Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

After 31 years I’m prepared to give Best Actress to Glenn Close for Dangerous Liaisons

For years I defended the Academy’s decision to award Jodie Foster for The Accused, and I still think it’s a great performance. But she would win three years later for The Silence of the Lambs, so why not go back and have Glenn win for her greatest performance? She was devious and heartbreaking in a true grand diva role.

Come to think of it, I’m retroactively giving Best Picture to Dangerous Liaisons. It was so much better than Rain Man and a notch above the other nominees as well.

by Anonymousreply 44March 29, 2020 10:20 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 29, 2020 1:41 PM

The only reason Jodie won is because she showed her tits. If Glenn had showed hers there would have been no contest, she has the breasts of a goddess.

by Anonymousreply 2March 29, 2020 1:46 PM

Nominees:

(Winner) Jodie Foster: The Accused

Glenn Close: Dangerous Liaisons

Melanie Griffith: Working Girl

Meryl Streep: A Cry in the Dark

Sigourney Weaver: Gorillas in the Mist

I'll give you Best Actress, OP. I only saw Dangerous Liasons and Working Girl, however. I missed Mary Louise's and Susan's movies, and I avoid rape movies. And Miss Bod for Sin failed to impress more than the Marquise de Merteuil.

But I actually did prefer Rain Man and, on the whole, Working Girl. I actually fell asleep during Dangerous Liasons. So "no" to Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 3March 29, 2020 1:51 PM

OP, you have obviously not come to this decision lightly. I respect you taking the time to truly appreciate these performances and understand Glenn's superiority. I love you, and I wish you all the happiness in the world!

by Anonymousreply 4March 29, 2020 1:54 PM

This is the most talked about scene from that movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 29, 2020 2:00 PM

I wonder if Dangerous Liaisons would have done better if Amadeus hadn’t swept the Oscars just a few years before.

by Anonymousreply 6March 29, 2020 2:17 PM

No way does Jodie deserve two Oscars. The Academy made a big mistake honoring her here so soon for doing well with a challenging, adult role. If I was a voter I would have denied her for The Silence Of The Lambs three years later as she doesn't merit two and her Clarice was nothing amazing (although it's probably the best of her limited work) .

1991 nominees: Geena Davis (Thelma And Louise) should not have won in 1988, depriving Siggy of her BSA Oscar, so no way in hell would she get a second.

Bette Midler, For The Boys. No, terrible movie and overwrought performance.

Laura Dern, Rambling Rose. Meh, not memorable enough.

Susan Sarandon, Thelma And Louise: Winner by default. She was better than Davis and the movie is iconic. By winning here we can stop nominating her every year until 1995 and give her undeserved Dead an Walking Oscar to Meryl or Sharon.

by Anonymousreply 7March 29, 2020 2:21 PM

R5 Boo is such a silly word and yet such a hurtful one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 29, 2020 2:28 PM

I agree, Glenn deserved the Oscar that year. However, I would have voted for Working Girl as best picture. One of my favourites to this day

by Anonymousreply 9March 29, 2020 2:29 PM

I think Jodie got the first one for surviving the Hinckley thing with her head on straight and being a child of Hollywood that grew up and turned in a fantastic performance in the Accused. Silence was a phenomenon that people were talking about for a year between its release and the 1992 Oscars, so I have no problem with her winning twice. I remember people talking about Glenn winning for DL as a sort of makeup Oscar for not winning for FA the year before. Glenn couldn’t even win the globe, which was crazy considering it was a three way tie that year between Foster, Sigourney Weaver, an a non Oscar nominated Shirley MacLaine. Close has always been in the unenviable position of not being the front runner, with the exception of her loss to Colman.

by Anonymousreply 10March 29, 2020 2:51 PM

Meryl was amazing in Evil Angels that year as well. Preferred her acting here to Sophie's Choice

by Anonymousreply 11March 29, 2020 2:52 PM

She has officially changed her last name to Close-But-No-Cigar.

by Anonymousreply 12March 29, 2020 2:52 PM

R10 I read the DL missed the cut for Golden Globes? Was that old fanny-fart McClaine any good in her movie?

by Anonymousreply 13March 29, 2020 2:54 PM

that year was so competitive, it is possible that the vote split between two contenders, allowing Jodie to come up the middle in a three-way battle.

by Anonymousreply 14March 29, 2020 2:55 PM

I agree OP. Like many actor’s best roles, this was the perfect fit for her - cold, tough aristocrat with ice for blood.

by Anonymousreply 15March 29, 2020 3:02 PM

The magnanimity of the impotent sometimes is touching, and sometimes is merely ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 16March 29, 2020 3:05 PM

Reeves and Malkovich (who Ive never understood or liked) stank up this movie . It was glorious in set design and costumes,and even Swoozie acted her ass off,but Glenn was magnificent. Nobody , even then , bought Malkovich as a sexy anything . Never was,never will be. Had they brought in Mel Gibson or Daniel Day lewis (who I also despise,but theres no denying his talent) instead ,it would have been a vastly different movie.

by Anonymousreply 17March 29, 2020 3:24 PM

R13 oh yeah. She wasn’t even nominated for DL. That was even worse for Close momentum wise. It’s nearly impossible to win the Oscar without a globe nomination. Madame Sousatzka was good if you’re a MacLaine fan. I saw it like 30 years ago. It may not even be on dvd. The Hollywood Foreign Press has a always had a soft spot for MacLaine.

by Anonymousreply 18March 29, 2020 3:26 PM

R17, I don’t think Malkovich needed to be sexy. Men seduce women with power, not with looks. Look at recent history for proof of that.

by Anonymousreply 19March 29, 2020 3:27 PM

Strange awards season in 1989. Kevin Kline and Geena Davis won Supporting Oscars without being up for Globes that year. So it can be done, but certainly an uphill battle for the nominee.

by Anonymousreply 20March 29, 2020 3:29 PM

She absolutely deserved Best Actress for The Wife. I don’t get into “she was robbed!” except this one exception. I don’t get it. The movie was a B, and she scored a solid 110% and raised it to a near masterpiece.

After I saw The Wife I went back and watched the old Hamlet with Mel Gibson, and she really stole that movie as Gertrude. She’s fucking brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 21March 29, 2020 3:43 PM

I agree R11 she put her heart and soul into The Wife. I would like her to get another successful series

by Anonymousreply 22March 29, 2020 3:50 PM

She and Nicole Kidman demonstrate that acting is projected from within. Both have frozen their faces and yet their emotions are always clearly communicated. Glenn looks like Glenn, but Nicole has practically disfigured herself and she’s still a pitch-perfect actress. I am truly impressed by both of them.

by Anonymousreply 23March 29, 2020 3:53 PM

Glenn should turn to comedy. I could have seen her as Selina Meyer in Veep.

by Anonymousreply 24March 29, 2020 3:55 PM

She tried with Maxie.

by Anonymousreply 25March 29, 2020 4:02 PM

Glenn was actually very funny as the no-bullshit Managing Editor in "The Paper." I feel like this movie is not well-remembered at this point despite having one of the best ensemble casts of the '90s.

by Anonymousreply 26March 29, 2020 4:09 PM

Glenn is not to be rewarded, or encouraged. (Outside of television.)

by Anonymousreply 27March 29, 2020 4:24 PM

R27 My three Tonys disabuse that.

by Anonymousreply 28March 29, 2020 4:27 PM

[quote]R17 Malkovich (who Ive never understood or liked) stank up this movie .

I agree. He is tortuous.

by Anonymousreply 29March 29, 2020 4:30 PM

I thought it was just me--I watched the movie for the first time a year or two ago and I kept thinking "how the hell is THIS guy seducing these women?".

by Anonymousreply 30March 29, 2020 4:43 PM

He had a big cock with a fat much room head, two generous balls and a fragrant Bush.

by Anonymousreply 31March 29, 2020 4:50 PM

His fat, much room head leaves MUCH room in me, when he done!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 29, 2020 4:57 PM

Great competition in the Best Actress category. Looking back, I would have voted for them in this order:

1. Glenn

2. Jodie

3. Sigourney

4. Melanie

5. Meryl (she already had two Oscars)

by Anonymousreply 33March 29, 2020 6:32 PM

R33 Meryls performance actually impressed me the most. But she had no chance that year.

by Anonymousreply 34March 29, 2020 7:34 PM

I love that movie and I can watch it, just to see Keanu Reeves when he was most beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 35March 29, 2020 7:55 PM

I love that movie and I can watch it, just to see Keanu Reeves when he was most beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 36March 29, 2020 7:55 PM

The Glenn Close Loon really needs to take it down a notch.

She's doing great work, but these actress awards go to the young and hot. I'm sorry.

by Anonymousreply 37March 29, 2020 8:00 PM

Malkovich was sexy, he was wonderful. Keanu does not have to be a great actor, he is a movie star, most of you are not wise enough to understand that.

by Anonymousreply 38March 29, 2020 8:03 PM

Glenn should have won the Oscar that year and Frears too.

by Anonymousreply 39March 29, 2020 8:05 PM

I would rank them in this order:

Meryl

Melanie

Glenn

Jodie

Sigourney

Glenn’s final scene is amazing but up until then her performance didn’t wow me.

And I usually love Sigourney but she didn’t impress me at all in Gorillas.

by Anonymousreply 40March 29, 2020 9:11 PM

Still one of the best film opening scenes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 29, 2020 9:15 PM

R37 we are no spring chickens.

by Anonymousreply 42March 29, 2020 9:57 PM

Oops - wrong thread! 😗

by Anonymousreply 43March 29, 2020 10:15 PM

Great year. The unnominated Christine Lahti, Shirley MacLaine and Susan Sarandon were great too. I'd probably give it to Sarandon.

Of the actual nominees I'd have gone with Streep.

by Anonymousreply 44March 29, 2020 10:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!