Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

An Irish retreat for Tasteful Friends. Only €2,400,000 and I'm not codding ya.

People claim to love red dining rooms and this one won't disappoint. Facilities and grounds for horses, bejabbers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 31, 2020 5:54 AM

The dining room is more fuchsia than red.

by Anonymousreply 1March 29, 2020 8:46 PM

Outside it’s lovely. Inside it’s nauseating.

by Anonymousreply 2March 29, 2020 8:48 PM

It's very turn-of-the-century Downton Abbey. That dining room is more magenta than red or fuschia (MARY!), and the four-poster bed curtains are icky. Kitchen is fine.

It's a beautiful property and I'd love to be quarantined there right now, with some decoration alterations. Is it haunted?

by Anonymousreply 3March 29, 2020 8:51 PM

Love it as a building... that staircase hall will not be ignored Dan.

Don’t like the kitchen, but does anybody ever like anybody else’s kitchen?

I am not a big fan of that much period furniture but it works, I guess because the rooms don’t feel crowded.

I would change all the paint and wallpaper.

by Anonymousreply 4March 29, 2020 8:52 PM

You’re supporting a mini economy; purchase, administration, and tax costs are just the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 5March 29, 2020 8:52 PM

Somebody needs to straighten up those books in the library for gods sake - they are going to be ruined if they aren't already!

by Anonymousreply 6March 29, 2020 9:56 PM

For me, an oddly inside-out house: too modest on its exterior and too massive and institutional in its interior. It doesn't have the elegance of good Irish Georgian, not the charm of a good Irish house in one the the 19thC revival styles, not the stunning correctness of a place like Ballyfin. The entry hall is almost superb, but needs a screen of columns of some feature to give some complexity to the volume and serve as a counterpoint or framing device to the powerful curve of the stair. The dining room and the library, though, are a bit regular: impressive in size but not so much in any other aspect. The.modern hash they made of a kitchen matches some of the footballer's fortune spent on silly light tricks and "luxury spa retreat" bathrooms.

I like it but find it way too much burden for an unassuming exterior with a bar like interior that's shirt on refinement. Not that I'm in the market for that kind of an operation, but If I were spending that much on an Irish country house Is want a better, more elegant, smaller house and fewer wings of ancillary spaces and acres of land.

by Anonymousreply 7March 29, 2020 10:22 PM

I love the interior, especially the dining room. Only parts I am not keen on is the basement games room which is totally bland compared to the rest, it needs wallpaper and period furniture. Which is cheap right now too. Not wild on the kitchen, but its functional

Exterior is nice too, but a bit modest as R7 says. I like all the stables - not for horses though, but they would be easy to convert to garaging for a car collection

Great thing is the bulk of the land is offered as separate packages, so you have the option of just buying the house and associated buildings, not all the rest of the land. I wonder if the price is for just the house package or the whole lot?

by Anonymousreply 8March 29, 2020 10:37 PM

^yes, 1.6 million.

by Anonymousreply 9March 29, 2020 11:34 PM

Thanks R9

by Anonymousreply 10March 30, 2020 12:34 AM

Option #1:

Cheaper, yet grander inside and out - Marlfield House, County Tipperary. a riverfront 18th Century Georgian on 31 acres, €1.3M

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 30, 2020 9:50 AM

Option #2: Also cheaper, also a grander exterior and interior - Stokestown House, County Wexford, a riverfront house of the early 19th Century house on 32 acres, €1.75M

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 30, 2020 9:54 AM

Option #3: Not cheaper, but... Knockdrin Castle, County Westmeath, a ca.1810 Gothick style castle, on a "rolling parkland estate of some 500 acres", offers in excess of €5M

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 30, 2020 9:58 AM

Wow -- great values here. I genuinely like them all, and for less than the price of many a one-bedroom in NYC.

So why do I keep hearing Irish real estate is overpriced, and that's why Sinn Fein romped in the election?

by Anonymousreply 14March 30, 2020 11:10 AM

R14: Irish real estate is expensive in the sense that 1/4 of the country's population lives in greater Dublin. Demand and prices are very high there, while some lovely small towns (out of commuting reach) are dying away. Built into the prices of the properties on this thread are the very considerable ongoing costs of big, complex properties. It's a small market of people who want big historic properties far away from the most desirable cities, either people who like country living or people who can afford very expensive second homes -- the same as is true in the UK, in the U.S, and many places. If any of these were close to Dublin the prices would leap, but all are at least an hour's drive.

Here's a house in Dublin, on a busy road, but one where modern renovations are not too overwhelmingly flashy as is too often the case. I'm surprised the price isn't more, but the street maybe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 30, 2020 11:47 AM

Outside nice, inside boring as hell and WTF with that dining room? The kitchen and bathroom I do like.

by Anonymousreply 16March 30, 2020 2:58 PM

R11, R12, R13 yes these are all great options, I like the one at R12 most as it has stabling that could easily be converted to garaging, but they're all damn nice

by Anonymousreply 17March 31, 2020 2:04 AM

R17, you’re expected to hire each mouth breather in your mini kingdom.

by Anonymousreply 18March 31, 2020 5:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!