Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's Be And Talk About The Film.... MAHOGANY!

Budget $3.5 million

Box office $5,000,000

Mahogany is a 1975 American romantic drama film directed by Berry Gordy and produced by Motown Productions. Fresh from the success of Lady Sings the Blues, this film served as Diana Ross' follow-up feature film. It was released on October 8, 1975.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119Last Saturday at 3:18 PM

I'M COMING OUT, HUNTYS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105/15/2020

Love love love Mahogany. One of the best movies ever. Diana was fabulous in those kooky Kabuki outfits. And a crazy bisexual Anthony Perkins. Why does it never air?

by Anonymousreply 205/15/2020

Beautiful in so many ways

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305/15/2020

Camp fest and very enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 405/15/2020

I'm this outfit which has yet to THIS DAY to make such an entrance!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 505/15/2020

Liked it much better than "Lady Sings the Blues."

by Anonymousreply 605/15/2020

by the way it is not "high camp" - I think they all had serious intent

by Anonymousreply 705/15/2020

Hello

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 805/15/2020

Let’s not and say we did.

by Anonymousreply 905/15/2020

Do you know where you’re going to?

by Anonymousreply 1005/15/2020

I remember sitting in the theater and all the sisters screamed when Billie Dee made his first appearance. Girl, he was FINE!

by Anonymousreply 1105/15/2020

Didn't Miss Ross do the costume design herself? Just so we know where to affix the blame.

by Anonymousreply 1205/15/2020

I'm the inspirational graffiti that informs my designs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1305/15/2020

I would rather discuss Birdseye Maple or Quarter Sawn Oak.

by Anonymousreply 1405/15/2020

[quote]Why does it never air?

Here ya go!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1505/15/2020

[quote]Let's Be And Talk About The Film .... MAHOGANY!

Which is it to be, OP? Are we to be the film or talk about it? This thread is at war with itself.

by Anonymousreply 1605/15/2020

I remember this gay bar, (The Urge), in NYC that would play the movie sometimes during its Happy Hour. What amazed me is how the bar quieted down and everyone would just become transfixed by the movie which was shown on a huge screen.

by Anonymousreply 1705/15/2020

Did patrons drink Remy Martin?

by Anonymousreply 1805/15/2020

I'm her titty, making the most of my cameo.

by Anonymousreply 1905/15/2020

R15 - thank you!

by Anonymousreply 2005/15/2020
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2105/15/2020

Honey....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2205/15/2020

[quote]Camp fest and very enjoyable.

It ranks up there with "Mommie Dearest" in the world of the gays!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2305/15/2020

The music and reigns were gay fabulous. As was the idea of a girl from the projects become a superstar model and designer.

by Anonymousreply 2405/15/2020

“Success is nothing without someone you love to share it with.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2505/15/2020

I'm a thinner Bruce Vilanch at 31:30.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2605/15/2020

Billie Dee Williams and Blair Underwood. Yas, yas.

by Anonymousreply 2705/15/2020

The rainbow dress

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2805/15/2020

It's the first movie that made me cry. I was so embarrassed, I waited until most of the theater was empty to leave.

by Anonymousreply 2905/15/2020

I'm the maudlin "Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)."

Love the movie, but Diana could and did do much better.

by Anonymousreply 3005/15/2020

My old man left me with 6 kids, the heat's been off for weeks, and they all got the flu. What are you gonna do about that?

by Anonymousreply 3105/15/2020

TWENTY MILLION LIRE!!!!

(Which would have been about $11K in 1975)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3205/15/2020

How many bomb movies was Miss Ross allowed to sink until she was regulated to just appearing on duet theme songs on the soundtrack?

by Anonymousreply 3305/15/2020

[quote]Blair Underwood

I think that he would be a great choice if they remade the movie. I wonder who could play the lead? And no, not Beyonce. At times I wonder what did they ever do with all of those "fashions" designed by Miss Ross? Also, does anyone remember the bus scene with Brian (Billy Dee Williams) where one of his workers is thumbing through a magazine and sees the pic in R23? I always wondered who that singer was. He was uncredited.

by Anonymousreply 3405/15/2020

I loved it. I saw it on TV one rainy Sunday afternoon 20 yrs after it's original release and fell all back in love with The Boss Ms Ross!

by Anonymousreply 3505/15/2020

Blair Underwood is an excellent choice.

As for Miss Ross - Kerry Washington? Solange? Brandy? Does it have to be a singer?

by Anonymousreply 3605/15/2020

this film does not need to be remade

by Anonymousreply 3705/15/2020

Kerry Washington can only play Kerry Washington.

by Anonymousreply 3805/15/2020

Angelica Ross from Pose and AHS.

by Anonymousreply 3905/15/2020

I love the theme song. It was a radio hit when it came out. The melody and chords are memorable.

Unril now I didn't realize the movie is considered a camp classic for gays.

by Anonymousreply 4005/15/2020

A remake ?..Hmmmm...It's obvious ONLY The Queen BEE could pull something of this magnitude off.... BEYONCE! Actually I'm kinda surprised it hasn't been proposed.

by Anonymousreply 4105/15/2020

[quote]BEYONCE!

Perhaps as Aunt Florence.

by Anonymousreply 4205/15/2020

Speaking of which, isn't Lady Gaga overdue for a follow-up to "A Star is Born"? Long overdue?

by Anonymousreply 4305/15/2020

I'm the batshit wig collection!

But seriously, didn't this film stop Diana Ross's acting career dead in its tracks? She got off to a roaring start with "Lady Sings the Blues", and then... this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4405/16/2020

At least Miss Ross had a boyish, rail thin figure, which made her believable as a top model of that era.

by Anonymousreply 4505/16/2020

Except that Ross is about a foot too short to be a fashion model.

by Anonymousreply 4605/16/2020

[quote] Except that Ross is about a foot too short to be a fashion model.

Except her character is a designer who modeled her own designs, not a model who designs.

by Anonymousreply 4705/16/2020

This and the equally disastrous The Wiz ended Ross's movie career.

by Anonymousreply 4805/16/2020

I have learned to love Diana because of you all. Bitchiness and all. So thanks!

by Anonymousreply 4905/16/2020

Does this thread even know where it’s going to?

by Anonymousreply 5005/16/2020

R38 There’s a thread going on right now perfect for that statement.

by Anonymousreply 5105/16/2020

A friend of mine, who doesn't know the work of Kurt Weill, thought "The Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny" was a musical stage adaptation of Miss Ross' "Mahogany".

by Anonymousreply 5205/16/2020

R52 Lol, thanks for the chuckle. And may I say, they probably thought the emphasis would have been on the “fall.”

by Anonymousreply 5305/16/2020

"The men love me, the women love me, the children love me -- You're just jealous Brian 'cause no one loves you."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5405/16/2020

[quote]I'm the batshit wig collection!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5505/16/2020

What were they thinking

by Joe Riddle | November 1, 2019

This column is about bad movies. The ones that make us wince when we leave the theater. The ones that have us saying: "What were they thinking?"

Mahogany, the second attempt by record mogul Berry Gordy to turn Diana Ross into a film superstar, is not a great film. It isn't even a good film. But it has achieved camp status.

Ross' first film, the biopic Lady Sings the Blues, directed by Sidney J. Furie, was a hell of a lot better. And don't get me started on The Wiz.

Gordy fired Mahogany's original director, Tony Richardson (Tom Jones), and directed the film himself. (IMDb lists a Jack Wormser as a co-director. So perhaps Gordy isn't the only culprit here.) Every cliché in the book was thrown in the screenplay. (By the way, Gordy never directed another film. Neither did Wormser.)

The plot is as old as Methuselah. Poor but plucky girl strives for a better life. Works hard, falls in love, takes her knocks, gets famous but finds that fame is not all that it is cracked up to be, especially when you can't enjoy it with the person you love. Yawn.

This was the same film Joan Crawford was making 40 years earlier, only she had better scripts, direction and co-stars (Clark Gable, Spencer Tracy, Robert Montgomery, William Powell, Gary Cooper, Melvyn Douglas, etc.).

And feminists beware: Tracy/Mahogany gives it all up for the man she loves. (Just as Joan did 40 years earlier.)

To be fair, I have to mention that Mahogany was a first in several respects. It was about a black woman who becomes a fashion icon. Never saw that before. And it was made by a black filmmaker, which opened the door to more black filmmakers. Too bad it wasn't a better film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5605/16/2020

[quote]R44 I didn't this film stop Diana Ross's acting career dead in its tracks?

I don’t believe so. It turned a modest profit? She continued to receive offers over the years so it’s not like she was cast out of Hollywood.

She’s an uptight gal who only wanted to see herself presented a certain way. So that ruled out a lot of roles... and there weren’t that many for black actresses in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 5705/16/2020

I thought gay men were supposed to innately have better taste in food, design and FILMS.

by Anonymousreply 5805/16/2020

always loved the very homoerotic scene of perkins and billy dee fighting over that gun on the floor and perkins' character ON PURPOSE wrapping his legs around dee's character and basically trying to frot and hump him! awesome scene!..

by Anonymousreply 5905/16/2020
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6005/16/2020

[italic]”Based on a story by Toni Amber...[/italic]

We might have known.

by Anonymousreply 6105/16/2020

"couture"

by Anonymousreply 6205/16/2020

[quote]"The men love me, the women love me, the children love me -- You're just jealous Brian 'cause no one loves you."

ME! [bold]Ma-ho-ga-NEE![/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6305/16/2020

[quote]I thought gay men were supposed to innately have better taste in food, design and FILMS.

WE DO! This is Miss Ross, hunty!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6405/16/2020

Much fuss was made regarding her fashion designs, but she only created the five gowns shown in the film’s opening scene. These five designs are bad enough to last any Diva’s lifetime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6505/16/2020

Oh, child! You must see Diana Ross as ‘Mahogany’

17 September 2016 Matty Stanfield

❉ Critics panned it, audiences loved it. We celebrate the insanity that is Diana Ross’s 1975 movie Mahogany.

[quote]‘Mahogany’ is not just any bad movie. It is a cinematic train wreck of epic proportions that somehow works its way all the way back to brilliant. ‘Mahogany’ takes the concept of camp and elevates it to a whole new level. You may not know where you’re going to, but you will not care once this frenzied movie starts.

‘Diana Ross as Mahogany’ debuted in cinemas in October of 1975. Reports of theatre damages resulting from sonic shocks vary dependent upon where one secures information.

Critics panned it. Audiences lined up to see it. The film did especially well in France, though it would appear this was largely due to the fact that many of the French mistook ‘Mahogany’ for satire. Most importantly it inspired several generations of drag queens! Ms. RuPaul was at the head of the line!

Over the years, I’ve had the pleasure of experiencing ‘Mahogany’ at several public screenings. This has given me opportunity to speak with several who saw it upon its initial release. I secured feedback from some of those original audience members:

“Oh, child! We loved it! It was Diana Ross looking fierce!”

“I loved it, but we were laughing at it back then.”

“It is a seminal work of cinematic art! It is not camp! Back off, bitch!”

“Like Miss Ross, I was there for the stunningly beautiful fashion! She designed the clothing!”

“I do not really speak of ‘Mahogany’. What happens in that cinema stays there.”

My family had a copy of the movie’s soundtrack album. It featured the big hit single. The ‘Mahogany’ soundtrack essentially strings together various instrumental versions of that one song along with only a couple of flaccid disco instrumentals in between. But that album cover rocked my gay seven year old eyes! It was fierce! An illustrated incorrectly proportioned Miss Ross is decked out in a flowing gown covered with her character’s name plus a fab pair of long purple gloves.

It would be a decade before the movie was released to VHS. Interestingly, that tape was not particularly easy to locate. But ‘Mahogany’’s release to DVD is the thing of legend. Paramount knew there were buyers waiting for it, but they didn’t do much in the way of remastering other than to ensure it was presented in widescreen format. I pre-ordered my copy. It was due to arrive in 2006! But then something horrific happened. Miss Ross found out that ‘Mahogany’ was about to be sent back into the world.

She panicked and set out to utilise every connection and every last shred of power she had to halt the DVD’s release. For over eight months, the Diva held all of Paramount’s newly printed and packaged DVDs hostage. Luck for all of us, Paramount, Berry Gordy, and Boy George were able to convince Miss Ross to relent. Look, I am not jerking your chain! This is the information that was being passed around. It is allegedly true. Just think – The Boy might be the reason we now have access to ‘Mahogany’.

‘Mahogany’ is not just any bad movie. It is a cinematic train wreck of epic proportions that somehow works its way all the way back to brilliant. ‘Mahogany’ takes the concept of camp and elevates it to a whole new level. You may not know where you’re going to, but you will not care once this frenzied movie starts. This is one cult movie that never lets the viewer down. ‘Mahogany’ is more fun than attending a county fair under the influence of MDMA!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6605/16/2020

Like its battle to the DVD player, the film’s production was not easy. Berry Gordy originally secured Tony Richardson to direct the movie that promised to cement Diana Ross’ standing as The Most Brilliant Star of All Time! It was also expected to push Miss Ross forward as a respected fashion designer! What was Berry Gordy’s goal? The main objective was to make both Faye Dunaway and Yves Saint Laurent envious! But to be fair, Diana Ross did not share these goals. Mostly all she ever wanted was to look beautiful in dazzling gowns. Much fuss was made regarding her fashion designs, but she only created the five gowns shown in the film’s opening scene. These five designs are bad enough to last any Diva’s lifetime.

Miss Ross was actually quite upset when Gordy fired Richardson. She tried to get out of making the movie, but The Master of Motown was the only being who actually frightened The Main Supreme. Miss Ross was forced to make this movie. It is your duty to man-up and see it!

I put forward the following reasons you should see ‘Mahogany’:

❉ See The Fashion Montage that inspired RuPaul Andre Charles to become RuPaul!

❉ See Miss Ross spin, move, dance and squeal at her peak weight of 35 pounds!

❉ See some of the most God-awful clothing ever created!

❉ Hear the hit song over and over again in various lush interpretations!

❉ Experience Miss Ross as she twirls and screeches for the camera! “Weeeeeee!”

❉ Marvel at the power and beauty of Super Modelling!

❉ Grapple with the endless struggles of boundless beauty and glam!

❉ See Anthony Perkins as The Most Important Fashion Photographer in the World!

❉ See Mr. Perkins’ Moose Knuckle in an endless array of pants so tight he can barely think!

❉ See Norman Bates force Miss Ross to pose, vogue and swim!

❉ See Miss Ross halt a rapist dead in his tracks with but a few snappy words of jive!

❉ See a young Billy D. Williams swoon over Miss Ross’ awesome erotic charms!

❉ Hold on to yourself for the most awkward and uncomfortable homoerotic wrestling matches ever filmed!

❉ Guess who wants that hot oiled gun of love the most? Miss Ross, Billy D., or Norman?

❉ Watch Out for Miss Ross’ one and only brief nude scene! Don’t blink! You might miss it!

❉ Find out if Death can be captured in a fashion shoot!

❉ See some of the worst injury make-up ever put forward in the history of film!

❉ See a Diva pushed to the absolute limit and snarl, bite fabric and howl at her subordinates!

❉ See a Super Model attempt to surrender to the higher calling of American politics!

According to those who should know, Diana Ross prefers to be called “Miss Ross.” Allegedly she refuses to speak of ‘Mahogany’. Allegedly she reserves the right to have any person/persons physically removed far from her sight should they mention her glorious 1975 movie. Somehow the Diva’s odd refusal to offer even a nod to ‘Mahogany’ makes viewing it all the more fun.

As the insanity of ‘Mahogany’ unspools, it is important to note that Miss Ross is sitting somewhere silently judging you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6705/16/2020

"Much fuss was made regarding her fashion designs, but she only created the five gowns shown in the film’s opening scene."

The movie's costume designer must have been told to design similar things, or to let Miss Ross tell him or her what to do.

No professional would have put those godawful schmatas on film without some sort of interference!

by Anonymousreply 6805/16/2020

Let’s talk about what matters:

Irene Sharaff was asked to name the best body she ever dressed and she chose Marisa Mell (who plays Carlotta in MAHOGANY.) She said the Austrian actress had “perfect proportions.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6905/16/2020

I'm the awesomely spectacular runway move shown at the 1:06:20 mark in R15's video - any other bitch would have fallen off that runway, jacked up worse than Christina Crawford on All You Can Drink Vodka Mondays !!! BANG, DING, OW !!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7005/16/2020

[quote]But seriously, didn't this film stop Diana Ross's acting career dead in its tracks? She got off to a roaring start with "Lady Sings the Blues", and then... this.

Despite negative reviews, the movie was a hit at the box office. In NY, the demand was so huge, that some movie theaters had 24 hour showings of it.

Diana was touted for a second Oscar nomination for her performance.

by Anonymousreply 7105/16/2020

It's a shame if Diana doesn't understand that we love her in this movie and we love this movie. I hope she has found some pride for it. It's a 1000x more enjoyable than Madonna's shitastic Evita, for example.

by Anonymousreply 7205/16/2020

[quote]Diana was touted for a second Oscar nomination for her performance.

Many will find that unbelievable but it's true. I remember that. Also. a lot of people don't realize how popular the Ross-Williams pairing was.

by Anonymousreply 7305/16/2020

[quote]It's a shame if Diana doesn't understand that we love her in this movie and we love this movie.

But, she does. I knew someone who is very good friends with Tracie Ellis-Ross. He said that Ellis-Ross told him that Miss Ross is QUITE aware of the gay following that this movie has and she enjoys it. I guess it's almost like Faye Dunaway and "Mommie Dearest." Dunaway HATES that movie but realizes its a project that has kept her relevant among younger generations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7405/16/2020

I liked the movie. It's not a great movie, but still entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 7505/16/2020

What are some of the campy lines / quotes from the movie?

by Anonymousreply 7605/16/2020

I kinda like the Fantasia dancing mushroom number (far left) in R65's link.

by Anonymousreply 7705/16/2020

I wasn’t happy with Tracy dismissing her fashion career to support Brian’s political career. And then I remembered Tracy’s designs, and I thought, “Huh, she may have a point.” Let’s be real, Tracy’s designs are fuuuugly. A disaster of Kabuki-drag (which Ross took the blame for…er, took credit for), her designs are so garish, drag queens would’ve wished for something subtler. Christian’s heroic bid of 20 million lire for her garbage designs is an act of charity that rivals the greatest works of Mother Teresa.

Watching Mahogany 40 years later, it’s clear to see how well intentioned the film was. It’s a strained attempt to make Diana Ross a multi-platform diva – a star of film, stage, screen, and music. Like her biggest artistic rival Barbra Streisand, Ross sought to become an all-purpose diva, a quadruple threat. Instead, it’s become a pale relic and a camp artifact, imprisoned in various cabarets, drag clubs, and gay bars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7805/16/2020

I liked it more than LSTB too. Diana is so JOYOUS in this movie. I wish she had kept at it- she was so wonderful just to watch- which is the key to being a Superstar IMO

by Anonymousreply 7905/16/2020

Do you know where you’re going to???? THE GARBAGE BIN!

by Anonymousreply 8005/16/2020
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8105/16/2020

"Like her biggest artistic rival Barbra Streisand, Ross sought to become an all-purpose diva, a quadruple threat. Instead, it’s become a pale relic and a camp artifact, imprisoned in various cabarets, drag clubs, and gay bars. "

To be fair, that pretty well describes Babs' current followers.

by Anonymousreply 8205/16/2020

"Diana is so JOYOUS in this movie. I wish she had kept at it- she was so wonderful just to watch- which is the key to being a Superstar IMO "

You know, the lack of that sort of joyousness is exactly what dragged down "The Wiz". Sure, she was too old, but she played Dorothy as a drip and a whiner, and single-handedly killed what should have been a fun movie.

Sure, she isn't playing someone who's cheerful and bubbly the whole way through the movie, but she could have at least let the joy out during the musical numbers!

by Anonymousreply 8305/16/2020

BRAVO!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8405/19/2020

Very pretty, no question.

by Anonymousreply 8505/19/2020

[quote]@R74 Also. a lot of people don't realize how popular the Ross-Williams pairing was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8605/19/2020

Okay, it's not an exact copy of R5 but c'mon.... clearly shooting for that same effect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87Last Thursday at 5:44 PM

Let's not pretend Babs' movie career didn't go to shit by the end of 1970s. Yentl was an outlier.

by Anonymousreply 88Last Thursday at 5:50 PM

I could see Ruth Negga in the Ross role. Maybe Alfred Enoch in the Billy Dee Williams role. Kofi Siroboe could play a model/hustler, similar to Sterling St. Jacques.

by Anonymousreply 89Last Thursday at 5:51 PM

Sam Smith could cameo in the Bruce Vilanch part.

by Anonymousreply 90Last Thursday at 5:51 PM

How Tracee Ellis Ross Channels Her Mom, Diana Ross, in 'The High Note' Trailer

Like mother, like daughter.

The trailer for The High Note, which stars Tracee Ellis Ross as Grace, an aging musician who is tired of touring the same show every night, has finally been released.

Watching the teaser, it's clear that Ross (or at least her character, the musician) is in part an homage to her mother Diana Ross, the Motown icon—and not just because she spends the movie lending her own vocals to the songs and obviously looks a lot like her mother.

In fact, The High Note stars not just one but two scions of entertainment royalty. Dakota Johnson—the daughter of Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith, and granddaughter of Tippi Hedren—plays Maggie, Grace's assistant, who has secret aspirations of being a producer and composer.

Supporting roles played by Ice Cube, Kelvin Harrison Jr., Zoe Chao, and June Diane Raphael round out the cast of this rom-com, whixh is helmed by Nisha Ganatra (who also directed Late Night, starring Mindy Kaling and Emma Thompson).

References to Ross's mother's Motown and film career appear to be written all over this movie. And it makes sense, considering the actress has admitted that her mom is her style icon, and that she used to steal her clothes as a teen.

Lady Sings the Blues

Diana Ross received her first (and only) Oscar nomination in 1973, for appearing in the 1972 Billie Holiday biopic Lady Sings the Blues. In the trailer, Johnson's character can be seen tapping a Billie Holiday poster in the halls of a recording studio (for good luck, it seems).

Though this is not directly a reference to Diana via Tracee, it's still a pretty obvious nod to Holiday, Lady Sings the Blues, and chart-topping black female vocalists.

Mahogany

In 1975, Ross appeared in Mahogany, a romantic drama, directed by her then-boyfriend the Motown founder Berry Gordy, about an aspiring fashion-design student who falls for a fashion photographer (Anthony Perkins) and becomes a runway model in Rome.

Mahogany was critically panned (it's best viewed through the lens of camp) but Ross's "Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)," became a number one Billboard hit. Also, the wardrobe in the film was designed by Ross herself.

There is also an iconic photoshoot montage that occurs during Mahogany (and is also referenced in Dreamgirls). In the scene, Ross wears a cream-colored chapeau similar to the one her daughter wears as she steps off a jet in The High Note.

Bonus points for anyone who remembers that Ross's character in Mahogany was named Tracy.

The Supremes

You can't have a movie starring Tracee Ellis Ross as a musician and not reference the Supremes, the chart-topping girl group that made Motown Records (and Berry Gordy) a fortune in the 1960s, and inspired the Tony Award–winning musical Dreamgirls.

The shimmering red dresses are a clear homage to Dreamgirls too, particularly the 2006 film adaptation starring Beyoncé, Anika Noni Rose, Eddie Murphy, and Jennifer Hudson.

Interview Cover

Maybe it's a stretch, but a peek at one of Grace's album covers appears to channel the August 1981 Interview magazine cover that featured Diana Ross photographed by Peter Strongwater and interviewed by none other than Andy Warhol. Just after she released "Endless Love," her duet with Lionel Richie, she spilled some tea on what went down with Motown Records in the '60s and not going clubbing after Studio 54 shut down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91Last Thursday at 6:01 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92Last Thursday at 6:04 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93Last Thursday at 6:08 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94Last Thursday at 6:11 PM

I remember Mary Wilson saying that it was called Mahogany because Diane spent so much time polishing Berry's wood to get him to do the movie for her.

You fucking know it's true.

by Anonymousreply 95Last Thursday at 6:12 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96Last Thursday at 6:13 PM

They all want to be Diana Ross...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97Last Thursday at 6:14 PM

FYI:

How much money is Dionne Warwick worth?

Dionne Warwick net worth: Dionne Warwick is an American singer, actress, singer, actress, television host, and former United Nations Global Ambassador for the Food and Agriculture Organization and the United States Ambassador of Health. Dionne Warwick's net worth is $300 thousand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98Last Thursday at 6:22 PM

Did Miss Ross have any attractive children?

by Anonymousreply 99Last Thursday at 6:26 PM

The beardy son might be quite attractive if he put on 10lbs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100Last Thursday at 6:28 PM

Interesting that her biracial kids are so dark skinned. Even her genes were competitive.

by Anonymousreply 101Last Thursday at 6:34 PM

Yet, Tracee really looks like her father in a Diana wig and some light egyptian.

by Anonymousreply 102Last Thursday at 6:35 PM

R102 Is Barry Geordie her father? I always got confused if she had that child or an abortion?

by Anonymousreply 103Last Thursday at 6:37 PM

No. Richard Silberstein. The middle daughter pictured above (Diana's first child) is Berry's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 104Last Thursday at 6:38 PM

[quote]Did Miss Ross have any attractive children?

OH! ABSOLUTELY!!!

Rhonda Ross Kendrick has a net worth of $20 million.

Tracee Ellis Ross has a net worth of $16 million dollars.

Chudney Ross has an estimated net worth of around $500k

Ross Naess Net Worth $800 thousand

Evan Ross has a net worth of $25 million dollars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105Last Thursday at 6:39 PM

I was 12 when I snuck into a cut-rate, dingy old multiplex triple bill of Mahogany, Mandingo, and Jacqueline Susann's Once Is Not Enough. Can you imagine? Ruined me for life.

by Anonymousreply 106Last Thursday at 6:43 PM

Forget the caftans onscreen, there must have been quite an assortment among your fellow watchers.

by Anonymousreply 107Last Thursday at 6:45 PM

[quote]I'm the batshit wig collection!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108Last Thursday at 6:49 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109Last Thursday at 6:53 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110Last Thursday at 6:55 PM

THE HIGH NOTE

In the trailer Tracee says only 5 women over teh age fo 40 have had a #1 song and only one of them was black.

So I'm assuming 2 of the 5 are Cher and Madonna and the black one is obvioulsy her mom, Diana...

So who are the other two?

by Anonymousreply 111Last Thursday at 8:51 PM

Didn't Mariah hit #1 with the Christmas song last year?

by Anonymousreply 112Last Thursday at 9:51 PM

Actually it was Tina Turner, R111, along with Sia, Cher, Madonna and Grace Slick. Diana was 37 when she had her last #1, Endless Love.

by Anonymousreply 113Last Thursday at 10:46 PM

The clothes were stunning

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114Last Thursday at 11:38 PM

She definitely kept parts of the wardrobe. This ostrich wrap was worn in the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115Last Thursday at 11:53 PM

R110...beautiful photo, wow!

by Anonymousreply 116Last Friday at 7:43 AM

[quote]R5, I'm this outfit which has yet to THIS DAY to make such an entrance!

How sweet...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117Last Saturday at 1:12 PM

Ross looks like she's defiantly smiling through the tears at R115

by Anonymousreply 118Last Saturday at 2:42 PM

R118 Eh, or she has an allergy to feathers more likely.

by Anonymousreply 119Last Saturday at 3:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!