Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

We’re Here on HBO

(I searched DL for it and didn’t see a thread, so don’t bark at me if this is duplicative!)

Has anyone seen this? I ran into it by chance last night and noticed Bob the Drag Queen and others from Drag Race in it. The show is shot like a documentary, and the episode I saw was in Gettysburg, where the drag queens (mostly out of drag) interview local residents about perceptions of LGBT people and drag. They intervene in a few people’s lives to bring them into the drag world for a new experience.

I liked the spirit and the approach and the direction of it a lot.

The only thing I do not get, and it’s not only depicted on this show, is the implication that being gay and dressing in drag are on and the same.

The show featured a young high school graduate who lives with his family and applies makeup in secret. It ends with his big drag debut and his family accepting him for who he is.

It featured a woman who is a former “god hates fags” type of antichrist christian who is now reformed and apologizes to her lesbian daughter by doing drag.

And the message throughout is that gay people should be accepted for who they are, and who they are is people who wear makeup.

I’m totally cool with drag queens and people who wear makeup. But I am gay and I’ve never wanted to wear makeup. Or a wig. And certainly not furniture foam padding to change my shape.

This isn’t a trans thread or a trans issue. Drag is gay-gay not trans-queer. Generally speaking, a major distinction between transgenderism and drag queens is that drag queens present as men most of the time. And so it makes me feel some kind of way to see these great interactions with potentially homophobic people informed by the implication that being a gay mean necessarily means wanting to dress in drag. I just don’t get that.

by Anonymousreply 22May 25, 2020 7:49 PM

It was very well done, they even managed to keep Eureka and Shangela in check and not have them chewing scenery.

by Anonymousreply 1April 26, 2020 1:54 PM

I never wanted to wear make-up either, OP. Never have, never will.

by Anonymousreply 2April 26, 2020 1:55 PM

R2 Do you feel out of onscreen representation? I’m not a lesbian, just a gay guy.

Maybe just being gay isn’t new and surprising enough to ensnare people’s attention for ongoing dialogue. I enjoy a lot of these draggy shows. I find them interesting. I just feel a little annoyed by the implication that all gay men are into putting on makeup and wigs.

by Anonymousreply 3April 26, 2020 1:58 PM

I enjoyed this week's episode set in Twin Falls, Idaho. It's a good show to watch on a lazy Saturday afternoon. I'm surprised at how tolerable Eureka is on the show.

by Anonymousreply 4May 2, 2020 11:40 PM

Meh. It’s essentially the same show as Dragnificent on TLC, which is a lot more fun. We’re Here is trying too hard and takes itself way too seriously.

by Anonymousreply 5May 2, 2020 11:47 PM

Dragnificent is TERRRRRRIBLE. Basically a QE clone. Jujubee is the only tolerable person. Thorgy, Bebe and Alexis?? Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 6May 3, 2020 3:20 AM

Wow, Twin Falls is BLEAK.

by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2020 2:03 PM

[quote] so don’t bark at me

I can't bear the barking sometimes. It makes me weary.

by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2020 2:10 PM

Not more fucking disgusting drag queens and their minstrel shows.

by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2020 3:50 PM

It was better than I expected. It's "Too Wong Foo..." meets "Queer Eye".

by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2020 4:49 PM

Thank God I did a search and didn't do another thread. Watched all three episodes last night and did the ugly cry at a few points. It didn't have the usual "it's ok to be gay" vibe, just putting people into a character that gave them an opportunity to address different issues in their very different lives. The Branson episode was fantastic and makes me very glad I don't live there. I don't think I've ever seen a situation with the Mother was unhappy about her son being a Christian rather than being gay. Very well resolved.

by Anonymousreply 11May 11, 2020 5:58 PM

R11, I’m still pissed about that hateful shrew who wouldn’t even speak to the queens. That’s an evil Christian who will burn in Hell for eternity.

by Anonymousreply 12May 12, 2020 10:38 AM

I was prepared not to like this, but I think it’s cute and has a nice message overall ... I really enjoy all the queens, but Bob most of all .. had never seen him before this ...

by Anonymousreply 13May 24, 2020 2:56 AM

Sounds like something to make me feel much better about not subscribing to HBO.

by Anonymousreply 14May 24, 2020 3:30 AM

Dragnificent is better.

by Anonymousreply 15May 24, 2020 3:33 AM

Hi Thorgy -

no - it's not Dragnificient is QE done really badly. It is about 22 minutes of Thorgy and Bebe mugging for the camera and then Laughing at Alexis Michelle's overly tight costumes.

by Anonymousreply 16May 24, 2020 3:47 AM

I'm really enjoying this show. Even Eureka is having moments.

by Anonymousreply 17May 24, 2020 4:20 AM

r17 She got her lips done, which looks silly on her - and she has put on about 50 pounds since RPDR..but yeah she is really kind of sweet. I love that she is with two Drag queens of color since they labeled her racist.

by Anonymousreply 18May 24, 2020 4:07 PM

I randomly saw the Branson episode and found it interesting but it feels like the producers haven't figured out yet what the show is. Too much pointless footage of the hosts wandering around trying to create Michael Moore moments. Meanwhile they don't really dig into the three Branson residents let alone debate or challenge anybody.

I mean they could have done a whole episode just on that conflicted Christian dude, but none of the drag queens even said that gay and Christian are not mutually exclusive. And he didn't seem to be enjoying himself in the performance at the end. But apparently he had some some kind of breakthrough...that the camera did not capture.

(On a shallow note, I thought he was cute as a button and scorching hot in his Hedwig The Drag King costume. )

For all that I'm curious to see more of the episodes.

by Anonymousreply 19May 24, 2020 6:25 PM

I kept watching despite being underwhelmed by the first episode. The Branson episode is excellent, but other than that, I stand by my original opinion. Dragnificent is fun and this show is heavy in a way that isn’t earned. Yes, there is homophobia everyone in the US and some places should be exposed to drag. But why does it have to be so miserable all the time?

Oh, and I didn’t feel the tiniest bit of sympathy for the butch lesbian who wears men’s clothes who gets misgendered sometimes. WAH!

by Anonymousreply 20May 25, 2020 3:17 PM

Also, I too would pound the hell out of that conflicted gay Christian

by Anonymousreply 21May 25, 2020 3:17 PM

If you can't pray the gay away, pound it out!

by Anonymousreply 22May 25, 2020 7:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!