Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Did you know that the arrow on your gas gauge points to the side of the car that the fuel cap is on?

I only just found out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49March 31, 2020 7:29 PM

It's a huge help when you have a rental car and are in a hurry to refill it before returning at the airport.

by Anonymousreply 1March 30, 2020 12:17 AM

Mine is vertical.

Your dumb OP

by Anonymousreply 2March 30, 2020 12:21 AM

Not true, a fallacy. An old fallacy.

by Anonymousreply 3March 30, 2020 12:31 AM

Our '89 Acura has that arrow. Most Japanese cars have the gas cap on the driver's side, hence the arrow.

by Anonymousreply 4March 30, 2020 12:36 AM

German cars usually have it on the passenger side. American cars are a mixed bag.

by Anonymousreply 5March 30, 2020 12:42 AM

[quote]Your dumb OP

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 6March 30, 2020 12:43 AM

Here is a shocker - your turn signal has 5 positions.

by Anonymousreply 7March 30, 2020 12:47 AM

What R6 said, R2.

by Anonymousreply 8March 30, 2020 12:58 AM

Forget the gas gauge. Every time I rent a car, programming radio presets is different by make and model.

by Anonymousreply 9March 30, 2020 1:12 AM

Max. Max? Max!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 30, 2020 1:16 AM

You don't have to 'warm-up' your car. A minute or so is plenty of time for all fluids to circulate and be ready for the road.

by Anonymousreply 11March 30, 2020 1:32 AM

And Iiiiiiiiiiii begin to wonder.....,

by Anonymousreply 12March 30, 2020 1:33 AM

[quote]Here is a shocker - your turn signal has 5 positions.

That's three more than my boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 13March 30, 2020 1:43 AM

I already knew that. What surprises me more are the staggering amount of people that actually forget to remove the fuel nozzle from their gas tank and end up driving off. On a side note: I actually remember when Full Service meant that you sat in your car while the workers cleaned your windows, checked/filled your oil, and pumped your gas.

by Anonymousreply 14March 30, 2020 1:50 AM

Op, I learned this on Datalounge a number of years back. After years of scrambling to figure out which side the gas cap on a rental was situated while heading to the airport, it was a revelation. Oh, and I'm 65, so it was many years of ignorance...in my defense, I didn't own a car the 35 years I lived in Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 15March 30, 2020 1:57 AM

Gas filler should be on the passenger side, so if you ever run out and need to fill it on the highway you’re not standing exposed on the traffic side.

by Anonymousreply 16March 30, 2020 1:57 AM

[quote]You don't have to 'warm-up' your car. A minute or so is plenty of time for all fluids to circulate and be ready for the road.

I find this one hard to believe in the dead of winter

by Anonymousreply 17March 30, 2020 1:58 AM

Not always, R16. Perhaps the filler should be on the passenger side, and European cars tend to have theirs there. Japanese cars are mostly on the driver's side. American cars are mixed. And, of course, not everyone drives on the right.

by Anonymousreply 18March 30, 2020 2:05 AM

r17 depends if it has an engine block heater or not. Most of the fluids in a car don't freeze.

by Anonymousreply 19March 30, 2020 2:09 AM

[quote]I actually remember when Full Service meant that you sat in your car while the workers cleaned your windows, checked/filled your oil, and pumped your gas.

Yeah, yeah. Ya had faces then, too. We know. We know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 30, 2020 2:13 AM

R14

Lone among all other 49 states self service gas pumping is illegal in New Jersey.

Sometimes it is great (such as bad weather), others a royal PITA. Six service bays with one or two attendants working means you are going to wait. That and some drivers fee it is an ideal time to leave their cars and go inside to shop, get a coffee, go to bathroom, etc....

by Anonymousreply 21March 30, 2020 2:27 AM

[quote]Gas filler should be on the passenger side, so if you ever run out and need to fill it on the highway you’re not standing exposed on the traffic side.

That’s true. But you have to consider where the car was designed. That’s why German cars tend to have their fuel filler on the passenger side. Cars from Japanese companies (which is a left-side-of-the-road driving country) have theirs on the driver’s side, for the reason you mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 22March 30, 2020 11:06 AM

[R21], can you tell us why?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 30, 2020 11:37 AM

Being middle-class, and almost an eldergay, and definitely a perv, I would prefer to have more full-service stations. It is safer, cleaner, and the contact is pleasant, and someone gets a job.

by Anonymousreply 24March 30, 2020 11:42 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 30, 2020 11:44 AM

r21 There's no self-serve gas in Oregon, either (unless things have changed recently.)

by Anonymousreply 26March 30, 2020 12:10 PM

R21 - Yes, laws were changed, so as stated only NJ remains where it is illegal to self-serve fuel.

R25 - That is what they tell people, but it's a job thing pure and simple. Some of those gas jockeys besides having a job can make decent funds in tips. Not all driver do tip, especially NJ natives; but for gas stations along the GSP, NJT, or any other route/road with plenty of interstate traffic there are excellent opportunities.

Plenty of drivers do get out and pump their own gas; especially if place is busy and there are only a handful or maybe just one attendant.

They don't do anything that one cannot do oneself. and some people don't like handing over their CC to strangers. This especially when attendant tells you he has to go into the office to process the transaction.

by Anonymousreply 27March 30, 2020 12:27 PM

I don’t know everything, or even a lot of things, but I do know, and have known for quite some time, about the gas cap arrow.

by Anonymousreply 28March 30, 2020 12:30 PM

Some gas stations are going back to full service with Covid - as a way to entice people in.

by Anonymousreply 29March 30, 2020 12:47 PM

I'm learning so much this morning, it's DIZZYING.

by Anonymousreply 30March 30, 2020 12:57 PM

Not only does the arrow on your gas gauge point to the side of the car with the fuel cap, but the position of the Exit number on an exit sign indicates whether the exit will be off to the right or the left.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31March 30, 2020 1:10 PM

A lot of people don't know that exit numbers indicate the distance (in miles) between exits, as well as the distance from the origin of the road (usually the westernmost or southernmost point in the state--at least in California.)

by Anonymousreply 32March 30, 2020 1:29 PM

R32 not on all highways.

by Anonymousreply 33March 30, 2020 1:38 PM

I heard this a few years back on Tosh.O. I was shocked that it was true.

by Anonymousreply 34March 30, 2020 1:39 PM

[quote] A lot of people don't know that exit numbers indicate the distance (in miles) between exits,

Bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 35March 30, 2020 1:49 PM

My first car had the gasoline fill in the back.

by Anonymousreply 36March 30, 2020 2:24 PM

I found this out many years ago when Vanna White said it one night on WHEEL OF FORTUNE during the last minute of the show when she and Pat Sajak talk about factoids.......I think i also posted it here are DL soon after.....

by Anonymousreply 37March 30, 2020 2:25 PM

I can still remember when cars had the filler under the registration plate in the back. Of course that stopped around 1980. And they hadn't yet figured out to put the indicator on the gas gauge to tell you where the filler was.

by Anonymousreply 38March 30, 2020 4:11 PM

Umm they stopped putting it in the back when then pinto blew the fuck up - a rear-end collision would be a death sentence.

by Anonymousreply 39March 30, 2020 9:47 PM

Do you not think gas tanks are in the rear of vehicles even today?

We’re discussing the filler tube, not where the tank is.

In 1990-1995 the Chevrolet Caprice has the filler tube beneath the license plate in the rear.

by Anonymousreply 40March 30, 2020 10:17 PM

Filler access has been made illegal to position it at or near the rear due to it’s tubing being vulnerable to breakage/spillage in the event of an accident. Filler tubes are now positioned on the sides where they are the safest, clearing heat (exhaust) and convenient (shortest) to the tank. Tanks are arbitrarily placed where they fit the best, and in the safest position.

by Anonymousreply 41March 31, 2020 2:58 PM

[quote] due to it’s tubing being vulnerable

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 42March 31, 2020 3:21 PM

Yes, the mileage on every federal interstate does in fact reflect miles to (or from) the state line (or the starting point of a beltway) But it’s only helpful in one direction unless you know the total miles of the state.

The dummy upthread is speaking of a turnpike, in which case the exit numbers are not tied to the mile markers.

Also, even numbers on interstates reflects a predominately East/west direction while odd numbers reflect north/south.

by Anonymousreply 43March 31, 2020 3:37 PM

[quote] But it’s only helpful in one direction unless you know the total miles of the state.

It's helpful to know the distance between exits.

by Anonymousreply 44March 31, 2020 4:00 PM

Snopes says MIXED.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45March 31, 2020 4:13 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 46March 31, 2020 4:46 PM

R19, what if it's winter and you haven't used your car for a week. You can just turn it on and go?

by Anonymousreply 47March 31, 2020 5:19 PM

I think what r19 was referring to was the old way of warming up your car. In winter, you’d start it and let it run at least 10-20 minutes before moving it.

Today’s cars don’t require any more than a minute or so at idle. Any longer can actually be deleterious to the engine.

by Anonymousreply 48March 31, 2020 6:56 PM

I was driving a rental car and pulled into a station to fill up. Had no problem seeing which side the tank was on but it took me forever to find the lid release switch which was hidden inside the glove compartment.

by Anonymousreply 49March 31, 2020 7:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!