Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

For those who have traveled route 40 in AZ and New Mexico

I haven't done so in about 20 years, but I've been trying to find out info on a 1 or 2 room stone structure that can be seen, and hopefully is still there, right off 40 going west. I think it's in NM or right as you're going into AZ. Anyway...it says jail on it, and has to be from the 1800's. I think the name began with an S but I'm not sure. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

by Anonymousreply 16May 26, 2020 2:42 PM

The Alamo doesn't have a basement.

by Anonymousreply 1April 12, 2020 7:27 PM

Do you mean Interstate 40, OP?

by Anonymousreply 2April 12, 2020 7:33 PM

i'm driving this route this coming week . will try to take note

by Anonymousreply 3April 12, 2020 7:41 PM

Yes, Interstate 40.

Thank you, r3. I hope you spot it. I've always wanted to know the story behind it, other than it obviously having been a jail. I'm surprised I haven't been able to find something about it online. I remember it not being very far from the road. Anyway, safe and happy travels.

by Anonymousreply 4April 12, 2020 7:59 PM

It's not made of stone, and it's on Route 66 W but there is this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 12, 2020 8:01 PM

Thanks, but that's not it, r5. It's definitely off Interstate 40 and looks "forgotten". It's not set up as any kind of interest for tourists. It just looks left there, abandoned by time. I think the stone was white, and I do remember openings such as the doorway and a window though without shudders or glass.

by Anonymousreply 6April 12, 2020 8:31 PM

"a window though without shudders or glass"

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 7April 12, 2020 8:33 PM

Here it is, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 12, 2020 8:43 PM

Shit! I found it! It's Sanders jail. Thanks for bringing me luck, DL.

It's pic 2 at the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 12, 2020 8:50 PM

Good R11!

I figured someone here would eventually find it; I have no excuse not to search since I'm not really doing anything...

by Anonymousreply 10April 12, 2020 9:01 PM

I meant R9

by Anonymousreply 11April 12, 2020 9:02 PM

r3: I believe it's after exit 338. Do you think you could get a photo of the inside? Just askin'.

by Anonymousreply 12April 13, 2020 1:46 AM

How was your trip, r3?

by Anonymousreply 13May 22, 2020 3:35 PM

R13 two thirteen hour days from Palm Springs to Kansas City. Good weather. I did NOT want to transverse the Texas panhandle with the possibility of baseball size hail or large tornadoes!. I saw your landmark in poor shape and inaccessible from highway without jumping a barb wire fence and I was headed wrong direction..

by Anonymousreply 14May 22, 2020 7:50 PM

no, but I 40 from the Nm border to Kingman AZ is FAMOUS as a speed trap. I can almost guarantee you with an out of state lic plate on that stretch they will pull you over at the drop of a hat

by Anonymousreply 15May 22, 2020 9:29 PM

Thanks for the report, r14. Probably not much to see in there anyway. Glad you had a safe trip.

Thanks for the warning, r15. Will they try to make shit up to pull you over?

by Anonymousreply 16May 26, 2020 2:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!