Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"The Virgin Suicides", released 20 years ago this past month

What did you think then, and now? I saw it around 2003 just before I went into high school, and it had a profound impact on me. It's still one of my favorite movies, and, along with "Lost in Translation," one of only two Sofia Coppola movies that I think are actually worth a shit. I read Jeffrey Eugenides' book my freshman year of college, and it too ranks among my favorite novels—every page is immensely lyrical and atmospheric, and I think Sofia Coppola did a very good job of carrying that dreamlike haziness into the film version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2020 2:51 PM

Loved it. This is the only Sofia Coppola move I like. It like a dream on film

by Anonymousreply 1May 3, 2020 4:45 AM

Looking now, I've realized the trailer above was a teaser (I think), which is not nearly as good--this is the superior trailer I remember

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 3, 2020 4:45 AM

Great movie, accomplishes one of the hardest things in that it creates a total world view and mood.

by Anonymousreply 3May 3, 2020 5:21 AM

My favorite was slutty Lux

by Anonymousreply 4May 3, 2020 5:24 AM

The only time I found Josh Hartnett sexy

by Anonymousreply 5May 3, 2020 5:27 AM

I liked it too. Bought the great soundtrack at the late great J&R.

by Anonymousreply 6May 3, 2020 5:30 AM

For some odd reason I never got around to seeing this. But I like the soundtrack (by Air) and Kirsten Dunst.

by Anonymousreply 7May 3, 2020 5:36 AM

Why should i care about a bunch baby Karens who basically killed themselves out of boredom?

by Anonymousreply 8May 3, 2020 5:37 AM

Knowing what we know about James Woods now, I’m creeped out about what might have happened on set.

by Anonymousreply 9May 3, 2020 5:45 AM

I remember thinking Hartnett was sexy in the movie, but I just looked up the movie on IMDb and nearly mistook him for Clea DuVall.

by Anonymousreply 10May 3, 2020 5:46 AM

I remember the hype when this movie came out. But I didn't watch it until I was in my 20s. I remember really liking it. I've always wanted to read the novel.

by Anonymousreply 11May 3, 2020 9:50 AM

Love the movie, love the soundtrack.

by Anonymousreply 12May 3, 2020 9:53 AM

Did you care about the Starkishas in Precious, R8?

by Anonymousreply 13May 3, 2020 7:40 PM

It was just on TCM and it really was well done. The boys were such good kids and the casting was perfect.

What creepy thing did James Wood do?

by Anonymousreply 14September 16, 2020 6:20 AM

Loved it.

I think Sofia Coppola is almost as good as Malick. So disappointed to see that she’s drifted into the mommyblogger-type lane.

by Anonymousreply 15September 16, 2020 10:56 AM

The curious thing is that Sofia decided she wanted to be a director after reading the novel

by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2020 11:08 AM

Loved it and also the song Playground Love by air

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 16, 2020 11:13 AM

if there is a more boring, insipid actor than dunst, name her....

by Anonymousreply 18September 16, 2020 11:20 AM

R18 = a jealous Kristen Bell.

by Anonymousreply 19September 16, 2020 11:35 AM

I love all Sofía Coppola’s movies. But this may be her best. Marie Antoinette and The Beguiled are also great.

by Anonymousreply 20September 16, 2020 11:59 AM

I loved the sad dreamy quality of the whole thing; it's hard to imagine there was a time when James Wood was a credible actor. And Josh Hartnett - sex on a stick in that movie!

by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2020 12:03 PM

I always confuse this with Inventing the Abbotts. Josh Hartnett and Billy Crudup are both totally my type. Who cares about the sisters?

by Anonymousreply 22September 16, 2020 12:44 PM

The novel, with its first person plural point of view, is haunting. The movie perfectly fine, but doesn’t come close to the book’s quality.

by Anonymousreply 23September 16, 2020 1:03 PM

Admit it, the movie is a complete bore

by Anonymousreply 24September 16, 2020 2:05 PM

I love this movie. I read the book first, and didn't think they would be able to transfer it to film, but it really worked. One of my favorite book adaptations.

by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2020 2:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!