Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why Did Mary Trump Return to Scotland for 7 Months?

Mary Trump came to the US in February 1930. When she arrived in the US, she declared her intention to permanently stay & become a US citizen. She was given an immigrant visa. She was a housemaid then nanny to a rich family. She lost her nanny job because of the Great Depression.

“Having obtained a U.S. Re-entry Permit—only granted to immigrants intending to stay and gain citizenship[8][9]—she returned to Scotland on the SS Cameronia on September 12, 1934.[13] She was recorded as living in New York by April 1935 in the 1940 U.S. Census.[13]”

Now how does housemaid afford a round trip ocean voyage in the Depression? I remember my grandmother didn’t want to stay in the US but “I couldn’t afford a ticket to go back.” Yet Mary could afford a round trip ocean voyage after having lost her nanny job. She stayed in Scotland for 7 months.

Why do you suppose she did that? Where do you think she got the money? I’ll post a photo of young Mary, because old Mary is too frightening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93May 26, 2020 5:08 AM

She sold some of her eggs.

by Anonymousreply 1May 14, 2020 11:06 PM

Sounds like Donald has an older half-sibling running around Scotland

by Anonymousreply 2May 14, 2020 11:08 PM

She was a whore. Just like the rest of them.

by Anonymousreply 3May 14, 2020 11:09 PM

[quote] Sounds like Donald has an older half-sibling running around Scotland

Exactly.

I bet he doesn’t wear a mask because he doesn’t want anyone e to get hold of his DNA

by Anonymousreply 4May 14, 2020 11:25 PM

So Dump's mother was a slut. Big surprise.

by Anonymousreply 5May 14, 2020 11:49 PM

She gave blowjobs and collected $2000.75. When she told her best friend how she raise the money, her friend asked who gave the 75 cents, and Mary relied, "all of them"

by Anonymousreply 6May 14, 2020 11:56 PM

She sold other people's blood.

by Anonymousreply 7May 15, 2020 12:00 AM

She returned in the late forties to bury the carcass of the jackal who fathered the idiot we have as president.

by Anonymousreply 8May 15, 2020 12:04 AM

Fucked the husband of the family she was nannying for and then got paid off. Seems pretty cut and dried.

Is there ANY member of that family that isn’t a dumb crazy whore?

by Anonymousreply 9May 15, 2020 12:44 AM

Abortion Doula

by Anonymousreply 10May 15, 2020 1:20 AM

[quote]She was a housemaid then nanny to a rich family.

[quote]Sounds like Donald has an older half-sibling running around Scotland

Whose father paid to send his mistress have her kid back at home.

by Anonymousreply 11May 15, 2020 1:24 AM

No no R8

Our daddy is Satan. Mommy is jackal.

by Anonymousreply 12May 15, 2020 1:24 AM

She probably got the money from the well to do family she worked for. Or they bought the ticket for her.

Either one.

by Anonymousreply 13May 15, 2020 1:28 AM

She should have gotten an abortion. For the one in 1934 too.

by Anonymousreply 14May 15, 2020 1:29 AM

Honestly. What a fucking skank.

by Anonymousreply 15May 15, 2020 1:38 AM

Grifted herself the cash for a ticket. Big mystery solved.

by Anonymousreply 16May 15, 2020 1:57 AM

R14 Donald was born in 1946.

by Anonymousreply 17May 15, 2020 2:02 AM

So there’s a black, gay, flaming, transvestite Demi-Donald, somewhere in Scotland.

by Anonymousreply 18May 15, 2020 2:15 AM

R6 I gather from the amount you quoted that she charged .75 cents a pop.

by Anonymousreply 19May 15, 2020 2:34 AM

Did she go back again in 1946? I don’t believe the fake president was born here.

by Anonymousreply 20May 15, 2020 2:39 AM

She had a child out of wedlock. Likely the father of the child she was nanny to. She was a whore.

by Anonymousreply 21May 15, 2020 5:03 AM

R17

Uhhh...yeah??? 🙄

by Anonymousreply 22May 15, 2020 5:10 AM

With this check I can get away from everything that stinks of grease and bleach!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 15, 2020 5:20 AM

Scottish records of births, deaths and marriages can be accessed easily for online searches (for a fee). If she’d had a child during her return to Scotland she would have been legally required to register it herself in which case I believe journalists would already have found the details. In those times, particularly in island and rural communities which were far from the prying eyes of local government officials, babies born out of wedlock would often be passed on to older sisters, aunts or trusted others to be registered and raised by them. The MacLeods of Lewis looked after their own. Och aye!

by Anonymousreply 24May 15, 2020 6:04 AM

she was a hoor!

by Anonymousreply 25May 15, 2020 6:17 AM

I remember his much publicised visit to Lewis in 2008 when he was pushing the development of his Aberdeen resort. The article attached gives much insight. The island community was deprived and poverty stricken in his mother’s days there and remains poor and isolated. When Mary lived there there would have been twelve of a family under a since extended roof. Trump’s disgust was palpable: he stayed in the cottage for only 97 seconds during his visit.

by Anonymousreply 26May 15, 2020 6:22 AM

Article on 2008 Trump visit to Scottish family home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 15, 2020 6:24 AM

R24, this is very true. My husband’s father was from Lewis, and he had an aunt by marriage whose origins were rather vague. She was left on the doorstep of a family who raised her. She was probably the child of one of their daughters, and they invented a story to avoid the stigma of illegitimacy. This was in the 1920s. It had a very bad impact on her. She had severe mental health issues and needed to be hospitalised many times throughout her life. Mary Trump was out of sync with this society. They would have been shocked by her independent spirit, and especially that she was an international whore with a trick pelvis. She should have been at home making crowdie.

by Anonymousreply 28May 15, 2020 6:28 AM

lol, R19 I believe so, but to imply 75 cents for a pop, a number like $2250.75 (3001* 0.75) would make more sense in R6 post. Otherwise, it would require one client to tip 50 cents (or two clients tip 25 cents...) to get the sum of $2000.75 (2667*0.75 + 0.50)

by Anonymousreply 29May 15, 2020 6:43 AM

R29 She gave discounts to cops and politicians.

by Anonymousreply 30May 15, 2020 6:56 AM

I suggested she was a prostitute in another thread (it's very unlikely that a domestic would meet a wealthy man at a party). But if she were going to have a baby out of wedlock she'd do it away from her family in Scotland in the relative anonymity of New York. Probably she had saved money from when she was working and went back for a funeral or to help out at home. A man who got a woman pregnant in 1930 would not pay her off.

I hate the Trumps but this is a stupid theory.

by Anonymousreply 31May 15, 2020 12:41 PM

There was a time when you had to return to your country of origin after applying for a green card. After the green card was granted, you would then re-enter the United States as a permanent resident. Don't know what the rules are now.

by Anonymousreply 32May 15, 2020 5:31 PM

It happened in Trump's Scottish family before - his mom's sister had a child out of wedlock.

Interesting...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 15, 2020 5:43 PM

Unfortunately, the details of Scottish birth records less than 100 years old are unavailable, so we’ll have to wait til 2035 to find out what happened.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 15, 2020 5:45 PM

You can pay for searches on 5 year timeframe blocks and birth mother’s surname r34.

by Anonymousreply 35May 15, 2020 5:52 PM

Whatever, R35, but you can only see details of birth records that are more than 100 years old.

by Anonymousreply 36May 15, 2020 5:59 PM

Sorry, r36 - the more recent searches may need to be booked in a genealogy centre in Scotland rather than online.

by Anonymousreply 37May 15, 2020 6:26 PM

[quote] If she’d had a child during her return to Scotland she would have been legally required to register it herself

Not if she had the baby at home & gave it to a relative or friend who pretended she had given birth at home.

by Anonymousreply 38May 15, 2020 6:44 PM

Or if they smothered the baby & buried it in the backyard.

by Anonymousreply 39May 15, 2020 6:45 PM

"Honestly. What a fucking skank."

I hate the Trumps but it's kind of silly to call someone a skank for no reason. I don't see why she'd have to go all the way back to Scotland to give birth. Couldn't she have just gone into hiding somewhere in America? That's what a lot of women did back then.

by Anonymousreply 40May 15, 2020 6:48 PM

[quote] I don't see why she'd have to go all the way back to Scotland to give birth. Couldn't she have just gone into hiding somewhere in America? That's what a lot of women did back then.

Exactly. It was very common for domestics to be "seduced" (raped) and then get an abortion or have the baby and give it up for adoption. It makes no sense to go back to Scotland. I'm a historian and I don't buy this theory at all. If anything she'd be less likely to go back if she were pregnant.

My best guess is that she went back to care for some old person who then died. She probably had been able to save some while she was working. It's not like she was a stock broker whose life savings was immediately wiped out when the market crashed.

by Anonymousreply 41May 15, 2020 6:52 PM

A trip to Scotland seems like a lot of trouble. If she was raped, I'm sure she could have easily found someone to do a back alley abortion. I hate the Trumps too, but this does seem like a stretch.

by Anonymousreply 42May 15, 2020 6:54 PM

Trump was born in Scotland. Has anyone actually seen the original long form of his birth certificate?

by Anonymousreply 43May 15, 2020 6:57 PM

I am drawing my own conclusion to this question, none of them good.

by Anonymousreply 44May 15, 2020 7:14 PM

He should release his birth certificate just to be sure.

by Anonymousreply 45May 15, 2020 7:18 PM

Because a German sausage just didn't live up to a good old toss of the caber.

by Anonymousreply 46May 15, 2020 7:26 PM

I don't think she had met the sausage yet in 1934--just a guess.

by Anonymousreply 47May 15, 2020 7:37 PM

It’s the timing, stupid. It’s was for 7 months. It gives it all away.

2 months to know your pregnant in those days. Plus 7 months = 9 months.

what happens in 9 months?

by Anonymousreply 48May 15, 2020 7:38 PM

If only she had stayed, once back in Scotland, and never returned to the U.S. ...

by Anonymousreply 49May 15, 2020 8:17 PM

[quote]A man who got a woman pregnant in 1930 would not pay her off.

Tell that to the late Strom Thurmond. That famous rabid segregationist impregnated the (black) family maid, and gave her money each month. After the maid died, their daughter would go each month to the Governor's mansion, where then-Governor Thurmond would give her money. He also paid her way through South Carolina State, an HBCU in Orangeburg.

I know this because she and my mom were the same age and moved in the same circles of college (Mom went to a rival school in Columbia) and church friends.

by Anonymousreply 50May 15, 2020 8:24 PM

If she had been impregnated by the family’s dad, she would have lost her job.

by Anonymousreply 51May 15, 2020 8:53 PM

She did lose her job, r51, according to OP's first paragraph.

by Anonymousreply 52May 15, 2020 9:03 PM

You bitches are all making this too complicated. She just ran out of her favorite single-malt scotch and needed to stock up.

by Anonymousreply 53May 15, 2020 9:36 PM

OP, what are you implying? Did any of the posters hit on what you were looking for?

by Anonymousreply 54May 15, 2020 10:18 PM

r48, why would she have to go all the way to Scotland to give birth?

by Anonymousreply 55May 15, 2020 10:20 PM

[quote] Tell that to the late Strom Thurmond.

Yes, you're right. But I think an upper middle class white collar worker in New York would be less likely to pay off an immigrant far from home and family. She could simply be dismissed. Thurmond's situation in the Deep South was different.

by Anonymousreply 56May 15, 2020 10:25 PM

So, supposing M'Dear Maid Mary lost her job at some time during 1929 and 1933 (the height of the Great Depression), how did she support herself here in the one+ years leading up to her 1934 departure to Scotland? More money was needed beyond the passage fare.

by Anonymousreply 57May 16, 2020 12:47 AM

The Wikipedia article is pretty interesting. She had older sisters who lived around New York.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58May 16, 2020 12:53 AM

This article says that she went back to Scotland right before she got married. It sounds like she worked during the Great Depression up until around 1933 or 1934 and lived with her sister in Queens during that time

[quote] FRED was almost seven years older, already an established builder and developer who had been a carpenter by trade. Their rarely seen wedding photograph is faded but shows what a strikingly handsome couple they made. No matter how they met or conducted their courtship, it was clearly a love match, and it could be speculated that on her visit to Tong in 1934, she told her parents of her intentions to wed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59May 16, 2020 12:58 AM

This article says her older sister had a child out of wedlock in the US. It would be unlikely that a pregnant Mary would leave her well-to-do sisters in New York to go back to Scotland to have a baby.

[quote] Her arrival in New York was also the direct result of a scandal that struck her family at home – the sister who hosted her in New York, Mrs Catherine Reid, gave birth out of wedlock in Scotland in 1920.

[quote] Mary Anne had two other sisters resident in the USA at the time, Mrs Christina Matheson and Mrs Mary Joan Pauley, but it was to Catherine’s home in Long Island that she made her way, not for a holiday but as a base to find work.

[quote] The “holiday” account has always been met with considerable scepticism in Mary Anne Trump’s home area of Tong near Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis, where her departure at the age of 17 has long been held to be simple emigration.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60May 16, 2020 1:00 AM

Sorry, the sister had a child in Scotland, then emigrated.

[quote] Mary Anne’s beloved elder sister, known as Kate or Katie, emigrated to the USA after she gave birth to an illegitimate child called Annie in Lanarkshire on December 5, 1920.

[quote] It is difficult in this modern age to convey just how absolutely scandalous and shameful such a birth occurring to an adherent of the very strict Free Presbyterian Church in a tight-knit community would have been.

[quote] No name is given on the birth certificate for Annie’s father, and Kate went home to Tong before emigrating to New York in 1921, leaving her daughter to be brought up as part of the Macleod household. In New York Kate married a butler from Scotland, George A Reid, in Manhattan on March 26, 1926 – George would later give Mary Anne away at her wedding to Fred Trump. Four years later she was joined by her immigrant sister Mary Anne.

[quote] The future Mrs Trump was following a well-trodden family path, for two other elder sisters had emigrated to the USA in the 1920s – Christina Matheson and Mary Joan Pauley, who had been in domestic service when she married an English footman, Victor Pauley, who was with her when Mary Joan acted as Matron of Honour to her sister at her marriage to Fred Trump.

by Anonymousreply 61May 16, 2020 1:03 AM

I lived in Scotland for a year. Beautiful place, but very conservative.

by Anonymousreply 62May 16, 2020 1:08 AM

[quote] it could be speculated that on her visit to Tong in 1934, she told her parents of her intentions to wed.

She could’ve written. She didn’t need to cross the ocean twice to tell them that.

by Anonymousreply 63May 16, 2020 1:28 AM

Why should we care if she disappeared to Scotland for 7 months? She was an evil bitch from hell that spawned a monster.

by Anonymousreply 64May 16, 2020 2:21 AM

R56, Strom Thurmond might have looked and sounded like a straight peckerwood, but he came from money, the sort of Southern landed gentry somewhere between middle class and Bourbon.

by Anonymousreply 65May 16, 2020 3:03 AM

R27's article contains the very unlikely statement that. "His mother Mary Anne - who left Tong in 1930 aged 18 for a holiday in New York, met a local builder named Trump and stayed." Poverty-stricken crofters did not go on holiday to NY. It sounds like the Guardian swallowed the Trump Inc press release whole.

by Anonymousreply 66May 16, 2020 6:49 PM

Some of the people posting in this thread are thick in the head. The rich man who knocked her up sent her to Scotland to have the baby so that the baby would be in Scotland and not in New York. If it was born in New York, it would be an American citizen and wrapped around that man's neck for the rest of his life. But if the baby was born a Scottish citizen, the American father was home free.

by Anonymousreply 67May 16, 2020 7:04 PM

[quote] Mary Anne states she will be living with her sister Mrs Catherine Reid, 3520 6th Avenue, Astoria, Long Island.

The article at R60 refers to that address. Google Maps shows no 6th Ave in Astoria. Mysteriouser and mysteriouser.

by Anonymousreply 68May 16, 2020 7:11 PM

R67 It just seems like a lot to go through to send her to Scotland, just get a back alley scrape for Mary on Friday so she can be back to work on Monday scrubbing toilets and prostituting.

by Anonymousreply 69May 16, 2020 8:03 PM

If she agreed to the trip to Scotland but did not agree to a back alley abortion, then the trip is easier.

Mr. Man just has to have his secretary buy the ticket and deliver it to his ho.

by Anonymousreply 70May 16, 2020 8:19 PM

[quote] Poverty-stricken crofters did not go on holiday to NY.

At least two of her sisters were already living in New York. She went to New York with the intention of staying and working like her sisters had done, although in later years the Trumps claimed she had gone to the US on holiday.

by Anonymousreply 71May 16, 2020 8:22 PM

[quote] in later years the Trumps claimed she had gone to the US on holiday.

Ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 72May 16, 2020 8:23 PM

Why is it ridiculous? It is detailed in the links to the National I posted. And it is also discussed in this story in Politico.

[quote] At this stage, the story gets murky. Numerous newspaper reports over the years have described Mary Anne as being “on holiday” when Catherine took her to the party in New York where she met real estate developer Fred C. Trump. (By then, Mary Anne “spoke English with a heavy burr,” Gwenda Blair writes in her book The Trumps.) But islanders scoff at the idea of a young Lewis woman taking a sojourn on the other side of the Atlantic. “She would never have had the money for that,” says Kenny MacIver, an avuncular Gaelic-language journalist who grew up a few miles from Tong. “My father never had a holiday. We simply didn’t understand what the concept was.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73May 16, 2020 9:00 PM

The notion of the holiday in NY is ridiculous for a woman who didna hae a pot ta piss in.

by Anonymousreply 74May 16, 2020 9:13 PM

Right. Mary was on holiday and Melania is a supermodel. Superdupermodel?

Every word he utters is a LIE.

by Anonymousreply 75May 16, 2020 9:28 PM

Mary and Melania both got Einstein green cards.

by Anonymousreply 76May 16, 2020 10:13 PM

[quote]She was a whore.

Well, they do say men marry their mothers.

by Anonymousreply 77May 16, 2020 10:17 PM

Mary's immigration process seems to have been rather involved but clearly the US officials on both sides of the Atlantic were helpful and encouraging.

by Anonymousreply 78May 16, 2020 10:21 PM

r76, was Mary also a brilliant architect who is fluent in French and Italian?

by Anonymousreply 79May 16, 2020 10:30 PM

Mary was living the dream. As one of those National articles say, she came here as an under house parlor maid and one of her children is the Prez who hates that his mother was a servant girl.

by Anonymousreply 80May 16, 2020 10:33 PM

She was the scullery maid.

by Anonymousreply 81May 16, 2020 11:58 PM

I’m goen with Mr Uddson & Missez Bridges. They’re openin a guest house & they’re old, so when they die I can take it over!

by Anonymousreply 82May 17, 2020 12:42 AM

I agree with r8. I suspect satanism.

by Anonymousreply 83May 17, 2020 1:08 AM

R8 and R38 wasn't that a bit The Omen? Save the the amiule was the feemale.

by Anonymousreply 84May 17, 2020 1:25 AM

Scots were mean, miserly people & nutty Presbyterians. I live the old Hitchcock movie 39 Steps where the crofter’s wife dreams of going out on a Saturday night in town, while her husband is a mean, cheap, bible thumping bastard. Scots-Northern Irish were the original Deplorables in the US.

by Anonymousreply 85May 17, 2020 1:29 AM

Scots (5m in that country; 95% white) are half protestants of various kirks and churches, half RC. They are now all prone to sickness and early death because those left behind are the weak. The good ones like Mary got away as soon as they could; she and the others were enterprising Scots and a sad loss to Scotland: in the 17th century they went to England when James VI took over the English crown and later they emigrated to escape Scotland including the Hanoverian clearances.

by Anonymousreply 86May 17, 2020 1:41 AM

A wonderful scene with the wonderful Peggy Ashcroft starts at 28:15 in this film. “The crofter’s wife.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87May 17, 2020 1:46 AM

Yes R87 most here saw it when it first came out. Some here were even engaged in its productions 85 years ago. R u nu here?

by Anonymousreply 88May 17, 2020 1:55 AM

[quote]She probably got the money from the well to do family she worked for. Or they bought the ticket for her.

I believe she worked for the Carnegie family as a domestic. This makes sense, in that Carnegie was Scottish and proud of it. I can see him hiring a new immigrant from the old country.

Suspicions that she was a part-time hooker are a little off. At the time, an affluent young man would rent a girlfriend - this was between a nice girl worthy of marriage and a pretty girl with no prospects who received gifts and other remuneration. Very different than today. Certainly at the Carnegie mansion someone as pretty as Mary could have caught someone's eye. Maybe even the less than worthy Fred, himself. I could never square the whole met at a dance thing with her position in life.

Yet, a disreputable slumlord marrying a pretty nanny, favored by the Carnegie family. That I can see.

by Anonymousreply 89May 17, 2020 2:20 AM

[quote]Google Maps shows no 6th Ave in Astoria. Mysteriouser and mysteriouser.

r68, the street names in Queens were changed in the late 1920s or early 1930s. 6th Avenue in Astoria became the present 35th Avenue

by Anonymousreply 90May 17, 2020 2:21 AM

R90 Finally a true DLer R90 Thank you . How did you know all this town planning/zoning from 1920 (I assume you were back then only the JUNIOR town clerk)?

R89 is totally full of shit, like Carnegie who was a cunt. Carnegie even thought he was beloved of his employees who he worked to death. Carnegie was a narcissist and a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 91May 17, 2020 6:45 AM

[r91] My family lived in Queens and years ago I received from one of my mother's cousins an old street map that was printed shortly after the changeover. The directory listed both the original and new street names. Your comment piqued my curiosity and so I checked it out.

by Anonymousreply 92May 18, 2020 1:47 AM

[quote] Scots (5m in that country; 95% white) are half protestants of various kirks and churches, half RC.

Less than 10 percent of the country goes to church.

[quote] They are now all prone to sickness and early death because those left behind are the weak.

What the fuck? Are you English?

by Anonymousreply 93May 26, 2020 5:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!