Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Wisconsin is Fucked!

No covid protections for Wisconsin. Wisconsin's Supremes in their infinite wisdom have struck down the governor's stay- at- home orders. Are other states in line for this type of ruling?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162June 4, 2020 5:58 AM

People are sick of the quarantine bullshit and I don't blame them. The virus isn't going anywhere. Scientists are saying it could be here forever just like HIV. So are we supposed to social distance and stay in the house for the rest of our lives? Hell no. It's about time we just go out and live our lives. The virus is going to do whatever it wants to anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1May 14, 2020 2:46 AM

They also just voted for a deplorable in the special election. Of the three states that flipped (PA,MI) I have the least hope in WI turning back blue this November. We might need Arizona to pull out that Biden win

by Anonymousreply 2May 14, 2020 2:47 AM

I hope every old white man on that court dies choking on his own phlegm.

by Anonymousreply 3May 14, 2020 2:47 AM

R2 or Deplorables were counting the votes.

by Anonymousreply 4May 14, 2020 2:48 AM

Isn't the Wisconsin Supreme Court and legislature all Republican?

by Anonymousreply 5May 14, 2020 2:49 AM

More like Wisconsin will be great while Illinois withers and dies in a chokehold.

We’ll see how your MARY!!! prediction turns out.

by Anonymousreply 6May 14, 2020 2:50 AM

Wisconson is one of the most politically corrupt States...it makes Georgia look legit. Imagine if Scott Walker were still Governor,

by Anonymousreply 7May 14, 2020 2:50 AM

R1 deplorable troll.

by Anonymousreply 8May 14, 2020 2:52 AM

[quote]People are sick of the quarantine bullshit and I don't blame them. The virus isn't going anywhere. Scientists are saying it could be here forever just like HIV.

typical R1 rancid troll

by Anonymousreply 9May 14, 2020 3:11 AM

Damn, Republicans are really going in for the Let's Kill as Many Voters by November as Possible strategy.

by Anonymousreply 10May 14, 2020 3:20 AM

Maybe when they all die, we can turn it into the first Gay only state

by Anonymousreply 11May 14, 2020 3:22 AM

The smug expression of the woman holding the placard in OP's link pretty well sums up who we are now.

Its all about individual rights but taking no responsibility for the greater good.

by Anonymousreply 12May 14, 2020 3:24 AM

And neighboring Minnesota, a solidly blue state with a Democratic governor, just announced that it is easing many of its restrictions.

If states reopen and then things get ugly (which they will), will anyone be willing to back into lockdown again?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 14, 2020 3:30 AM

LOL and people think Wisconsin will turn blue in 2020.

That state is in freefall .

by Anonymousreply 14May 14, 2020 3:30 AM

Buried down in the article is the fact that the WI Supreme Court heard oral arguments by video conference. Let's see how quickly the court reopens to the public after this ruling.

by Anonymousreply 15May 14, 2020 3:30 AM

Where’s good old Aaron Rodgers? I thought he said he considers Wisconsin his home? So why isn’t he in this lovely state instead of a beachfront mansion in Malibu?😏

by Anonymousreply 16May 14, 2020 3:31 AM

[quote] LOL and people think Wisconsin will turn blue in 2020.

Formerly "blue" Michigan is going the same way.

Straight to hell!

by Anonymousreply 17May 14, 2020 3:34 AM

WI Supreme Court is wise and rational. Let stupid old, fat, diabetic snowflakes be cooped up in their dark houses alone. Fuck them. Healthy and young people have to work to feed themselves. If you are afraid to die, just stay home yourselves, old fatties. Enough is enough with this covidiocy insanity.

by Anonymousreply 18May 14, 2020 3:36 AM

Actually, Wisconsin is very purple, has been a long time. There is definitely a chance for 2020, assuming any of us are still alive by November.

by Anonymousreply 19May 14, 2020 3:37 AM

It's time to move on with our lives. We can't stay locked up in our homes forever just because a few people might die. Wisconsin has it right!

by Anonymousreply 20May 14, 2020 3:47 AM

I'm not sure what r2 is talking about. WI just voted out a deplorable justice who had been appointed by Scott Walker, and voted in a progressive woman. Also, counties and cities still have orders in place. Bars and restaurants are still closed in Milwaukee and Madison. We were already in the process of easing restrictions. We have the only out gay Senator, who just won reelection. We voted Walker out. Wisconsin is trending blue. We just need to work on Ron Johnson and the state legislature.

by Anonymousreply 21May 14, 2020 3:50 AM

No Hitler for the 🧀 heads

by Anonymousreply 22May 14, 2020 3:54 AM

Time for a new edition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 14, 2020 3:55 AM

Please stop equating the coronavirus to HIV. You can go along with your daily life and never become HIV infected. The transmission of the coronavirus is much more deadly because, except for quarantining, you can get it from someone you just stood next to.

by Anonymousreply 24May 14, 2020 3:55 AM

[quote]WI just voted out a deplorable justice who had been appointed by Scott Walker, and voted in a progressive woman.

That's what makes it purple, that the elections go back-and-forth.

by Anonymousreply 25May 14, 2020 4:00 AM

I think PA will be red in November. People are over the Governor and his ....sidekick

Do as I say, not as I do..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 14, 2020 4:01 AM

[quote] We can't stay locked up in our homes forever just because a few people might die.

God, I am so sick of hearing this bullshit. Nobody is suggesting that we stay locked up "forever." Of course there will come a time when we will need to reopen. All we're saying is that maybe it would be better to wait until the number of cases and deaths is dropping consistently, and until testing is more widely available (which, interestingly enough, is what the Trump White House's own guidelines --the ones Trump now ignores -- had recommended). And we're not talking about "a few people" who "might" die. We're talking about tens of thousands who almost certainly will die.

by Anonymousreply 27May 14, 2020 4:08 AM

This virus is going to have it's way with humans no matter what. Lock down or not makes no difference. Hate the Chinese for causing it, not the people who want freedom.

by Anonymousreply 28May 14, 2020 4:08 AM

[quote]Please stop equating the coronavirus to HIV.

Yes we can: same family of enveloped RNA virus, easily preventable, and most patients would die from pneumonia. And 80,000 deaths from diabetes every year won't scare fattards and force them to change their unhealthy lifestyle, why should COVID-19?

Face mask - alcohol - hand washing - gargling. But like 90% of old fat diabetics farts like Trump and Pence would rather die than being seen in public with a face mask and washing their hands every few hours. Well, fuck them. Just fucking isolate themselves for ever and ever for all I care, but I just have to work and earn my livelihood. If the economy is in total collapse, how will you survive in the end, fatties? Don't be so fat, old and stupid.

by Anonymousreply 29May 14, 2020 4:13 AM

R26 links to right-wing site JustTheNews, run by conservative commentator John Solomon. (But, of course, there are no right-wing trolls on DL.)

by Anonymousreply 30May 14, 2020 4:13 AM

R27 my body, my choice. You can’t force people to be locked down for months, if you don’t want to leave your house, stay in. That’s your choice. But most of us need to get out, it’s been too long...especially for a virus with like a .025 percent death rate.. probably less than that if more people are tested.

by Anonymousreply 31May 14, 2020 4:13 AM

R30 I didn’t want to link to the N.Y. post. But I can do that to appease you dear..

Regardless of what site I link to - considering dL isn’t allowing links to most anything this week - it’s absolutely disgusting of Levine to require nursing homes to take covid patients - resulting in thousands of nursing home deaths - while making sure her mom got out of a nursing home.

My aunt got covid working in a long term care facility here in PA. Levine has been completely negligent with our most vulnerable population and should resign immediately - she’s a pediatrician who specializes in kids mental disorders and shouldn’t be calling the shots in PA.

People are fed up, and you can be certain the longer this goes on, the greater the chance of Pa going for Trump in November. Wolf is pushing things way to far. They are already collecting signatures for his impeachment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 14, 2020 4:19 AM

The virus is always going to be here with us. There may never be a vaccine. What do people want? To never leave the house again or contact another human being as long as they live? People act like the lockdowns should go on and on until there are zero cases in the world or until there is a cure that may never exist. Enough is enough.

by Anonymousreply 33May 14, 2020 4:19 AM

[quote] But most of us need to get out, it’s been too long

R31, which country are you living in where you're not allowed to leave your house? I don't believe any states in the U.S. are forcing people to stay indoors. If you need to get out, get out. Lie out in the sun in your backyard. Go for a walk. Go to the grocery store. Take your car for a drive. Nobody's stopping you.

But don't force other people to go back to work if they don't yet feel safe, just to satisfy your selfish interests.

by Anonymousreply 34May 14, 2020 4:19 AM

[quote]God, I am so sick of hearing this bullshit. Nobody is suggesting that we stay locked up "forever." Of course there will come a time when we will need to reopen. All we're saying is that maybe it would be better to wait until the number of cases and deaths is dropping consistently

It only takes one remaining contagious person to start the next pandemic wave. Since you can't eradicate the virus and since there is no vaccine and no cure, there will never be a time when it's safe. That is indeed forever.

by Anonymousreply 35May 14, 2020 4:20 AM

No we can't R29.

by Anonymousreply 36May 14, 2020 4:23 AM

[quote] there will never be a time when it's safe.

It's not all or nothing (safe vs. unsafe). There are varying degrees of safety. Nobody here or anywhere else has suggested that we should stay locked up until the risk drops to zero.

So I'll turn your argument around: Are you suggesting that because there will always be some risk, there never should have been any restrictions at all?

by Anonymousreply 37May 14, 2020 4:25 AM

The times I have been to the grocery store there were probably more people without mask than with mask. I have no idea why people won't wear masks, but I want to tell them it is to protect others, which is a concept they probably wouldn't understand.

by Anonymousreply 38May 14, 2020 4:28 AM

Another challenge to humanity. Which humanity will acclimate itself to, just as it has acclimated itself to all the other, and in some cases far more deadly, challenges.

[quote]So I'll turn your argument around: Are you suggesting that because there will always be some risk, there never should have been any restrictions at all?

R37 Walking out your door every morning is fraught with a variety of "risks". And yet those you are perfectly willing to accept as part of daily life. Neither are a restrictive set of diktats placed on a captive populace to mitigate those risks.

by Anonymousreply 39May 14, 2020 4:32 AM

R34 if you dont want to go back to work, then stay home. But don’t force the rest of us to be in lockdown. I’m in PA, nothing but “life sustaining” business is allowed to be open. I’m also in Bucks County - a county that is in “red phase” which means it will be July/August until things slowly open up. Wood hasn’t only moved the western portion of PA to “yellow phase” he keeps moving th goal post every week in when the state will open. They have removed park benches here, kids play grounds are roped off in police “caution tape” - a woman was fined for taking a drive because she wasn’t going anywhere essential - she told the officer she needed to go for a drive for her mental health. Yes, unless you want to spend everyday going o Walmart or a grocery store - you’re pretty much forced to stay home here. NJ finally is opening up - they have 140k cases. PA is quadruple the size of NJ with 50k cases yet we remain closed. It makes zero sense, people are fed up with Tom Wolf.

by Anonymousreply 40May 14, 2020 4:33 AM

R37 - there are always risks. There is a risk every time you go for a drive, you can get into an accident. You could walk by someone who has TB - which is highly contagious, you could get shingles - which complications of shingles can cause death in 1 in 1000 elderly people.

There is always a risk,

The response to the virus is way out of proportion to the risk of the virus.

It makes no sense anymore.

Open up and let’s get on with life.

by Anonymousreply 41May 14, 2020 4:37 AM

The Wisconsin SC's ruling wasn't ruling on the medical merits of lockdown. It was ruling on whether or not under Wisconsin law the state HHS secretary has the authority to issue an emergency decree for a lockdown extension. He does not. In Wisconsin, it's up to the legislature to decide.

by Anonymousreply 42May 14, 2020 4:39 AM

Everyone get out and die for your economy!

by Anonymousreply 43May 14, 2020 4:42 AM

[quote] if you dont want to go back to work, then stay home. But don’t force the rest of us to be in lockdown. I’m in PA, nothing but “life sustaining” business is allowed to be open. I’m also in Bucks County - a county that is in “red phase” which means it will be July/August until things slowly open up.

That's funny, because I'm also in PA (Cumberland County), which is also a "red phase" area. I'm sorry that life has been so miserable for you. It sounds absolutely unbearable. Most of the rest of us are doing just fine. I've been able to drive around without any problems. And I've been able to go outside. In fact, I've seen plenty of people going for a walk or getting some sun. Tomorrow, I am going to my workplace -- though only for an hour to grab some belongings. But I do feel sorry for you. Your life sounds awful.

by Anonymousreply 44May 14, 2020 4:44 AM

The awful choice they feel we face — between endless lockdown or reckless reopening — needs to be understood for what it is: the failure of our political leaders to create a safer, middle path.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 14, 2020 4:52 AM

[quote]The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimated Monday that 36,750 people were killed in the U.S. in traffic crashes in 2018.

And that still didn't stop you old fat farts from driving! Well, fuck the covid-19.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 14, 2020 4:59 AM

[quote]Everyone get out and die for your economy!

Still better than dying from starvation for some old, fat strangers somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 47May 14, 2020 5:00 AM

I agree with the posters who say that the country needs to open up. Employment could be as high as 20 percent, people don't have food to eat or pay their rent. We have allowed ourselves to cower in fear and paranoia. No longer.

by Anonymousreply 48May 14, 2020 6:07 AM

When the WI Supreme Court ceases to shelter behind their video conferencing and gets back to the courtroom and the CEOs leave their bunkers to stand shoulder to shoulder with their employees then and only then will we know it's safe to go back to work.

by Anonymousreply 49May 14, 2020 6:17 AM

Finally a thread with some other rational thinkers about risk. If a government "stay at home" order is lifted, people can still stay at home if that's what they think is best. Stay at home served a purpose for a time (slow the spread so the hospitals are not overwhelmed). They're not. So some of us are ready to get back to life and take precautions that are commensurate with the risk. Something like 95-98% of people who contract this virus survive. If those were cancer survival rates people would think of cancer as being substantially beaten and not much of a risk.

by Anonymousreply 50May 14, 2020 6:55 AM

Ron Johnson and Donald Trump are very popular with populists in Wisconsin. Walker and his minions were not. Still quite a large amount of red leaning voters here. Underestimate at your peril.

by Anonymousreply 51May 14, 2020 7:34 AM

Oh, let's be Real it's Wisconsin- it's all about access to their liquor. The only thing that keeps the inhabitants going through their miserable winters is snowmobiling from one lousy Booze Shack to another. Trust me on this one: it's the only state where the Lutherans spend more time in Bars than Church.

by Anonymousreply 52May 14, 2020 7:59 AM

That is exactly what it is like. Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 53May 14, 2020 8:09 AM

[quote] R28: This virus is going to have it's way with humans no matter what. Lock down or not makes no difference. Hate the Chinese for causing it, not the people who want freedom.

I hate stupidity, and this is a good example of it. Hurry up and die, you’re not going to get any smarter.

by Anonymousreply 54May 14, 2020 8:47 AM

The US in 2020: Half the country are idiotic, braindead, selfish cunts who take the rest of the nation as hostages. I would like to mean-spiritedly point out that the US have gotten the pandemic management that they deserve, based on their politics and mismanagement of elemental government services, but I feel too sorry for all those who are not idiots and have to suffer nevertheless.

I can only hope that all the selfish idiots die a painful death, slowly suffocating—lonely and forgotten—in some overcrowded hospital hallway. And the rest of their egotistical hillbilly broods can overdose on opioids for all I care.

by Anonymousreply 55May 14, 2020 9:07 AM

There is plenty of time for Wisconsin to see the wrongness of their actions before the election. And they have nobody but themselves to blame. I just hope they finally see the Republicans as the death cult it has become in order to please the 1% and their push to re-open the economy.

Yes, Republican Party = Death Cult

by Anonymousreply 56May 14, 2020 9:32 AM

Well, this certainly pits the DNC Committee in an interesting position.

by Anonymousreply 57May 14, 2020 11:28 AM

pits-puts

Initially, the convention was scheduled for July, then moved to August.

by Anonymousreply 58May 14, 2020 11:30 AM

Florida and Georgia are open and the rates are dropping there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59May 14, 2020 11:43 AM

Rolling my eyes at the court and the freedumb at all costs attitude but on the other hand Wisconsin only reported three deaths yesterday. Maybe they're close enough to containing it that they will be basically okay. I'm more worried about densely populated areas like Chicago where it seems to be spreading a lot more. I suspect deplorables are going to largely escape the wrath of coronavirus and it will make them even bigger assholes.

by Anonymousreply 60May 14, 2020 11:51 AM

Apparently it bears repeating yet again: We are only in this situation because Trump FAILED in his duties as president to implement a smart, science-based plan in response to the virus threat of which he was briefed at least as far back as January. And since he continues to FAIL as president and only shows concern for himself, the states are forced to implement a patchwork of different solutions that will ultimately fail, as this is something that needs to be coordinated on a national level. The go-back-to-work vs keep-people-from-dying is a FALSE choice, when the real solution is to remove the incompetent president and get someone in charge who will work with scientists on a real solution.

by Anonymousreply 61May 14, 2020 11:56 AM

Take me to Church R55.

by Anonymousreply 62May 14, 2020 11:56 AM

Elections have consequences

by Anonymousreply 63May 14, 2020 11:59 AM

[quote]Wisconsin is Fucked!

Hardly.

Deaths per 100,000

NY: 140.3

Wisconsin: 7.2

by Anonymousreply 64May 14, 2020 12:01 PM

In the end there is no economic growth if people are afraid to go out and mix it up. And judging by polls the vast majority of people are fearful. A public health crisis and the economy are tied to one another. Like it or not.

by Anonymousreply 65May 14, 2020 12:02 PM

Scary

by Anonymousreply 66May 14, 2020 12:09 PM

You can't fight against the pandemic when your economy is in tatters. End of.

[quote]I hate stupidity, and this is a good example of it. Hurry up and die, you’re not going to get any smarter.

And this is an example of stupid people who can't really fathom their stupidity and keep deluding themselves that everyone who gets infected with the virus will die. Well, we don't.

by Anonymousreply 67May 14, 2020 12:39 PM

When things get out of control, and they will, who do you think theses "freedom" fighters will blame ? THE GOVERNOR.

THE GOP IS A DEATH CULT

There will be no jobs when there is no patronage. There will be no jobs when the workers die. Let the morons out. When they end up in the hospital on a respirator...UNPLUG THEM. There is more than one way to cull the herd.

by Anonymousreply 68May 14, 2020 1:18 PM

It will be interesting how business and companies try to do damage control when they are reported to have spread the virus amongst their workforce and their consumers.

by Anonymousreply 69May 14, 2020 1:27 PM

The stay at home policies were to keep the hospitals and healthcare systems from being overloaded.....which could result in high death counts not only from corona virus but also from heart attacks/strokes etc..that can’t receive emergency treatment due to hospitals being on overload....we will know in the next month what the spread is going to be like from the re-openings......but the one thing I would bet on is that the USA will become a no go zone for international tourism.....as the rest of the world has been so much more successful in containment that they will not want their citizens to come to the USA. I wouldn’t be surprised if Americans face 14 day quarantines when traveling overseas.

by Anonymousreply 70May 14, 2020 1:39 PM

Purple is only the outcome of reds and blues stuck within the same state lines. In states like Wisconsin and Iowa, the increasing gap between largely rural reds and largely urban blues--with all the accompanying discord and conflict--will only get worse in the years ahead.

by Anonymousreply 71May 14, 2020 1:41 PM

The real reason why it will very likely get worse? Republicans in charge will try their best to hide how bad it really is (just look at Florida). Their response will not help the citizens. These citizens will be on their own having to fend for themselves while the Republicans use every high almighty lie and distraction to push responsibility and blame away from them.

by Anonymousreply 72May 14, 2020 1:48 PM

R40 is a right wing outrage troll, posting crap from a right wing site and a right wing Murdoch rag (and no, BITCH, NY POST is not acceptable, but you know that) to pretend that one issue that no one else is talking about means everyone hates the Governor of PA (notice the bitch troll just repeats that, offers no polling or evidence) and that means Biden will lose the state (again, the bitch troll offers no evidence, polling or connections between this fake-ass "scandal" and the Biden campaign). FF and ban this bitch troll, and go about your day.

by Anonymousreply 73May 14, 2020 2:11 PM

At this point, there is really going to be no way to stop this level of stupid until it burns through these states in brutally horrific fashion.

It just may be the price that's going to have to be paid. Like so many rethugs, these people only learn or have a change of heart when something affects them personally.

It seems that that is what it's going to take, scorched earth devastation.

by Anonymousreply 74May 14, 2020 2:22 PM

Let the right wing libertarian nutbags “go back to work” and catch it and die. Less bullshit and stupidity for us to deal with. It’s pointless to argue with them. Don’t bother.

by Anonymousreply 75May 14, 2020 2:23 PM

We've been hearing that Texas and Florida are going to be fucked for weeks now and nothing. I really don't think we're going to see a second wave similar to 1918. It's just going to be a steady March to here immunity from here on in.

by Anonymousreply 76May 14, 2020 2:27 PM

Rates aren't dropping in Georgia and Florida coroners were ordered to stop reporting coronavirus as a cause of death.

by Anonymousreply 77May 14, 2020 2:29 PM

They could’ve sent us all $20,000 checks from that “stimulus” scam and people would be happy to stay at home.

by Anonymousreply 78May 14, 2020 2:33 PM

R77 journalists have a way of picking up on that by comparing average deaths in past years to the current death rate and so far Florida has been unremarkable. Florida has ~500 excess deaths. For comparison, NY has ~5000 excess or unreported deaths.

by Anonymousreply 79May 14, 2020 2:35 PM

[quote]as the rest of the world has been so much more successful in containment that they will not want their citizens to come to the USA. I wouldn’t be surprised if Americans face 14 day quarantines when traveling overseas.

What world are you living in?

The countries that the US does the most tourism with, the UK, France, Italy Spain...have done much worse at containment.

by Anonymousreply 80May 14, 2020 2:37 PM

[quote]Rates aren't dropping in Georgia and Florida coroners were ordered to stop reporting coronavirus as a cause of death.Rates aren't dropping in Georgia and Florida coroners were ordered to stop reporting coronavirus as a cause of death.

Bullshit.

Excess deaths are being kept track of. So far it's Cuomo's NY that's being dishonest.

by Anonymousreply 81May 14, 2020 2:39 PM

[quote] Excess deaths are being kept track of.

What does that mean?

by Anonymousreply 82May 14, 2020 2:43 PM

so it's basically pro-choice vs pro-life?

by Anonymousreply 83May 14, 2020 2:46 PM

I live in Pa as well, and havent een a single thing that R40 claims to be living through. I have been on the road every single day since this all started (essential worker) and have never been pulled over even once, nor has anyone I work with. Im less than 15 miles from cental Philly. Maybe your cops just have too much time on their hands.

by Anonymousreply 84May 14, 2020 2:46 PM

[quote]We've been hearing that Texas and Florida are going to be fucked for weeks now and nothing.

That's because the facts don't fit the hysterical dooms-day narrative: deaths yesterday in Texas - 38, Florida - 47, NY - 115

by Anonymousreply 85May 14, 2020 2:47 PM

[quote]I have been on the road every single day since this all started (essential worker) and have never been pulled over even once, nor has anyone I work with.

Because R84 didn't experience it personally then it can't be true.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86May 14, 2020 2:53 PM

As soon as the court ruling came down, Wisconsinites headed for the bars.

One restaurant owner plans on implementing certain safety precautions like checking people's temperatures when they come in. Great...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87May 14, 2020 2:53 PM

R87: Never have I been more proud to live in Illinois. Them fat pigs can have their Mississippi North.

by Anonymousreply 88May 14, 2020 2:58 PM

R81 I don't think Cuomo is being dishonest at all. I think NY was overwhelmed. De Santis is being stupidly dishonest because it's not a number that's easily hidden.

I think everyone needs to chill on this. The 'pro-open' groups have to understand that storming capitol buildings with assault rifles doesn't help make your case. Neither does fighting things like masks when you can't socially distance.

And the 'keep it shut' groups need to understand that people are going to work now and have been going to work during the outbreak and rates have still come down. The people attending to Home Depot's garden department or paint department haven't died, so why would someone working a mom of pop greenhouse? Or a boutique? Or a florist? Or a dry cleaner?

Gyms, hairdressers and restaurants will be the test cases or the"spigot' that Cuomo refers to in his daily briefings. If cases begin to rise because of these contact type of businesses then you close the spigot. That has always been the plan and we won't know if works or not if we don't try.

by Anonymousreply 89May 14, 2020 2:59 PM

Western Pennsylvanian here. Far more stores were closed here than other states. Liquor stores, which are State run, were closed but not in most other states. Dry cleaners are another example.

I was able to take a walk in the park or walk to a store without being stopped. I will say there did seem to be some confusion on what you could and could not do. I pretty much had the park to myself and in speaking with my neighbors most thought you weren't allowed out except for necessities.

by Anonymousreply 90May 14, 2020 3:08 PM

Hilarious to hear “The virus will be here forever” from asshole Trumpsters. Your orange Jesus told us the virus was going to disappear in April with the warm temperatures “like magic.”

Twats, devoted to twatism.

by Anonymousreply 91May 14, 2020 3:24 PM

Careful R90. If what happened to R40 didnt happen to you then you 're a liar! Gee, R86, I didnt say that it never happened to anyone (just people that I know) and said that the cops had too much time on their hands. But since you wznt to be willfully obtuse, go ahead.

by Anonymousreply 92May 14, 2020 3:25 PM

R92, r40 was correct in a number of things. PA has been more restrictive in what businesses can remain open. And playgrounds were roped off here too, but parks were open for walking, biking etc. In fact, the mayor's office went to far as to dump sand in a skate park so it couldn't be used. But bikeshare stations remained open and the bikes not cleaned.

by Anonymousreply 93May 14, 2020 3:37 PM

I just read CNN's article about the Wisconsin supreme court decision, and I have to admit I agree that we have to have some controls on how much power we give an individual (governor) to declare an emergency and then just essentially become a King. And before you accuse me of being a right wing loon or a Trumpster, i am neither. But on a purely legal basis there has to be system of checks and balances in place to prevent a governor from declaring something an emergency all on his own.

by Anonymousreply 94May 14, 2020 3:41 PM

Checks and balances, R90? What are those?

by Anonymousreply 95May 14, 2020 3:43 PM

When there is an emergency situation, you have to act quickly and deal with the consequences later. One doesn't wait for a legislature to convene. By the time you have rounded them up to meet, the patient is already dead on the floor.

by Anonymousreply 96May 14, 2020 3:52 PM

In this case, maybe the fearful gunlovers could all be knocked out by the virus?

by Anonymousreply 97May 14, 2020 3:57 PM

[quote] When there is an emergency situation, you have to act quickly and deal with the consequences later. One doesn't wait for a legislature to convene. By the time you have rounded them up to meet, the patient is already dead on the floor.

Well no shit. But when does it end? Only when the governor says so?

by Anonymousreply 98May 14, 2020 3:58 PM

Like in any sensible democracy, there should be law already in place (having gone through parliament) that explicates which executive decisions a government is allowed to make in the case of a pandemic for the sake of public health. Such restrictions should always come with a predetermined time limit, after which their necessity has to be reevaluated. Any decision about the prolongation of such restrictions should be contestable before a court of law.

by Anonymousreply 99May 14, 2020 4:20 PM

Anyone from NY who tested positive this week but doesn’t have symptoms who’s willing to take a trip to Wisconsin? All you have to do is visit Walmarts, Targets, McDonald’s, Burger King & churches

by Anonymousreply 100May 14, 2020 4:33 PM

[quote] Well no shit. But when does it end? Only when the governor says so?

Well, duh. Under normal circumstances a governor listens to his advisors who tell them when it's time to go back to normal. And those advisors have all kind of actual and scientific knowledge about the crisis.

With Trump it's all "fuck people! Economy is more important" and the Republicans follow suit, because they rather work for their rich donors than for all citizens.

by Anonymousreply 101May 14, 2020 4:35 PM

Sorry, a governor listens to his advisors who tell HIM when it's time to go back to normal.

by Anonymousreply 102May 14, 2020 4:36 PM

It’s so clear that Trump and core people in his administration are interfering with the “science” involved. They want a certain outcome, so they fire scientists, sideline doctors, manipulate reality like they manipulate the media circus, Trump is undermining himself, and he doesn’t even know it. People with money are not going to keep throwing it into an arena where they have no security because it’s all just manipulated nonsense. The dumb money may be in the market, but the smart money will either get out, or stay out. Without that money, the economy will collapse.

So, the best Trump can do is just keep the economy running as best he can to get through the election. The best he will be able to do is postpone a depression until after the November election, but he might not be able to even keep the economy functioning reasonably well until then. Because the virus will continue to be worse than he predicts, which has been true the entire time. He’s completely delusional, and trying to bully a virus.

by Anonymousreply 103May 14, 2020 4:48 PM

Long looks like the product of a human and a toad. I was waiting for him to zap a fly with his tounge.

by Anonymousreply 104May 14, 2020 4:50 PM

If you don't want to be trapped in your house for the rest of your days like a prisoner, you must be a Trump supporter. I didn't know that.

by Anonymousreply 105May 14, 2020 5:03 PM

My guess is that 95% of those of you who are saying open everything up are reasonably young and healthy.

The problem is the selfish mother fuckers who won't wear masks or follow social distancing. I'd be much more inclined to say open things if I knew everyone out there was wearing a mask and would stay at least 6 feet away from me. I wouldn't go to places that are normally very crowded but in most places there is no reason people can't stand 6 feet or more from each other. Lines will not move any slower if everyone is at least 6 feet apart. Selfish, soulless, people are more of a reason not to open than the virus.

by Anonymousreply 106May 14, 2020 5:44 PM

R106 I'm middle GenX and I favor a phased reopening.

I think the issue was one where the governors could have gotten ahead of reopening optics before it turned into an ugly, lawless free for all. I think people would have accepted loosening restrictions on some businesses where it made sense (florists, dry cleaners, garden etc) vs every business will stay closed or all at open at once. But no timeline and vague guidelines that governors were giving didn't make for a compelling reason to keep it all shut.

Using Beaver County in PA as an example. Every county around it is moving into "yellow". Beaver cannot move into yellow because they haven't met the guidelines in decreases in cases and deaths...BUT the increase in cases and deaths are tied to one nursing home and not the general public. People there are quite unhappy as you can imagine.

by Anonymousreply 107May 14, 2020 5:58 PM

I don't think there will be lockdowns again, no matter what happens. As soon as they attempt lockdowns again in western democracies, some people will riot.

by Anonymousreply 108May 14, 2020 5:58 PM

Michigan has traditionally been a purple state, with the metro Detroit area leaning left to moderate while the rest of the state leans moderate to right. We have our Timothy McVeigh style berserkers and De Vos style shitstains, but Michiganians for the most part are reasonable and in the rare instances when the Michigan Democratic party bothers to run a strong candidate like Debbie Stabenow or Gretchen Whitmer, they usually win. I wouldn't say Trump has a lock on this state.

by Anonymousreply 109May 14, 2020 5:59 PM

R44 Bucks County is completely different from where you are. I guess you’re use to not having a social life - most people actually have one that they miss including myself.

Your life pre covid must really be awful for you to enjoy lockdown for 2 months..

by Anonymousreply 110May 14, 2020 6:02 PM

[QUOTE] Hate the Chinese for causing it, not the people who want freedom.

shove up ass

by Anonymousreply 111May 14, 2020 6:03 PM

There are a SHIT TON of hard core deplorables in WI. Sorry for those in Madison & Milwaukee and as the gov said all the deaths fall to the Republican aholes there.

by Anonymousreply 112May 14, 2020 6:11 PM

we all have it. get sick or die from it. end (am I paranoid or right?)

by Anonymousreply 113May 14, 2020 6:29 PM

[quote]What do people want? To never leave the house again or contact another human being as long as they live?

You've just described about 75% of DLers.

by Anonymousreply 114May 14, 2020 6:32 PM

R113: I'd say you're incoherent. Have another pop, babe.

R105: Cut the crap. You can leave your house right now if you so desire. But if, as I suspect, you're looking for someone to yell at you so you can say "See what you made me do? You FORCED me to vote for Trump so I can leave my house", then allow me to fill the role. Fuck you, now go cry and vote for him.

Happy now, bitch?

by Anonymousreply 115May 14, 2020 6:38 PM

R93 - this was the scene in Doylestown (Bucks County) yesterday. Never thought I would see a 6 foot Trump flag in Doylestown, let alone 2 of them.

But this is where we are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116May 14, 2020 6:41 PM

Haha tRump is going to lose. The economy will not bounce back by November. He gonna lose bad.

by Anonymousreply 117May 14, 2020 6:43 PM

If ISIS launched a terrorist attack that killed 5,000 Americans tomorrow, these are the same people who would basically put the Constitution in a paper shredder and create an Orwellian superstate regardless of the economic costs. But with this virus they’re like, “Hey life is dangerous. You take a risk every time you get in your car to drive to the Piggly Wiggly. More people die from the flu every year. The government is tyrannical and should be overthrown if it tells me I can’t go to my weekly bowling league for a couple of months.”

by Anonymousreply 118May 14, 2020 6:47 PM

R116 More than a third of Doylestown went for Trump in 2016. Not hard to believe you'd see two Trump flags.

by Anonymousreply 119May 14, 2020 6:51 PM

Can someone explain to me the protesters who wear masks? I mean isn't that like eating a cheeseburger as you hold a "Fur is murder" sign?

by Anonymousreply 120May 14, 2020 6:52 PM

R115 Have another pop, babe? wtf...who talks like that?

by Anonymousreply 121May 14, 2020 6:59 PM

R199 doylestown is super liberal. I find it hard to believe 2/3rds voted for trump in 2016, when the entire county of bucks showed Clinton winning the county by only a couple thousand votes. Northampton township was more of a tie with Clinton and trump - doylestown not so much.

by Anonymousreply 122May 14, 2020 7:03 PM

Interesting data at Worldometer today ....Texas has not reported any new cases or deaths

by Anonymousreply 123May 14, 2020 7:05 PM

R119 - nope, youre wrong. In 2016 2/3rd’s voted for Clinton

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124May 14, 2020 7:06 PM

Texas doesn't fully report until the end of the day. And the Worldometer isn't entirely accurate. Yesterday it had NY with 115 deaths and today it shows 113. The numbers from both days don't match what NY reported, which was higher. I think today was 156.

by Anonymousreply 125May 14, 2020 7:16 PM

[quote] including myself.

*eyeroll*

by Anonymousreply 126May 14, 2020 7:17 PM

R121: I do, to drunks like you. Don't want to be talked to like that? Then don't post like you're drunk. That simple.

by Anonymousreply 127May 14, 2020 7:17 PM

R127 you sound mad. take a pill

by Anonymousreply 128May 14, 2020 7:23 PM

R128: Not mad, just explaining how the world works to a wino is all. I don't care for pills, so I think I'll have a cookie instead. You just need to put down the glass, dear. And learn how to capitalize when starting new sentences.

by Anonymousreply 129May 14, 2020 7:29 PM

OMG he DIDN'T CAPITALIZE when starting a new sentence! When he posted a quick thought on a fucking internet forum! The horror!

by Anonymousreply 130May 14, 2020 10:18 PM

I'm a proponent of carefully re-opening things but some of these fucking cheeseheads in Wisconsin are idiots. Crowded bars is a very bad idea at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 131May 15, 2020 12:11 AM

In an ideal situation people would've used the lockdown to educate themselves what to do to keep themselves and the people around them save and use these safety measures for that very reason after the lockdown phase has ended until a proper vaccine has been developed and distributed.

It just makes common sense for local communities to look out for each other and try to maintain a safe environment where life (including the economy) can go back to a semi-normal until the crisis is resolved (with a proper cure and vaccine being available).

Instead, Republicans fucked it all up and deliberately created a hostile environment where people risk their own and other people's health for a death cult agenda.

by Anonymousreply 132May 15, 2020 6:19 AM

Della, you OK girl?

by Anonymousreply 133May 15, 2020 6:36 AM

One week down.

by Anonymousreply 134May 22, 2020 2:55 AM

Someone get me a big bottle of brandy and some cheese! It’s Wisconsin quarantine time. When it’s over I will only visit the supper club with mama in matching hazmat suits.

by Anonymousreply 135May 22, 2020 3:03 AM

[quote]But don't force other people to go back to work if they don't yet feel safe, just to satisfy your selfish interests.

Notice it isn't the people on the frontlines of this who are demanding to get back to work, it's the asshole customers and employers/CEOs demanding it.

by Anonymousreply 136May 22, 2020 3:19 AM

[quote]We might need Arizona to pull out that Biden win

Babe, you always needed Arizona.

Wisconsin and Iowa were never in play. They are red states.

by Anonymousreply 137May 22, 2020 3:30 AM

59,000 trans grandmas of color are already DEAD R134! Have you no shame?

by Anonymousreply 138May 22, 2020 4:40 AM

R138 thinks people get it on day one and immediately know it.

by Anonymousreply 139May 22, 2020 5:04 AM

Two weeks...

by Anonymousreply 140May 28, 2020 2:42 PM

Can anyone pull the stats? Has Wisconsin’s infection or hospitalization rate gone up, down, remained the same?

This is very interesting stuff.

by Anonymousreply 141May 28, 2020 2:55 PM

Biden is up 2-3 points in Wisconsin, now. Wait until Trump nukes California, or whatever stupid, mentally insane thing he does next.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142May 28, 2020 2:58 PM

Wisconsin breaks records...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143May 28, 2020 3:10 PM

On the rise

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144May 28, 2020 3:12 PM

Still no cases in Micronesia.

by Anonymousreply 145May 28, 2020 3:25 PM

Wisconsin - the state that recalled, then re-elected Scott Walker.

Wisconsin - come for the stupid, stay for the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 146May 28, 2020 4:02 PM

Well, r145, Wisconsin should move to Micronesia!

by Anonymousreply 147May 28, 2020 5:00 PM

JFC.

Records? WTF is wrong with these people?

I’m in complete agreement with those who say if you disregard the orders for social distancing, masks, etc., which are put in place for everyone’s protection, you give up your right to a hospital bed and medical care.

by Anonymousreply 148May 28, 2020 5:01 PM

R148, I feel the same, but as I read it, I’m reminded of people who want others to forfeit care for diabetes, obesity, HIV, lung cancer, etc. people make a lot of dumb choices.

That said, I’d rather we do something about the the proliferation of fake news. Invented by Fox as a business model, perfected by Trump, it’s a menace. Free speech is a necessity, but we can’t allow Trump or McConnell to lie, repeatedly and with impunity, without consequences. Too many people do not even know that Fox is an unreliable propaganda outlet.

Between con men like Trump, Russian bots, opportunists, fascists, and others, we need to do something. Democracies cannot function if facts and truth is irrelevant. How would you like to be on trial where the jury voted about how they “felt” about the case, and didn’t even give lip service to base their findings on the facts.

by Anonymousreply 149May 28, 2020 5:27 PM

Think of all the cheese that will die. Oh, well. Bye cheese.

by Anonymousreply 150May 28, 2020 5:57 PM

i’d love to see the bank accounts of these freedom folks. I doubt they’ve saved. It must keep them up at night wondering where the money will come from. Which is sad. Still It’s only been 2 months! Why didn’t they save? Most of these folks seem to be middle age! Will they still pretend they’re middle class & not poor? I also get a kick out of the freedom folks protesting about their lack of freedom while being out & about. Also: what’s changed? What have we learned since it hit here? Masks & handwashing & everything else up for debate (6ft or 15ft distance? 72 hours on surfaces or now not a real problem? you can’t get it again- no ! Maybe you can! etc) We do have to go back to work but give me some solid info first. These are just random thoughts. No shade on anyone.

by Anonymousreply 151May 28, 2020 7:04 PM

[quote] I feel the same, but as I read it, I’m reminded of people who want others to forfeit care for diabetes, obesity, HIV, lung cancer, etc. people make a lot of dumb choices.

Touché, r149, touché.

Well played, sir.

by Anonymousreply 152May 28, 2020 7:09 PM

Well....whaddya know?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153May 29, 2020 1:24 PM

That's mostly spin. We're still moving in the right direction. The spike in new cases are still in the same heavily populated communities still under local lockdown orders. Most of the north can count on one hand or less the number of cases it has/had. We're fine in the rural areas.

by Anonymousreply 154May 29, 2020 1:33 PM

R154 - for now. People travel all the time - particularly in the summer months.

What gets me is that - IF the trend continues upwards and it does show that it may have been premature - right-wingers will then say, "Now is not the time to politicize this. Everyone was in agreement to open up."

Wisconsinites have an obesity problem - they ought to be careful.

by Anonymousreply 155May 29, 2020 1:43 PM

In the tourist areas near me people are being asked not to visit at this time. State Historical sites are all closed. Our local library is staying closed until at least July. Not every bar and restaurant are reopening. Its very piecemeal. We'll see come July/August how things really go. I still think the heat and humidity will slow it down.

by Anonymousreply 156May 29, 2020 1:54 PM

It's been three weeks.

by Anonymousreply 157June 3, 2020 9:11 PM

Deaths per 1 mil population:

Wisconsin: 106

NY: 1,550

OP, I think it's NY that's fucked.

OP, even considering difference in populationI think it's NY that's fucked.

by Anonymousreply 158June 3, 2020 9:25 PM

^Sorry for the typo, ignore last line.

by Anonymousreply 159June 3, 2020 9:26 PM

But what about cows, R158?

New York has 19,651,127 humans and 1,450,000 cows for a ratio of .07 humans to cows and ranks #41

Wisconsin has 5,742,713 humans and 3,350,000 cows for a ratio of .58 and ranks #12 people to.cows

Considering the difference in population maybe if NYC could import a few million cows they wouldn't be so fucked!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160June 3, 2020 10:12 PM

I don’t know why I love r160 so much, but I do.

by Anonymousreply 161June 3, 2020 10:48 PM

I love this too r160!

by Anonymousreply 162June 4, 2020 5:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!