Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Andre Leon Talley, of the circus-tent caftan Talleys, slams Anna Wintour in his new book.

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405February 23, 2021 3:44 PM

live by the hags, die by the hags!

by Anonymousreply 1April 23, 2020 6:37 PM

He needs to quit with this nonsense.

[quote]With a dramatic flair, he writes: 'My hope is that she will find a way to apologize before I die, or if I linger on incapacitated before I pass, she will show up at my bedside, with an extended hand clasped into mine and say: 'I love you. You have no idea how much you have meant to me'. Not a day goes by when I do not think of Anna Wintour'.

by Anonymousreply 2April 23, 2020 6:40 PM

She's not cold, just English.

by Anonymousreply 3April 23, 2020 6:40 PM

I do hope she visits him only to take back something he took from the famous Vogue closet. The look on his face would be priceless.

by Anonymousreply 4April 23, 2020 6:48 PM

He was the guy on Tyra's next top model. That's all I know about this person.

by Anonymousreply 5April 23, 2020 6:53 PM

I mean, when one has to wear a California King bedspread as clothing, perhaps the answer as to why one was shunned is not so far from one's reach.

by Anonymousreply 6April 23, 2020 6:54 PM

He talks about how cold and mean she is, yet he was happy to be “friends” with her until she dropped him.🙄

by Anonymousreply 7April 23, 2020 6:56 PM

I worked at CN and well, he's totally right. Anna is not human. She is an unfeeling, unkind, unempathetic monster. Which is why she has been so successful. No one can work for the Newhouses and be a real person.

by Anonymousreply 8April 23, 2020 6:59 PM

Haven’t we heard this from him before?

by Anonymousreply 9April 23, 2020 7:01 PM

Gurl Mother Talley has been recycling the same tale for a number of years. He probably needs a coin right now and decided to throw some shade while celebrity news is slow. Wintour is probably in on the gag too.

by Anonymousreply 10April 23, 2020 7:02 PM

I always wonder what does Anna get out of working in fashion? Does it give her actual pleasure to be around these creative designers and fashion designs? She doesn't seem like a joyful person at all.

by Anonymousreply 11April 23, 2020 7:03 PM

Wintour must be exhausted from being Wintour.

by Anonymousreply 12April 23, 2020 7:06 PM

People who seek power are sociopaths more than the rest of the population. Capitalism rewards sociopaths - absence of human sympathy is a strength.

by Anonymousreply 13April 23, 2020 7:08 PM

That is all probably true, but Wintour owed Talley nothing. Publishing is severely constricted and the industry is on the ropes. If Wintour had to choose to save a carcass, it would be her own.

by Anonymousreply 14April 23, 2020 7:09 PM

You don’t know what the ninth circle of hell looks like until you’ve been to a dinner party and seated near Andre Leon Talley. An utterly REPULSIVE human being.

by Anonymousreply 15April 23, 2020 7:10 PM

A vivid word picture, R15.

Think I shall go wash my hands.

by Anonymousreply 16April 23, 2020 7:12 PM

I hope you're not missing out on Naomi Campbell's daily youtube pick me ups during this time of crisis!! She's had on Diddy, Christy Turlington, Ashley Graham, Serena Williams and Dame Anna Wintour herself. How y'all holding up? How's your country home? We all miss a human connection, now let's talk about my first Vogue cover. So relatable and inspirational.

I love me some Naomi Campbell though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 23, 2020 7:13 PM

I walked past Andre Leon Talley once many years ago, he was sitting on a something by the side of the street, like a planter or something, on the phone and he looked homeless and big like a fucking house, I wasn't close enough to smell anything but he looked unwashed...

by Anonymousreply 18April 23, 2020 7:14 PM

Didn't Anna Wintour call him Queen Kong?

by Anonymousreply 19April 23, 2020 7:15 PM

I felt sorry for him in the doc "The First Monday in May".

His star must have faded by then because he had some kind of greeter role and the Clooneys seemed to deliberately snub him.

Speaking of Amal Clooney and off-topic, but man, for all of her education and professional credentials, she's become Show Folk Trash.

by Anonymousreply 20April 23, 2020 7:17 PM

One day your thin. Next day your stout.

by Anonymousreply 21April 23, 2020 7:18 PM

One day you're thin. The next day you're stout.

by Anonymousreply 22April 23, 2020 7:19 PM

R20 - What is Show Folk Trash?

by Anonymousreply 23April 23, 2020 7:22 PM

His heyday was in the mid-1980s when he was a Warhol hanger-on.

by Anonymousreply 24April 23, 2020 7:23 PM

He is goals.

by Anonymousreply 25April 23, 2020 7:23 PM

[quote] Didn't Anna Wintour call him Queen Kong?

You’re referring to an anecdote he shared, regarding the racism he experienced in the fashion industry. Of course Wintour did not make such an overtly racist remark. If I remember correctly; the remark was made in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 26April 23, 2020 7:25 PM

I had a minor encounter with Mr. Talley while working in the service industry. He was kind to me while his peers who attended the same function I worked at were not.

by Anonymousreply 27April 23, 2020 7:27 PM

ALT was raised in the Deep South. He's all over the values he took with him to New York, from his childhood, so he loves to tell us. One thing a man doesn't do is trash a woman in public. Edward Enniful pulled the same crap w/Naomi Campbell recently, in a series of heated texts.

I get that ALT feels Anna Wintour has let him down; I understand it. And I'm sorry he has this to look back upon after all the years they worked together. But is the public interested in one more Anna Wintour Ice Queen story?

ALT had his finger on the pulse of fashion for what? 30 years? That's fantastic! Many would love to have traded places with him. So why doesn't he focus on the happy memories, the rich stories of working with designers, of working trips to world capitals, the moguls of fashion and commerce he met?

Andre, wake the fuck up. Smell the fuckin venal vitriol. Because it all belongs to you. In the clip below, he's basically asked what he does at Vogue. He doesn't have a clue. Vague, baby... really, really Vague.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 23, 2020 7:29 PM

Perhaps Wintour should send him a note of apology with a basket of rotted fruit.

by Anonymousreply 29April 23, 2020 7:30 PM

r23, It's one word so I was incorrect to make it two.

Showfolk - persons, especially performers, whose vocation is in the field of entertainment.

My understanding, from all my novels reading, both trashy and of the loftier variety, is that among what was at one time referred to as the "upper crust" or "WASP", they looked down their noses at people in the entertainment industry.

by Anonymousreply 30April 23, 2020 7:31 PM

Anna is ugly, stale and boring. Andre is fat and ugly. Both have no style.

by Anonymousreply 31April 23, 2020 7:32 PM

Wow, someone has an ax to grind.

He was a fixture at Vogue for such a long time. When he showed up on American's Next Top Model, it was clear that the magazine industry glory days were over.

by Anonymousreply 32April 23, 2020 7:36 PM

Didn't some wealthy Texan leave his wife for Wintour?

by Anonymousreply 33April 23, 2020 7:36 PM

LOL - he spent decades not only watching her treat other people poorly, but also probably engaging in and encouraging that behavior.

And he's shocked, SHOCKED I TELL YOU, that she turned on him, as she did with countless people before him to which he was a willing spectator?

Really, there was absolutely no sign whatsoever that she was like this and he was completely surprised she turned on him?

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

by Anonymousreply 34April 23, 2020 7:42 PM

[Quote] Next day your stout.

But don't you pout.

by Anonymousreply 35April 23, 2020 7:47 PM

Wintour loathes fat people. She tried to get him help, and CN even paid for his stint at DUKE, granted, he had to write about it. ALT isn’t interested in health, he’s interested in cookies. He’s fat, and that’s that. My friend sees him in the Target in Rockland County, filling his cart full of junk and muttering to himself in a pair of DESTROYED Uggs. He said he looks really pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 36April 23, 2020 7:54 PM

I, for one, can't wait to read it.

by Anonymousreply 37April 23, 2020 7:54 PM

It shouldn't come as a surprise to him.

She banned Tim Gunn from the MET Gala, because of an anecdote in one of his books (her being carried down some stairs by her bodyguards).

She thinks the Kardashians are great contributors for VOGUE.

She's like the Lorne Michaels of comedy.

by Anonymousreply 38April 23, 2020 7:55 PM

Food is a drug to people. Sugary foods.

by Anonymousreply 39April 23, 2020 7:58 PM

Some self-medicate with food, because they have some untreated mental issues. You know, eat your feelings kind of problems.

by Anonymousreply 40April 23, 2020 8:00 PM

Andre has all of the feelings.

by Anonymousreply 41April 23, 2020 8:02 PM

André. Call us.

by Anonymousreply 42April 23, 2020 8:18 PM

Has he ever been linked to anyone, romantically?

I'm sure he wouldn't hold on to so much resentment if got some dick on the reg.

by Anonymousreply 43April 23, 2020 8:44 PM

I don't think R13 has heard of Lenin, Stalin or Mao.

by Anonymousreply 44April 23, 2020 8:49 PM

Andre had a great, easy, fun, long ride with Vogue. Then the train stopped and he was dumped out into the real world. Where you and I live. You were surplus to requirements, Andre. Move on, let it go.

by Anonymousreply 45April 23, 2020 8:50 PM

Lenin wasn't a sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 46April 23, 2020 8:53 PM

R45 nailed it. Sorry ALT, the carousel ride had to end sometimes. Maybe he can get some FIT students to whip up those choir robes for him I’m sure Tom Ford won’t be interested anymore 😂

by Anonymousreply 47April 23, 2020 8:55 PM

He's big as a house.

How does that reflect on the fashion industry?

Probably smells on hot days.

Like buttah.

by Anonymousreply 48April 23, 2020 8:57 PM

It's very hard for people to adjust after the gravy train has stopped, and they refused to see the signs of it stopping real soon and prepare for that.

by Anonymousreply 49April 23, 2020 8:58 PM

What's with AW's butt-ugly shades!?

by Anonymousreply 50April 23, 2020 9:02 PM

He's ridiculous. Most all of them are. Even Anna Winter. Fashion is a waste of human energy and sometime talent.

by Anonymousreply 51April 23, 2020 9:07 PM

So he's Patsy Stone without the sex life and loyal friend.

by Anonymousreply 52April 23, 2020 9:15 PM

Summarizing: He was fine with being friends with a cunt as long as she could do something for him, but when she stopped, he attempted to make some cash by calling her a cunt.

That's pretty much it.

by Anonymousreply 53April 23, 2020 9:15 PM

He seems asexual . Is it by choice or by his circumference?

by Anonymousreply 54April 23, 2020 9:21 PM

Hunteys if you think for a minute she didn't co-write this with him you are dumber than a box of rocks.

by Anonymousreply 55April 23, 2020 9:22 PM

Was Anna Wintour's heart surgery successful? I heard she was having one put in.

by Anonymousreply 56April 23, 2020 9:32 PM

R49, I don't know, it looks like he is full of gravy. Of graxy even!

by Anonymousreply 57April 23, 2020 9:38 PM

I am still annoyed with him for bullying Jennifer Hudson into wearing that ugly schmatta at the Oscars the year that she won. Plus, he's ugly as sin.

by Anonymousreply 58April 23, 2020 9:42 PM

I would actually be interested in reading his memoirs because, of all the people who you might expect would rise to become a powerful fashion editor at the most influential magazines in the world, he would probably rank somewhere near my father. Meaning, dead last.

by Anonymousreply 59April 23, 2020 9:44 PM

One of my favorite threads in DL history

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60April 23, 2020 9:46 PM

Well, when your only job has been 'friend' of Diana Vreeland and Anna Wintour and nobody knows what you do and you can't even tell someone what you do at Vogue, then don't think that you're immune from cost-cutting.

He lives in White Plains I think because he never saved any money. And, when you start to make a spectacle of yourself and overshadow your benefactor, don't expect it to last long. Maybe he can commiserate with Star Jones.

He had a long ride wearing the most ridiculous shit and having the biggest attitude on the planet. And yes, you can be nice and have a huge ego and attitude.

The good part? He has about 5 good years to write about every damn scandal and personality in the fashion world from the past 50 years. He'll be the belle of the ball on the talk show circuit. He could go on Wendy Williams or other shows weekly with new dirt.

Make that coin now ALT! Nothing's holding you back! Use your poison pen - it's all you've got left.

by Anonymousreply 61April 23, 2020 10:12 PM

He failed to take note of what happened to Nigel in the Devil Wears Prada.

by Anonymousreply 62April 23, 2020 10:20 PM

[quote]Well, when your only job has been 'friend' of Diana Vreeland and Anna Wintour and nobody knows what you do and you can't even tell someone what you do at Vogue...

He was a brand ambassador. No more, no less. When you've got a title like Editor at Large or Creative Director, you may not have that much to do day-to-day at the publication, but you better make damn sure you're out there being a face of the product and promoting the hell out of it. He shouldn't have kept comments like "a FAMINE of beauty" in staff meetings. He should have been proclaiming it to the world. I haven't seen too many clips where he was doing that in a public forum. That may be a poor example, but he needed to be out there keeping the Vogue brand alive. I think he missed an opportunity to embrace what he was meant to be.

You may think of Vogue when you see Anna, but mainly she's just an ambassador of her own brand, one she relishes. And Hamish, much as I love him, isn't cutting it. Where's the mystique these days?

[quote]Grace Coddington, one of the magazine's longest serving editors used to stay at the Ritz and was given a chauffeured town car. Now she has to 'queue in long lines at airport taxi stands in Europe', Talley writes, adding: 'It seems so hardscrabble and undignified'.

Of all people, jeesh. Grace doesn't have any fucks left to give about stuff like that.

by Anonymousreply 63April 23, 2020 10:27 PM

[quote] ALT had his finger on the pulse of fashion for what? 30 years? That's fantastic! Many would love to have traded places with him. So why doesn't he focus on the happy memories, the rich stories of working with designers, of working trips to world capitals, the moguls of fashion and commerce he met?

No memory of having starred

Atones for later disregard

Or keeps the end from being hard.

by Anonymousreply 64April 23, 2020 10:28 PM

[quote] Grace Coddington, one of the magazine's longest serving editors used to stay at the Ritz and was given a chauffeured town car. Now she has to 'queue in long lines at airport taxi stands in Europe', Talley writes, adding: 'It seems so hardscrabble and undignified'.

What's a taxi?

by Anonymousreply 65April 23, 2020 10:30 PM

Anna Winter's "beach house" is in Mastic. It's not even in the Hamptons

by Anonymousreply 66April 23, 2020 10:34 PM

[quote] The good part? He has about 5 good years to write about every damn scandal and personality in the fashion world from the past 50 years. He'll be the belle of the ball on the talk show circuit. He could go on Wendy Williams or other shows weekly with new dirt.

I doubt it would pay anything.

He'll be lucky if he makes any money off this book. How many people care about the world of fashion magazines any more?

He had a nice long run, but he's at the age where most people are retired anyway, and as people upthread noted, he at best tolerated, and at worst encouraged Anna in the past when she was cold and mean to the little people. He gets zero sympathy from me.

by Anonymousreply 67April 23, 2020 10:37 PM

[quote]Has he ever been linked to anyone, romantically?

A few may have been caught in the gravity well of his enormous bulkitude, but that's about it.

by Anonymousreply 68April 23, 2020 10:40 PM

R64 I’m pretty dense and I don’t get it. Please explain.

by Anonymousreply 69April 23, 2020 10:42 PM

I wonder if he was abused as a child. Usually when people get that big they had a horrible childhood. Either that or mental health issues. Cut him some slack.

by Anonymousreply 70April 23, 2020 10:43 PM

R67 - there's plenty of people who love to know about filth. You can take some good stories and write films around it.

People love fashion, models, designers, etc.

by Anonymousreply 71April 23, 2020 10:45 PM

[quote] [R64] I’m pretty dense and I don’t get it. Please explain.

Robert Frost was a 20th-century American poet who wrote a famous poem called 'Provide, Provide," in which among other things he basically said that no matter how rich and famous you once were, that won't make you happy at the end if you're no longer still rich and famous. I quoted the key lines that say that because someone asked why ALT can't just be happy that once upon a time he was famous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72April 23, 2020 10:56 PM

ALT and Anna are friends for life. She doesn't despise fat people BTW, she just very old school when it comes to beauty standards. They are friends for life, Anna knows about this book and even if she didn't cosign on it, she won't care. It won't really make a dent in her reputation. She knows he needs the dough. Trust me.

by Anonymousreply 73April 23, 2020 11:06 PM

The thousands of photographs he appears in are never perused for his presence first.

We look at the people he was lucky to have with him in the photos.

In the end he became a buffoon. It wasn't that he didn't know his place, his real experiences with racism aside. (We all face -isms.) He didn't know his job. He was the Man Who Wore Too Much.

Including on observers' nerves.

by Anonymousreply 74April 23, 2020 11:41 PM

Also the originator of the snack purse, the accessory that Chrissy Metz brought to the masses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75April 23, 2020 11:45 PM

Did she grab him by the pussy? Because you can do that when you're rich and famous.

by Anonymousreply 76April 23, 2020 11:51 PM

He’s so homely and nausea inducing in his appearance.

by Anonymousreply 77April 24, 2020 12:00 AM

Mastic is a shithole. Is there a nice part of Mastic?

by Anonymousreply 78April 24, 2020 12:20 AM

My guess is she will be also ultimately cast off--she will never resign from Conde Nast voluntarily, so she just has to wait for Roger Lynch or Donald Newhouse to get sick of her.

Diana Vreeland ultimately got cast off, and so did Carmel Snow before her, and Grace Mirabella after her. Anna will too.

by Anonymousreply 79April 24, 2020 12:28 AM

With a dramatic flair, he writes: "My hope is that she will find a way to apologize before I die, or if I linger on incapacitated before I pass, she will show up at my bedside, with an extended hand clasped into mine and say: 'I love you. You have no idea how much you have meant to me'."

NARRATOR: "Instead, Miss Wintour just waltzed into the ICU and pulled the plug. And still made it to dinner on time."

by Anonymousreply 80April 24, 2020 12:40 AM

What did he expect?

It's a fashion magazine and by definition supposed to cover what's of-the-moment. It's not like The New Yorker, where you could work for William Shawn or David Remnick until you die, honing your art.

Even an editor-in-chief is on borrowed time, especially at Conde Nast. If he expected a gold watch on his deathbed, he's an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 81April 24, 2020 12:44 AM

Would ALT have been friends with Anna if she hasn't been in a position to help him in his career?

by Anonymousreply 82April 24, 2020 12:50 AM

Can't he get a visiting professor stint somewhere? Wasn't he a write of some sort early in his career? I agree the book or gossip circuit won't pay much but some university or liberal arts college will throw him a position that would be comfortable enough.

by Anonymousreply 83April 24, 2020 12:55 AM

[quote]Talley has nothing but scorn for his replacement as the Vogue red carpet interviewer at the Met Gala last year, which appears to refer to YouTube star Liza Koshy, 24. With bitterness he writes: 'What could this talented YouTuber offer?

[quote]'Surely she didn't know what a martingale back is to a Balenciagia one-seamed coat? Or did she know that Katie Holmes' Zac Posen dress, worn with great elegance, constructed with great technique, was a homage to the master architect Charles James?

[quote]...'Like an extinct dodo bird. my brain, rich and replete with knowledge, has been relegated to the history books'.

I love it.

by Anonymousreply 84April 24, 2020 12:59 AM

Not a gold watch, r81. A loaded pizza and chocolate milk.

by Anonymousreply 85April 24, 2020 1:02 AM

ALT + DELETE!

by Anonymousreply 86April 24, 2020 1:04 AM

[quote]Grace Coddington, one of the magazine's longest serving editors used to stay at the Ritz and was given a chauffeured town car. Now she has to 'queue in long lines at airport taxi stands in Europe', Talley writes, adding: 'It seems so hardscrabble and undignified'.

Magazine budgets are nowhere near what they were in the pre-internet/social media world. The 90s were really the last gasp of magazine writers/editors being treated like movie stars.

by Anonymousreply 87April 24, 2020 1:06 AM

The thing about creative fields, no matter if they're fashion, acting, music or what-have-you is that everybody ages out. These are youth-driven industries, and before long another generation of young movers and shakers are on the scene. Some people just can't accept it, like ALT, Madonna and a host of others. Time moves on, you get older, and you can't stay relevant forever in a creative, youth-driven field/marketplace. That's just reality.

by Anonymousreply 88April 24, 2020 1:10 AM

[quote]Talley has nothing but scorn for his replacement as the Vogue red carpet interviewer at the Met Gala last year, which appears to refer to YouTube star Liza Koshy, 24. With bitterness he writes: 'What could this talented YouTuber offer?

I bet she's able to move, rather than sitting there like a beached whale whilst interns have to try and convince the stars to come to him.

I remember him on one of the late night shows - Seth Meyers I think - they had to cut to him already seated.

by Anonymousreply 89April 24, 2020 1:11 AM

He's 70 - they kept him on in this rather useless job until he was 70. Do you know how many people get shown the door in their late 50's?

And the fashion industry chews up and spits out models, designers and editors all the time. Designers with actual talent like Zan Posen and Isaac Mizrahi are closed. What makes him think he is so special? He had an astonishingly long run.

He wasn't a designer, art director, model or that much of an editor. How long do you expect to be paid to go "I don't like that" - "Oooh - ALT loves that" - "No, this was not his best".

I mean he's a fucking one man Yelp review.

by Anonymousreply 90April 24, 2020 1:22 AM

r90, I love you. More witty commentary please.

by Anonymousreply 91April 24, 2020 1:27 AM

Zac Posen is closed?

I did not know that.

by Anonymousreply 92April 24, 2020 1:30 AM

Do you know how many people in NYC get shown the door in their early 40s?

Largely, after 40, you're washed up in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 93April 24, 2020 1:34 AM

I hate her penis-shaped head in OP’s photo.

by Anonymousreply 94April 24, 2020 1:36 AM

He probably didn't have the personality to become a Tim Gunn.

by Anonymousreply 95April 24, 2020 1:42 AM

R95 - personality? Tim Gunn was the Fashion Department Chair in charge of curriculum for Parsons. It's a knowledge-based job.

ALT? "I love it - it reminds me of the 1982 Gaulthier Winter show". Ok - great memory and encyclopedic knowledge - but what did he actually know about design and the business?

IMO, he was like a sports commentator but for fashion.

by Anonymousreply 96April 24, 2020 1:49 AM

Look, ALT, Loro Piano has a vicuña Martingale coat. It's a steal at $20,495.00!

by Anonymousreply 97April 24, 2020 1:56 AM

Isaac Mizrahi is not "closed;" he sells truly terrible clothes and accessories to fraus on the shopping chsnnel

by Anonymousreply 98April 24, 2020 1:57 AM

R98 - as a fashion house. You know what I mean. Many many brands have closed over the past 25-30 years.

I have to think the Newhouses gave Anna an ultimatum and some forced cuts. There's only so long you can explain your friend's presence when everyone asks - what the hell is he doing here?

And I think Anna - who is also 70 - knows her time is closing down. She's been editor for an absurdly long time.

by Anonymousreply 99April 24, 2020 2:05 AM

[quote] Andre had a great, easy, fun, long ride with Vogue. Then the train stopped and he was dumped out into the real world. Where you and I live. You were surplus to requirements, Andre. Move on, let it go.

The United States runs on white male mediocrity being pushed and promoted to the top. The “Good Ole Boy Network” is America’s oldest and most obvious affirmative action program. This enabled a man like Donald Trump to become president. White women are chief beneficiaries of federal affirmative action programs. Yet white men and women are constantly pushing the narrative that they are the real victims of oppression. Racial minorities are somehow getting a free ride. None of whom could possibly be equally qualified, much less more qualified than any white person. Generally speaking, black people have to be twice as good to get 1/2 as far as an equally qualified white person or even a less qualified white person.

The fantasy world, in which some of you live, is hilarious. The fact that the most mediocrely basic straight white males are worshipped as Gods on earth here, should clue you in. That is not just a Datalounge quirk. It is an American principle.

by Anonymousreply 100April 24, 2020 2:05 AM

He was my idol

by Anonymousreply 101April 24, 2020 2:07 AM

r100 ALT did practically nothing, it has nothing to do with our righteous screed. He was dead weight for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 102April 24, 2020 2:09 AM

Agreed r100 and great post.

The embodiment of White Male Privilege befouls the WH Oval Office now.

by Anonymousreply 103April 24, 2020 2:11 AM

"Andre, step AWAY from the sandwich."

by Anonymousreply 104April 24, 2020 2:15 AM

That someone could accuse Andre Leon Talley of not having personality and compares him to a boring old queen that just walks around with his arms folded on a design competition and says "I'm concerned," might be the best support for this 'white male mediocrity' line of interrogation.

by Anonymousreply 105April 24, 2020 2:20 AM

Great post R 100 Really nice to read the truth one in a while!! Also the person that posted the Frost.. excellent

by Anonymousreply 106April 24, 2020 2:25 AM

[quote]None of whom could possibly be equally qualified, much less more qualified than any white person. Generally speaking, black people have to be twice as good to get 1/2 as far as an equally qualified white person or even a less qualified white person.

But Andre Leon Talley was none of those things.

Conversely, if a white male sat on his ass and did nothing at Vogue, he probably wouldn't have lasted long.

by Anonymousreply 107April 24, 2020 2:26 AM

Ive always found him far too homely to be the bitch he thought he was . Pretentious,self important blowhard .

by Anonymousreply 108April 24, 2020 2:26 AM

Wait - Della - you're usually have very reasoned posts. Do you believe ALT at age 70 was pushed aside due to racism?

Trump is another matter - but I don't see how what R100 wrote has any relevance to ALT. ALT did not DO anything! And he was able to stay in that role for a looooong time.

by Anonymousreply 109April 24, 2020 2:27 AM

[quote] Can't he get a visiting professor stint somewhere?

As what? A visiting professor of fat studies?

by Anonymousreply 110April 24, 2020 2:29 AM

I wonder why he’s never had a gastric bypass. Does he ever said anything about that in an interview? I can’t imagine he’s healthy.

by Anonymousreply 111April 24, 2020 2:30 AM

Della is a useless FrauCunt.

by Anonymousreply 112April 24, 2020 2:31 AM

r100: yes, yes, that's all very fascinating, and the white cis-het patriarchy is so rotten, etc. etc.

BUT... what does that have to do with ALT? If he is far above white male mediocrity (as you seem to be clearly implying), just what exactly is it that he actually DID that meant he should still be drawing a hefty salary for his excellence at doing it?

by Anonymousreply 113April 24, 2020 2:34 AM

[quote] Talley lost 55lbs but he put it back on and he returned to the [diet] center three times for a 'yo-yo battle I long ago realized I will never win'.

Sad that he has such a defeatist attitude about losing weight. Nobody's saying he needs to weigh 165 pounds, but he could at least shoot for 250 or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 114April 24, 2020 2:35 AM

r109, I stand by agreeing with r100, however, in the matter of ALT, I think other explanations besides racism or bigotry can be attributed to him being tossed out on his ample behind.

by Anonymousreply 115April 24, 2020 2:56 AM

R70 You might be on to something. Many people abused in childhood have difficulty with forming adult relationships, which he seems to have.

by Anonymousreply 116April 24, 2020 3:09 AM

R115 - Thanks for clarifying Della.

So R100 injected racism into the thread and mentions of white power and control that did not apply to ALT or our discussion of him.

by Anonymousreply 117April 24, 2020 3:13 AM

Talley has cited racism against him (and fat-ism).

But THIS ain't about race.

The troll up-thread, making up words and getting upset over nothing, is going to start calling for murder soon. She usually does.

by Anonymousreply 118April 24, 2020 3:19 AM

That troll's been in other threads. She can take any subject, no matter what, and tie it into White Male Boogeymen and Colonialism and Repression. It's almost like a drinking game. Another useless cunt.

by Anonymousreply 119April 24, 2020 3:20 AM

I literally weigh zero pounds and I am tall. I was born at that weight. My dad, Key and a few family dictator-stalkers didn't like that, so my food intake is and was often monitored, overseen, picked apart and limited by a bunch of fat, male losers.

Anna Wintour was given directives to say I was fat so she kept calling me a fatty. I didn't know what to make of it but she stopped, apologized and we made up.

She secretly loves deathrock aesthetic and classic, traditional goth style, as seen in the eighties. Second to couture, though, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 120April 24, 2020 3:28 AM

My understanding is that ALT voluntarily resigned from American Vogue to edit a Russian fashion mag, only to resign his position from the magazine's Moscow offices due to Russia's discriminatory policy towards the LGBT community. I've never heard that he was forced out. Or did I miss that day in class?

I've never followed this too closely, but I certainly remember the problem with the Russian mag.

by Anonymousreply 121April 24, 2020 3:40 AM

What is her appeal? And, what accounts for the longevity at the helm of Vogue? Psychiatrist friend couldn't understand why his colleague, Dr. David Shaffer, married her. She has no education unlike ALT who has a Masters in French from Brown.

by Anonymousreply 122April 24, 2020 3:45 AM

Because he used up ALL the fabric!

by Anonymousreply 123April 24, 2020 3:51 AM

My sympathies to Anna Wintour. The magazine format is dead and she has to find a way to keep the Vogue profitable in the age of Instagram and YouTube. Who even reads about fashion anymore? Meanwhile the old crusty guard is kicking a fuss because she doesn't have time to soothe their egos? It's just business, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 124April 24, 2020 3:52 AM

Many people wonder why Wintour is still at the helm in this digital/social media world, and why she's lasted so long. Lots of people her age are stuck in the 80s/90s and the world has just moved on from them, but they keep hanging on.

by Anonymousreply 125April 24, 2020 3:55 AM

R122 She was great at balancing esoteric aesthetics with mainstream popularity, so that Vogue was able to straddle both financial success and authenticity. She got shit on for embracing the Kardashians but at the time it was the only way to tap into the changing zeitgeist. Instagram makes fashion magazines irrelevant, so perhaps it's a good thing she co-opted them when she did.

by Anonymousreply 126April 24, 2020 4:00 AM

R46, Lenin opened gulags. He created a ruthless secret police. He ordered the killing of millions. He was at least a sociopath, perhaps a psychopath.

by Anonymousreply 127April 24, 2020 4:07 AM

They finally found his Haloween costume.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128April 24, 2020 4:11 AM

R125 There's just no profitable model in the digital context. Most people only bought Vogue for the pictures and we can get that for free on IG. People who bought it for fashion reviews can just watch those on YouTube. It's too clunky a business to go into the next era and Anna is amazing for somehow keeping the ship afloat this long. Mark my words, she'll be the last editor in chief. Aside from the met gala, everything Vogue does is now the dormain of singular creators on YouTube or Instagram which is simply not her fault

by Anonymousreply 129April 24, 2020 4:11 AM

The sunglasses are too small. You can still see parts of her exposed face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130April 24, 2020 4:22 AM

Doesn’t she have permanent dents under her eyes from wearing sunglasses all the time?

by Anonymousreply 131April 24, 2020 4:39 AM

For someone who's only claim to fame (and having a high paid job in the industry's leading magazine) is supposedly his impeccable taste,, this was an unforgivable crime. Anna should have cast him out the minute this come on TV.

I'm not even a fashionista or have studied fashion, but it's pretty simple fashion 101 that an overweight woman (with exception being made for the my-600-life types like Chrissy or Gabourey) should always, specially if she is going to win an Oscar, be: always cinched, have a non-clothing statement piece and/or most importantly have a luxurious fabric, with preference to intricate beading.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132April 24, 2020 5:38 AM

Exibit A: Cinched and statement piece (flower) that takes your eyes away from the weight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133April 24, 2020 5:39 AM

Exibit B: Cinched and gorgeous, beaded fabric

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134April 24, 2020 5:41 AM

J-Hud actually changed immediately afterwards to another gown that actually made her look great. But the damage had already been done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135April 24, 2020 5:42 AM

Or if you are on the verge of becoming a my-600-life overweight, don't even wear a gown.

Like her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136April 24, 2020 5:47 AM

Oops, like her

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137April 24, 2020 5:48 AM

He was never catty or mean on ANTM from what I recall so it's not hard for me to believe he's a decent person. And he's very articulate. But yea...I fear he hasn't much longer to live.

by Anonymousreply 138April 24, 2020 6:02 AM

Tim Gunn, who I like a lot, called it a long time ago (about Anna Wintour being a horrible person).

ALT probably needs / wants money right now. He probably has health problems as well.

by Anonymousreply 139April 24, 2020 6:17 AM

His interview with Robin Givhan (YouTube) reminded me that he can be entertaining in his perspective and catalogue of anecdotes.

Whether for sentimentality or because they are not in a position to argue, many of his best stories are about the dead. In the way he says his high school ALT self was a walking encyclopedia and one-man fan club of C Z Guest and Gloria Vanderbilt, it would seem he sometimes embroiders and borrows for some stories, yet he can turn out a sharp observation that hits the truth and gives a point to fashion as something behind the purely frivolous. And he can appreciate a sharp mind.

Tents and black plastic trash bag garments aside, he can be both absurd and make interesting observations. No doubt the line to pay him for this sort of thing is quite short. Too bad he has to do bitchy exposées of a universally recognized bitch to make a few coins, but as others have mentioned, it always comes as a surprise and too soon to hear that you've been declared surplus and a cost drain and are being set adrift.

by Anonymousreply 140April 24, 2020 7:01 AM

R100 You said a mouthful. White mediocrity is everywhere everyday. You see it in media, music, film, television, politics, education, etc.

And Trump is the living embodiment of White mediocrity. White mediocrity lives all throughout America and always have. They've always gotten things they didn't deserve. But think their victims.

I'm glad you said what you said. We're are getting to see what White mediocrity is right now. Just look at how the damn country is being run during this pandemic we're all living through.

It didn't have to get to this point, but white mediocrity got us here. And it's costing lives to boot.

SMH!

by Anonymousreply 141April 24, 2020 7:04 AM

I swear I do not have an Anna Wintour doll that I dress up every day (ok, maybe... every... *other* day? lol). And I certainly do not have it on my bucket list to scrape acquaintance with her. But I've been aware of her over the past year. And I get slammed and flamed for stating what is transparently the truth: print media is an arch conservative boys only club. It will give the impression of being hip, of being woke, supportive of women who have career goals as focused any man. But that's not really the case. It's all right for a woman with a vision of what she wants her career to be, as long as that vision doesn't compete with something men want. Further up thread, someone asked what is it that drives Anna Wintour to continue with her career in fashion as Editor in Chief of American Vogue (& other titles I'm too darn lazy to look up). And it's perfectly understandable to ask that question.

Because, unlike me, and more than likely, many of us swag DLers, Fashion has contained the air Dame Anna needs to breathe since she was a schoolgirl at a private North London prep school (or whatever those schools are called in England. Here in the Colonies we'd call it elementary and junior high school). Fashion CONSUMED her.

Kevin Spacey, when he was a guest on The Actor's Studio brought to you by Lipton Tea (joke) said that to succeed as an actor you have to breathe it, eat it, become it. Jimi Hendrix never put his guitar down; he'd play it at meals (must've been a right bother in bed wiv all them groupies), That's what it was like for Anna. Her father was on of Max Beaverbrook's bully boys. To deviate slightly, but provide some kind of clue as to what's bred in her bones, Anna's brother was hit by a car whilst riding his bicycle, and died a short while afterwards from the injuries he sustained. Anna's mother called her husband, who was in a meeting with Beaverbrook. Her husband took the call, then returned to the meeting! Anna's devotion to fashion was looked upon with upper middle class English disdain, suspicion, and probably the horror parents feel when they can't for the life of them imagine how their child ever deviated. But after her brother's death, Anna was her father's favourite.

The only job she ever wanted, and this is from when she was like eight years old, was to be Editor in Chief of American Vogue.

So what I've used A to Z to get to from A to B (to those of you whose attention span can actually sit through this shower of shite) is to ask how many of us knew from that early an age, not only what career path we wanted to pursue, but the job title as well?

And again, if she were a man, there would be no 'Ice Queen', 'Cold Bitch,', 'Backstabbing Cunt' references. 'A true leader in his field, admitting nothing less than he was convinced he deserved,' or some such journo cut and paste crap, would be how Anna Wintour would be described if she were a man.

The Joke about the heart operation was hilarious; I really enjoyed it. If she were a man, would we even question if she had a heart? She rose to the top job in a male dominated pool of sharks.

She's gotta be doing something right at CN, otherwise there would've been the 'retirement tale #xx' by now. And I'll finish now (I know, anybody who has made it this far is prolly thinking, 'this bitch never should have started. Doesn't he ever fucking edit anything?) by asking one final question: has anybody ever head Anna Wintour talk shit about people publicly? I think it does show she's resolutely unconcerned what others think of her, unless it can harm her position.

by Anonymousreply 142April 24, 2020 7:05 AM

I'm sure Kim Kardashian is depressed she won't get to flaunt her ass at the MET this year.

COVID-19 Had other plans.

by Anonymousreply 143April 24, 2020 7:16 AM

Horrible people are horrible?

I, for one, am shocked.

by Anonymousreply 144April 24, 2020 7:20 AM

I don't think he needs $$$. He has a nice home in white plains NY.

I wonder how close he is to Naomi Campbell?

I love her.

by Anonymousreply 145April 24, 2020 7:24 AM

avoid

the sow can be smelled a block away.

nasty!

by Anonymousreply 146April 24, 2020 7:47 AM

Puhleese! Talley should be smart to realize that there are no close personal relationships in business. Anna is a business woman who was doing her thing. One never mingles with the help.

by Anonymousreply 147April 24, 2020 8:36 AM

[R143], I can just see her on her hands and knees picking up the 200mg tablets of Sertraline that spill out of the bottle every time she steals some of Kanye's because she's already maxed out of her monthly script!

If there's one good thing to come of this horrible pandemic, it's being secure in the knowledge that I won't stumble across this year's picture of Kanye arriving on the red carpet, looking constipated.

by Anonymousreply 148April 24, 2020 10:12 AM

J'adore DL threads on ALT and Nuclear Wintour!

You bitches always deliver.

by Anonymousreply 149April 24, 2020 10:52 AM

King of Krispy Kreme.

by Anonymousreply 150April 24, 2020 10:54 AM

"She's not capable of simple human kindness".

He sounds like Blanche DuBois

he certainly has a way with words, which I like

by Anonymousreply 151April 24, 2020 11:39 AM

"...airport taxi stands in Europe"

in Europe........ IN EUROPE!

by Anonymousreply 152April 24, 2020 11:41 AM

Would it kill him to lose 100lbs?!

by Anonymousreply 153April 24, 2020 11:50 AM

R68 I believe his longest relationship has been with Sara Lee.

by Anonymousreply 154April 24, 2020 12:19 PM

OP’s title made me cackle. You bitches.

by Anonymousreply 155April 24, 2020 12:59 PM

He sounds like he would be exhausting to spend time with.

I think that Anna and the others kept him around because looking at him could make anyone feel better about themselves.

by Anonymousreply 156April 24, 2020 1:45 PM

R31 You don't know from ugly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157April 24, 2020 1:55 PM

Last year I walked around Andre.

by Anonymousreply 158April 24, 2020 1:56 PM

One in every bathroom

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159April 24, 2020 2:13 PM

As if being frozen out by my heartless friend of decades—decades, I tell you!—were not enough, you know that this whole unpleasant business leaves me not only short of funds but short of personal assistants, R159. Oh, we had a revolving door of interns in the executive suites of Condé Nast, and without exception every one of them had to be trained, from the ground up, trained to walk, trained at what distance to follow, trained when to talk, trained when [bold]not[/bold] to talk, trained to our likes and dislikes, to our every proclivity and peccadillo, and not least importantly trained to carry. Yes, trained to carry the all important bag with all manner of things that one never needs and then, suddenly, one does with great urgency, a drawing of a monkey's paw made by a Tibetan monk I met and that I shall press into the "paw" of my dear friend Manolo Blahnik the next time I see him (You know his family were very rich in the Canarias, and kept pet monkeys?), a crisp $5 bill for that young man who pushes my trolley to the parking lot at Costco, the million small things one needs. Anyway, carrying [italic]The Extension[/italic] I like to call it in its velvet sack wrapped with sheets of the most divine Japanese hand-made waxed paper—it's impervious to all!—was of no small importance I tell you, and the better interns could discern from the mere suggestion of a gentle arch of an eyebrow that the time of need was near and would start my preparations involving [italic]The Extension[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 160April 24, 2020 3:07 PM

I’ve met Wintour- at a large charity dinner where she was a speaker. She was incredibly impressive in the support of Obama at the time and her Philanthropic efforts and initiatives for the HIV affected in the fashion industry. She was cordial, funny, and looked great. She is more than Vogue editor now at CN and I suspect much of the criticism of her is basically misogyny. She would have an entirely different rep if she was a he.

by Anonymousreply 161April 24, 2020 3:19 PM

[quote] "...airport taxi stands in Europe"

[quote] in Europe........ IN EUROPE!

And ... and, you know what's in the east? EASTERN EUROPE!!!!

by Anonymousreply 162April 24, 2020 3:23 PM

R161 thinks that a carefully crafted public persona is the actual person.

Not.

Anna is excellent in public -- says the right things, supports the right causes. It's the moment the spotlight is gone when the real Anna comes out: vindictive, mean-spirited, barely human. Those of us who've had to deal with the real Anna figure it out within a few days of working for or with her.

by Anonymousreply 163April 24, 2020 3:27 PM

"Vindictive", "mean spirited" - aren't those very human qualities?

by Anonymousreply 164April 24, 2020 3:29 PM

I feel like her ice-queen and bitchy attitude is a hold-over from management styles that have begun to be called out and corrected the past 20 years.

Yes, everyone has their mean boss story, but bitchy and mean people (or divas) are not given the free pass anymore. They're being called out and identified, one branch of which has been the MeToo movement.

I don't feel like this 'brand' is anything people want to accept anymore. And that's a good thing!

Lastly, the democratization of the internet has taken away the power centers of NY and Paris in fashion, like in many industries. There is much more wide access - it's not the few and the elite who curate fashion and pass it down to everyone else to eat up.

It's what is making the large cities not as unique anymore. That's my take anyway.

by Anonymousreply 165April 24, 2020 3:43 PM

What's she hiding with those sunglasses? She looks ridiculous sitting indoors talking to Naomi Campbell over Skype with her fucking sunglasses on.

by Anonymousreply 166April 24, 2020 3:47 PM

The glasses are part of her brand.

by Anonymousreply 167April 24, 2020 3:51 PM

Anna Wintour always looks like she is holding back a big hard piece of stool.

by Anonymousreply 168April 24, 2020 3:52 PM

For R132.......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169April 24, 2020 3:56 PM

[quote] Kevin Spacey, when he was a guest on The Actor's Studio brought to you by Lipton Tea (joke) said that to succeed as an actor you have to breathe it, eat it, become it. Jimi Hendrix never put his guitar down; he'd play it at meals (must've been a right bother in bed wiv all them groupies),

Please don't quit your day job. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 170April 24, 2020 4:07 PM

R163, you worked for or with Wintour? I’m a tad more sophisticated than you suggest especially when able to observe and interact with someone casually. I am fully aware that her good manners and relaxed presentation socially are just that- presentation. However I’m pretty good at spotting trouble. Perks of growing older.

by Anonymousreply 171April 24, 2020 4:09 PM

[quote] I’ve met Wintour- at a large charity dinner where she was a speaker. She was incredibly impressive in the support of Obama at the time and her Philanthropic efforts and initiatives for the HIV affected in the fashion industry. She was cordial, funny, and looked great. She is more than Vogue editor now at CN and I suspect much of the criticism of her is basically misogyny. She would have an entirely different rep if she was a he.—charlie

There's charlie in a nutshell: name-dropping and virtue-signalling simultaneously.

by Anonymousreply 172April 24, 2020 4:10 PM

nice to see your posts, charlie

by Anonymousreply 173April 24, 2020 4:10 PM

[quote] I’m a tad more sophisticated than you suggest especially when able to observe and interact with someone casually.

Yes, charlie. We've all seen how you are [bold]so[/bold] objective when it comes to famous white Establishment women with whom you scrape acquaintance.

by Anonymousreply 174April 24, 2020 4:21 PM

The late Kal Ruttenstein of Bloomingdale's had to speak at an awards dinner at the 42nd Street Library where Wintour was being honored. He had to say how she was his Muse. He confided in me that he couldn't stand her and furthermore he didn't even like women.

by Anonymousreply 175April 24, 2020 4:43 PM

Charlie has defended Michelle Obama here, r174.

I appreciate Charlie's posts.

by Anonymousreply 176April 24, 2020 4:49 PM

What the fuck is Charlie, a perfume? A chocolate factory?

by Anonymousreply 177April 24, 2020 4:51 PM

Honestly, if she took him along with her as she rose as he describes, he needs to just be grateful and shut it. All gravy trains come to an end.

by Anonymousreply 178April 24, 2020 4:57 PM

This is why people should always save their $$$. Especially if you work in Arts, entertainment music or fashion.

Because when the shit hits the fan and everything drys up. You'll be out of gas. Save and invest wisely, so you can stay in within the confines of comfort and luxury for life. Or otherwise, you'll be forced to go get, dare I say, a real Job.

And that's something no one who works in the Arts want. They want to stay in a world of fantasy and make believe, and that's exactly what the world of Art and entertainment is.

I wouldn't want it to end either.

by Anonymousreply 179April 24, 2020 5:09 PM

R165 You're right. Large cities have lost much of their allure in the past few years.

by Anonymousreply 180April 24, 2020 5:41 PM

Both their pussies stink.

by Anonymousreply 181April 24, 2020 5:53 PM

Jeez, we're attacking charlie and Della now? It's getting rough up in here.

by Anonymousreply 182April 24, 2020 6:08 PM

Well, it's not like Charlie doesn't have form when it comes to curbing discussion. He's very "nothing to see here." It's unsurprising that posters of a gossip forum wouldn't take kindly to that.

by Anonymousreply 183April 24, 2020 6:14 PM

Like the above poster said, of course Wintour would be on her best behavior at a public event where she was the focus. The stories about her in the office are another matter.

by Anonymousreply 184April 24, 2020 6:17 PM

What was Andre's best contrubution to Vogue? Can you link to one specific article, feature or issue he worked on?

by Anonymousreply 185April 24, 2020 6:17 PM

[quote]Like the above poster said, of course Wintour would be on her best behavior at a public event where she was the focus. The stories about her in the office are another matter.

Atta girl!

by Anonymousreply 186April 24, 2020 6:18 PM

In the world and business of fashion, no one is nice. Everyone is a cunt and it's only a matter of degree fo cuntiness. So for AW to be considered a cunt in that environment means that she's the cuntiest of cunts. If she was a man she'd be someone who's being skewed on SM for #timesup behavior. She's a straight up sociopath who's only being lauded as this great fashion maven due to her past of intimidating people around her. It's all smoke and mirrors, the more people acquiesced to her demands and gave her power, the more feared she became. In reality I suspect she's like the wizard in Wizard of Oz, once you strip her of all that is her public image she's really just a pathetic, powerless person.

by Anonymousreply 187April 24, 2020 6:23 PM

She also ruined Vogue R187.

by Anonymousreply 188April 24, 2020 6:26 PM

Give us some details. "Intimidated people around her" is a fairly dry summation.

by Anonymousreply 189April 24, 2020 6:34 PM

Yes R188 it used to be great covers with models and interesting articles from time to time, but it went downhill in the few years prior to Kim Kardashian on the covers. Then it became all about celebrities instead of fashion.

by Anonymousreply 190April 24, 2020 6:34 PM

[quote]The glasses are part of her brand.

She's not a brand, she's a fucking editor. What do you think she is, Meghan (Just Call Me Dutchess) Markle? Yves St. Laurent?

She has her signature personal style, she's associated with a prominent media company, but you could say the same for Bennett Cerf.

As for her attracting criticism because she's a woman, sexism plays into everything but to say her reputation would not make a ripple were she a man is ridiculous. As R165 notes, High Powered Bitch Boss is more than a little outdated and she has been riding on the fumes of that for a long time.

Diana Vreeland was a bitch, too, impatient and rude to colleagues, imperious, but not an ice princess shell disguising an even icier core. Vreeland was brilliant beyond Wintour in 100 different ways and had a far greater influence and her legacy is not a pair of sun shades and 100% Bitch, it was something more more and all from a woman whose Vogue career ended in 1971. Vreeland was ahead of her time, Wintour is just a bitch wrapped in an armour of bitchiness in a style of Power Bitch that went out of fashion many seasons ago

by Anonymousreply 191April 24, 2020 6:46 PM

For someone so powerful in fashion, her personal style is boring imo and I haaaaaaaate her hair with a passion!

by Anonymousreply 192April 24, 2020 6:53 PM

[quote] What the fuck is Charlie, a perfume? A chocolate factory?

More like an eighteenth-century European courtier, but even more obsequious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193April 24, 2020 6:59 PM

Funny how this charlie person thinks that his comments are always the be all, end all on any thread, as if once he has spoken, everyone else can just clam up.

What a pedantic little twit he is for a shop bottom, especially one of his advanced years.

by Anonymousreply 194April 24, 2020 7:05 PM

Does he? I think he kinda weighs in from his own particular world, which isn't my world, but I kind of like to hear about it. I don't get the charlie hate.

by Anonymousreply 195April 24, 2020 7:11 PM

[quote] I don't get the charlie hate.

I take it that you've never been in a Babs thread before.

by Anonymousreply 196April 24, 2020 7:14 PM

[quote] Large cities have lost much of their allure in the past few years.

While that is true, the internet & social media is still looking at the taste makers at American & British Vogue, located in large cities, to tell them what is going to sell trend wise.

by Anonymousreply 197April 24, 2020 7:29 PM

Today's "tastemakers" at American & British Vogue?

No no no. They are called influencers now, and they live on Instagram and TikTok.

by Anonymousreply 198April 24, 2020 7:35 PM

I don't understand the Charlie hate either. I like his stories.

by Anonymousreply 199April 24, 2020 7:41 PM

But isn't he already "lingering on, incapacitated"? Like for the last two decades? I doubt that he saved a nickel (size 50XL moo-moos made out of the upholstery of 1972 Cadillacs are NOT cheap) when he had the chance, so he's just trying to make a buck. Bucket. Mmmmm bucket of chicken.

by Anonymousreply 200April 24, 2020 7:41 PM

[quote] No no no. They are called influencers now, and they live on Instagram and TikTok.

The influencer get PAID to shill something. Who pays them? The companies which created their fashionable product based on taste makers' recommendations. Trends don't start with the influencers. They just sell them to their followers.

by Anonymousreply 201April 24, 2020 7:51 PM

R201 I totally agree, today's influencers have zero creativity, not creative output at all. The last time that street/ anti-fashion culture spawned any sort of fashion influence was circa early to mid 1990s with grunge, when it was fashion being influenced upwards instead of downwards. Fashion houses were busy copping the grunge look but more upscale. And I wasn't even a fan of that look in high school. But that short period quickly faded away and it was designer labels and exclusivity, even grunge princesses like Courtney Love were into that shit. Now fashion is bland and there's no style, no POV anymore, all the influencers look and dress the same because they take their MERCHING orders from retailers and fashion industry.

by Anonymousreply 202April 24, 2020 8:02 PM

Hello Angels.

by Anonymousreply 203April 24, 2020 8:34 PM

Goodbye, Hack!

by Anonymousreply 204April 24, 2020 8:35 PM

What about ME.

by Anonymousreply 205April 24, 2020 8:37 PM

The rotund court jester was banished from the castle for not being amusing any more and the evil queen lived happily after

by Anonymousreply 206April 24, 2020 8:42 PM

He should turn the book into a movie! My Buffet with Andre.

by Anonymousreply 207April 24, 2020 8:47 PM

[quote] I don't get the charlie hate.

[quote] I take it that you've never been in a Babs thread before.

Or a Kennedys thread, where he will go on and on about that hyperarticulate and charismatic superstar Caroline.

by Anonymousreply 208April 24, 2020 9:11 PM

any poster who regularly signs a name will get hate trolls, which is why most of us don't do it

by Anonymousreply 209April 24, 2020 9:18 PM

He sounds just like a datalounger. An exhausting datalounger.

by Anonymousreply 210April 24, 2020 9:28 PM

Here she is, arriving somewhere dressed as Queen Mary (the person, not the ship. Although...) And are we really expected to believe that Madge offered to blow her? How would one do that without a floor jack?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211April 24, 2020 10:14 PM

So much nasty hate on this thread about people none of you know.

by Anonymousreply 212April 24, 2020 10:45 PM

Lots of jealousy here too.

by Anonymousreply 213April 24, 2020 10:46 PM

[R170], I am not sure I understand your post, "Kevin Spacey, when he was a guest on The Actor's Studio brought to you by Lipton Tea (joke) said that to succeed as an actor you have to breathe it, eat it, become it. Jimi Hendrix never put his guitar down; he'd play it at meals (must've been a right bother in bed wiv all them groupies), Please don't quit your day job. Ever.

—cringing with pain"

I come to DL and read far more posts than I respond to. And when I respond I try to make sure I get my point across. I have to admit the post that contained those sentences just would not let me shake free. I made sure to proof it. Not all humour has to fall into a certain niche.*

*You, for example. But that's something I'll save for when I have more time. As in never. I also find myself far more self-concious posting anything here than anywhere else there's two other sites I visit fairly regularly). One site is non judgemental in the extreme and all the members are supportive of each other. So unlike here.

And when I'm self-concious I can get nervous. When I get nervous I will write silly things.

There now! I will say, both me, your social workers, and the jury that convicted you, are all quite chuffed that you've actually gotten it together enough to compose a complete sentence!

Baby steps. Now, don't push yourself too hard. But honestly, when has anybody every accused you of anything other than sayig things that nobody can rememer five minutes later?

I'm having too much fun with this. Have a good weekend at the halfway house. Be sure you clean that remote now!

by Anonymousreply 214April 24, 2020 10:47 PM

Shouldn't he be grateful that he is no longer working at Vogue but living in relative safety in the White Plains area? I mean, a man his age, and with his size, if he should have gotten Coronavirus, as he would most likely have gotten if he still lived and worked in the city, he would be dead by now.

by Anonymousreply 215April 25, 2020 10:03 AM

He's doing this trying to drum up sales for his book, pure and simple. No one cares about him personally, but if he dishes dirt on AW, he'll get the Page Six attention he so desperately craves.

by Anonymousreply 216April 25, 2020 1:32 PM

white plains got hit hard and early with this health crisis.

by Anonymousreply 217April 25, 2020 3:32 PM

R194 Kindly insert your tongue into a dead dog's anus. TIA!

by Anonymousreply 218April 25, 2020 9:34 PM

R194 Kindly insert your tongue into a dead dog's anus. TIA!

by Anonymousreply 219April 25, 2020 9:34 PM

I sold a dead dog's anus to Anthony Perkins in '78. Impeccable manners.

by Anonymousreply 220April 25, 2020 9:36 PM

Please find here a much better written and well balanced article than the crap OP posted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221April 27, 2020 2:31 PM

This memoir sounds like an impending expensive failure, like that awful documentary with the pretentious title “The Gospel According to Andre”. There is a lot to dislike about this old gasbag, like his prattling on about how much fancy clothing and how many expensive vacations he mooched off of gross old Karl Lagerfeld before being dropped for Choupette, the late designer’s famously spoiled cat. He may be under some form of pressure to drag & shade Anna Wintour to build some interest in his memoir. It’s not nice to kick a broke old hoarder when he’s down, but he represents all the putrid artificiality of the fashion world in a time that has mercifully ended. He is unfortunately much less important as a style icon than he seems to think, and there are better examples of diverse creative influencers like Oswald Boateng who actually built businesses and produced goods. ALT is usually described (charitably) as a cheerleader for haute couture and that is a pretty shitty legacy. He might be remembered more fondly if he wasn’t such a greedy, needy hanger-on. His “champions” are dead now, or just plain sick of him. A bitchy memoir seems undignified and desperate. It’s sad. Sorry, mate.

by Anonymousreply 222April 28, 2020 11:48 PM

[quote]There is a lot to dislike about this old gasbag,

But, there's a lot to like about him too. His poor beginnings and how people believed in him to push him into being one of the major personalities in the fashion industry. A tall, black, gay, man, in the heavily religious south and black community, could not have been easy.

by Anonymousreply 223April 28, 2020 11:53 PM

Hate to dis a brother, but he’s grotesque. Not just because of the weight, but he’s UGLAY. Surrounded by all of these beautiful people who have access to the best in skin, hair care and yes, weight control and he looks like that?

by Anonymousreply 224April 29, 2020 12:14 AM

^Which only makes his story even better, R224

by Anonymousreply 225April 29, 2020 12:16 AM

[R22], I applaud you.

by Anonymousreply 226April 29, 2020 12:40 AM

Um, stick an extra '2' in there, please...

by Anonymousreply 227April 29, 2020 12:41 AM

Anna, in her Emmapeeler.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228April 29, 2020 5:03 AM

[quote] Hate to dis a brother

Then don't. Whatever happened to black is beautiful

by Anonymousreply 229April 29, 2020 5:08 AM

Black is bountiful.

by Anonymousreply 230April 29, 2020 5:11 AM

R230, very clever (not)

What a cheap shot. I bet you feel so proud

by Anonymousreply 231April 29, 2020 5:19 AM

I don’t think that applies to Leon r229.

by Anonymousreply 232April 29, 2020 11:02 AM

R214 = butthurt fraucunt

by Anonymousreply 233April 29, 2020 11:35 AM

Andre Leon Talley: The Silence Breaker

RalphRucci: Now you DO REALIZE that a door, locked for years, out of fear of retribution for truth, has been OPENED WIDE. My dear friend and man of such vision, intelligence, and hurt has spoken forth regarding the British woman who works at Vogue. I am proud of him for taking this step because there has been so much personal evil and destruction, and now perhaps others will feel safe to speak.

Last night He asked when will I find my space of strength and tell all. I told him and you that I will.... now he must take center stage. I have been working on all of the evil memories, and we have emailed and photographed proof along with many, many people who came forth and spoken..... and I will write about what I had to contend with concerning this very, very meaningless person who deeply knew that she had no substance to exist in the realms of Snow, Vreeland, Mirabella, Orton, Weir, and thus she had to ice berg her self to float through the sea and destroy not help our metier. It’s finished! The recalibration of life, perspective, and the essence, which is the need and destination of love, will now lift this disease. Oh, she did not act alone, she had a diabolical man who assisted in the santanic plan. Karma. It’s a severe injury to the brain to realize that we have tolerated this mediocrity in our metier for almost four decades.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234April 30, 2020 3:32 AM

Who the fuck is that linked at r234?

by Anonymousreply 235April 30, 2020 3:37 AM

Daaaaaaaaaaamn, Ralph!

by Anonymousreply 236April 30, 2020 3:53 AM

which diablocal man is Ralph referring to? The Newhouses? Alex Lieberman?

by Anonymousreply 237April 30, 2020 3:56 AM

ALT’s intense (autistic?) focus on the lavish details of old, frausty couture (buttons, linings, rare and unusual fabrics) probably was considered expertise for a time, and he was very fortunate (and, to be fair, industrious in a way) to find ways to monetize that. But these last years of his career are sad, though. All the boasting and “ruined finery” is more irritating than interesting. Also, taking public cheap shots at Anna Wintour might not end well for him. He is becoming a pariah. She was probably too good to him for too long.

If the rock&roll groupie/skank memoirist Pamela Des Barres and Marcel Proust produced a child, and you inflated that child with an air hose and draped it in some silk, you might have another ALT. But would you want that?

by Anonymousreply 238April 30, 2020 1:29 PM

say what u will the doc THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO ANDRE is magnifique ~~ jus saw it....great fun,,,,the ho knew ev body!!!$$$$$

by Anonymousreply 239April 30, 2020 1:34 PM

Indeed, tho the black lady/narrator (wears that yellow big assed coat near the end) with big bug eyes and pompous way of talking reduces it to a mess.

by Anonymousreply 240April 30, 2020 2:39 PM

Damn, sounds like Ralph Rucci could give a master class in Mary!

by Anonymousreply 241April 30, 2020 2:56 PM

[quote]But these last years of his career are sad, though. All the boasting and “ruined finery” is more irritating than interesting.

What would you suggest that he do? I'm serious. Given his experience, but with his age, and the state of the fashion industry, what can he do?

by Anonymousreply 242April 30, 2020 2:58 PM

"...buttons, linings, rare and unusual fabrics..."

Polyester mass produced poor quality duds suit you R238.

by Anonymousreply 243April 30, 2020 4:18 PM

R242 ideally he could curate, consult and advise museum exhibits and documentaries/nonfiction media. He is well-educated and experienced. Yet when doing that previously, he was described as impossible to deal with, wheeling around on a scooter and admonishing subordinates not to distract him. On the set of his awful documentary he was generally miserable to deal with, barking commands like “I need coffee!” to bystanders who were not even involved with the production. He’s an unusual, complex, and messy presence. Hopefully he has the means to age comfortably. I hope he leaves more to his alma mater and to SCAD than piles of old clothes and books. Maybe he will be able to do that if his book sells, and that may be why they are trying to build interest in it through the tabloid culture. But it sounds kind of desperate, a “hail, Mary” pass. Sorry to sound cold here, but he is an interesting public case, professionally. Almost an allegory.

by Anonymousreply 244April 30, 2020 5:00 PM

[quote][R242] ideally he could curate, consult and advise museum exhibits and documentaries/nonfiction media. He is well-educated and experienced.

I agree with you, R244. But, I think his ego is too overblown for that. In never really being THE diva I think he believes that he is now and deserves his shot to be that. However, it doesn't work that way. I can see him doing television. Doing like those 15 minute fashion reviews like Elsa Klensch used to do. The audience would get its expert and he would get his ego boost.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245April 30, 2020 5:19 PM

[R238], in a hazy dream world vision, I see you as officiating my marriage. Your post makes so much sense and says what I want to say without the fillagree. Ta-ra...

by Anonymousreply 246April 30, 2020 5:33 PM

Handbags at dawn.

by Anonymousreply 247April 30, 2020 5:38 PM

Purse !

he can sell his house, clothes, bags and jewelry and live ok, in a hovel in Queens. start a GoFundMe u old hippo

Anna gonna gitcha good!

by Anonymousreply 248May 1, 2020 1:58 PM

Sigh....still more huffing and puffing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249May 1, 2020 9:30 PM

[quote]Elsewhere in his memoir, Talley recalled sharing a baked potato and caviar with the late designer Halston — alongside lines of cocaine —

How delicious!

by Anonymousreply 250May 1, 2020 9:45 PM

R249 Wait, what? Tally was offended that no one at Vogue acknowledged an op-Ed piece that he managed to get into print? Seriously, these teasers in PageSix look suspiciously like paid media to build interest in a shitty memoir. But it’s very cynical and dirty to mischaracterize Wintour and CN’s editorial team as racist for not lauding his limp, factually incorrect op-Ed piece. Yeah, yeah...Wintour is a cold fish. So, what? She is proper to simply not engage with ALT and his cheesy, bootleg press machine. He really is not and wasn’t ever really any great icon of equity or diversity. He is not an intellectual like Ta-Nehisi Coates, but more so a spoiled narcissist and a gadfly fop. This last, inelegant gasp for attention is so cheap and amateurish. From his awful documentary and now this feeble tabloid push to build heat around a follow-on memoir, it looks like this poor guy is desperate, really disloyal and “confused” by the way his influential associations ended. He is like an overfed, wounded skunk scratching at the door at the end of summer, not ready for a cold, lean Wintour (Sorry for clumsy pun/homonym). Here’s a helpful tip for ALT: Print “remainder” on the spine of that crappy memoir...save the booksellers a step. I say this with love in my heart, but this tedious mess really needs to bugger off and get lost...ungrateful guttersnipe.

by Anonymousreply 251May 1, 2020 11:00 PM

R234. I follow Ralph Rucci on Instagram and while he’s a talented designer, he is easily the most pretentious person I follow. I especially love when describing some socialite as his BFF with exquisite taste, he would misspell her name.

by Anonymousreply 252May 1, 2020 11:39 PM

^MMPH... very scary.

How many people are there that have developed superficial relationships and have never built a life for themselves? It sounds to me that ATL has grown into an old, fat, and bitter queen, that is very lonely.

by Anonymousreply 253May 1, 2020 11:41 PM

Ralph Rucci isn’t pretentious. He’s the most down to earth person who also HAPPENS to be the most talented designer alive. The fact that he’s sticking up for his friend, in a very gracious way, speaks volumes about his character. He’s very kind.

by Anonymousreply 254May 1, 2020 11:44 PM

[quote]I follow Ralph Rucci on Instagram

I started following him long ago because he had a dog that I fell in love with just through pictures. I miss Twombly.

Things are heating up here with Mr. ATL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255May 1, 2020 11:48 PM

This devil knows nada.

by Anonymousreply 256May 1, 2020 11:48 PM

But what does ALT expect really? Besides interior design, I cannot think of any industry with a bitchier, more mean girl attitude than fashion. Two good fashion books I recently read were Loulou & Yves and The Beautiful Fall, both about YSL.

by Anonymousreply 257May 2, 2020 12:11 AM

Is that a wig or Anna's real hair? Her hairdo hasn't changed in eons.

by Anonymousreply 258May 2, 2020 12:17 AM

Anna Wintour looks like the killer tranny from Dressed to Kill.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259May 3, 2020 9:08 PM

its fun shits n giggles to see the big bag hag andre on u tube yappin up a storm, like he so smart, yet cant push away the twinkies and mashed taters

WEAK

by Anonymousreply 260May 4, 2020 12:04 PM

ALT-wrong

by Anonymousreply 261May 4, 2020 6:50 PM

Fashion insiders relish Anna Wintour backlash amid stalled Met Gala, catty memoir

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262May 4, 2020 10:16 PM

[quote]Talley told WWD that he sent Wintour a galley of the book and that she asked him to make a few changes, which he did. But sources told The Post that Wintour was also extremely hurt by the highly personal nature of his attacks, as were her longtime loyal colleagues at the magazine.

So, I view this simply as sour grapes from Talley. He was fat. He no longer really worked hard and contributed. She told him to get out. End of story.

by Anonymousreply 263May 4, 2020 10:51 PM

R263

[quote] He no longer really worked hard and contributed.

For some (I presume remnants from slavery days) blacks never work 'hard enough'.

Leon Talley is a household name, he does not have to 'work hard and contribute' , he has done more than enough — that should be left to the likes of you.

by Anonymousreply 264May 4, 2020 11:09 PM

André Leon Talley: The "Glass Ceiling" at Vogue /2014

After 30 years at Vogue, the world's most influential fashion magazine, André Leon Talley left to become the editor-at-large for the Russian edition of the fashion magazine Numéro. Watch as he reveals his disappointments with the fashion industry and why he was finally ready to leave his long-held position. Plus, André dishes about the person he calls "the most powerful woman in fashion," Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265May 4, 2020 11:41 PM

Didn’t he have a short stint as the “fashion guru” at ZAPPOS.COM?😂

Well, he did. And he’s also quite FAT!

by Anonymousreply 266May 5, 2020 4:44 AM

"Enjoy walking through the delights of the outdoor, and in fairness, tentative exhibition Andre Leon Talley: Haberdash for Humanity."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267May 5, 2020 8:41 AM

old bitch had his day in the sun, be humble that she kept ur phat arse around as long as she did...u have to be healthy thin and decent lookin to be a voguer.....grace coddington excluded...

tho im shockd skunt anna still there, she has stabbed a lot of folks in da back.

WHO WILL REPLACE HER SKINNY ASS?

by Anonymousreply 268May 5, 2020 11:01 AM

Fatness aside, the real issue with this fellow is his giant ego and gross self-misperception of his influence and stature. It’s hard to be honest about his meaningful creative output without sounding racist, but the objective truth is that there are so many more esteemed role models of his profile who did not undervalue their mentors and protectors. He was essentially a cheerleader for haute couture and a personality in an archaic fashion world, yet he aspires for recognition way beyond that. He was more lucky than talented. In his last years, he was more of a preening narcissist than any sort of creative force. His documentary and now memoir underlie forms of holographic legacy. Lots of anecdotes about ridiculously clothes (“Charvet, darling!”), but not much substance or gravitas. He was generally good at building affinity with talented, famous and industrious people, but he isn’t really one himself. His big talents are eating, taking, boasting and self-aggrandizing, but these are not so interesting or meaningful anymore. Even his triumph over adversity is overstated when you think honestly about real icons of diversity in creative media. He’s just obnoxious. Scratch the surface, and find very little underneath. It’s sad but also irritating. Next stop: Reality tv, something like My 600-lb Life - Celebrity Edition. He also misspeaks and misuses words and ideas like aristocracy, and that’s unacceptable for any sort of editor, even one “at-large”.

by Anonymousreply 269May 5, 2020 1:57 PM

Her ego apparently increased as her girth got obese.....food over health/appealing looking.....twas his choice.

gravy n biscuits:::::blame it on granny missy.

by Anonymousreply 270May 5, 2020 2:03 PM

Thank you, R269. It's not about racism--although I will not dismiss ATL's comments about racism within the fashion industry. This is about ATL and his attitude. That's why I found R264's hurtful and offensive.

by Anonymousreply 271May 5, 2020 2:06 PM

In the pantheon of Warhol associates, ALT succeeded at staying in orbit, and hopped across the river on stones like Lagerfeld and Wintour and a few socialites, too. But this last public, passive character assassination of Wintour is really cynical and dirty. Other Warhol acolytes and affiliates like Fran Lebowitz and Penny Arcade and Bob Colacello moved on as more fully actualized adults. ALT can’t seem to manage that. He needs much more attention, and he’s willing to debase himself and others to get it. There is a sad and desperate artificiality to Talley that others in that sad, lurid bygone era let go of. ALT, not so much. In his shitty documentary, comment and faint praise by his associates seemed so forced and measured, like a producer stood a few feet off camera with a gun pointed at subjects like Wintour, who manages to praise his knowledge of obscure details related to couture. No one but Talley himself says he worked hard, saved a project, offered any tangible improvements to the systems that sustained him. He was, and is, a terrestrial remora, an air-breathing suckerfish. Maybe that’s interesting?

by Anonymousreply 272May 5, 2020 2:45 PM

They all seem on the spectrum. Good at detail; terrible at humanity. I’m including Anna in that. The giveaway in the fashion world is all the vocal affect. Its an aspies trait. So don’t look for empathy from them.

by Anonymousreply 273May 5, 2020 2:53 PM

[quote]He needs much more attention, and he’s willing to debase himself and others to get it. There is a sad and desperate artificiality to Talley that others in that sad, lurid bygone era let go of. ALT, not so much.

YES!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274May 5, 2020 2:56 PM

R273 Exactly. I sensed that in a few social interactions with Talley. He trails off in conversations unrelated to fashion, celebrity or himself. That obsessive focus on fashion in his youth and the poor quality of his peer relationships are markers for socially affective disorder, also hoarding and extreme behaviors like overspending, overeating, over-leveraging tenuous relationships. I wish he had a real friend to help him, to encourage him to behave more sensibly, like, I don’t know, Anna Wintour and his health intervention. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to watch him recast his experience at CN as any form of mistreatment. He was so fortunate but incapable of honesty or humility. That’s sad, really.

by Anonymousreply 275May 5, 2020 3:02 PM

I'm still not sure what he ever did to earn his keep.

by Anonymousreply 276May 5, 2020 4:34 PM

[quote]I’ve met Wintour- at a large charity dinner where she was a speaker. She was incredibly impressive in the support of Obama at the time and her Philanthropic efforts and initiatives for the HIV affected in the fashion industry. She was cordial, funny, and looked great. She is more than Vogue editor now at CN and I suspect much of the criticism of her is basically misogyny. She would have an entirely different rep if she was a he.

You’re not alone, Charlie. Several of us have met her.

The question then becomes what did we think?

I tend towards another opinion. Anna is akin to The Wizard of Oz. All puffed up on little but steely ego, intimidation and pretension. Her style isn’t even great: she just wields fear like a female overlord; threatening true talents in positions below her. (I can’t speak of ALT, but can of Grace Coddington.)

Anna’s time has long passed. Will be a breath of fresh air to see her go.

Then the question becomes, Who - and What - next?

by Anonymousreply 277May 5, 2020 5:13 PM

Review by Alexandra Shulman, former Editor in Chief of British VOGUE, of The Chiffon Trenches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278May 5, 2020 9:18 PM

That review is a fair and honest one. ALT seems like a real spoiled narcissist with a chip on his shoulder. I was surprised at how many times Wintour tried to help him recover his health, and how generous CN was in paying for his treatment. He looks really, really graceless, a miserable combination of self-aggrandizement and self-pity. One thing I don’t understand is how Lagerfeld’s shirts fit ALT. It sounds like Lagerfeld took Talley into the bedroom of his hotel suite, and took the shirts from his own wardrobe. But their sizes couldn’t have been the same. I saw a lot of Lagerfeld when I lived in Paris, and he was not a big guy, perhaps 5’9”. I also ran into Talley there (he wore a top hat) and Wintou, too, at the Ritz. She is tiny and fit. I also thought it was interesting how the reviewer notes how Wintour’s thinness enabled room in the front row of fashion shows for ALT. That’s some shade.

by Anonymousreply 279May 5, 2020 11:12 PM

[quote] ALT seems like a real spoiled narcissist with a chip on his shoulder.

YES!!! It's HIM! Racism does not even enter the picture as far as I'm concerned. IT'S HIM!!!! I think that R264 should apologize to everyone on this thread for being so hurtful and offensive to many of us here because of their posting.

by Anonymousreply 280May 6, 2020 11:59 AM

Four interventions about his weight? I’m guessing that they didn’t take....

by Anonymousreply 281May 7, 2020 1:01 AM

I understand that Wintour is a frosty cunt, however-who isn't in that industry, really? And if they're not, isn't that all fake anyway? The fashion industry strikes me as a seething viper pit--an aesthetic one, mind you--full of Gaboon & eyelash vipers rather than the usual rattlesnake riff-raff, but still...why do you only hear about her?

The biggest complaint, that she cheapened it by putting Kardashians on the cover was a hard business decision that had to be made in the new era. Publishing was taking a hit, and everyone was struggling to the point were a major shift was needed. You either go up or go down right now, there is no-one trying for the middle. She knew she had to go down at that point in time. Maybe the way she did it wasn't perfect, but it was a reasonable decision. It's not WWD, ffs.

I feel like I'm the only one who watched The September Issue & had no problem with her. (Granted, she's different in front of cameras; IMHO, the essence was true, though.) She was harsh, but spot on. I'm not one to jump on the outraged tumblr train, but I honestly wonder with her if she'd get the same criticisms as a male.

Do any of you queens in the industry have horror stories that can enlighten me as to why she gets all the hate?

by Anonymousreply 282May 7, 2020 8:45 AM

Sorry, he's disgusting. I wouldn't want to sit next to him; he'd be farting non-stop.

by Anonymousreply 283May 7, 2020 9:42 AM

Agree with r282 completely. The numbers would have been terrible if AW had decided to go up. Like it or not, Kim and gang defined this era.

by Anonymousreply 284May 7, 2020 8:47 PM

Screw the tell-all and instead write a book about style and everything you know. If you’re an authority, be an authority. What will your legacy be? Knowledge, or a catty tell-all? I wouldn’t let Anna ruin my career. I would create more art to show how much they lost by dismissing me. He’s just feeding her legend rather than his own.

by Anonymousreply 285May 8, 2020 6:24 PM

^ Excellent advice

by Anonymousreply 286May 8, 2020 6:31 PM

^ Exactly. His contributions seem to be nebulous and limited, at best. He would have served himself better by having a reason for his book other than being a catty bitch.

by Anonymousreply 287May 8, 2020 9:19 PM

The advance, [R287]?

by Anonymousreply 288May 8, 2020 11:01 PM

Wasn’t his book ALT about fashion? He’s not gonna write anything about his love life...who’d sleep with him without charging money?

by Anonymousreply 289May 10, 2020 3:52 AM

This thread is filled with angry White Devils I see. You white supremacists never stop, and no one with melanin in their skin is ever good enough for you assholes.

You all chip away at anything that isn't a Wasp.

by Anonymousreply 290May 10, 2020 5:17 AM

You pretend you're high Pretend you're bored Pretend you're anything Just to be adored And what you need Is what you get

Don't believe in fear Don't believe in faith Don't believe in anything That you can't break

stupid girl stupid girl All you had you wasted All you had you wasted

What drives you on Can drive you mad A million lies to sell yourself Is all you ever had

Don't believe in love Don't believe in hate Don't believe in anything That you can't waste

stupid girl stupid girl Can't believe you fake it Can't believe you fake it

Don't believe in fear Don't believe in pain Don't believe in anyone That you can't tame

stupid girl stupid girl All you had you wasted All you had you wasted

Stupid girl Stupid girl Can't believe you fake it I can't believe you fake it

Stupid girl Stupid girl Can't believe you fake it Can't believe you fake it

Stupid girl

by Anonymousreply 291May 10, 2020 7:39 AM

[quote]I wouldn’t let Anna ruin my career.

She didn't ruin his career. If anything, ATL is ruining his own career and legacy.

MAN! That's A LOT of material! But, good work and kudos to Ralph Rucci for giving him this look. It's quite "fitting." The Queen very much looks like a Grande Dame.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292May 10, 2020 11:37 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293May 10, 2020 11:46 AM

Ok, he looks foolish in those things.

by Anonymousreply 294May 10, 2020 4:47 PM

Car covers are back!

by Anonymousreply 295May 10, 2020 5:13 PM

[quote]Ok, he looks foolish in those things.

I think she looks regal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296May 10, 2020 5:15 PM

He looks like a half inflated hot air balloon.

by Anonymousreply 297May 10, 2020 5:22 PM

His parachute didn't open.

by Anonymousreply 298May 10, 2020 5:22 PM

FAT SHAMING!

by Anonymousreply 299May 10, 2020 5:26 PM

Elegant!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300May 10, 2020 5:30 PM

^ Bitch stole my boat cover!

by Anonymousreply 301May 10, 2020 5:34 PM

Channeling Diane von Fürstenberg

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302May 10, 2020 6:07 PM

Talley has to find another reality type show to go on. You'd be surprised how many people are aware of him only because of his judging appearance on ANTM. I think he was only on for one or two seasons but he made his mark and was a good and fair judge. He also had some catch phrases that were good. I could see him on PR, or maybe an African American centered design program.

by Anonymousreply 303May 10, 2020 6:12 PM

“Andre Leon Talley, of the circus-tent caftan Talleys” *DEAD x3*

by Anonymousreply 304May 10, 2020 6:14 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305May 10, 2020 7:44 PM

Stylistically speaking, with his extreme weight, caftans are his best bet.

by Anonymousreply 306May 10, 2020 7:58 PM

[R290], it's not as simple as that.

by Anonymousreply 307May 10, 2020 8:28 PM

R290 Unfortunately, he marginalized himself through a pattern of peevish and self-interested behaviors that are equally offensive in individuals of any race, gender, weight or socioeconomic background. You might actually argue that he wasn’t called into account sooner because of the protected classes of his identity. Thin white straight selfish egomaniacs are treated just as harshly as this prat was, and often a lot worse. So the misattribution of racism to his banishment to the demimonde is really disrespectful to those who have actually experienced it in the real world. Cut that shit out, seriously.

by Anonymousreply 308May 10, 2020 9:54 PM

R308 - he needs to be “called to account” for what reason?

by Anonymousreply 309May 10, 2020 11:36 PM

What does he see when he looks into the mirror?

by Anonymousreply 310May 14, 2020 4:02 PM

A giant chocolate covered macaron

by Anonymousreply 311May 14, 2020 4:10 PM

[quote]So the misattribution of racism to his banishment to the demimonde

Oh dear.

While I appreciate your word choice, your syntax is, unfortunately, atrocious. Try this instead:

So the misattribution of his banishment to the demimonde to racism

by Anonymousreply 312May 14, 2020 4:47 PM

There are many successful white men in the world who have been quite noted pricks, sobs and bastards. There still are. I don't recall Vreeland getting this amount of hate.

by Anonymousreply 313May 14, 2020 11:36 PM

R296 bears a close resemblance to Aunt Pitty Pat - pass me the smelling salts.

by Anonymousreply 314May 14, 2020 11:54 PM

There are plenty of white fashionistas we attack here. I’ll say it - Vreeland was an ugly woman. Ok. Said. Gisele Bundchen looks like a horse. Karl Lagerfeld was an assclown.

And ALT is a fat, obnoxious queen.

by Anonymousreply 315May 15, 2020 1:00 AM

From NYT’s review of The Chiffon Trenches: It is a tragedy: the story of how one man sold, if not his soul, then his heart, his intelligence and his body of knowledge for the sake of a suite of branded suitcases and Hilditch & Key crepe de Chine shirts. And it is a horror story, about what happens when you confuse your professional life with real life.

by Anonymousreply 316May 16, 2020 12:58 AM

But, hasn't he earned his right to be a diva too just like his contemporaries?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317May 16, 2020 1:09 AM

The Andre Léon Talley documentary was excellent. It sounds like there's more juiciness in the book. I'll have to get it.

by Anonymousreply 318May 16, 2020 1:14 AM

LOL r295, r301!

by Anonymousreply 319May 16, 2020 2:05 AM

What did the man ever accomplish in life? Sounds like he was a glorified go-fer.

by Anonymousreply 320May 16, 2020 3:18 AM

NONE OF THEM deserve the right to be divas. For r217. None of them. Sure it’s entertaining to hear what they say and gush over what they wear. But it doesn’t give them the right to be shitty people.

by Anonymousreply 321May 16, 2020 8:01 AM

He's good friends with Fern Mallis and I remember her appearance on PR. She said very pointedly that you have to be nice in the business. It seemed strange advice because there seem to be so many ultra shitty people in fashion.

by Anonymousreply 322May 16, 2020 1:45 PM

Who is known to be nice in the fashion business?

by Anonymousreply 323May 16, 2020 5:05 PM

R323, Fern?

by Anonymousreply 324May 16, 2020 6:14 PM

R322 Fern created NY Fashion Week. Socially she’s nice, sort of reserved, modest and slightly eclipsed by “influencers” who came into the industry later and benefitted from better tools for self-promotion, like digital strategy.

ALT is passively compliant in the cheesy push to sell this tedious brag book, and he seems to be on the fence (hopefully a very strong one) between implicating his mentor/protector and yet begging pitifully to re-affiliate after being “ghosted”. He’s inept at defending his book “...an epistle to everyone that I love. It’s a love letter to Anna Wintour. I love her deeply.” Unfortunately he spit on her snatch and over-leveraged his tenuous relationship with her.

He himself explains his talent as an “ability to be beside a small, great, powerful white woman and encourage her vision”. There isn’t much dignity in that, or really anything about this guy. His downward spiral began with a “devastating” profile in the New Yorker by a writer named Hilton Als in 1994. He’s a messy pariah, a real ingrate, and a very small, bitter person.

by Anonymousreply 325May 16, 2020 6:45 PM

His behavior and comments made at The Gaiety are priceless!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326May 16, 2020 7:25 PM

R325, IIRC, Hattie McDaniel won an Oscar for playing a part like that in GONE WITH THE WIND.

by Anonymousreply 327May 16, 2020 7:30 PM

My goodness, R325 called me SMALL! I'm in love!

by Anonymousreply 328May 16, 2020 7:43 PM

As the late Kal Ruttenstein once said, "If you go back one generation with fashion people, everyone's grandmother made corsets."

by Anonymousreply 329May 16, 2020 9:04 PM

My hand to kiss but not to shake

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330May 16, 2020 10:59 PM

Remember when she sat in the front row with her FLY OPEN HOW MORTIFYING!!

by Anonymousreply 331May 16, 2020 11:53 PM

Air that muffin, chile.

by Anonymousreply 332May 17, 2020 12:28 AM

GROSS

by Anonymousreply 333May 17, 2020 2:21 AM

R326 That’s one freakishly disturbing profile. The description of his appearance (black patent leather pumps with satin bows, a white faux fur muff dragged over a bowl of potato chips in the lounge of a strip joint) seem almost made-up. The pattern of behavior here, particularly the obnoxious hybrid affectation of his speech, is so undignified. This gross guy offers something to irritate everyone, and he doesn’t seem to know it. The description of him laughing at the expression “n-word dandy” is a marker for deep-seated self-contempt, soullessness, and selling out. It’s tough to admire this guy, or even look at him. A real nightmare of ego and vanity and complete lack of any real sense or meaning or worth, only a creepy perverse fascination with frills and nonsense. How many people must regret even knowing this embarrassment, let alone feeding, employing and gifting him fancy food, clothes and travel that only made him more odious over time.

by Anonymousreply 334May 17, 2020 1:34 PM

He's a pretty textbook case of someone who was abused as a child and made up a fantasy world to cope with it. The only difference is that he made the fantasy real, to an extent, largely thanks to his own self-loathing. He was willing to put up with things almost no one else would have.

If he were white and under 200 lbs he wouldn't get half the hate here that he does. Wintour is demonstrably a worse person than Talley, as are the rich bitches who called him racist names and kept him around as a court jester for their amusement, but there's no real hate for them.

by Anonymousreply 335May 17, 2020 1:39 PM

"... as are the rich bitches who called him racist names and kept him around as a court jester for their amusement." His silence when they called him those names implies consent. Stop it, racist tard. It's not working.

by Anonymousreply 336May 17, 2020 2:09 PM

“ His silence when they called him those names implies consent.”

That’s true, and it’s been known for a long time, and disclosed by a peer, in a pretty well-regarded periodical, The New Yorker.

by Anonymousreply 337May 17, 2020 2:22 PM

R336 and R337, are you implying that Andre Talley is a racist? I don't understand.

by Anonymousreply 338May 17, 2020 7:30 PM

[quote]...... rich bitches who called him racist names and kept him around as a court jester for their amusement, but there's no real hate for them.

He chose to be the court jester. If it bothered him that much, he should have left. Of course what they said and did to him was awful. But it was more important to him to get invited to the right parties with the right people and behave like the thirsty fringe dweller that he is.

Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.".

by Anonymousreply 339May 17, 2020 9:25 PM

Anyone know what his house looks like?

by Anonymousreply 340May 17, 2020 9:37 PM

[quote]He chose to be the court jester. If it bothered him that much, he should have left.

I think that I would agree with this. But, it seems as if many of you forget the era and the racism that ATL had to put up with. He speaks about that to some extent. I don't think that he ever considered himself as "one of them." Right or wrong, he knew his place. What more could he have done?

by Anonymousreply 341May 17, 2020 9:37 PM

What’s his “place”? Asking for a friend...

by Anonymousreply 342May 17, 2020 10:02 PM

You certainly know what I mean, R342. Let's not do the race baiting about such an important topic, okay?

While I do agree with many here that ATL is full of himself... so to speak, there was a glass ceiling and he did rise to quite high levels under those circumstances. There's no question that he opened doors for younger people of color. Unfortunately, he has chosen to rest on his laurels rather than continuing to push forward--IMHO. I guess he's tired.

by Anonymousreply 343May 17, 2020 10:08 PM

I think he’s bitter: overweight, no job, with former fashion friends ghosting him.

by Anonymousreply 344May 18, 2020 12:26 AM

R252, Hi Anna!

by Anonymousreply 345May 18, 2020 12:40 AM

“Thirsty Fringe Dweller“ is my new drag name!

by Anonymousreply 346May 18, 2020 12:42 AM

Actually, now that I read the New Yorker piece (which, btw, was full of editing errors...?) I feel like his job actually was somewhat difficult in the beginning. It seems like a lot of DV’s dramatic personality rubbed off on him. I mean, he was probably always dramatic, but she made it seem workplace friendly.

by Anonymousreply 347May 18, 2020 4:56 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348May 18, 2020 4:32 PM

[quote]When Talley was 9, he began to be sexually abused. “It was not one man, it was many, young adults, teenagers, or men throughout the neighborhood. It was painful. It was serial. And it took place in shame. In shaming places, in dark places—like the woodshed of my house, where they kept the wood and coal.”

MEN!

by Anonymousreply 349May 18, 2020 4:42 PM

[quote]Since childhood, Talley has gone to church every week. His early life was defined by the routine of worship and today he has returned to that safe space. These days, during the pandemic, he is finding peace through Harlem’s Abyssinian Baptist Church weekly, which he attends via Zoom from his house in upstate New York. “All my friends are church people.”

Yes, yes! Testify!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350May 18, 2020 5:34 PM

He might have been abused or he might be rewriting history from typical consensual homosexual experimentation with boys his own age or not much older.

He grew up in a very religious household and continued to cling to conservative Baptist religion as an adult. To some that leaves a shame so great they would rather claim to have been abused than admit to any homosexual behavior on their part.

I like André’ overall, but I think many of his problems and bouts with depression stem as much from being a self loathing homosexual as from racism. That his best friend is Gloria von Turn und Taxis is also very telling... she’s a deeply closeted and self hating lesbian who also retreated to religion.

The fact that André never really came out even though working in the world of fashion journalism, is still rather coy about his sexuality, and his ridiculous story about only ever falling in love with a woman speaks volumes.

by Anonymousreply 351May 18, 2020 5:37 PM

[quote]and his ridiculous story about only ever falling in love with a woman speaks volumes.

WHAT??? (eyes widen!!!)

That's "Black Church" shame and guilt.

He doesn't like himself.

by Anonymousreply 352May 18, 2020 5:42 PM

Yes, he claims his one true love was a society women whom he refuses to name.

by Anonymousreply 353May 18, 2020 5:45 PM

He has also made comments about his grandmother that contradict her supposedly unconditional love and support for him.

For example, he mentions her once asking him not to walk into church with her and wait on the sidewalk a few minutes first because he was wearing an outfit she deemed too embarrassing and flamboyant... in other words, “faggy”.

by Anonymousreply 354May 18, 2020 5:56 PM

That's very hurtful, R354. I'm sure it left a deep wound. But... and I'm sure many will disagree with me, but it's hard to be a parent and love unconditionally 100% of the time. Even I will admit that were I a straight man, (who had a gay child that I would love and accept him/her), having a child like... hmm... AJ Johnson, might have prove difficult at times for me. It's not so much that I would have been embarrassed for myself but I would have known the difficulties and pain that my child would face in the world. That would be very painful for me.

I sometimes think of the heavy difficulties that someone like a RuPaul had growing up. But, then I think of his mother and the what she had to endure too in loving him and protecting him. The times then were not like they are today and understood like Dwayne Wade and his transexual child.

by Anonymousreply 355May 18, 2020 6:22 PM

[quote] I am not happy with who I am,” Talley says. “I want to continue to try and be kind and not cruel.

One can always stop being a bitch. It's called self-control

[quote]But I have had a difficult life.”

Excuse...

[quote] He says he had the opportunity years ago to go to therapy for his sexual abuse and wishes he would have. “I have not been able to have any intimacy that is successful. I don’t have intimacy with men or women. I am afraid to be touched.” He pauses. “I still don’t know who to trust.”

That's his fear and self-esteem--Iyanla Vanzant

by Anonymousreply 356May 18, 2020 6:33 PM

I have known a surprisingly large amount of African American men who say they were molested as young boys, not by men, but by women.

by Anonymousreply 357May 18, 2020 6:41 PM

Fashion editor André Leon Talley on time at "Vogue" and working with Anna Wintour

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358May 18, 2020 8:56 PM

Too bad the audio is so poor. It may be that he lives in an area of poor coverage and weak cellular signals. He is not filmed in his home, even in his documentary, and almost no one has seen his home’s interior, possibly due to a hoarding situation. He looks to be in very poor health and that’s sad. Even sympathetic journalists like Gayle King are confused by his stance on Wintour, who was right to pull the content related to her children from the galleys.

This poor guy is clumsily trying to build interest in his book, but doing it in an underhanded way. The exposure he is getting might sound like a good opportunity, but it must also be so stressful. I hope it’s worth it to him. His health seems really questionable right now.

by Anonymousreply 359May 18, 2020 9:53 PM

His nose is shaped like Texas.

by Anonymousreply 360May 19, 2020 1:57 AM

Something nasty in the woodshed!

by Anonymousreply 361May 19, 2020 1:00 PM

ALT sometimes reminds me of Augusten Burroughs, but with a lot more ego and messy self-delusion. It’s not clear if anyone, anywhere ever aspired to be like Andre. It’s also really irritating to hear him restate how smart and exceptional he was when there are so many more honest, authentic icons of diversity and self-determination who did more and added more to society (thinking of Temple Grandin, Oliver Sachs, James Comer, Magic Johnson, people like these and others). There is an awful cheapness and intellectual dishonesty to ALT’s solipsism. He was not, is not, anywhere as important or admired as he wants the world to acknowledge. That’s it, really. And his French is not spoken “meticulously” as he claims, but actually only in obnoxious fragments and phrases and Some bad, nonsensical allusions. It must be so awful to be around him, to try and relate to him on any level. The poor guy is is such a mess and doesn’t seem to know it.

by Anonymousreply 362May 19, 2020 3:41 PM

He’s clearly got more issues than VOGUE!!

by Anonymousreply 363May 19, 2020 11:21 PM

I will actually read this book but I doubt he takes any real shots at Anna.

by Anonymousreply 364May 20, 2020 4:14 PM

Have you seen him in those caftans lately? Very mother of the bride!

by Anonymousreply 365May 20, 2020 4:24 PM

R364 Well, he writes about the “ huge emotional and psychological scars” resulting from his relationship with her. That’s not quite a valentine. She’s not a warm, fuzzy type, but she was a very supportive presence in his life and career. It’s really really underhanded and cynical to demonize a mentor and then try to call it a “love letter”. Maybe he’s not bright enough to realize that the promotion of this project has put a blowtorch to a relationship he actually wanted to preserve and restore. I hope it works out for him financially, but ethically and in terms of his already sketchy reputation, he’s blown it badly. Poor sad guy. It’s heartbreaking, really.

by Anonymousreply 366May 20, 2020 7:14 PM

Anna's pussy must be so cold and tight like the rest of her that you need a blowtorch and a shoehorn to warm and loosen it up.

by Anonymousreply 367May 21, 2020 2:19 AM

Look at those hands in the photo with Anna. Hands are so ashy. You know he has bad breath.

by Anonymousreply 368May 21, 2020 3:46 PM

R368. He does. His paint peeling halitosis could knock the flies off a shitwagon

by Anonymousreply 369May 21, 2020 11:49 PM

Ewwww @r369.

What was your experience with his stank ass breath?

by Anonymousreply 370May 22, 2020 12:20 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371May 22, 2020 11:36 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372May 23, 2020 12:26 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373May 23, 2020 12:26 AM

“Through MY eyes, through MY childhood environment, through MY upbringing, MY points of view, and MY references in MY life”

Good for Andre here, being honest that Vogue looked globally at diversity and considered more perspectives than his alone. But it’s a shame he doesn’t understand that his story alone wouldn’t inform a media conglomerate’s entire culture and platform. That’s because their readers and investors cared more about the whole world, not simply Andre’s. It’s painful watching him in the throws of narcissism, pleading how he didn’t find enough personal validation in his tenure at Vogue. Everyone struggled to adulate Andre in his last years there, except Andre himself. Fortunately, he looks unwell here, and his thoughts are disjointed and self-contradictory, so viewers understand.

In the end, Vogue’s concept of diversity was unacceptable to him because it included the perceptions of others and not his exclusively. Yet he was so very fortunate to find a lavish spot in the knitting circle of Wintour, and he fucked it all up by being a nightmare of ego and banking (part successfully) on a Vogue’s difficulty in counseling him out (“constructive dismissal”). So this character assassination and furious public indignation is likely what everyone feared about letting go of him (and trying to find suitable roles for him like blogs, made-up busy work, and wheeling him around The Met gala red carpet). His gradual separation was as tender as Vogue could manage, or afford.

by Anonymousreply 374May 23, 2020 3:00 PM

His time at Vogue ended with pity and resentment and a LOT of embarrassment for everyone, twenty years ago, but “officially” only much later. As bad as this book and its promotion are, it has to better than demoralizing an entire organization by celebrating this pretentious nightmare another minute. It must have taken so much to get him off the tit, “at last”.

But I hope other men like him aren’t excluded from similar opportunities because he is making such a public spectacle here. Indulging that giant, phony, pretentious egomaniac has ended badly for everyone, including Andre himself. He is a sad icon of ego, self-pity and failure.

It’s so unfortunate that he is now an HR benchmark that harms the potential of others. Now we have to stop and think before advancing unconventional colleagues. We have to be sure we never end up with another ALT. In that sense, he is actively undermining the progress we have made diversifying the creative workforce. What a shame.

by Anonymousreply 375May 23, 2020 3:13 PM

How lonely he must be. Most of his friends, I bet, were only that solely based on his tenure at Vogue. Now that he no longer is at the top of the social food chain...his best friends will be the drivers from Grubhub and Uber Eats.

by Anonymousreply 376May 23, 2020 4:38 PM

I'm starting to think something happen during slavery that made a large share of african-americans sexual deviants. Maybe somehow in DNA. And I'm not talking about homosexuality, I'm talking about child molestation and rape.

by Anonymousreply 377May 23, 2020 5:52 PM

Pompous, pretentious windbag whose "accomplishments" amount to nothing. Hard to believe a word that comes out of his mouth, including 'a' and 'the." (Not to coin a phrase.)

by Anonymousreply 378May 23, 2020 5:56 PM

Would you please expand that thought, R377? What exactly do you mean?

by Anonymousreply 379May 23, 2020 6:27 PM

You can only ignore the elephant in the room for so long.

by Anonymousreply 380May 23, 2020 11:40 PM

And what do Anna Wintour's accomplishments amount to? Nothing too. At least, Andre is well-educated. Anna is a hamburger with no education.

by Anonymousreply 381May 23, 2020 11:45 PM

Ignore r378. He’s fantasizing again.

by Anonymousreply 382May 24, 2020 4:11 AM

Well, [381], since Anna's not crowing about her personal achievements, what do you have to say about yours? If you must know, it was her ambition from late childhood to be the editor of American Vogue. She's achieved that. And I don't have the details at my fingertips, but I believe she's generous with her time and money, donating to causes she believes in. She doesn't exactly dine out on that.

by Anonymousreply 383May 24, 2020 4:17 AM

Anna likes big black cock! Ask Bob Marley. if he were still alive.

by Anonymousreply 384May 24, 2020 5:47 AM

This nonsensical shallow drama is one of the main reasons I loathe fashion and anything associated with it. I had to deal with these people for a long time while working as a PR assistant. They're worse than celebrities and that is saying a lot. Fashion attracts the worst kind of humans, shallow, banal, jaded and out of touch.

by Anonymousreply 385May 24, 2020 5:57 AM

Anna is half blind and obviously wears a wig. Conde Nast could save more money by hiring someone's great-grandmother to run the magazine. Wouldn't be much of a difference.

by Anonymousreply 386May 24, 2020 6:17 AM

Book Review

She LOVES it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 387June 8, 2020 8:17 PM

Even with the photoshop he is still unattractive.

by Anonymousreply 388June 9, 2020 4:11 PM

Dear Lord, please deliver us from the broke-ass old hoarder and his creepy fixation on the poor skeletal editrix who fluffed and fed his giant ego for too long. Help him appreciate all that was given to him because he ingratiated himself with wealthy eccentric fetishists until even they cast him out. This messy old prat is a scratched and dented failure, full of himself and full of shit. Help him stay quiet and rest on his special toilet seat until you come for him next week. Amen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 389June 12, 2020 1:06 AM

I've been around Andre Leon Talley a number of times at events. I realize that a few encounters with someone is not enough to paint a whole picture of them. Like everyone, I'm sure he has some redeeming qualities. But I've seen him act like an absolute cunt to service staff and others he deemed beneath him. It's kinda like that red flag that goes up when you're on an early date with someone at a restaurant and he treats the waitstaff condescendingly.

by Anonymousreply 390June 12, 2020 1:13 AM

^And that me to am impasse, R390

On one hand, you would think that he should remember where he comes from and would know how to treat people much better and better appreciate them

But....

On the other hand, hasn't he earned the right to be just as cunty as the cuntiest of his peers?

by Anonymousreply 391June 12, 2020 1:34 AM

Whether he's "earned the right" or not, if you are cunty to service staff you are trash.

by Anonymousreply 392June 12, 2020 1:42 AM

R390 Me, too. The big, greedy mean diva behavior sours perceptions of him in person right away. The finger snapping, dismissiveness and autistic focus on the “importance” of musty old couturiers (“darling do your research!”). His knowledge of collections and designers was admirable in the world he lived in, but it’s not as interesting or meaningful in the real world.

A cancerous personality derailed his gravy train, not his appearance or weight. People were actually kind about his challenges, tried to help and support him. He should admit that and be honest, not cynical and disingenuous.

by Anonymousreply 393June 12, 2020 1:48 AM

[quote]A cancerous personality derailed his gravy train

Don't shed a tear: He still has access to plenty of gravy.

by Anonymousreply 394June 12, 2020 1:59 AM

[quote]^And that me to am impasse, [R390]

MMPH... I really shouldn't gulp wine...

"And that leads me to an impasse, R390"

by Anonymousreply 395June 12, 2020 2:49 AM

damn, that truly sucks r390. Cause I admit from a distance I like him, his largeness, his crazy, his obsessiveness. But sounds like up close and personal, no, just another nightmare. Too bad.

by Anonymousreply 396June 12, 2020 2:53 AM

I’ll say it again. He is the RUDEST “celeb” I have ever been in the company of. REALLY THE WORST

by Anonymousreply 397June 13, 2020 11:20 PM

R391, no one on this earth has “earned” the right to be imperious and cunty to service staff. Not Jesus Christ himself.

by Anonymousreply 398June 13, 2020 11:35 PM

Book Review--You'll love it (6 min)

ANDRE LEON TALLEY and "THE CHIFFON TRENCHES"

The Ultimate Fashion History

REVENUE FROM THIS EPISODE WILL BE DONATED TO BLACK LIVES MATTER CAUSES. FOR COMMENTS, PLEASE JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP. MANY THANKS.

In this episode, fashion historian Amanda Hallay reviews André Leon Talley's May 2020 memoir, "The Chiffon Trenches", through the prism of the BLM movement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399June 16, 2020 3:32 AM

[quote]I’ll say it again. He is the RUDEST “celeb” I have ever been in the company of. REALLY THE WORST

Andre Leon Talley on being labeled a ‘diva’ (3:20 min)

Andre Leon Talley joined Bevy Smith on Bevelations to discuss his new memoir ‘The Chiffon Trenches’ and discussed how he feels about sometimes being labeled a ‘diva’ or a cold hearted fashion person and if it bothered him when the younger generations criticize him for not doing more for the black community.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400June 16, 2020 3:44 AM

He could probably hide the black community underneath that tent. But I doubt that anyone could stand the stink.

by Anonymousreply 401June 16, 2020 9:03 PM

R400 oh, so now he has an answer for all his femmy haughtiness?

HE CAN EAT A BAG OF DICKS, .....HE ATE EVERYTHING ELSE!!

by Anonymousreply 402June 17, 2020 10:45 PM

R28- The bearded guy in the video is cute.

by Anonymousreply 403February 23, 2021 1:19 PM

When Andre Leon Talley sits around the house, 𝒉𝒆 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚 𝒔𝒊𝒕𝒔 𝒂𝒓𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒔𝒆

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404February 23, 2021 1:33 PM

R377, EXACTLY.....NOT.

What a dumb racist cunt you are...

by Anonymousreply 405February 23, 2021 3:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!