Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's Talk About "The Wife"

Quarantine finally forced me to watch Glenn Close's almost Oscar winner from two years ago, and while I thought she did an extraordinary job in the film, there were a couple of things that really bugged me about it:

1) In the opening scene, it says the year is 1992, and Glenn Close is clearly a woman in her late 60s or early 70s. Then the film flashes back to 1958, when Close is a college student at Smith, which would make her character 21 or 22 at the time. So 34 years later, that would make her character only 56 or 57. No way, honey!

2) The son sure seemed to get upset over the dumbest things. And I was always wanting to comb his ridiculous hair.

Any thoughts from the DLers who've seen this one?

by Anonymousreply 6March 29, 2020 6:42 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 29, 2020 5:44 PM

I support Olivia Colman's win. Glenn's performance wasn't bad but it was really nothing special.

by Anonymousreply 2March 29, 2020 5:46 PM

The movie was a cold turd -- half boring and half depressing.

by Anonymousreply 3March 29, 2020 6:02 PM

The scene with the married couple jumping up and down on the bed and saying over and over again `we won a Nobel peace prize` was beyond dumb.

You notice the son finally combs his hair when his father dies.

by Anonymousreply 4March 29, 2020 6:24 PM

I support this thread.

by Anonymousreply 5March 29, 2020 6:30 PM

R4 That scene was actually key to the film, because later on, you see them in the flashback scene jumping on the bed because Jonathan Pryce has just published his first novel.

Also in that first scene when they're jumping on the bed, Glenn Close eventually says, "That's enough. This is silly."

by Anonymousreply 6March 29, 2020 6:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!