Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New Study Says Fasting May Reduce Risk of Cancer, Obesity and Diabetes

[QUOTE] The study included people participating in 30 days of Ramadan fasting. After the 30 days, their blood samples showed an increase in proteins that protect against cancer, obesity, diabetes and even some neurological disorders.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109September 3, 2020 8:39 PM

What a surprise: don't eat and you won't be obese; don't eat and you won't be diabetic.

by Anonymousreply 1April 22, 2020 11:47 PM

Our bodies are made to take long breaks from eating. If you stuff your mouth from sun up to sun down every single day, you’re going to pay a heavy price (pun intended).

by Anonymousreply 2April 22, 2020 11:48 PM

OPWhen are you collecting your Nobel?

by Anonymousreply 3April 22, 2020 11:52 PM

R2 what about the whole eats many small healthy meals thing? I never did that (I almost always save my main meal for dinner and eat very little before then) but nutritionists always pushed that — no more?

by Anonymousreply 4April 22, 2020 11:52 PM

Thought they're allowed to eat after dark, no? So not really fasting, but eating less during those 30 days.

by Anonymousreply 5April 22, 2020 11:54 PM

This is the only thing I miss about going into the office. I had a great results with fasting until 1-2pm. Its much easier for me to fast during the day at work when I'm busy. Since I've been at home I eat more of course.

by Anonymousreply 6April 22, 2020 11:57 PM

For years, I've been fasting for at least 20 consecutive hours, so it's encouraging to see yet another study showing favorable results.

by Anonymousreply 7April 22, 2020 11:58 PM

If they elimated sugar as much as possible, they will lose weight without fasting or being hungry and reverse prediabetes. Eliminate/reduce white carbs, the weight comes off even faster. They just don't want to give up the cakes, pies, cookies, double serving of spaghetti...etc.

by Anonymousreply 8April 23, 2020 12:01 AM

[QUOTE] what about the whole eats many small healthy meals thing? I never did that (I almost always save my main meal for dinner and eat very little before then) but nutritionists always pushed that — no more?

That was always bullshit, R4. The only people who need to eat like that are bodybuilders trying their hardest to gain weight. What’s that tell you?

by Anonymousreply 9April 23, 2020 1:42 PM

Intermittent fasting has made me feel so much better energy wise and even helps me feel more positive

by Anonymousreply 10April 23, 2020 2:56 PM

There are proteins that we already know of that protect against cancer? Why aren't we all aware of this and why aren't they available as some kind of preventative medicine?

by Anonymousreply 11April 23, 2020 3:14 PM

This is another cost of capitalism. Companies have succeeded at getting people hooked on shit.

Of course, we can't act because "muh soda!", "my sweets!", etc.

I don't see how we escape this cycle.

by Anonymousreply 12April 23, 2020 4:13 PM

[QUOTE] I don't see how we escape this cycle.

We escape it by enlightening people about alternative paths.

by Anonymousreply 13April 24, 2020 12:36 AM

[QUOTE] Scientists at the Salk Institute found that mice lacking the biological clocks thought to be necessary for a healthy metabolism could still be protected against obesity and metabolic diseases by having their daily access to food restricted to a 10-hour window.

[QUOTE]The work, which appeared in the journal Cell Metabolism, suggests that the health problems associated with disruptions to animals’ 24-hour rhythms of activity and rest—which in humans is linked to eating for most of the day or doing shift work—can be corrected by eating all calories within a 10-hour window.

[QUOTE]“For many of us, the day begins with a cup of coffee first thing in the morning and ends with a bedtime snack 14 or 15 hours later,” says Satchidananda Panda, a professor in Salk’s Regulatory Biology Laboratory and the senior author of the new paper. “But restricting food intake to 10 hours a day, and fasting the rest, can lead to better health, regardless of our biological clock.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 16, 2020 8:43 PM

My obese aunt lived to age 88 on RC Cola, pork rinds and Vienna Sausages. Sorry, it's just genes.

by Anonymousreply 15June 16, 2020 8:50 PM

Are you saying eating caused my obesity?? You're fat shaming! You should fuck me BECAUSE I'm fat!

by Anonymousreply 16June 16, 2020 8:51 PM

I've been intermittent fasting for about 4 years now and I feel so much less shitty in the mornings. I think breakfast generally always made me feel groggy. I eat two medium-sized meals a a day and two snacks. Thats enough for me. Breakfast is just extra calories.

by Anonymousreply 17June 16, 2020 8:53 PM

The Ramadan period diet restricts liquids during daylight, too. How are we going to go without a sippy cup for 12 hours?

by Anonymousreply 18June 16, 2020 8:58 PM

I know Muslims who would workout during the day during Ramadan while fasting. That's nuts. I always need to have water and a protein shake afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 19June 16, 2020 9:00 PM

This is just an ad for conversion to Islam.

by Anonymousreply 20June 16, 2020 9:10 PM

"Intermittent fasting" has been a thing for a while. Thought I never really thought of not eating for 10-12 hours as "fasting."

I've done it consistently for periods and your body can adjust, but some of days early on can be tough. And it's tough when your daily exercise is more than normal.

by Anonymousreply 21June 16, 2020 9:11 PM

Intermittent fasting has been a thing for most of mankind’s existence. We just got away from it thanks to supermarkets and preservatives and plastic-wrapped garbage, etc.

by Anonymousreply 22June 16, 2020 11:56 PM

I'm sure the breakfast cereal industry and the egg lobby loved pushing that "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" bullshit. Before that, I was sick at the thought of eating before noon. Since learning about intermittent fasting, I went back to my natural inclination and I feel much better not trying to gag down food in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 23June 17, 2020 12:36 AM

Hey, I’d do it if I weren’t hypoglycemic. Going more than 6 hours without a meal is like a death sentence.

by Anonymousreply 24June 17, 2020 12:38 AM

R23, or that you should be drinking cow milk everyday.

by Anonymousreply 25June 17, 2020 12:44 AM

Cow’s milk, R25?

by Anonymousreply 26June 17, 2020 10:18 PM

I’ve been doing Jenny Craig & hit a wall after losing 8 lbs. I had to cut out dinner to start losing again.

The Internet is a font of misinformation that’s cut, pasted & repeated. “You need to have 6 small meals a day!”

No. You dont. 6 small meals = you’re training yourself to eat every 2 hours. That’s ridiculous. Do you think our ancestors ate every 2 hours?

“You can’t skip a meal! It’s unhealthy! You must eat 3 meals a day, especially breakfast!” No you don’t have to eat 3 meals a day if you don’t want to. You can skip breakfast every day. You’ll be fine.

I eat a small protein bar instead of dinner. I should really try to fast. I’ll bet our ancestors only ate twice a day. But is still think people should drink water at least once after the dawn meal. Going all day without water while working is a bit much, especially for doctors & nurses. I remember the first time I came across a Muslim doctor. He was an anesthesiologist who was fasting for Ramadan and I was like, “Sorry. I do not want a doctor putting me under who hasn’t had anything to drink all day long.”

by Anonymousreply 27June 17, 2020 10:45 PM

[quote] But is still think people should drink water at least once after the dawn meal.

I mis-edited. I meant Muslim people during Ramadan

by Anonymousreply 28June 17, 2020 10:53 PM

I don’t know how Muslims do it without water. Everything I’ve read about intermittent fasting recommends that you drink plenty of water.

by Anonymousreply 29June 22, 2020 1:31 AM

[quote] I know Muslims who would workout during the day during Ramadan while fasting. That's nuts. I always need to have water and a protein shake afterwards.

R19 is sucking the Muslims off for his protein shake afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 30June 22, 2020 1:35 AM

R4 I've been eating that way for over 10 years and successfully keeping weight off.

by Anonymousreply 31June 22, 2020 1:37 AM

Breakfast is the main meal. Lunch a bit. Dinner like a pauper then to bed.

by Anonymousreply 32June 22, 2020 1:42 AM

R31 types fat from her mother's basement.

by Anonymousreply 33June 22, 2020 1:43 AM

I lived in a Muslim area of the world and during Ramadan life would really slow done. Work was very much slowed down. I think this is how. they can get through long hot days without water/food.

by Anonymousreply 34June 22, 2020 1:46 AM

This is a lie! Eating McDonald's all day keeps you slim! That's why I weigh 160 pounds.

by Anonymousreply 35June 22, 2020 1:50 AM

R23, I'm not part of the "egg lobby" but I don't know how anyone goes without breakfast. When I wake up I'm starving.

by Anonymousreply 36June 22, 2020 1:53 AM

Monks will do the 12 hour fast thing, which is easy to do. Have you last meal at 6pm, then when you wake up, have your breakfast at 6am or later.

by Anonymousreply 37June 22, 2020 1:59 AM

A 12 hour fast isn’t long enough, imo. It takes food hours to digest completely, so how long as you really fasting for?

by Anonymousreply 38June 22, 2020 2:34 AM

It's long enough for the fatties in America. Baby steps, r38.

by Anonymousreply 39June 22, 2020 2:36 AM

I'm not fat but I don't know how people can go 10+ hours without eating. I eat small meals throughout the day and that works for me.

by Anonymousreply 40June 22, 2020 3:30 AM

Fasting or "concentrated eating" certainly can work. But, there's always been plenty of non-overweight people who never consciously fasted. Fasting, Atkins, paleo, low fat, low carb - it's all a work around because Americans can't limit themselves and eat moderately and sensibly.

by Anonymousreply 41June 22, 2020 3:35 AM

R9, bodybuilders are not eating small meals throughout the day. They're eating several meals but it's a total of 8000 calories or more.

These threads are full of terrible advice. "Our ancestors didn't eat every 2 hours so if you eat every 2 hours you're doing it wrong!" is ridiculous. It's just some metaphor that isn't based on any actual research.

Anyone who is seriously looking for advice should consult professionals and check legitimate websites like Mayo Clinic, WebMD, Cleveland Clinic, UCLA Health, Harvard, etc. And they all say that we're still learning and results are mixed. Intermittent fasting is the newest thing that has shown results, but in a couple years it may very well be at the same state as small meals throughout the day is now: initial promising studies, then later studies that called its benefits into question.

by Anonymousreply 42June 22, 2020 3:43 AM

R42 = Nabisco PR shill

by Anonymousreply 43June 22, 2020 11:30 AM

Fasting sounds ok but self flagellation is a blast.

by Anonymousreply 44June 22, 2020 12:42 PM

Longtime IFer with an appointment in 2 weeks with an oral surgeon for a biopsy on a palatal lesion, so, even though my only risk factor for oral cancer is being over the age of 40, the practice can only do so much.

by Anonymousreply 45June 23, 2020 11:32 PM

The study didn’t conclude that it would make you impervious to cancer.

by Anonymousreply 46June 23, 2020 11:55 PM

And good luck on your biopsy, R45.

by Anonymousreply 47June 24, 2020 12:07 AM

There's no more reliable medical school than the Baylor College of Medicine!

by Anonymousreply 48June 24, 2020 12:18 AM

During my training, I did research with Mark Mattson on caloric restriction.

He practiced what he preached; as young MDs/PhDs we would quietly joke that he was anorexic.

The whole idea of caloric reduction/fasting might have beneficial results, stems from my time working with him.

This is why, on another thread I relayed my experience of a 25-day water fast.

by Anonymousreply 49June 24, 2020 12:33 AM

Thanks, R47!

by Anonymousreply 50June 24, 2020 12:35 AM

I'm gonna die. In the history of man, no one's cheated or beaten death. Of the billions of people who die, no one remembers the majority. I'm gonna eat.

by Anonymousreply 51June 24, 2020 12:36 AM

It's reassuring to hear others are feeling gagged at the suggestion of breakfast. I need to experience a movement between each meal, or else I have no desire to add more food to my system. I have been consistent lunch between one and two, and dinner between eight and nine. Sometimes I skip lunch.

I haven't had regular snacks or tea since 1985. Sometimes I'll grab an apple, berries or trail mix with nuts and raisins if I've had an exceptional amount of physical exercise, or if I've skipped lunch. I find this urge becoming less frequent with age. I also find I require smaller portions at dinner. I still enjoy decadently rich dishes at dinner, but strive to keep carbs low.

by Anonymousreply 52June 24, 2020 1:08 AM

R16 IS Roxane Gay!

by Anonymousreply 53June 24, 2020 1:18 AM

I'm surprised eating food faster has so many benefits. I guess I'll give it a shot.

by Anonymousreply 54June 24, 2020 1:21 AM

My best friend from high school is Muslim. He would gain weight over Ramadan because he would sit up all night snacking.

by Anonymousreply 55June 24, 2020 1:45 AM

[QUOTE] In an eight-week trial, published in Cell Metabolism, scientists randomly assigned 58 obese men and women to three groups. The first ate whatever they wanted without counting calories, but only between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. The second ate what they wanted between 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. The third, a control group, ate without restrictions.

[QUOTE]In both of the groups that practiced time-restricted fasting, participants consumed an average of 550 fewer calories a day and lost about 3 percent of their body weight. Compared with the controls, both groups had significantly reduced fat mass, reductions in oxidative stress, and reductions in both fasting insulin and insulin resistance, which suggest a reduced risk for diabetes. Blood pressure, heart rate, cholesterol and triglyceride levels were unaffected.

[QUOTE] “Our main finding here is that time-restricted fasting cuts out 550 calories a day, which is very hard to do in an ordinary calorie-restricted diet,” said the senior author, Krista A. Varady, a professor of nutrition at the University of Illinois, Chicago. “The coolest part is that it’s so simple. All you have to do is watch the clock.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 1, 2020 2:45 AM

People really only need two meals per day: Brunch and Cocktail Hour

by Anonymousreply 57August 1, 2020 3:03 AM

[Quote] New Study Says Fasting May Reduce Risk of Cancer, Obesity and Diabetes

It's true!

I never had cancer.

Could have been a little slimmer, though.

by Anonymousreply 58August 1, 2020 3:19 AM

I agree, people eat too much, which is why so many Americans are obese. 2 meals a day works for me, have great energy and I feel better overall

by Anonymousreply 59August 1, 2020 10:47 AM

Fuck that.

by Anonymousreply 60August 1, 2020 11:49 AM

Ramadan isn't fasting, peope eat after sundown usually much more than they would during a normal day. Also not drinking any water during hot summer days is hardly good for your health.

Stupid religious rules! As always Islam takes them to the extremes.

by Anonymousreply 61August 1, 2020 11:53 AM

Ramadan is indeed fasting, R61. If anything it’s fasting in its strictest form since it doesn’t involve drinking (which I think is unnecessary).

by Anonymousreply 62August 1, 2020 12:34 PM

No food after 3 PM, until light breakfast the next morning at 8. No weight gain in 20 years.

Eating a whole day's worth of calories before going to bed is what makes people fat. The muslims have it ass backwards--fast in the dark, eat in the light.

by Anonymousreply 63August 1, 2020 12:34 PM

I don’t think the time really matters, R63. It’s a personal preference. There are forms of fasting such as the Warrior Diet that involve fasting all day and eating one huge meal at night just like Ramadan. If you adhered to the same calories and ate before bed, you probably still wouldn’t gain any weight.

I think part of the benefit of not eating at night, however, is that many people are emotional night eaters who devour the worst kinds of food imaginable when the sun is down and their mind is racing with worrying thoughts. If that’s the case then saying “I won’t eat after 8” certainly helps. But if you’re on a paleo diet eating meat and veggies late at night after a workout, you should be fine.

by Anonymousreply 64August 1, 2020 12:43 PM

Finally, some good news!

by Anonymousreply 65August 1, 2020 1:42 PM

I eat my last meal of the day at 7pm and skip breakfast. So that’s an 18-hour interval without eating. When I do eat, I’m a little health conscious but not much. The other night I made fettuccine Alfredo but only ate a smaller portion and also had a big green salad.

I also workout 4-days a week. Anyway, my energy levels are through the roof. It’s a radical difference from when I ate whatever I wanted 3 times a day. And I went from 230 lbs down to 195.

It’s not rocket science. One less meal, then just be a little healthier in the food you eat and your body will adjust. It’s made a world of difference for me.

by Anonymousreply 66August 1, 2020 1:54 PM

Fasting cuts calories naturally. Eating 550 less calories a day? That adds up, but not in a quick, shock-diet type of way, giving you a much stronger chance of actually sticking with it. After you’ve reached your desired health goals, you don’t stop because you’ve now automatically got the perfect maintenance regimen. Then you won’t have to worry about the pounds coming back like the aftermath of some fad diet.

[QUOTE] “Our main finding here is that time-restricted fasting cuts out 550 calories a day, which is very hard to do in an ordinary calorie-restricted diet,” said the senior author, Krista A. Varady, a professor of nutrition at the University of Illinois, Chicago. “The coolest part is that it’s so simple. All you have to do is watch the clock.”

by Anonymousreply 67August 1, 2020 2:44 PM

I first read this as "New Study Says FISTING May Reduce Risk of Cancer, Obesity and Diabetes.'

by Anonymousreply 68August 1, 2020 2:51 PM

[quote] I first read this as "New Study Says FISTING May Reduce Risk of Cancer, Obesity and Diabetes.'

There are many examples of critical early detection of colorectal cancer because of fisting!

by Anonymousreply 69August 1, 2020 3:00 PM

You’ve got to get your mind out of the gutter, R68. Intermittent fasting can enhance the mind as well as the body, leading to an increased mental acuity that can afford you the opportunity to read more, learn a different language or expand your skills with new hobbies. When you cleanse the body, you cleanse your mind and cleanse your spirit.

[QUOTE] It makes sense that humans would have adapted this physiological function as a means of survival. According to the journal Neuroscience, “Those individuals whose brains functioned best during periods of resource scarcity would be the most successful in meeting the challenges. From an evolutionary perspective, intermittent running and food deprivation (involuntary fasting) have been the most common energetic challenges our brains and bodies experience.”

[QUOTE] Intermittent fasting also causes an increase in a molecule known as BDNF (brain-derivated neurotrophic factor) which plays a role in important aspects of brain function relating to mood and cognitive function such as regulating serotonin metabolism, improving synaptic plasticity, and increasing the brain’s ability to resist aging

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70August 1, 2020 3:03 PM

[quote]It makes sense that humans would have adapted this physiological function as a means of survival. According to the journal Neuroscience, “Those individuals whose brains functioned best during periods of resource scarcity would be the most successful in meeting the challenges. From an evolutionary perspective, intermittent running and food deprivation (involuntary fasting) have been the most common energetic challenges our brains and bodies experience.”

Oh please. The worst kind of speculative pseudo-science. Straight out of Rudyard Kipling's "Just So Stories".

by Anonymousreply 71August 1, 2020 4:46 PM

Daylight fasting is not real fasting.

by Anonymousreply 72August 1, 2020 4:57 PM

I found myself that not eating enough makes me hold onto my weight. I find it very, very, tricky to find the sweet spot.

One example: numerous times while trying on clothes and they’re a touch snug, I go eat something and I shrink ever so much. It’s like I needed to get my engine started and burning. Does that make sense?

by Anonymousreply 73August 1, 2020 6:27 PM

Does that fasting include cum?

by Anonymousreply 74August 1, 2020 6:43 PM

R73, that makes sense to me. I have thrifty peasant genes that hold on to every last calorie when I’m not eating “enough”.

by Anonymousreply 75August 1, 2020 6:49 PM

This sounds somewhat similar to zig zag dieting where you alternate high and low calorie days to keep your metabolism from plateauing. Maybe zig zag is a more moderate form of intermittent fasting.

by Anonymousreply 76August 1, 2020 6:59 PM

[quote] but in a couple years it may very well be at the same state as small meals throughout the day is now: initial promising studies, then later studies that called its benefits into question.

I hadn’t heard this. So the small meals 6 times a day is bad for you or not effective?

by Anonymousreply 77August 1, 2020 8:04 PM

Fasting means reducing, you don't reduce food intake if you eat only after sun down.

Ramadan is just another test to see how much people are willing to suffer for their authoritarian religion.

by Anonymousreply 78August 1, 2020 8:04 PM

Soda is white trash

by Anonymousreply 79August 1, 2020 8:33 PM

The only annoying thing about dealing with people who fast for Ramadan is that they have the WORST BO IMAGINABLE while they're doing it.

by Anonymousreply 80August 1, 2020 10:36 PM

[QUOTE] Fasting means reducing, you don't reduce food intake if you eat only after sun down.

Where is that written, R78? Fasting usually leads to reduced calories but it doesn’t necessarily have to be so.

by Anonymousreply 81August 2, 2020 9:33 PM

I've done the intermittent fasting thing and had success losing weight. Usually a small period of hunger pangs at night, but it goes away. Only problem - sleep was always iffy. I usually didn't sleep as well.

by Anonymousreply 82August 2, 2020 9:56 PM

Your cut off was probably too early, R82.

by Anonymousreply 83August 2, 2020 10:44 PM

Fasting can be flexible. When you eat doesn’t have to be set in stone. Some programs, such as Eat Stop Eat, are based on a couple 24 hour fasts every week. But you can mix that concept up with others.

Say I do a daily eating window with a 9pm cutoff, but I’m going out on Saturday night and I know I’m going to be eating and drinking late. Then maybe I’d get up at 10, eat breakfast on Sunday morning and fast for 24 hours until Monday afternoon, where I’m back to my normal routine of eating between 12-9pm. By utilizing a 24 hour fast, I can break protocol to have some fun while still keeping my body used to intermittent fasting and not increasing my caloric intake.

Earlier I mentioned the Warrior Diet, which involves fasting all day and eating one large meal at night (something guys like Gen. Stanley McChrystal do). If you can’t sleep on an empty stomach and you’re sitting around in an office chair at work, not really needing to eat much, you may find something like that preferable.

by Anonymousreply 84August 3, 2020 12:05 AM

That's what I did, R84. I generally tried to do a 12-13 hour "fast." So cut off at 8 or 9 pm and then don't eat again until sometime between 8 and 11 am the next morning. But, it could be as little as 10 or 11 hours occasionally; just occasionally. Once I was in the groove and knew it was working I wasn't going to wait an extra hour if I was really, really hungry on a particular day.

When I would go out; I might be eating or drinking at 11 pm or midnight. Knowing I was going out, I would probably not eat as much before I went out. And then I wouldn't eat the next day until noon or 1pm and then to reset I'd cut off that day at my regular 8 or 9. So the eating window was simply shorter the day after I "went late." I'm generally too active to do a 24 hour fast reset, though I've never tried,

by Anonymousreply 85August 3, 2020 1:38 AM

My perhaps stupid question - If you are trying to limit eating to an 8 to 10 hour window each day does coffee with milk but no sugar count as “eating?” Is only water allowed outside that window - whenever it starts and stops.

by Anonymousreply 86August 3, 2020 2:27 AM

I definitely drank coffee (black) outside the eating window, R86 - especially in the morning. Made it easier to put off eating for an hour or two longer. I'm a black coffee drinker, so I think there's like 5 calories per 12 oz or something minimal. Maybe some people don't allow themselves that, but I did, and it didn't seem to hinder the overall process.

With milk? That would seem more like eating since there's more calories - the whole thing is calorie restriction outside the eating time; doesn't matter if they're consumed via food or drink. But, if it's just a splash of milk; it probably wouldn't be fatal, but I'm no expert. At some point the exceptions have to be cut off.

by Anonymousreply 87August 3, 2020 2:36 AM

How do you get used to being so fucking hungry all the time? Are you taking any appetite suppressants?

by Anonymousreply 88August 3, 2020 2:38 AM

R26 cow milk is fine grammatically. Would you have us saying almond’s milk?

R45 I hope the you got the all-clear on your biopsy results.

by Anonymousreply 89August 3, 2020 2:46 AM

r88, drinking fluids. A lot of times, the brain thinks that thirst is really hunger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90August 3, 2020 4:32 PM

R88, not that I never get hungry outside of my 2-4 window for eating, but I think that your body can generally adapt.

by Anonymousreply 91August 3, 2020 4:51 PM

Don't some people believe that being on a constant very low calorie diet will extend their life spans?

by Anonymousreply 92August 3, 2020 5:26 PM

I've been fasting today. It's 10 pm and I haven't eaten anything. I feel great.

by Anonymousreply 93August 3, 2020 8:00 PM

[Quote]Since learning about intermittent fasting, I went back to my natural inclination and I feel much better not trying to gag down food in the morning.

Same.

by Anonymousreply 94August 3, 2020 8:05 PM

OP I thought you said... Fisting.

by Anonymousreply 95August 3, 2020 8:29 PM

Pay attention R95 - it’s INTERMiTENT fisting. Surprise anal can prolong your life - it’s SCIENCE!!

by Anonymousreply 96August 3, 2020 9:48 PM

It MAY.

by Anonymousreply 97August 4, 2020 12:59 AM

And it may not too!

by Anonymousreply 98August 4, 2020 1:03 AM

[QUOTE] How do you get used to being so fucking hungry all the time? Are you taking any appetite suppressants?

What really helped me R88 was cutting all desserts, sweets and refined sugar. After kicking sugar to the curb, my appetite plummeted. It seems that my “hunger” was mostly sugar cravings of varying intensity. Fasting becomes a lot easier when you’ve removed sugar and its strong addictive properties from your system.

by Anonymousreply 99August 4, 2020 1:30 AM

For those looking to reduce hunger, sleeping more (when possible, of course) and fiber+protein are key. I highly recommend Kirkland protein bars, particularly the cookie dough and brownie ones. 15 grams of fiber and 20 grams of protein each.

by Anonymousreply 100August 4, 2020 1:32 AM

I’m a sugar whore

by Anonymousreply 101August 4, 2020 1:32 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102August 9, 2020 1:13 PM

When the body goes without food for a while, what we call fasting, two important things happen.

First, the body experiences mild stress and tries to increase efficiency and prepare for tough times. This mild stress brings about increased repair, increased elimination of toxins and recycling of nutrients. Consequently, your body functions better. Of course, fasting for too long has negative impacts.

Second, the body often runs out of glucose, its primary source of fuel, and begins to rely on ketones, a source of fuel that comes from fats stored in the body. Therefore, the body begins to breakdown fat as a source of energy. Breaking down fat can lead to weight loss which is why many people would like to have ketones as their primary source of fuel.

Intermittent fasting can, therefore, be something quite healthy. It can be done in various ways. The most common is what is called 16:8 fasting, where you fast for 16 straight hours and eat only over a window of 8 hours. For example, dinner at 6 pm and breakfast at 10 am. Others do what is called OMAD (One Meal A Day). And others fast whole days or more. The idea is that there should be a long enough period without food.

That said, your body should be able to go 16 hours without food comfortably. Do not be afraid to go without food for a short while. Besides, intermittent fasting should be a comfortable process. If it is not and you feel bad or very uncomfortable, then your body will no longer experience mild stress but moderate to extreme stress which will undermine the benefits of the fast. So, always ensure you are comfortable.

Begin with a 12-hour fast and slowly but comfortably work your way to 16 hours or more. Again, please do not overdo it, or it becomes stressful on the body.

By the way, intermittent fasting is not a new and western concept. It was always a part of traditional African life. People ate early dinners and later breakfast after going out to work or dig.

Intermittent fasting is something we should all occasionally do but always listen to your body. If you feel hungry, eat but next time try to go longer without food. Eventually, your body will adapt. However, if you have diabetes or any other medical condition, seek the advice of your doctor before doing intermittent fasting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103August 31, 2020 3:47 PM

If it’s called fasting, then why does it take so damn long?

by Anonymousreply 104August 31, 2020 3:48 PM

Most of us could go a long while just burning Pitt body fat for fuel.

by Anonymousreply 105August 31, 2020 4:25 PM

[quote]just burning Pitt body fat for fuel.

What was this supposed to mean?

by Anonymousreply 106August 31, 2020 10:39 PM

I have no idea r106, but they did use body fat for making soaps in, "Fight Club".

by Anonymousreply 107September 3, 2020 2:47 PM

The body fat remains. Stop saying it burns away. The shit shrinks and you experience invisible jiggling the rest of your fucking life.

A constructive share is that I get a lot accomplished waiting to eat a late breakfast and I don’t lose all energy in the afternoon. An eight o’clock dinner is slower paced.

by Anonymousreply 108September 3, 2020 6:55 PM

We really don't need a ton of food every day, portion sizes in restaurants have jumped considerably over the years.

by Anonymousreply 109September 3, 2020 8:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!