Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Variety reads Kenya Barris's "#blackAF" FOR FILTH

This is one of the most savage reviews I have ever read. It replenished my electrolytes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 24, 2021 3:41 PM

It sounds good!

by Anonymousreply 1April 16, 2020 8:43 PM

Sounds like a black “Curb Your Enthusiasm” but not as funny.

by Anonymousreply 2April 16, 2020 8:50 PM

Black Twitter is not having this show

Hilarious to read

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 17, 2020 3:18 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 17, 2020 3:19 PM

Sounds ghastly.

by Anonymousreply 5April 17, 2020 3:27 PM

He's just making a career out of mining his family life. #black-ish is about him, #mixed-ish is about his wife, #grown-ish is the spinoff of #black-ish and now #BlackAF an exaggerated version of his life. I salute him for making money by beating a dead horse.

by Anonymousreply 6April 17, 2020 3:30 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 17, 2020 5:51 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 17, 2020 5:51 PM

Oooooh chile black twitter is on fire with shade

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 17, 2020 7:42 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 17, 2020 7:44 PM

LOL Black Twitter is criticizing the show for having too many light skinned actors and because the black dad didn't beat his kids for being mouthy.

Variety's critique was a little deeper to say the least.

by Anonymousreply 11April 17, 2020 7:56 PM

Anytime some drama happens on Twitter I check back later in the day because, inevitably, the narrative changes. This morning people were hating on #BlackAF and the fact that Kenya Barris is featuring light-skinned actors and people felt that Rashida Jones has denied or played down her blackness in the past. Now Second Shift Twitter is on defending her and the show.

by Anonymousreply 12April 17, 2020 10:55 PM

Now Kenya has backed out of his giant deal with Netflix because they wouldn't let him be edgy enough. Given how shitty the two shows he created for them were, it sounds like Netflix was happy to be rid of him.

by Anonymousreply 13June 24, 2021 2:31 PM

That review does make me want to watch it - even if it’s hate-watch. Comics are all dark, mean people - but a collaborative writing room helps to soften the edges. This sounds like a guy who needs others to rein him in.

by Anonymousreply 14June 24, 2021 2:41 PM

Me too- also sounds like he pissed off his writers something fierce and they got him back.

by Anonymousreply 15June 24, 2021 3:02 PM

I tried watching it a few months ago because I like Rashida Jones, but all the characters were so awful (and not in a funny way) that I gave up.

by Anonymousreply 16June 24, 2021 3:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!