters, Goodfellas, Thelma & Louise, Silence of the Lambs, Cape Fear, LA Story, Soapdish, The People Under the Stairs, Fried Green Tomatoes, The Addams Family, Braindead, Batman Returns, Candyman, Death Becomes Her, Basic Instinct, The Hand that Rocks the Cradle, Sister Act, Last of the Mohicans, Addams Family Values, Jurassic Park, This Boy's Life, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Mrs. Doubtfire, Needful Things, Hocus Pocus, The Good Son

by Anonymousreply 26May 20, 2020 12:08 AM

Ranking the years:

1. 1999 2. 1993 3. 1998 4. 1995 5. 1996 6. 1994 7. 1991 8. 1997 9. 1990 10. 1992

by Anonymousreply 27June 23, 2021 5:58 PM

1. It's a tie between Drop Dead Gorgeous and Welcome to the Dollhouse. Having to pick between these two makes me feel like Sophie!

2. Festen

3. Go

4. La Promesse

5. Boys Don't Cry

6. Pelisky

7. Fucking Amal

8. Edward Scissorhands

9. Solas

10. The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

by Anonymousreply 28June 23, 2021 11:16 PM

Loved "Orlando"! Although, oddly, I saw it recently and it didn't conjure the same levels of enjoyment that it did when I first viewed it in the '90s. Maybe because it reflected originally the quirky whimsical cinematic sense that was particular characteristic of films in that decade.

by Anonymousreply 29June 24, 2021 2:18 AM

The Grifters

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 24, 2021 2:30 AM

Bullets Over Broadway

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 24, 2021 2:33 AM

Secrets and Lies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 24, 2021 2:36 AM

Silence of the Lambs

Basic Instinct

The Cell

Terminator 2

Natural Born Killers

Seven

To Die For

The Rock

Men in Black

by Anonymousreply 33June 24, 2021 2:38 AM

Reckless

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 24, 2021 2:51 AM

Beauty and the Beast

Schindler's List

Jurassic Park

Toy Story

Apollo 13

Babe

L.A. Confidential

Gods and Monsters

The Truman Show

The Talented Mr. Ripley

by Anonymousreply 35June 24, 2021 3:21 AM

The Opposite of Sex

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 24, 2021 3:23 AM

To Die For / Living in Oblivion / Goodfellas / In the Name of the Father / Citizen Ruth / The Grifters / Schindler's List / The Remains of the Day / The Blair Witch Project / Passion Fish / A Simple Plan

by Anonymousreply 37June 24, 2021 3:24 AM

Can someone recommend a film that's similar in tone to Orlando?

by Anonymousreply 38October 17, 2021 5:57 AM

PARTY GIRL made me fall in love with Parker Posey

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 17, 2021 6:26 AM

Pam and Tommy Sex Tape

by Anonymousreply 40October 17, 2021 6:35 AM

I loved (and still love) Orlando, OP. *LOVED.* I've never found Tilda Swinton androgynous, though. She dresses and styles herself that way but is in truth extremely feminine in a fine-featured, small-boned kind of way. I just went with the character in the first half of the movie and was fully able to immerse myself in it. So many excellent scenes!

Others (in no particular order and many because posters above reminded me of them):

Short Cuts

Metropolitan

Heat

The Blair Witch Project

Clueless

Dazed And Confused

In The Company Of Men

Trainspotting

Jackie Brown (my favourite Tarantino movie, I disliked OUATIH)

LA Confidential

Trust

Kids

Out Of Sight

The Matrix

by Anonymousreply 41October 17, 2021 6:58 AM

R38 Any Peter Greenaway film.

by Anonymousreply 42October 17, 2021 7:43 AM

"Celebrity," by Woody Allen. Romy & Michelle Reality Bites

by Anonymousreply 43October 17, 2021 7:52 AM

Impromptu (1991). One of my favs. Did you know that it was part of a 3-picture $1M deal with up-and-coming young Julliard-trained actress by the name Diane Venora that was first offered the role, but turned it down for personal reasons. How unfortunate, I’m sure Diane would have been effervescent in the role. The part was eventually given to a monotone Judy Davis.

I swear that had Diane been brave enough to do it, her career would see much action, considering the subsequent roles offered to Judy Davis, whom Diane could have performed cartwheels around her staid portrayal. Same with the talented Tilda Swinton. She, too, could manifest an androgynous figure. AccK!….Touché.

by Anonymousreply 44October 17, 2021 8:09 AM

The Remains of the Day. Merchant Ivory at their best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 17, 2021 8:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!