Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why more people believe they are smarter and know more than experts

The information age has not ushered in an era of a more educated public, according to Tom Nichols. It has "created an army of ill-informed and angry citizens who denounce intellectual achievement and distrust experts." He joins The Agenda to discuss his book, "The Death of Expertise."

This interview does a great job of explaining why so many people think it’s acceptable to pick and choose what is true. Their king is Trump, and unfortunately this attitude is going to be responsible for a lot of deaths during the Coronavirus pandemic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 30, 2020 5:42 PM

[quote]The information age has not ushered in an era of a more educated public, according to Tom Nichols. It has "created an army of ill-informed and angry citizens who denounce intellectual achievement and distrust experts."

Haven't read his book or seen the interview, but that much at least could not be more true.

by Anonymousreply 1March 30, 2020 1:22 PM

I remember back in the 1990s when conservatives claimed liberals were anti-intellectuals - an argument that culminated in the book The Closing of the American Mind. (Personally I found the book trite and unpersuasive, but that's another issue.)

Now they've become the very thing they claimed they abhorred - relying on empty, baseless instinct.

by Anonymousreply 2March 30, 2020 1:31 PM

That’s because we’ve all seen “experts” who, if you pay them enough, will say exactly what you want to hear, along with the jury.

Dueling experts are common and it damages the credibility of other legitimate experts in their fields.

See: Simpson trial; Also: Baden, Michael, M.D.

by Anonymousreply 3March 30, 2020 1:38 PM

Whenever I hear people refer to Googling as “doing research” I know what I’m in for 🐄 💩

by Anonymousreply 4March 30, 2020 4:15 PM

r4, I'll take Google over Monsanto-funded "research" on food issues any old day.

by Anonymousreply 5March 30, 2020 5:35 PM

[quote] I remember back in the 1990s when conservatives claimed liberals were anti-intellectuals - an argument that culminated in the book The Closing of the American Mind. (Personally I found the book trite and unpersuasive, but that's another issue.)

Actually that book came out in 1987.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 30, 2020 5:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!