Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trump Says He Told Pence to Ignore Governors in Hard-Hit Areas If They Are ‘Not Appreciative’

Shortly after the U.S. death toll from the coronavirus pandemic reached 1,500 on Friday, President Donald Trump took to the podium at a White House press briefing and complained that certain state’s governors are not “appreciative” enough of the federal government’s help—so much so that he said he’d told Vice President Mike Pence, the leader of the coronavirus task force, to skip calling governors of some hard-hit areas.

Trump singled out the Democratic leaders of Washington and Michigan, noting that he had advised Pence not to call them as the healthcare crisis plagues their states and people fall sick and die.

“He calls all the governors,” Trump said. “I tell him, I mean, I’m a different type of person. I say Mike, don’t call the governor of Washington, you’re wasting your time with him. Don’t call the woman in Michigan.”

“If they don’t treat you right, I don’t call,” Trump said.

Michigan’s health department is reporting 3,657 COVID-19 cases and 92 deaths. In Washington, there have been 3,700 cases, according to the state, and 175 deaths.

“We have done a hell of a job,” Trump said. “The federal government has really stepped up.”

Trump’s message to governors was that he wants “them to be appreciative.”

The president’s comments Friday come as the coronavirus pandemic continues to shut down American life and states across the nation show a lack of uniformity on aggressive public health measures aimed at preventing the spread of the virus.

Earlier this week, Trump began to push on an Easter timeline to re-open the country, despite warnings that such a timeline was unwise. Even some Republican governors have pushed back. Despite his earlier emphasis on Easter, he hedged when asked about the topic Friday.

“I certainly want to get it open as soon as possible, I don’t want it to be long,” Trump said. “But we also want it to open safe, otherwise, what did we do?”

These Republicans Think Trump’s Easter Deadline Doesn’t ‘Make Sense’

At the start of the coronavirus task force briefing Trump said the nation’s governors “have been very gracious, for the most part.”

“A couple that aren’t appreciative of the incredible job,” Trump said. “They have to do a better job themselves, that’s part of the problem.”

He continued to praise his administration’s work, while scorning Washington Gov. Jay Inslee as “a failed presidential candidate.”

“He leveled out at zero in the polls,” Trump said. “He’s constantly chirping and I guess complaining would be a nice way of saying it.”

He then jumped to attacking another Democratic governor, Michigan’s Gretchen Whitmer.

“Michigan, all she does is, she has no idea what’s going on,” he said. “And all she does is say, ‘Oh, it’s the federal government’s fault.’ And we’ve taken such great care of Michigan.”

Before long, Gov. Phil Murphy in New Jersey and Gov. Andrew Cuomo of New York were mentioned as Democrats who have been kinder.

If New Jersey’s governor were asked how the federal government is doing, Trump mused, “I think he’d say great. I think. He’s a Democrat.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 30, 2020 10:12 PM

Simply incredible this asshole is President of the United States of America ... .

by Anonymousreply 1March 30, 2020 10:37 AM

Isn't it, though R1?

Every day, his depravity hits a new low.

by Anonymousreply 2March 30, 2020 10:39 AM

The thing about Trump is that he's been telling the world EXACTLY who he is for many years. I think it's time we believe him :(

by Anonymousreply 3March 30, 2020 10:42 AM

Do average Republican voters think it's totally normal to let Democrats *die* because they are not licking Trump's ass?

by Anonymousreply 4March 30, 2020 10:43 AM

Not only do they condone it R4, but they completely support it.

That's how hateful and divisive our politics have become.

When Trump said in 2016 that he could shoot someone on 5th Avenue, and his supporters would still vote for him? He knew exactly what he was saying, and he was absolutely correct. Trump knows exactly who his supporters are.

by Anonymousreply 5March 30, 2020 10:48 AM

Childish, petty, and publicly proud of it. Perfect leadership qualities for a global pandemic and daily rising death totals.

by Anonymousreply 6March 30, 2020 11:55 AM

[quote]Do average Republican voters think it's totally normal to let Democrats *die* because they are not licking Trump's ass?

It's why they voted for him - he promised to punish the people they hate, whoever they may be. And so he has.

by Anonymousreply 7March 30, 2020 12:02 PM

The cruelty is the point.

by Anonymousreply 8March 30, 2020 12:04 PM

[quote] That's how hateful and divisive our politics have become.

No, no, that's how hateful and divisive REPUBLICANS have become.

by Anonymousreply 9March 30, 2020 12:08 PM

He is an evil dictator, it is unfathomable to me how he's still in the White House. If this doesn't get him out, nothing will.

by Anonymousreply 10March 30, 2020 12:55 PM

He's not a dictator R10, he's using the powers he has. He shows up the limits of the Constitution, unsurprising for its age and the time in which it was created, and the limits there are now on changing things.

by Anonymousreply 11March 30, 2020 1:05 PM

R11: He is a dictator. He is Chairman Mao during the Great Leap Forward, refusing to hear all criticism or bad news and just crowing about how great things are going. While people die.

by Anonymousreply 12March 30, 2020 1:58 PM

"When Trump said in 2016 that he could shoot someone on 5th Avenue, and his supporters would still vote for him? He knew exactly what he was saying, and he was absolutely correct"

Yeah, but we didn't know he was going to shoot ALL of us

by Anonymousreply 13March 30, 2020 1:59 PM

It does show how stupid they are R4, because they Republicans will die too if they live in those states. They fucking deserve it too.

by Anonymousreply 14March 30, 2020 2:12 PM

Remember the monstress who said something to the effect of: "Oh it doesn't bother me that he's hurting people, just as long as he's hurting the *right* ones." I hope a huge flock of vultures has come to roost on the homes of her loved ones.

Has donald not learned the consequences of his "quid pro quo" antics?

Resign, alteady.

by Anonymousreply 15March 30, 2020 2:59 PM

[quote] That's how hateful and divisive our politics have become.

And just for the sake of honesty, at least in my case, the hate is pretty fucking mutual.

Liberty students return to campus putting their health in danger? Fuck ‘em.

by Anonymousreply 16March 30, 2020 3:05 PM

And right on cue, asshole Joe Scarborough was praising Trump this morning for "trusting science".

by Anonymousreply 17March 30, 2020 3:08 PM

I think Joe is praising him as one would and impossible child that behaved for a second or two. Good boy! Keep it up!

by Anonymousreply 18March 30, 2020 3:15 PM

I know you can't expect perfection in leadership and I know Trump is a douche, but I never thought I would hear a democratically elected leader actually boasting about blocking millions of their own citizens life saving supplies in the middle of the worst health crisis in a century. Just for some petty personal grievance.

by Anonymousreply 19March 30, 2020 3:38 PM

If the Democratic party has any idea at all they'll run with all of this to unseat the Orange Goblin.

by Anonymousreply 20March 30, 2020 3:45 PM

And get away with it r19. He should be strung up like Mussolini by now.

by Anonymousreply 21March 30, 2020 3:54 PM

I wish he’d fucking die. Someone infect him already.

by Anonymousreply 22March 30, 2020 3:54 PM

[quote] "Oh it doesn't bother me that he's hurting people, just as long as he's hurting the *right* ones."

Who said that?? I know those people are crazy, but that's just pure evil.

by Anonymousreply 23March 30, 2020 3:55 PM

[quote] I never thought I would hear a democratically elected leader actually boasting about blocking millions of their own citizens life saving supplies in the middle of the worst health crisis in a century. Just for some petty personal grievance.

These are documented words, right out of his mouth.

Can't he be impeached and removed from office for this?

He is basically admitting that he is hurting American citizens, ON PURPOSE.

by Anonymousreply 24March 30, 2020 9:39 PM

There is so much that could be used in Democratic Presidential ad commercials.

Why aren't they using all of this shit against DUMP?

by Anonymousreply 25March 30, 2020 10:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!