Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's Be And Talk About The Film.... MAHOGANY!

Budget $3.5 million

Box office $5,000,000

Mahogany is a 1975 American romantic drama film directed by Berry Gordy and produced by Motown Productions. Fresh from the success of Lady Sings the Blues, this film served as Diana Ross' follow-up feature film. It was released on October 8, 1975.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184December 17, 2020 3:47 PM

I'M COMING OUT, HUNTYS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 16, 2020 3:20 AM

Love love love Mahogany. One of the best movies ever. Diana was fabulous in those kooky Kabuki outfits. And a crazy bisexual Anthony Perkins. Why does it never air?

by Anonymousreply 2May 16, 2020 3:20 AM

Beautiful in so many ways

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 16, 2020 3:21 AM

Camp fest and very enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 4May 16, 2020 3:22 AM

I'm this outfit which has yet to THIS DAY to make such an entrance!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 16, 2020 3:23 AM

Liked it much better than "Lady Sings the Blues."

by Anonymousreply 6May 16, 2020 3:24 AM

by the way it is not "high camp" - I think they all had serious intent

by Anonymousreply 7May 16, 2020 3:25 AM

Hello

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 16, 2020 3:26 AM

Let’s not and say we did.

by Anonymousreply 9May 16, 2020 3:29 AM

Do you know where you’re going to?

by Anonymousreply 10May 16, 2020 3:29 AM

I remember sitting in the theater and all the sisters screamed when Billie Dee made his first appearance. Girl, he was FINE!

by Anonymousreply 11May 16, 2020 3:30 AM

Didn't Miss Ross do the costume design herself? Just so we know where to affix the blame.

by Anonymousreply 12May 16, 2020 3:30 AM

I'm the inspirational graffiti that informs my designs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 16, 2020 3:31 AM

I would rather discuss Birdseye Maple or Quarter Sawn Oak.

by Anonymousreply 14May 16, 2020 3:32 AM

[quote]Why does it never air?

Here ya go!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 16, 2020 3:33 AM

[quote]Let's Be And Talk About The Film .... MAHOGANY!

Which is it to be, OP? Are we to be the film or talk about it? This thread is at war with itself.

by Anonymousreply 16May 16, 2020 3:36 AM

I remember this gay bar, (The Urge), in NYC that would play the movie sometimes during its Happy Hour. What amazed me is how the bar quieted down and everyone would just become transfixed by the movie which was shown on a huge screen.

by Anonymousreply 17May 16, 2020 3:36 AM

Did patrons drink Remy Martin?

by Anonymousreply 18May 16, 2020 3:40 AM

I'm her titty, making the most of my cameo.

by Anonymousreply 19May 16, 2020 3:42 AM

R15 - thank you!

by Anonymousreply 20May 16, 2020 3:45 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 16, 2020 3:46 AM

Honey....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 16, 2020 3:48 AM

[quote]Camp fest and very enjoyable.

It ranks up there with "Mommie Dearest" in the world of the gays!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 16, 2020 3:51 AM

The music and reigns were gay fabulous. As was the idea of a girl from the projects become a superstar model and designer.

by Anonymousreply 24May 16, 2020 3:52 AM

“Success is nothing without someone you love to share it with.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 16, 2020 3:56 AM

I'm a thinner Bruce Vilanch at 31:30.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 16, 2020 4:06 AM

Billie Dee Williams and Blair Underwood. Yas, yas.

by Anonymousreply 27May 16, 2020 4:10 AM

The rainbow dress

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 16, 2020 4:11 AM

It's the first movie that made me cry. I was so embarrassed, I waited until most of the theater was empty to leave.

by Anonymousreply 29May 16, 2020 4:16 AM

I'm the maudlin "Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)."

Love the movie, but Diana could and did do much better.

by Anonymousreply 30May 16, 2020 4:17 AM

My old man left me with 6 kids, the heat's been off for weeks, and they all got the flu. What are you gonna do about that?

by Anonymousreply 31May 16, 2020 4:20 AM

TWENTY MILLION LIRE!!!!

(Which would have been about $11K in 1975)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 16, 2020 4:22 AM

How many bomb movies was Miss Ross allowed to sink until she was regulated to just appearing on duet theme songs on the soundtrack?

by Anonymousreply 33May 16, 2020 4:28 AM

[quote]Blair Underwood

I think that he would be a great choice if they remade the movie. I wonder who could play the lead? And no, not Beyonce. At times I wonder what did they ever do with all of those "fashions" designed by Miss Ross? Also, does anyone remember the bus scene with Brian (Billy Dee Williams) where one of his workers is thumbing through a magazine and sees the pic in R23? I always wondered who that singer was. He was uncredited.

by Anonymousreply 34May 16, 2020 4:32 AM

I loved it. I saw it on TV one rainy Sunday afternoon 20 yrs after it's original release and fell all back in love with The Boss Ms Ross!

by Anonymousreply 35May 16, 2020 4:45 AM

Blair Underwood is an excellent choice.

As for Miss Ross - Kerry Washington? Solange? Brandy? Does it have to be a singer?

by Anonymousreply 36May 16, 2020 4:47 AM

this film does not need to be remade

by Anonymousreply 37May 16, 2020 4:49 AM

Kerry Washington can only play Kerry Washington.

by Anonymousreply 38May 16, 2020 4:53 AM

Angelica Ross from Pose and AHS.

by Anonymousreply 39May 16, 2020 4:59 AM

I love the theme song. It was a radio hit when it came out. The melody and chords are memorable.

Unril now I didn't realize the movie is considered a camp classic for gays.

by Anonymousreply 40May 16, 2020 5:07 AM

A remake ?..Hmmmm...It's obvious ONLY The Queen BEE could pull something of this magnitude off.... BEYONCE! Actually I'm kinda surprised it hasn't been proposed.

by Anonymousreply 41May 16, 2020 5:09 AM

[quote]BEYONCE!

Perhaps as Aunt Florence.

by Anonymousreply 42May 16, 2020 5:22 AM

Speaking of which, isn't Lady Gaga overdue for a follow-up to "A Star is Born"? Long overdue?

by Anonymousreply 43May 16, 2020 5:28 AM

I'm the batshit wig collection!

But seriously, didn't this film stop Diana Ross's acting career dead in its tracks? She got off to a roaring start with "Lady Sings the Blues", and then... this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 16, 2020 8:14 AM

At least Miss Ross had a boyish, rail thin figure, which made her believable as a top model of that era.

by Anonymousreply 45May 16, 2020 8:55 AM

Except that Ross is about a foot too short to be a fashion model.

by Anonymousreply 46May 16, 2020 9:00 AM

[quote] Except that Ross is about a foot too short to be a fashion model.

Except her character is a designer who modeled her own designs, not a model who designs.

by Anonymousreply 47May 16, 2020 9:56 AM

This and the equally disastrous The Wiz ended Ross's movie career.

by Anonymousreply 48May 16, 2020 10:12 AM

I have learned to love Diana because of you all. Bitchiness and all. So thanks!

by Anonymousreply 49May 16, 2020 10:53 AM

Does this thread even know where it’s going to?

by Anonymousreply 50May 16, 2020 11:08 AM

R38 There’s a thread going on right now perfect for that statement.

by Anonymousreply 51May 16, 2020 11:14 AM

A friend of mine, who doesn't know the work of Kurt Weill, thought "The Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny" was a musical stage adaptation of Miss Ross' "Mahogany".

by Anonymousreply 52May 16, 2020 1:35 PM

R52 Lol, thanks for the chuckle. And may I say, they probably thought the emphasis would have been on the “fall.”

by Anonymousreply 53May 16, 2020 1:49 PM

"The men love me, the women love me, the children love me -- You're just jealous Brian 'cause no one loves you."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 16, 2020 2:21 PM

[quote]I'm the batshit wig collection!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 16, 2020 2:26 PM

What were they thinking

by Joe Riddle | November 1, 2019

This column is about bad movies. The ones that make us wince when we leave the theater. The ones that have us saying: "What were they thinking?"

Mahogany, the second attempt by record mogul Berry Gordy to turn Diana Ross into a film superstar, is not a great film. It isn't even a good film. But it has achieved camp status.

Ross' first film, the biopic Lady Sings the Blues, directed by Sidney J. Furie, was a hell of a lot better. And don't get me started on The Wiz.

Gordy fired Mahogany's original director, Tony Richardson (Tom Jones), and directed the film himself. (IMDb lists a Jack Wormser as a co-director. So perhaps Gordy isn't the only culprit here.) Every cliché in the book was thrown in the screenplay. (By the way, Gordy never directed another film. Neither did Wormser.)

The plot is as old as Methuselah. Poor but plucky girl strives for a better life. Works hard, falls in love, takes her knocks, gets famous but finds that fame is not all that it is cracked up to be, especially when you can't enjoy it with the person you love. Yawn.

This was the same film Joan Crawford was making 40 years earlier, only she had better scripts, direction and co-stars (Clark Gable, Spencer Tracy, Robert Montgomery, William Powell, Gary Cooper, Melvyn Douglas, etc.).

And feminists beware: Tracy/Mahogany gives it all up for the man she loves. (Just as Joan did 40 years earlier.)

To be fair, I have to mention that Mahogany was a first in several respects. It was about a black woman who becomes a fashion icon. Never saw that before. And it was made by a black filmmaker, which opened the door to more black filmmakers. Too bad it wasn't a better film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56May 16, 2020 2:33 PM

[quote]R44 I didn't this film stop Diana Ross's acting career dead in its tracks?

I don’t believe so. It turned a modest profit? She continued to receive offers over the years so it’s not like she was cast out of Hollywood.

She’s an uptight gal who only wanted to see herself presented a certain way. So that ruled out a lot of roles... and there weren’t that many for black actresses in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 57May 16, 2020 3:02 PM

I thought gay men were supposed to innately have better taste in food, design and FILMS.

by Anonymousreply 58May 16, 2020 3:03 PM

always loved the very homoerotic scene of perkins and billy dee fighting over that gun on the floor and perkins' character ON PURPOSE wrapping his legs around dee's character and basically trying to frot and hump him! awesome scene!..

by Anonymousreply 59May 16, 2020 3:07 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60May 16, 2020 3:11 PM

[italic]”Based on a story by Toni Amber...[/italic]

We might have known.

by Anonymousreply 61May 16, 2020 3:21 PM

"couture"

by Anonymousreply 62May 16, 2020 4:29 PM

[quote]"The men love me, the women love me, the children love me -- You're just jealous Brian 'cause no one loves you."

ME! [bold]Ma-ho-ga-NEE![/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 16, 2020 4:34 PM

[quote]I thought gay men were supposed to innately have better taste in food, design and FILMS.

WE DO! This is Miss Ross, hunty!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64May 16, 2020 5:48 PM

Much fuss was made regarding her fashion designs, but she only created the five gowns shown in the film’s opening scene. These five designs are bad enough to last any Diva’s lifetime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65May 16, 2020 6:02 PM

Oh, child! You must see Diana Ross as ‘Mahogany’

17 September 2016 Matty Stanfield

❉ Critics panned it, audiences loved it. We celebrate the insanity that is Diana Ross’s 1975 movie Mahogany.

[quote]‘Mahogany’ is not just any bad movie. It is a cinematic train wreck of epic proportions that somehow works its way all the way back to brilliant. ‘Mahogany’ takes the concept of camp and elevates it to a whole new level. You may not know where you’re going to, but you will not care once this frenzied movie starts.

‘Diana Ross as Mahogany’ debuted in cinemas in October of 1975. Reports of theatre damages resulting from sonic shocks vary dependent upon where one secures information.

Critics panned it. Audiences lined up to see it. The film did especially well in France, though it would appear this was largely due to the fact that many of the French mistook ‘Mahogany’ for satire. Most importantly it inspired several generations of drag queens! Ms. RuPaul was at the head of the line!

Over the years, I’ve had the pleasure of experiencing ‘Mahogany’ at several public screenings. This has given me opportunity to speak with several who saw it upon its initial release. I secured feedback from some of those original audience members:

“Oh, child! We loved it! It was Diana Ross looking fierce!”

“I loved it, but we were laughing at it back then.”

“It is a seminal work of cinematic art! It is not camp! Back off, bitch!”

“Like Miss Ross, I was there for the stunningly beautiful fashion! She designed the clothing!”

“I do not really speak of ‘Mahogany’. What happens in that cinema stays there.”

My family had a copy of the movie’s soundtrack album. It featured the big hit single. The ‘Mahogany’ soundtrack essentially strings together various instrumental versions of that one song along with only a couple of flaccid disco instrumentals in between. But that album cover rocked my gay seven year old eyes! It was fierce! An illustrated incorrectly proportioned Miss Ross is decked out in a flowing gown covered with her character’s name plus a fab pair of long purple gloves.

It would be a decade before the movie was released to VHS. Interestingly, that tape was not particularly easy to locate. But ‘Mahogany’’s release to DVD is the thing of legend. Paramount knew there were buyers waiting for it, but they didn’t do much in the way of remastering other than to ensure it was presented in widescreen format. I pre-ordered my copy. It was due to arrive in 2006! But then something horrific happened. Miss Ross found out that ‘Mahogany’ was about to be sent back into the world.

She panicked and set out to utilise every connection and every last shred of power she had to halt the DVD’s release. For over eight months, the Diva held all of Paramount’s newly printed and packaged DVDs hostage. Luck for all of us, Paramount, Berry Gordy, and Boy George were able to convince Miss Ross to relent. Look, I am not jerking your chain! This is the information that was being passed around. It is allegedly true. Just think – The Boy might be the reason we now have access to ‘Mahogany’.

‘Mahogany’ is not just any bad movie. It is a cinematic train wreck of epic proportions that somehow works its way all the way back to brilliant. ‘Mahogany’ takes the concept of camp and elevates it to a whole new level. You may not know where you’re going to, but you will not care once this frenzied movie starts. This is one cult movie that never lets the viewer down. ‘Mahogany’ is more fun than attending a county fair under the influence of MDMA!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 16, 2020 6:26 PM

Like its battle to the DVD player, the film’s production was not easy. Berry Gordy originally secured Tony Richardson to direct the movie that promised to cement Diana Ross’ standing as The Most Brilliant Star of All Time! It was also expected to push Miss Ross forward as a respected fashion designer! What was Berry Gordy’s goal? The main objective was to make both Faye Dunaway and Yves Saint Laurent envious! But to be fair, Diana Ross did not share these goals. Mostly all she ever wanted was to look beautiful in dazzling gowns. Much fuss was made regarding her fashion designs, but she only created the five gowns shown in the film’s opening scene. These five designs are bad enough to last any Diva’s lifetime.

Miss Ross was actually quite upset when Gordy fired Richardson. She tried to get out of making the movie, but The Master of Motown was the only being who actually frightened The Main Supreme. Miss Ross was forced to make this movie. It is your duty to man-up and see it!

I put forward the following reasons you should see ‘Mahogany’:

❉ See The Fashion Montage that inspired RuPaul Andre Charles to become RuPaul!

❉ See Miss Ross spin, move, dance and squeal at her peak weight of 35 pounds!

❉ See some of the most God-awful clothing ever created!

❉ Hear the hit song over and over again in various lush interpretations!

❉ Experience Miss Ross as she twirls and screeches for the camera! “Weeeeeee!”

❉ Marvel at the power and beauty of Super Modelling!

❉ Grapple with the endless struggles of boundless beauty and glam!

❉ See Anthony Perkins as The Most Important Fashion Photographer in the World!

❉ See Mr. Perkins’ Moose Knuckle in an endless array of pants so tight he can barely think!

❉ See Norman Bates force Miss Ross to pose, vogue and swim!

❉ See Miss Ross halt a rapist dead in his tracks with but a few snappy words of jive!

❉ See a young Billy D. Williams swoon over Miss Ross’ awesome erotic charms!

❉ Hold on to yourself for the most awkward and uncomfortable homoerotic wrestling matches ever filmed!

❉ Guess who wants that hot oiled gun of love the most? Miss Ross, Billy D., or Norman?

❉ Watch Out for Miss Ross’ one and only brief nude scene! Don’t blink! You might miss it!

❉ Find out if Death can be captured in a fashion shoot!

❉ See some of the worst injury make-up ever put forward in the history of film!

❉ See a Diva pushed to the absolute limit and snarl, bite fabric and howl at her subordinates!

❉ See a Super Model attempt to surrender to the higher calling of American politics!

According to those who should know, Diana Ross prefers to be called “Miss Ross.” Allegedly she refuses to speak of ‘Mahogany’. Allegedly she reserves the right to have any person/persons physically removed far from her sight should they mention her glorious 1975 movie. Somehow the Diva’s odd refusal to offer even a nod to ‘Mahogany’ makes viewing it all the more fun.

As the insanity of ‘Mahogany’ unspools, it is important to note that Miss Ross is sitting somewhere silently judging you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67May 16, 2020 6:30 PM

"Much fuss was made regarding her fashion designs, but she only created the five gowns shown in the film’s opening scene."

The movie's costume designer must have been told to design similar things, or to let Miss Ross tell him or her what to do.

No professional would have put those godawful schmatas on film without some sort of interference!

by Anonymousreply 68May 16, 2020 6:39 PM

Let’s talk about what matters:

Irene Sharaff was asked to name the best body she ever dressed and she chose Marisa Mell (who plays Carlotta in MAHOGANY.) She said the Austrian actress had “perfect proportions.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69May 16, 2020 8:25 PM

I'm the awesomely spectacular runway move shown at the 1:06:20 mark in R15's video - any other bitch would have fallen off that runway, jacked up worse than Christina Crawford on All You Can Drink Vodka Mondays !!! BANG, DING, OW !!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70May 16, 2020 9:01 PM

[quote]But seriously, didn't this film stop Diana Ross's acting career dead in its tracks? She got off to a roaring start with "Lady Sings the Blues", and then... this.

Despite negative reviews, the movie was a hit at the box office. In NY, the demand was so huge, that some movie theaters had 24 hour showings of it.

Diana was touted for a second Oscar nomination for her performance.

by Anonymousreply 71May 16, 2020 9:08 PM

It's a shame if Diana doesn't understand that we love her in this movie and we love this movie. I hope she has found some pride for it. It's a 1000x more enjoyable than Madonna's shitastic Evita, for example.

by Anonymousreply 72May 16, 2020 9:12 PM

[quote]Diana was touted for a second Oscar nomination for her performance.

Many will find that unbelievable but it's true. I remember that. Also. a lot of people don't realize how popular the Ross-Williams pairing was.

by Anonymousreply 73May 16, 2020 9:13 PM

[quote]It's a shame if Diana doesn't understand that we love her in this movie and we love this movie.

But, she does. I knew someone who is very good friends with Tracie Ellis-Ross. He said that Ellis-Ross told him that Miss Ross is QUITE aware of the gay following that this movie has and she enjoys it. I guess it's almost like Faye Dunaway and "Mommie Dearest." Dunaway HATES that movie but realizes its a project that has kept her relevant among younger generations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74May 16, 2020 9:24 PM

I liked the movie. It's not a great movie, but still entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 75May 16, 2020 9:28 PM

What are some of the campy lines / quotes from the movie?

by Anonymousreply 76May 16, 2020 10:15 PM

I kinda like the Fantasia dancing mushroom number (far left) in R65's link.

by Anonymousreply 77May 16, 2020 10:35 PM

I wasn’t happy with Tracy dismissing her fashion career to support Brian’s political career. And then I remembered Tracy’s designs, and I thought, “Huh, she may have a point.” Let’s be real, Tracy’s designs are fuuuugly. A disaster of Kabuki-drag (which Ross took the blame for…er, took credit for), her designs are so garish, drag queens would’ve wished for something subtler. Christian’s heroic bid of 20 million lire for her garbage designs is an act of charity that rivals the greatest works of Mother Teresa.

Watching Mahogany 40 years later, it’s clear to see how well intentioned the film was. It’s a strained attempt to make Diana Ross a multi-platform diva – a star of film, stage, screen, and music. Like her biggest artistic rival Barbra Streisand, Ross sought to become an all-purpose diva, a quadruple threat. Instead, it’s become a pale relic and a camp artifact, imprisoned in various cabarets, drag clubs, and gay bars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78May 16, 2020 10:49 PM

I liked it more than LSTB too. Diana is so JOYOUS in this movie. I wish she had kept at it- she was so wonderful just to watch- which is the key to being a Superstar IMO

by Anonymousreply 79May 16, 2020 10:52 PM

Do you know where you’re going to???? THE GARBAGE BIN!

by Anonymousreply 80May 16, 2020 11:02 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81May 16, 2020 11:04 PM

"Like her biggest artistic rival Barbra Streisand, Ross sought to become an all-purpose diva, a quadruple threat. Instead, it’s become a pale relic and a camp artifact, imprisoned in various cabarets, drag clubs, and gay bars. "

To be fair, that pretty well describes Babs' current followers.

by Anonymousreply 82May 17, 2020 4:10 AM

"Diana is so JOYOUS in this movie. I wish she had kept at it- she was so wonderful just to watch- which is the key to being a Superstar IMO "

You know, the lack of that sort of joyousness is exactly what dragged down "The Wiz". Sure, she was too old, but she played Dorothy as a drip and a whiner, and single-handedly killed what should have been a fun movie.

Sure, she isn't playing someone who's cheerful and bubbly the whole way through the movie, but she could have at least let the joy out during the musical numbers!

by Anonymousreply 83May 17, 2020 4:14 AM

BRAVO!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84May 19, 2020 8:23 PM

Very pretty, no question.

by Anonymousreply 85May 19, 2020 8:54 PM

[quote]@R74 Also. a lot of people don't realize how popular the Ross-Williams pairing was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86May 19, 2020 8:59 PM

Okay, it's not an exact copy of R5 but c'mon.... clearly shooting for that same effect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87May 22, 2020 1:44 AM

Let's not pretend Babs' movie career didn't go to shit by the end of 1970s. Yentl was an outlier.

by Anonymousreply 88May 22, 2020 1:50 AM

I could see Ruth Negga in the Ross role. Maybe Alfred Enoch in the Billy Dee Williams role. Kofi Siroboe could play a model/hustler, similar to Sterling St. Jacques.

by Anonymousreply 89May 22, 2020 1:51 AM

Sam Smith could cameo in the Bruce Vilanch part.

by Anonymousreply 90May 22, 2020 1:51 AM

How Tracee Ellis Ross Channels Her Mom, Diana Ross, in 'The High Note' Trailer

Like mother, like daughter.

The trailer for The High Note, which stars Tracee Ellis Ross as Grace, an aging musician who is tired of touring the same show every night, has finally been released.

Watching the teaser, it's clear that Ross (or at least her character, the musician) is in part an homage to her mother Diana Ross, the Motown icon—and not just because she spends the movie lending her own vocals to the songs and obviously looks a lot like her mother.

In fact, The High Note stars not just one but two scions of entertainment royalty. Dakota Johnson—the daughter of Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith, and granddaughter of Tippi Hedren—plays Maggie, Grace's assistant, who has secret aspirations of being a producer and composer.

Supporting roles played by Ice Cube, Kelvin Harrison Jr., Zoe Chao, and June Diane Raphael round out the cast of this rom-com, whixh is helmed by Nisha Ganatra (who also directed Late Night, starring Mindy Kaling and Emma Thompson).

References to Ross's mother's Motown and film career appear to be written all over this movie. And it makes sense, considering the actress has admitted that her mom is her style icon, and that she used to steal her clothes as a teen.

Lady Sings the Blues

Diana Ross received her first (and only) Oscar nomination in 1973, for appearing in the 1972 Billie Holiday biopic Lady Sings the Blues. In the trailer, Johnson's character can be seen tapping a Billie Holiday poster in the halls of a recording studio (for good luck, it seems).

Though this is not directly a reference to Diana via Tracee, it's still a pretty obvious nod to Holiday, Lady Sings the Blues, and chart-topping black female vocalists.

Mahogany

In 1975, Ross appeared in Mahogany, a romantic drama, directed by her then-boyfriend the Motown founder Berry Gordy, about an aspiring fashion-design student who falls for a fashion photographer (Anthony Perkins) and becomes a runway model in Rome.

Mahogany was critically panned (it's best viewed through the lens of camp) but Ross's "Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)," became a number one Billboard hit. Also, the wardrobe in the film was designed by Ross herself.

There is also an iconic photoshoot montage that occurs during Mahogany (and is also referenced in Dreamgirls). In the scene, Ross wears a cream-colored chapeau similar to the one her daughter wears as she steps off a jet in The High Note.

Bonus points for anyone who remembers that Ross's character in Mahogany was named Tracy.

The Supremes

You can't have a movie starring Tracee Ellis Ross as a musician and not reference the Supremes, the chart-topping girl group that made Motown Records (and Berry Gordy) a fortune in the 1960s, and inspired the Tony Award–winning musical Dreamgirls.

The shimmering red dresses are a clear homage to Dreamgirls too, particularly the 2006 film adaptation starring Beyoncé, Anika Noni Rose, Eddie Murphy, and Jennifer Hudson.

Interview Cover

Maybe it's a stretch, but a peek at one of Grace's album covers appears to channel the August 1981 Interview magazine cover that featured Diana Ross photographed by Peter Strongwater and interviewed by none other than Andy Warhol. Just after she released "Endless Love," her duet with Lionel Richie, she spilled some tea on what went down with Motown Records in the '60s and not going clubbing after Studio 54 shut down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91May 22, 2020 2:01 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92May 22, 2020 2:04 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93May 22, 2020 2:08 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94May 22, 2020 2:11 AM

I remember Mary Wilson saying that it was called Mahogany because Diane spent so much time polishing Berry's wood to get him to do the movie for her.

You fucking know it's true.

by Anonymousreply 95May 22, 2020 2:12 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96May 22, 2020 2:13 AM

They all want to be Diana Ross...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97May 22, 2020 2:14 AM

FYI:

How much money is Dionne Warwick worth?

Dionne Warwick net worth: Dionne Warwick is an American singer, actress, singer, actress, television host, and former United Nations Global Ambassador for the Food and Agriculture Organization and the United States Ambassador of Health. Dionne Warwick's net worth is $300 thousand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98May 22, 2020 2:22 AM

Did Miss Ross have any attractive children?

by Anonymousreply 99May 22, 2020 2:26 AM

The beardy son might be quite attractive if he put on 10lbs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100May 22, 2020 2:28 AM

Interesting that her biracial kids are so dark skinned. Even her genes were competitive.

by Anonymousreply 101May 22, 2020 2:34 AM

Yet, Tracee really looks like her father in a Diana wig and some light egyptian.

by Anonymousreply 102May 22, 2020 2:35 AM

R102 Is Barry Geordie her father? I always got confused if she had that child or an abortion?

by Anonymousreply 103May 22, 2020 2:37 AM

No. Richard Silberstein. The middle daughter pictured above (Diana's first child) is Berry's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 104May 22, 2020 2:38 AM

[quote]Did Miss Ross have any attractive children?

OH! ABSOLUTELY!!!

Rhonda Ross Kendrick has a net worth of $20 million.

Tracee Ellis Ross has a net worth of $16 million dollars.

Chudney Ross has an estimated net worth of around $500k

Ross Naess Net Worth $800 thousand

Evan Ross has a net worth of $25 million dollars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105May 22, 2020 2:39 AM

I was 12 when I snuck into a cut-rate, dingy old multiplex triple bill of Mahogany, Mandingo, and Jacqueline Susann's Once Is Not Enough. Can you imagine? Ruined me for life.

by Anonymousreply 106May 22, 2020 2:43 AM

Forget the caftans onscreen, there must have been quite an assortment among your fellow watchers.

by Anonymousreply 107May 22, 2020 2:45 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108May 22, 2020 2:49 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109May 22, 2020 2:53 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110May 22, 2020 2:55 AM

THE HIGH NOTE

In the trailer Tracee says only 5 women over teh age fo 40 have had a #1 song and only one of them was black.

So I'm assuming 2 of the 5 are Cher and Madonna and the black one is obvioulsy her mom, Diana...

So who are the other two?

by Anonymousreply 111May 22, 2020 4:51 AM

Didn't Mariah hit #1 with the Christmas song last year?

by Anonymousreply 112May 22, 2020 5:51 AM

Actually it was Tina Turner, R111, along with Sia, Cher, Madonna and Grace Slick. Diana was 37 when she had her last #1, Endless Love.

by Anonymousreply 113May 22, 2020 6:46 AM

The clothes were stunning

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114May 22, 2020 7:38 AM

She definitely kept parts of the wardrobe. This ostrich wrap was worn in the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115May 22, 2020 7:53 AM

R110...beautiful photo, wow!

by Anonymousreply 116May 22, 2020 3:43 PM

[quote]R5, I'm this outfit which has yet to THIS DAY to make such an entrance!

How sweet...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117May 23, 2020 9:12 PM

Ross looks like she's defiantly smiling through the tears at R115

by Anonymousreply 118May 23, 2020 10:42 PM

R118 Eh, or she has an allergy to feathers more likely.

by Anonymousreply 119May 23, 2020 11:18 PM

Here's a nice story. I received this from a friend of mine who I guess was having a moment of reflection. Very nice;

BABY FASHION EYE- My Story 3

There have been some big introductions that opened my eyes to the world of fashion. You know a little about mom from THE INFLUENCER, but here are a few others. I reconnected with my cousin Karen after more years than I care to mention. She was the person who introduced me to FIT, Fashion Institute of Technology, by giving me a gigantic, glossy catalogue of all the courses and images of campus life. An excellent seamstress, she walked me through my first design experience that same year by sewing and advising me on one of my sketches. At 15, I knew New York City is where I needed to be, but I'd decided to become a fashion designer much, much earlier. From the time I could hold a pencil, I would sit for hours drawing whatever was around me. I graduated to fashion sketching by drawing from Ebony and Essence magazines. These publications represented the best of Black culture with images of

The Pointer Sisters' fabulous vintage style and Diana Ross' starring role in Mahogany among others gracing the pages. These ladies actually changed something within me. I grew to love vintage dressing and the beautiful handwork involved in making the clothing and accessories.

In Mahogany, Diana Ross leaves design class and sketches on the train. That exact moment is when I decided to become a designer. I saved every issue of Essence magazine which became a reference library for me. Ebony is where I was first introduced to Audrey Smaltz; model and infamous commentator for the groundbreaking Ebony Fashion Fair fashion shows. Black models and designers ruled that runway and it was THE annual fashion event for our community. Little did I know that I would meet her and others in those magazines many years later.

by Anonymousreply 120June 17, 2020 11:39 AM

Nice story

by Anonymousreply 121June 17, 2020 1:33 PM

Did you meet Miss Ross? Did she let you look her in the eyes?

Did you ask her why she killed Florence Ballard?

by Anonymousreply 122June 17, 2020 2:07 PM

Wasn’t there a rumor ten years ago that they wanted to do a remake starring Beyonce?

by Anonymousreply 123June 17, 2020 2:14 PM

R122 knows full well that whomever he poses his "look her in the eyes?" question did not do so, else he'd have turned to stone on the spot and wouldn't be posting at the DL today....

by Anonymousreply 124June 17, 2020 2:42 PM

"Except her character is a designer who modeled her own designs, not a model who designs."

Except her character becomes famous as a model wearing clothes by other designers, R47. You're forgetting the famous slapping scene where Sean tells Mahogany to put on the dress she is supposed to wear, not the one she designed (this is after she is already famous as a model) and he tears off that breastplatey necklacey thing. So many layers to this movie!

by Anonymousreply 125June 17, 2020 2:56 PM

Actually you only see Mahagony on walk in one show with her dress which the millionaire French guy buys. She did the face of European Revlon make-up when Sean pushes her in the fountain.

by Anonymousreply 126June 17, 2020 7:11 PM

Nicole Richie is obsessed with this movie and has threatened to remake it for decades. Yet, she’s not an actress

by Anonymousreply 127June 17, 2020 7:23 PM

If Nicole's not an actress, she should star in The Mary Wilson Story.

by Anonymousreply 128June 17, 2020 7:25 PM

[quote]Yet, she’s not an actress

And?

by Anonymousreply 129June 17, 2020 7:27 PM

All those covers Carlotta has supposedly gotten for her by that time and yet there would not be even one fashion spread, R126? Of course she was, at that time, known only as a model, not a designer who models. My thesis stands.

by Anonymousreply 130June 17, 2020 7:34 PM

"In Mahogany, Diana Ross leaves design class and sketches on the train. That exact moment is when I decided to become a designer"

And you didn't change your mind when you saw the atrocious fashions the character actually produced?

Sorry, R120, I loved your story.

by Anonymousreply 131June 17, 2020 8:23 PM

[R106]: There's a comment for the ages.

by Anonymousreply 132June 17, 2020 8:43 PM

You need to twirl in the gold rainbow dress for the effect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133June 18, 2020 7:11 PM

I'm Diana Ross's claim to be 5'5" tall, even though I'm probably shorter! I'm at least six inches too short to be a fashion model, and nobody says a thing!

by Anonymousreply 134June 18, 2020 9:45 PM

MARY!MARY!MARY!

by Anonymousreply 135June 18, 2020 10:20 PM

How dare you impose colonialist, Eurocentric beauty standards on a gorgeous Black woman, R134? You need to check your privilege and stop making ASSumptions.

by Anonymousreply 136June 20, 2020 10:14 AM

I'm Jermaine Jackson's song "The Ideal Girl" and you hear me as Miss Ross spins in the rainbow dress

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137August 20, 2020 1:45 AM

Bad movie. Great thread! Please make sure to ask Miss Ross about this movie next time you see her!! LOL!

by Anonymousreply 138August 20, 2020 1:54 AM

When is Mahogany coming out in Blu-ray?

by Anonymousreply 139August 20, 2020 1:58 AM

Love the theme song. It's like a catchy lullaby. Pretty sure another reason it works is because Ross is upbeat when she sings it. It's like she only knows how to radiate joy in her voice and does it in every single song. Every cover I've ever heard is maudlin (which is probably how it was meant to be sung.)

Michael Masser wrote some awesome fucking songs.

by Anonymousreply 140August 20, 2020 2:10 AM

I’m Mahogany’s architecturally impressive rollercoaster braids!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141August 20, 2020 2:44 AM

LOVE this movie!!! Some of these comments are HYSTERICAL! I'm laughing out aloud!

by Anonymousreply 142August 30, 2020 5:33 PM

[quote] It was released on October 8, 1975.

Datalounge is perpetually October 8, 1975

by Anonymousreply 143August 30, 2020 5:38 PM

I'm this scene toward the end of the film. I'm absolute gold because I'm a tiny glimpse into the REAL Miss Diana Ross!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144August 31, 2020 1:17 AM

"Da fuq you mean I got the wrong number?!! Don't you know who I am? IT'S MEEEE MAHOGANYYYY!!!!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145August 31, 2020 1:24 AM

I’m the accidentally fabulous photo shoot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146August 31, 2020 1:52 AM

Ross gets A LOT of wear out of this coat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147November 21, 2020 9:23 PM

They should remake it with Lizzo.

by Anonymousreply 148November 21, 2020 9:56 PM

So awful that it's fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 149November 21, 2020 10:00 PM

I heard it's just awful and boring - the kind of movie that should be condensed into a Youtube highlights compilation.

by Anonymousreply 150November 21, 2020 10:03 PM

I picture a remake with Zendaya and Miles Heizer. Kofi can play the love interest.

by Anonymousreply 151November 21, 2020 10:22 PM

I am Italy!

by Anonymousreply 152November 22, 2020 12:25 AM

R59: yeah that was a weird scene. I'm sure Perkins loved being all over Billy Dee.

by Anonymousreply 153November 22, 2020 2:38 AM

Perkins liked blonds, didn't he?

by Anonymousreply 154November 22, 2020 2:45 AM

Another jam by Jermaine Jackson from the movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155November 22, 2020 2:48 AM

I was a kid but I remember the movie getting bad reviews but a lot of people, including my mother and her friends, packed the theaters to see it.

by Anonymousreply 156November 22, 2020 3:19 AM

Diane's greatest moment.

Now, ain't that fucking sad?

by Anonymousreply 157November 22, 2020 3:22 AM

It's no SLAVES, Dionne.

by Anonymousreply 158November 22, 2020 3:24 AM

It needs to be added to The Criterion Collection

by Anonymousreply 159November 22, 2020 3:35 AM

Whew r158, talk about a lost movie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160November 22, 2020 3:46 AM

Ahem....

Focus, R160

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161December 3, 2020 1:16 AM

Yes Miss Ross........

by Anonymousreply 162December 3, 2020 1:23 AM

I'm the picture! TAKE ME!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163December 3, 2020 1:29 AM

Well, the "creations" were very.... DIANA ROSS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164December 3, 2020 1:53 AM

VERY DIANA ROSS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165December 3, 2020 1:55 AM

I'm the trumpet that Tracey turned into a horn of plenty.

by Anonymousreply 166December 3, 2020 5:22 AM

I'm the turtleneck sweater. Billy Dee invented me.

by Anonymousreply 167December 3, 2020 5:27 AM

I may be paraphrasing from blurred memory, but I seem to recall a Joan Rivers joke that implied the only thing she thought Whitney Houston was better in than Diana Ross was Mahogany.

by Anonymousreply 168December 3, 2020 5:42 AM

I don’t care if this is already posted, so @ at me.

I love this scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169December 3, 2020 5:57 AM

We got to see Miss Ross' tits.

by Anonymousreply 170December 3, 2020 6:35 AM

R161, how dare she appropriate the creations of another culture? This bitch should have been canceled.

by Anonymousreply 171December 3, 2020 8:36 AM

R171 Also, speaking of concepts that would not be repeated in this era, how unfortunate that the one character who is possibly not straight (Tony Perkins) is also an odious person. His sexuality is only hinted at, but it's an implied negative, something shameful. And how about that party scene when Billy Dee, the straight hero, makes fun of a character who is not gender normative? Interesting times. Plot-wise, and minus the abysmal dialogue, homophobia, corny fashion, and abrupt cutting at the ends of scenes, I thought the film was compelling and entertainiing and could successfully be redone for this time period. The conflict is timeless. Kerry Washington would, of course, play Diana Ross. No one else comes close.

by Anonymousreply 172December 3, 2020 5:43 PM

(CLAP!) (CLAP?) (CLAP!) [standing ovation], R172!

LOL!!!!

by Anonymousreply 173December 3, 2020 6:01 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174December 6, 2020 6:04 PM

If anyone was in the fashion industry back in... I'd LOVE to know what the professionals thought of Miss Ross's designs!

by Anonymousreply 175December 6, 2020 6:15 PM

To those making fun of the hairstyles remember a lot of it is homage to African tribal hairdos. So they had a purpose in consciously black 1970s America...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176December 6, 2020 6:54 PM

And just what was wrong with MY iconic hairstyle?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177December 7, 2020 6:59 PM

He was such a beautiful man ...more so in LSTB

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178December 7, 2020 9:42 PM

R178, what is LSTB?

by Anonymousreply 179December 7, 2020 10:08 PM

Lady Sings the Blues R178. He was just gorgeous, still handsome

by Anonymousreply 180December 7, 2020 11:22 PM

He's fluid now.

by Anonymousreply 181December 7, 2020 11:27 PM

R180, thanks! I honestly had no clue he was in 'Lady Sings the Blues'.

by Anonymousreply 182December 7, 2020 11:29 PM

Who did you think played his role?

by Anonymousreply 183December 7, 2020 11:37 PM

[quote]He's fluid now.

MMPH....

(translation)

He's heading back to familiar territory...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184December 17, 2020 3:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!