Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How is Larry Kramer doing through all of this?

I keep thinking about how vulnerable he is. He's at the epicenter of the plague, and he is incredibly at-risk since he's old and male and has a compromised immune system.

Has anyone heard from him through all this? Did his friends take him out of NYC?

by Anonymousreply 17May 27, 2020 6:10 PM

Does he still make the occasional appearance on CNN?

by Anonymousreply 1April 7, 2020 3:34 AM

He said he's writing a play about older gay men that lived through AID's and are now facing the coronavirus.

by Anonymousreply 2April 7, 2020 3:38 AM

You're kidding r2.

by Anonymousreply 3April 7, 2020 3:40 AM

Nope

by Anonymousreply 4April 7, 2020 3:44 AM

Its called "The Normal Lung".

by Anonymousreply 5April 7, 2020 3:49 AM

We avoid him like the plague. I mean, we just can't with him.

by Anonymousreply 6April 7, 2020 4:02 AM

Has anyone asked if he’s ok?

by Anonymousreply 7April 7, 2020 4:02 AM

Meghan, [italic]I[italic] did, and he said he's surviving, but he's not [italic]thriving.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 8April 7, 2020 4:35 AM

My greater concern is his fellow New Yorker and writer, Robert Caro. I so fear that he won’t live to complete his final book on LBJ.

by Anonymousreply 9April 7, 2020 7:54 AM

Wonder no more, OP.

by Anonymousreply 10May 27, 2020 5:21 PM

OP is responsible for his death!

by Anonymousreply 11May 27, 2020 5:22 PM

R10, you forgot the link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 27, 2020 5:27 PM

Actually this is the link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 27, 2020 5:32 PM

Well, his fragility was why I worried about his health more than a month ago and started this thread. It seemed like he would go on forever in some ways, but he always looked more and more fragile each time the Times did an article about him.

One of the things that is so fascinating to me about the end was that he said he was writing a play about living through "the three plagues," by which he meant AIDS, COVID, and old age. It's striking that he thought of old age as a "plague," but he was one of those people like Philip Roth who was furious at God (or at the universe) for making him mortal, and who just at some level simply could not believe he was fated to die one day. He htought it was an outrage that everyone should be up in arms about. People like that are both remarkable and sad.

by Anonymousreply 14May 27, 2020 6:00 PM

He's fine! Still sending his rage!

by Anonymousreply 15May 27, 2020 6:05 PM

Is he DEAD TO ME?

by Anonymousreply 16May 27, 2020 6:05 PM

R14 That was true if Susan Sontag, too. Her son reported that in her last days, she would frequently wail in despair, “I can’t believe I’m actually dying.” So there are folks who definitely do not go gently into that good night. They rage against the dying of the light. My father, diagnosed with metastatic lung cancer at 59 (forty years on unfiltered Chesterfields May have played a role) did what he could, put his affairs in order (he was a banker and made sure my mom would not have any financial worries) and drifted into death two months to the day after his diagnosis. I would not say he chose death (he had retired two years earlier and looked forward to some leisure time and even going back to school—he dropped if high school in the middle of the Depression, but was just naturally smart), but he may have realized that the “fight” was useless. That’s why I hate metaphors of “fighting” a disease-it suggests there are brave and cowardly ill people—a virus or tumor really doesn’t honor “virtue,”

by Anonymousreply 17May 27, 2020 6:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!