Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How Long Before We Get Instant CV Tests?

Or at least relatively instant, say within an hour.

That's what we need to end this quarantine.

by Anonymousreply 28April 1, 2020 10:03 PM

Abbott is releasing them this week.

by Anonymousreply 1March 29, 2020 11:22 PM

You’ll have to buy them through Kushner’s health insurance company, which means signing up for at least their cheapest plan, which will only cost 1k per month with a 1 million dollar deductible and a hundred dollar copay and no prescription or emergency coverage. You’ll have to pre-pay for this insurance for 5 or 10 years, with a $99 discount on the 10 year subscription. The Results In An Hour tests will be an add-on that only costs 3k per test. The option to sign up for this insurance will roll out in waves, ala the Kevin Bacon Game, starting with 6 people Jared knows and adding an additional six people every month, beginning in May.

by Anonymousreply 2March 29, 2020 11:29 PM

Expected to take 2 years.

by Anonymousreply 3March 29, 2020 11:52 PM

R3 complete lie. UK ordered millions of antibody tests last week.

by Anonymousreply 4March 29, 2020 11:58 PM

2021 at the very earliest.

by Anonymousreply 5March 30, 2020 12:09 AM

R1 already answered this for you. But here's a link that explains it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 30, 2020 1:39 AM

I just heard scarf lady repeat what she’s said before about the futility of getting tested. I’ve also heard others say something similar, that testing is futile because a neg test would be obsolete even a day later, and therefore a waste of a test. While that is true, it completely misses the entire point. A positive result would free me incredibly. If I was positive, and had cleared the virus from my system so that I was now immune and not contagious:

I could stop obsessively washing my hands and sanitizing my house.

I could go to the market, or anywhere, without gloves.

I could eat anywhere without fear.

I could tour open houses and maybe buy a new place, or a new car.

I could stop wiping the mail down when received.

I could visit my friends and family, without fearing of spreading the virus or dying from it.

I could go back to work.

I could go on vacation.

I could comfort a sick loved one in person, whereas no one can otherwise do so, now.

I could resume a semblance of a normal life, instead of living in limbo.

I could rehire my housekeeper, my Rolfer, and my hair stylist.

I could get my life back.

It really annoys me when scarf lady talks around this disingenuously, instead of addressing it directly, and it makes me think she isn’t at all trustworthy, and is deliberately hiding something important from me.

by Anonymousreply 7March 30, 2020 4:46 AM

[quote] A positive result would free me incredibly. If I was positive, and had cleared the virus from my system so that I was now immune and not contagious:

That's not true. You can get it again. And the disease has mutated 8 times already

by Anonymousreply 8March 30, 2020 4:50 AM

[quote] it completely misses the entire point. A positive result would free me incredibly

And you're missing the point. 1. You don't know what the fuck you are talking about. 2. Not everything is about you

You've said you want to be positive for the Coronavirus, trust me, most of us want you to be positive for the virus too

by Anonymousreply 9March 30, 2020 4:56 AM

R8, it’s not settled as to whether a person can get sick from the same virus a second time. There was speculation that the few people that seem to have had multiple contractions may have actually only had a single infection that had not yet resolved, due to faulty testing or something else. We do indeed need more reliable info on this. Dr. Fachi thinks it inconceivable that a person who has recovered from the virus can be reinfected.

R9, your reading comprehension sucks. Your answer is almost too stupid to respond to, but I will try. I never wrote that “I want to be positive”, I wrote that I want to know my status. A test result does not make you positive or negative, as you seem to be suggesting. A test result tells me information about myself that would be useful for to me to know. You have to be truly stupid to think that a person why has recovered from the virus and who has become antige- negative and therefore cannot become sick, nor transmit the disease, should nonetheless behave as though both were still possible.

As for not everything being about me, I never claimed that it was. Oh, how I hate talking with people who are too stupid to understand what they are so eager to criticize. And that, is not about me, at all.

by Anonymousreply 10March 30, 2020 5:32 AM

There are two types of tests. One that would test for your being (currently) positive and another test that would show if you have antibodies indicating that you'd had it in the past.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 30, 2020 9:31 AM

Dr. Anthony Fauci, head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, again says that you can’t catch the disease twice. At least, not in the short term. At least that is good news.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 1, 2020 1:51 AM

[quote]If I was positive, and had cleared the virus from my system so that I was now immune and not contagious

A test for the infection would not tell you if you had had the virus. It would only tell you if you currently have the virus. You would want an antibody test and you're not getting one while the nation is trying to get their hands on just the diagnostic tests. Scarf lady is right. Testing everyone right now is a waste. Assume you and everyone around you has it and act accordingly. That's the only way to do it right now.

by Anonymousreply 13April 1, 2020 1:56 AM

Well, we know for sure the West is not getting any tests if Trump has anything to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 14April 1, 2020 2:00 AM

R14, sure they will. All the empty Repug states will get whatever they want. I really want to know what Florida has gotten from the Feds so far. Illinois got lied to and was sent only surgical masks instead of the N95s they had been told were being sent. Those fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 15April 1, 2020 2:11 AM

[quote] R13: A test for the infection would not tell you if you had had the virus. It would only tell you if you currently have the virus. You would want an antibody test and you're not getting one while the nation is trying to get their hands on just the diagnostic tests. Scarf lady is right. Testing everyone right now is a waste. Assume you and everyone around you has it and act accordingly. That's the only way to do it right now.

Exactly, they’ve screwed-up by not having the antibody/antigen text widely available. If they had those tests ready, it wouldn’t be a waste for the reasons listed in R7. I think a guy also just articulated this on MSNBC’s 10 pm special just now, but wasn’t paying close attention.

And I think you meant, “Assume [bold] you don’t have it [/bold] and everyone around you has it and act accordingly.”

by Anonymousreply 16April 1, 2020 2:26 AM

we do not understand what kind of immunity, how long, and all of that. they keep making "hopefully" statements without concrete knowledge. and if you are negative for having it, and having had it, you still have to make sure you don't get it

i wouldn't want to test it out myself, considering heart failure and kidney failure and all of that is a possible result. does anyone?

so, assume everyone has it and act accordingly.

tests are going to be reserved for the people who REALLY DO need to know: first responders.

by Anonymousreply 17April 1, 2020 2:46 AM

It's possible to become infected with two strains of many diseases - HIV is a notable example.

by Anonymousreply 18April 1, 2020 2:49 AM

[quote]And I think you meant, “Assume you don’t have it and everyone around you has it and act accordingly.”

No, I meant to assume that you and everyone HAS it. That way you won't walk around infecting other people.

by Anonymousreply 19April 1, 2020 4:23 AM

What's the failure rate of the test? 3%? Which means there are going to be people who test negative out there infecting others. As well as people who test positive who are quarantined and/or medicated for nothing.

by Anonymousreply 20April 1, 2020 4:28 AM

[quote]Testing everyone right now is a waste.

Wrong, if I test positive but show no symptoms, I go into quarantine for 14 days then I no longer have to worry and can get on with life.

by Anonymousreply 21April 1, 2020 4:39 AM

[quote]Testing everyone right now is a waste.

Wrong, if I test positive but show no symptoms, I go into quarantine for 14 days then I no longer have to worry and can get on with life.

by Anonymousreply 22April 1, 2020 4:39 AM

^ could you repeat that?

by Anonymousreply 23April 1, 2020 4:42 AM

R7, Pierre my dearest, you have followed the freakout thread enough to know this thing can absolutely reinfect and kill you via cytokine storm. That's how those young Chinese doctors died. Plus, at your tender age, it might even kill you.

by Anonymousreply 24April 1, 2020 4:47 AM

[quote] Exactly, they’ve screwed-up by not having the antibody/antigen text widely available. If they had those tests ready, it wouldn’t be a waste for the reasons listed in [R7].

An antigen test was just invented a week ago. But you feel they should have had a stockpile of these tests that didn't exist. Okay

by Anonymousreply 25April 1, 2020 7:24 AM

My husband’s friend can get a bunch of “antibody” tests where you use a couple of drops of blood from a pinprick and it’ll tell you immediately if you have the antibodies. Supposedly as simple as a home pregnancy test. We suspect we’ve been exposed and recovered, and it would be a relief to know for sure.

But I am skeptical that the tests are accurate. I know of many who have been offered tests and masks by their Chinese vendors who they work with. My SIL works with a supplier who makes handbags for her company. Now they can sell her masks and test kits. ??? And I’M the asshole who’s raining on their parade.

Too good to be true, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 26April 1, 2020 9:00 AM

Scarf lady is an idiot. Fauci is a useful idiot.

Only pay attention to the Koreans. What they do, do.

by Anonymousreply 27April 1, 2020 9:03 AM

Yes, R24, But I believe and hope one eventually gets immunity, I have heard this from Dr. Fauchi.

by Anonymousreply 28April 1, 2020 10:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!