Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Churches

This is our first Sunday with the more serious lockdown guidelines in place ... so are churches empty?

by Anonymousreply 17March 30, 2020 9:07 AM

The police went to the church of my Mom's aide on Brooklyn and shut it down yesterday. It is Seventh Day Adventist, I think, so it is a black church of course. My Mom's aide did not go, she's had her own health issues but she was so happy it was shut.

by Anonymousreply 1March 29, 2020 4:45 PM

They sure as hell ought to be! Responsible church leaders closed up shop a couple of weeks ago -at least in California. The Episcopal diocese has been sending out regular messages to stay home, and use the church's phone tree to check in on members who are elderly, infirm, or likely to need help. Unlike that maniac in Louisiana who is busing in a thousand people from all over the state every Sunday, the real churches care about their parishioners and are trying to keep them safe.

by Anonymousreply 2March 29, 2020 4:47 PM

They are closed here in Michigan. I feel bad for my mom because since my dad died she really enjoyed the socialization of seeing her friends at church and would often go for coffee afterwards and now she can't do that and she said the day is so long for her.

by Anonymousreply 3March 29, 2020 4:47 PM

Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 4March 29, 2020 4:53 PM

Live streaming.

by Anonymousreply 5March 29, 2020 4:56 PM

I walked by the Catholic church near me the other day. It was closed. Services were on Facebook Live.

by Anonymousreply 6March 29, 2020 4:56 PM

[quote] It is Seventh Day Adventist, I think, so it is a black church of course.

"Of course?" There are plenty of white, Hispanic, and Asian Seventh Day Adventists, too.

by Anonymousreply 7March 29, 2020 4:59 PM

I feel sorry for the seniors for whom this is their social circle.

by Anonymousreply 8March 29, 2020 5:05 PM

The Catholic Church okayed asking God directly for forgiveness. I guess Martin Luther finally won.

by Anonymousreply 9March 29, 2020 5:10 PM

The loonier churches in the redder states will be open, I'm sure. It's their right as 'Muricans to worship. They believe that Jesus and/or Trump will protect them!

by Anonymousreply 10March 29, 2020 5:11 PM

I think it's marvelous they are staying open, sharing their fellowship and exchanging all sorts of pleasantries with each other. And they'll so be rewarded for their exposure to one's fellow man (and so will we!)

by Anonymousreply 11March 29, 2020 5:12 PM

As you sow, so shall ye reap.

by Anonymousreply 12March 29, 2020 5:13 PM

Most churches stream services online these days OP.

by Anonymousreply 13March 29, 2020 5:24 PM

Hope they go bankrupt without their handouts from fools.

by Anonymousreply 14March 29, 2020 5:49 PM

Joel Osteen closed his Houston megachurch, and is preaching live via video. Contributions are still welcome, of course.

by Anonymousreply 15March 29, 2020 6:00 PM

My church has everything on line. Services, bible studies, confirmation classes and for our school all the lessons are on line. Our state has an exemption for pastors and church personnel as long as they stay a safe distance while on site.

by Anonymousreply 16March 30, 2020 8:50 AM

Our church bolted the doors three weeks ago.

We switched to streaming on Sundays, Zoom for meetings during the week and constant emailing.

by Anonymousreply 17March 30, 2020 9:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!