Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What are you hoarding?

And how many of you bake bread?

I am reading the US is having a yeast shortage. I had no idea so many there baked bread.

I have at least 4 kilo of dried pasta in the house but had that before. I eat a lot of pasta. At the moment there is plenty in the local stores.

by Anonymousreply 65March 30, 2020 6:19 PM

I bake 2 loaves of wheat bread per week now. I usually go through 1 loaf per week and put the other in the freezer. As of this morning I've got 8 loaves frozen. My market has loads of white bread (which I don't eat) but the selections of whole wheat breads is almost non existent, other than the few loaves of ludicrously priced artisan breads for $7.00+ a loaf which are dry as a bone & only good for making very expensive toast.

I have been stocking up on English muffins. I've had good luck finding those in the market and I have one per day in the morning at breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 1March 29, 2020 12:12 PM

I hoard brown rice, spmething I lived on when I was poor, and it still tastes good to me. Am stocking up on various beans including an heirloom strain. I wasn't able to get the chicken I want so have to improvise.

by Anonymousreply 2March 29, 2020 12:13 PM

Carb eating gays?

by Anonymousreply 3March 29, 2020 12:14 PM

Pounds on my body. Ugh

by Anonymousreply 4March 29, 2020 12:16 PM

I have plenty of yeast.

by Anonymousreply 5March 29, 2020 12:26 PM

I went a month ago and bought the usual stores of food one puts down to feel secure, to which I added: 6 bottles of bleach, 4 containers of the oxyclean power, a dozen of cheap white vinegar, lots of dish and hand and shower soap. I plan on doing spring cleaning to keep busy. I bough eye guard and 2 boxes of disposable gloves. I had a couple masks already. I bought 3 months of medicine and supplements (zinc, c, e, etc) but now it seems insufficient. I didn't hoard TP because I don't use much. How do people use so much tp?

Now I go to the grocery store 1x a week and most everything is available but I never see bleach, anywhere. Western Switzerland.

by Anonymousreply 6March 29, 2020 12:26 PM

Not hoarding anything, I feel I have enough for 2 months or so. Always kept a big pantry.

Low on yeast bakers? Make a batch of dough(not baking at all? Cadge a small piece of yeasted dough from a friend who bakes bread), remove a small ball of it and bake the rest. Treat the ball of dough you removed as a starter, which it is, although it isn't sourdough starter. Yet. Feed/refresh this small portion of dough with flour and water to keep it going, removing some when you feed it or you'll wind up with gallons of the stuff. When it is as active as you like( usually within 48 hours) you can refrigerate it. Bread isn't the only thing you can make with a yeast starter, consider: biscuits, rolls, pancakes/waffles, coffeecake, English muffins, layer or bundt-style cakes.

by Anonymousreply 7March 29, 2020 12:40 PM

Life is too short to eschew pasta.

by Anonymousreply 8March 29, 2020 2:00 PM

I’m not hoarding anything. But after 2+ weeks of not being able to find some basic food and cleaning products, I’m tempted to do so when I find them. This is what feeds a vicious cycle.

by Anonymousreply 9March 29, 2020 2:00 PM

I have enough tortillas to last another week.

by Anonymousreply 10March 29, 2020 2:06 PM

It does feel like we're in the old Soviet Union or something--stores out of things, people stocking up when they come in just because they don't know when the stores will be out of it again.

Any sort of disinfectant --wipes, bleach, alcohol, peroxide--seems to have disappeared long ago.

by Anonymousreply 11March 29, 2020 2:09 PM

R8, but what if I like it al dente?

by Anonymousreply 12March 29, 2020 2:22 PM

TP. Bought a ton online, enough to last me 6 months.

I do not feel even the tiniest bit bad. I’m not going out to the store anymore. The masses are disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 13March 29, 2020 2:35 PM

[quote]Pounds on my body.

Same as R4. I'm trying to lose weight but I've just started taking blood pressure pills which has as side effect of gaining a few pounds.

I'm also trying to support a local breakfast restaurant I've been visiting for the last 20 years by ordering breakfast and lunch. If COVID-19 doesn't get me heart disease from high cholesterol will.

by Anonymousreply 14March 29, 2020 2:42 PM

It is nice to support local business. Drink some red wine and you will be fine R14.

by Anonymousreply 15March 29, 2020 3:05 PM

[quote]I am reading the US is having a yeast shortage

I can help with that.

by Anonymousreply 16March 29, 2020 3:15 PM

I'm not hoarding anything, but I'm always pretty well-stocked. But obviously I need to keep getting perishables. I've done a number of online grocery orders at Walmart, and today was the first time I was able to get cottage cheese and eggs. Still haven't been able to get canned chili for some reason. Or ground beef or pork chops.

by Anonymousreply 17March 29, 2020 3:16 PM

I took every one of the 99 cent chef boyardee spaghetti's and speghetti-o's from my local market. They will stay in my pantry until things get desperate. Hopefully, I won't ever have to touch them (because gross) and I will be able to put them in the break room for my staff to eat when we all go back to work.

by Anonymousreply 18March 29, 2020 3:20 PM

I'm hoarding hot pics of men on Grindr who need "help" during this time with rent, etc. I get the pics I want, block them and jerk off later. The rush!!! These times are great to exploit dumb young jocks on Grindr!!!

by Anonymousreply 19March 29, 2020 3:22 PM

Proud carb consumer here. I make my own bread from scratch once or twice a week. Scraps are turned into breadcrumbs, bread pudding (not a lesbian), strata, croutons for soups and salads, toast, etc.

by Anonymousreply 20March 29, 2020 3:24 PM

My daughter baked a delicious bread last night. That was the last of our yeast. But I’m cultivating a sourdough starter. Fingers crossed, we can start baking at the end of the week.

by Anonymousreply 21March 29, 2020 3:26 PM

Pickled eggs, pickled mustard, jasmine rice, bottled water, frozen dinners, dog food, betadine and Hialid eye drops.

by Anonymousreply 22March 29, 2020 3:36 PM

I bake while wheat bread, but I'm unable to find whole wheat flour or yeast right now. So I guess it's baking Sally Lunn bread for now.

by Anonymousreply 23March 29, 2020 3:41 PM

I prefer the term "stockpiling," OP.

I happened to already have a 2 lb bag of active dry yeast I bought months ago from Costco. Still unopened, and still active (I proved it yesterday). I put it in jars in my freezer to keep fresh longer.

Sad to say I have wound up with a lot of butter, flour, and sugar because reasonable amounts of it were not to be had. I could only get 16 lbs of butter and 25 pounds bags of sugar and flour at Costco, so that's what I bought. In a way I feel weird about it but then again, depending on how things go I might be glad to have it in a few months.

I typically don't buy canned food, so the fact that I have maybe ten cans of various beans and a few canned vegetables is significant. I also bought eight cans of evaporated milk, which I never would have done before. But if I'm unable to get fresh milk in future, I'll be glad to have it.

It's interesting to me to discover that even if they were available (which at the moment, they are not), things liked powdered milk and eggs, evaporated milk, etc. are far more expensive than their fresh counterparts. Seems really backwards to me.

by Anonymousreply 24March 29, 2020 4:01 PM

I already hoarded all of the toilet paper and paper towels I'll need for the next six months - in January. I buy tons on sale!

by Anonymousreply 25March 29, 2020 5:00 PM

Canned beans are great in soups.

by Anonymousreply 26March 29, 2020 5:00 PM

Yeast shortage?

Not around here!

by Anonymousreply 27March 29, 2020 5:06 PM

I stockpiled rice, Gatorade, spaghetti, jarred sauce, toilet paper, paper towels, laundry detergent and evaporated milk. I started weeks ago to add items to prepare (thank you, Datalounge fearmongers!) I wish I had bought chlorine bleach and face masks. The stores have surprisingly good stocks of fresh foods. Maybe people are so busy restocking their pantries they forget to pick up fruit and dairy. Here's hoping stores can restock paper goods soon.

by Anonymousreply 28March 29, 2020 11:44 PM

I bought a bunch of imported blue cheeses because I'm thinking they won't be available for a while.

by Anonymousreply 29March 29, 2020 11:46 PM

I grabbed two boxes of pasta and two bottles of tomato sauce when shelves were almost bare. A week ago, I grabbed the last bottle of anti-bacterial Softsoap on the shelf. I have 11 rolls of toilet paper: three four-packs that I bought from different stores. It should last 14 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 30March 29, 2020 11:48 PM

Surprised at the number of bread-makers (not the electric kind) there are.

by Anonymousreply 31March 29, 2020 11:52 PM

R28, you’re welcome.

by Anonymousreply 32March 29, 2020 11:52 PM

Oreos.

Never in my life have I loved Oreos so damn much.

Lemon, golden, latte, coconut.

The store is having a sale 2 for $6, BOGO.

Perhaps it is overcompensating for the TP being totally unavailable.

by Anonymousreply 33March 29, 2020 11:55 PM

Like R25, I had already stockpiled toilet paper and paper towels. I felt kind of embarrassed when I did it, but I'm now grateful.

Walgreens ran out of hand sanitizer and I bought a large bottle of aloe vera gel & 2 small bottles of isopropyl alcohol. I have yet to mix up a homemade batch of sanitizer.

I also already tended to stock up on condiments & cooking seasonings.

The big thing, now, is buying produce and cheese. I also developed a Diet Coke habit, which I'm not happy about.

by Anonymousreply 34March 30, 2020 12:03 AM

I'm not. I opened a 'social pantry' trading post with other suite dwellers in my building.

I'm hoping to trade enough flour for some eggs and yeast so I can have some brioche toast in the mornings.

by Anonymousreply 35March 30, 2020 12:06 AM

OP I bake bread and I have been having a hard time finding yeast! Thanks for explaining why.

by Anonymousreply 36March 30, 2020 12:13 AM

A friend told me that she read that there may be a coffee shortage ... so I'm beginning to hoard coffee. Yeah, I know it'll not be as 'fresh', but that's OK as long as I get my caffeine.

by Anonymousreply 37March 30, 2020 12:22 AM

I've been stockpiling coffee as well. I already have some shelf-stable (but expired) coffee creamer. I hope I don't have to put those babies to the test. Using half 'n' half for now, which is still plentiful in the stores in my area.

by Anonymousreply 38March 30, 2020 1:15 AM

I started hoarding back in late January. Bottled water, toilet paper, tissues, house cleaning products, long life milk, canned goods, jars of olives, cans of tuna, a years worth of cat food - dried and wet, sleeping pills, valium, headache tablets, some soda, red wine, pasta, rice, as much meat/fish as my freezer could fit, nuts, cheese, packets of crackers.

Stacks of stuff - its like a warehouse. Because things aren't too bad with coronavirus where I live I've still be shopping buying fresh foods and when (its not an if because it is going to happen) things take a turn for the worse I won't be going to the supermarket at all.

by Anonymousreply 39March 30, 2020 1:37 AM

Hats mainly

by Anonymousreply 40March 30, 2020 2:02 AM

Loads

by Anonymousreply 41March 30, 2020 4:53 AM

R28, Happy there are some smart DL readers who listened to me. Trying not to laugh at those who didn't.

by Anonymousreply 42March 30, 2020 5:26 AM

Thanks to the anti-carb craze I was able to stock up months ago on jasmine rice and Italian pasta at the 99 Cent Store. Also flour, sugar, large cans of tomatoes, and some yeast, as well as emergency pancake mix and multiple cans of beans for bean salad or vegetable soup.

Always have a sack of potatoes on hand. Enough herb tea to last 5 years. Coffee for months sealed tight.

10 packages of Angus beef, steak, turkey bacon, frozen vegetables, etc fill my freezer.

Plenty of eggs, overstocked on butter. Stuffed refrigerator with weekly fresh produce deliveries from Amazon Prime and Wholefoods. Falling in love with fresh mozzarella with tomatoes and wild lettuce (natural pain reliever.)

Plenty of eggs, butter, shelf stable milk.

by Anonymousreply 43March 30, 2020 5:34 AM

Paper towels, napkins, TP, flushable wipes, Puffs tissues, dishwasher detergent action packs - all bought online.

I’m so worried the situation is going to explode and I already avoid going out amongst the diseased masses.

I’d rather eat nothing but rice and beans for a year if there’s a food shortage than go without my paper products and dishwasher detergent!

If my latest order shows up, I will have enough paper products for one year - at least the TP, paper towels, and detergent. And then I will finally feel mostly secure and ready to face the apocalypse. I will continue to build up my napkin, flushable wipe, Kleenex, and antibacterial wipes stores. Then I will achieve actualization and can finally breathe.

There’s an old man and a frau staying with me, and their orders have all been cancelled, delayed and cancelled, or still haven’t received stuff after a month, etc.

I do not go out at all to hunt on a prayer around the diseased hordes - all my groceries and paper products are delivered. But things are going out of stock and being back ordered at an alarming rate. And now with Trump extending the lockdown another 30 days, the panic buying is going to kick in bigly out there again.

by Anonymousreply 44March 30, 2020 5:35 AM

If they are hoarding yeast it ISN'T to make BREAD.

by Anonymousreply 45March 30, 2020 7:56 AM

So when you read about people who live week-to-week on limited incomes, who need to buy their essentials and nothing more, finding the shelves empty.....

Do you feel pleased with yourselves, or do you understand that it’s your hoarding that has caused this problem?

by Anonymousreply 46March 30, 2020 8:11 AM

Somebody’s hoarding all the dry lentils and beans!

by Anonymousreply 47March 30, 2020 8:18 AM

Here are creative solutions to the yeast shortage:

1. You can propagate yeast. There are several websites that show you how to do this with existing bread. It takes time, though.

2. A family member was able to buy a small quantity of dried granulated yeast from a restaurant that makes its own pizza dough. (She gave me some and I’m going to propagate it.)

3. Again, propagate... it’s extremely easy to make a sourdough starter. All you need is flour and water.

4. Bread is nice, but it’s not part of my ketogenic diet. It’s possible to live without it.

by Anonymousreply 48March 30, 2020 9:56 AM

R45 so tell us....why are they hoarding yeast.

by Anonymousreply 49March 30, 2020 10:40 AM

Contempt.

I have a whole fucking stockpile even though I go through a massive amount daily.

by Anonymousreply 50March 30, 2020 10:42 AM

People in the US didn't used to bake in large numbers until everybody started being quarantined.

by Anonymousreply 51March 30, 2020 10:58 AM

I doubt most of the yeast will ever be used.

by Anonymousreply 52March 30, 2020 11:16 AM

Less hoarding -- more WHORING!

by Anonymousreply 53March 30, 2020 12:28 PM

Do they use the yeast to make beer?

by Anonymousreply 54March 30, 2020 1:16 PM

I don't know why everyone is hoarding tonic. I'm a vodka and tonic and bloody mary drinker.

by Anonymousreply 55March 30, 2020 1:44 PM

Agree R52

by Anonymousreply 56March 30, 2020 1:55 PM

When I saw there was no yeast in the stores I decided to not even try to look anymore. I make homemade flour tortillas which are so much better than the ones in the store. I bought some Bisquick and can make biscuits and some other quick bread items. I have a little bit of bread in the freezer and I have some extra coffee, not tons.

I'm not hoarding any one item, just trying to keep some non-perishables on hand.

I think it's funny that a friend of mine's parents in Japan shipped him a huge bag of rice.

by Anonymousreply 57March 30, 2020 2:02 PM

Been baking daily since this started. Have gained I have no idea how much weight and find ti interesting how little I really care...the baking is soothing, so I’m going to keep doing it.

by Anonymousreply 58March 30, 2020 2:39 PM

I have also been eating and gaining weight. It doesn't help that I haven't worn clothes in weeks, just my stylish caftan, and have no idea how much I weigh. I will be on My 600 Pound Life when this is all over!

by Anonymousreply 59March 30, 2020 2:55 PM

Bisquick? Seriously is that crap still around.

Just get some double acting baking powder and move on with your life.

by Anonymousreply 60March 30, 2020 3:21 PM

It's interesting that refrigerated dough products (biscuits, crescent rolls, etc.) were out of stock or short supply on most of the online sites I tried.

by Anonymousreply 61March 30, 2020 3:26 PM

Y'all need to get a grip.

by Anonymousreply 62March 30, 2020 4:40 PM

I made Parker House Rolls yesterday. The fire department will have to remove a door frame to get me out of my house if this lasts longer than another month.

by Anonymousreply 63March 30, 2020 4:57 PM

I bought $400 worth of canned and dry dog and cat food in February.

My tenants have both lost their jobs, so I won't see any rent coming in in the foreseeable future, meaning that at least I don't have to fret now about budgeting to feed the pets; they're set till summer - when my paychecks also cease. That's when I have to decide about retirement money or running up a credit card bill. I blew my emergency funds on a new furnace in December when the old one gave out unexpectedly.

Fuck!

by Anonymousreply 64March 30, 2020 6:11 PM

[quote]I bought $400 worth of canned and dry dog and cat food in February.

And the sad part of that is that you don't even have pets.

by Anonymousreply 65March 30, 2020 6:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!