Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Historically Black Colleges & Universities or HBCU

Let’s talk HBCUs. First let’s rank them from best to worst. Everyone knows about Howard, Spelman & Morehouse. I want to hear about the Universities.

by Anonymousreply 41May 26, 2020 9:10 AM

Which ones are the best academically.. party schools.. etc

by Anonymousreply 1May 16, 2020 2:34 PM

Typically, if you drive by slowly enough, they toss a diploma in your car.

by Anonymousreply 2May 16, 2020 2:37 PM

I love Winston-Salem State University. Nice campus.

by Anonymousreply 3May 16, 2020 2:40 PM

R3 is it? I’ve never been there

by Anonymousreply 4May 16, 2020 2:53 PM

Let's not. The predictable race troll strikes again.

by Anonymousreply 5May 16, 2020 2:53 PM

Howard is extremely pretentious and stuck up. I had a few friends that went to Grambling . Total party school.

by Anonymousreply 6May 16, 2020 3:01 PM

How bout Clark Atlanta?

by Anonymousreply 7May 16, 2020 4:35 PM

I have visited Tuskegee (and saw Booker T. Washington's former residence, among other things).

What stood out to me what not the university itself, but rather the drive to get there. I'd never seen the South off the interstate and was struck by the poverty.

by Anonymousreply 8May 16, 2020 4:37 PM

I interviewed for a tenure-track position at Lincoln University (PA) many years ago. Generally, it was a positive experience. The campus was rural, but pretty, and had a fantastic then-new library. My one-on-one meetings can be categorized by race, however. Talks with white faculty were very encouraging. Talks with black faculty were abrupt and tense. (I'm white.)

Basically, they did not want any "white saviors." Many months passed before the provost called me with an offer. Clearly one or more other candidates turned them down before they got to me. I turned them down, too.

by Anonymousreply 9May 16, 2020 4:51 PM

Howard has a deservedly excellent reputation, once upon a time. Now it’s just a place to waste your parents’ money while you party with other black kids.

by Anonymousreply 10May 16, 2020 4:59 PM

^^^ “had”

by Anonymousreply 11May 16, 2020 4:59 PM

R10 So true! Hampton is better

by Anonymousreply 12May 16, 2020 5:00 PM

I think Spelman and Morehouse are considered the elite HBCUs. Howard is probably next.

by Anonymousreply 13May 16, 2020 5:03 PM

I worked for Texas Southern University in Houston for several years. It's a complete, corrupt shithole of a degree mill.

by Anonymousreply 14May 16, 2020 5:08 PM

Wouldn't almost any black youth with brains or talent accept the offers from the 100 elite non-color coded universities?

by Anonymousreply 15May 16, 2020 5:13 PM

R13 Yeah if you go to Morehouse you’re pretty much guaranteed to make serious money. The connections alone...

by Anonymousreply 16May 16, 2020 5:13 PM

I know one person who attended a HBCU and he's a white guy. He went to North Carolina Central University to finish his degree. He was only there a year and he said it was a great school.

by Anonymousreply 17May 16, 2020 5:20 PM

Cheney is one of the lowest. One of the oldest - but has been slowly dying for decades. A shame - but the same is true for all women’s colleges. A remnant of the past.

by Anonymousreply 18May 16, 2020 5:21 PM

HBCUs should be getting more funding.

by Anonymousreply 19May 16, 2020 5:23 PM

R19 i agree. On a related note, when that college admission scandal happened last year, Dr. Dre bragged on Instagram about how his daughter got into USC on her own and how he didn't need to pay up off anyone. He didn't include that he has a history of donating to USC and he got ripped apart on twitter and instagram because people brought up his donation history. I remember one guy saying that something that it was a shame that Dr. Dre never donates to HBCUs.

by Anonymousreply 20May 16, 2020 5:29 PM

R20, I think a lot of people who aren't black have a ton of misconceptions about HBCUs. They think they are inferior, not worth mentioning, etc. It's a shame because many of these schools produce great graduates. I"m not black but I really want HCBUs to get more funding. Black Americans have a historical connection to these schools that isn't going away and why should it? These schools accepted them when other "white" dominated schools didn't.

by Anonymousreply 21May 16, 2020 5:35 PM

I (a black guy) went to Jackson State University, because I was obsessed with marching band after high school. I was also considering FAMU. It was fun, but definitely underprepared me for grad school at GA Tech. I’m currently being slowly worked to death in Silicon Valley. I don’t think I would change anything though.

by Anonymousreply 22May 16, 2020 5:36 PM

Which one did Denise Huxtable go to in A Different World?

And yes, that's future Oscar winner Marisa Tomei.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 16, 2020 5:39 PM

Hillman? I think it was modeled after Howard.

by Anonymousreply 24May 16, 2020 5:40 PM

^^^ Yes it was

by Anonymousreply 25May 16, 2020 5:41 PM

Spellman R23 - renamed Hillman. The Atlanta black Seven Sister.

by Anonymousreply 26May 16, 2020 5:42 PM

I thought it was modeled after Spelman.

by Anonymousreply 27May 16, 2020 5:45 PM

My BIL, who is white but grew up in DC, went to Howard for his dental degree. He thought it was a great school, but that was like 40 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 28May 16, 2020 5:54 PM

The ones near me can be considered “Show Up” schools — if you show up to class and pay your fees, you’re just about guaranteed to graduate.

by Anonymousreply 29May 16, 2020 5:56 PM

R28 I thought Hillman was modeled after Howard. A lot of my friends chose to go to HBCUs because they knew they'd make valuable connections. Most of them joined a fraternity or sorority.

by Anonymousreply 30May 16, 2020 6:00 PM

I have several friends who graduated from Hampton University (some when it was still Hampton Institute). They are all smart, talented, and successful, so my overall impression of HU is very positive. Beautiful campus, too!

by Anonymousreply 31May 16, 2020 6:02 PM

R31 I agree! It’s a beautiful campus. I know a lot of people that went there as well. Many of them ended up in DC with cush jobs.

by Anonymousreply 32May 16, 2020 6:04 PM

Im Tyrone Hankerson, HBCU stunt queen extraordinaire, stealing your financial aid, bitches!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 17, 2020 1:46 AM

Their commercials used to scare me when I was a kid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 17, 2020 2:31 AM

Related news: That white HS drum major who everybody was obsessed with last year is apparently going to Alabama State University in the fall. I’m a bit surprised because ASU’s drum major style (really their entire band style) is very different from his HS, which was primarily based on JSU. But I guess it’s in-state and makes sense proximity-wise.

At any rate, here’s a solid bump for this thread, which will undoubtedly sink back to the freshly-FLEETed bowels of DataLounge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 26, 2020 6:11 AM

How are non-black students treated?

[quote]Cheney is one of the lowest.

A common theme with that name.

by Anonymousreply 36May 26, 2020 6:21 AM

[quote] I interviewed for a tenure-track position at Lincoln University (PA) many years ago. Generally, it was a positive experience. The campus was rural, but pretty, and had a fantastic then-new library. My one-on-one meetings can be categorized by race, however. Talks with white faculty were very encouraging. Talks with black faculty were abrupt and tense. (I'm white.) Basically, they did not want any "white saviors." Many months passed before the provost called me with an offer. Clearly one or more other candidates turned them down before they got to me. I turned them down, too.

[quote] I have swapped BJs with a lot of students at my school. I meet them on Grindr or Scruff. Although a Professor, I have been full-time administration for a few years, so I will never have any of them in my classes. I live in different city than my university, and my home town also has a large university. So even around home, I have fucked around with college guys. Since it is at home, with a bed, the sex is oral and/or anal.

How unfortunate that you didn’t get a chance to fuck your way around that campus too.

by Anonymousreply 37May 26, 2020 6:37 AM

[quote] Typically, if you drive by slowly enough, they toss a diploma in your car.

[quote] The ones near me can be considered “Show Up” schools — if you show up to class and pay your fees, you’re just about guaranteed to graduate.

There are 100 of them. I’m sure you live “near” and have intimate knowledge of all of them.

by Anonymousreply 38May 26, 2020 6:46 AM

I remember visiting Prairie View A & M University (TX) during a road trip and Howard University during Obama's 2009 inauguration back in HS. My parents went to an HBCU in OH so they encouraged me check them out before making my final decision. I thought Prairie View was intimidating. I grew up in the burbs around white people, I simply wasn't ready or willing to step out of my comfort zone. It's sort of sad, but I already knew I would find a reason to say no to an HBCU. I was excited to check out Howard because of the reputation. I actually liked the school during my tour. My mom's best friend had her (closeted) son give us a private tour after the official one. I figured if this glass closet black man could be happy at Howard then I could also call it home. My only reservation was DC. I love the National Mall but the rest of the city felt too old and look rather rough in too many parts. In the end, I went to a white, no-name, small liberal arts school with a campus in the middle of a suburb. Sadly, I remained in my comfort zone, including the closet throughout college.

I'm ashamed for my cowardice, but it's my life so I accept the decisions I made at that time. If I could do it again, I would have busted my ass so that I could have a shot at getting into Howard. I might have bowed to my parent's pressure, enrolled in that university, and be on another great path in life. All well, there is always grad school.

by Anonymousreply 39May 26, 2020 6:54 AM

Alabama State University has to be one of the worst. It has an appalling 25% graduation rate.

by Anonymousreply 40May 26, 2020 7:07 AM

One daughter went to XULA and thrived. Nothing but positives. They other daughter went to Southern (Baton Rouge campus) and hated it. I don’t think her problems were with the school though. Trying to encourage her to try XULA after this gap year is over. Grambling was a big disappointment during our campus tours. I loved Mississippi Valley State, but younger daughter didn’t want to be “out in the country.” I was also impressed by Jackson State, but neither daughter was remotely interested in them. Overall, HBCUs are underestimated, misunderstood, underfunded, very diverse, and largely hidden gems.

by Anonymousreply 41May 26, 2020 9:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!