Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mowing the grass

I haven't mowed grass in 10 years, but now I own a little house with a yard. These days, what are people using? Corded, electric mowers that plug in, battery operated mowers, or gas mowers? I don't like the inconvenience of gas mowers -having to go to the gas station with my cans and then my car smells like gas and it gets on your hands and so on. But are electric ones powerful enough?

Sorry, don't know how big my yard is, but it's like a modest, flat 1950s middle class yard. Thanks, you sweaty brutes!

by Anonymousreply 31April 1, 2020 6:44 PM

you're welcome

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 29, 2020 12:03 PM

If it is a small yard, why not get a reel lawn mower. No gas, no cord.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 29, 2020 12:05 PM

I used a cheap gas-powered mower for many years. My yard was a good size, so I would do the front one day and the back the next. Now that I have 1/2 acre, I have an electric riding mower. I love it! It's a bouncy ride, but it's almost as quiet as a golf cart, No maintenance and it starts every time. I wish I could use a push mower again, though. It's great exercise.

by Anonymousreply 3March 29, 2020 12:05 PM

For small yards, a cordless string trimmer is optimum

by Anonymousreply 4March 29, 2020 12:08 PM

Buy the biggest, most expensive rider mower you can find. Then pose for a fb photo as it covers your entire yard.

by Anonymousreply 5March 29, 2020 12:12 PM

I had a cordless electric lawn mower, but the original battery only lasted about three years. It got to the point where I had to do the front one day, the side another, and the back yard on yet another day. I went to Black and Decker to get a replacement battery, and they wouldn't just sell you the battery. You had to take it to their service center, have them replace the battery, and pay a disposal fee for the old battery. All together, it was more expensive than what I originally paid for the lawnmower. I went back to a gas powered mower. Agreed a trimmer is a necessity, but again, I have a gas powered unit.

by Anonymousreply 6March 29, 2020 12:18 PM

[quote] These days, what are people using?

Landscapers.

You type poor.

by Anonymousreply 7March 29, 2020 12:25 PM

I'd go electric battery powered. If you're savvy you can replace the batteries yourself. A simple web search will tell you.

by Anonymousreply 8March 29, 2020 12:29 PM

None of this advice is worth much without a better idea of the size of your lawn, but I suspect a high-quality push mower (R2) in combo with a battery operated weed whacked (R4) is the best solution, given your preferences.

But your lawn may be large for that. I’ve only got 1/3 acre, but I have a mower, weed racket, and backpack-style leaf blower (several large oaks), all gas-powered.

Look up a real estate listing for a home in your neighborhood on a similar lot and see what is given for lot size and post it.

by Anonymousreply 9March 29, 2020 12:35 PM

Wacker! I have a weed wacker. But my phone really hates that word.

by Anonymousreply 10March 29, 2020 12:36 PM

Oooh, I’d like to see him, r10.

Oh, never mind, I thought you said wanker.

by Anonymousreply 11March 29, 2020 1:10 PM

You own a house, but don't know the size of your property?

by Anonymousreply 12March 29, 2020 1:14 PM

I have been using the same Neutron battery powered lawnmower with the original battery since 2004. I would never use anything else.

by Anonymousreply 13March 29, 2020 1:22 PM

I have a 22-yo John Deere self-propelled. I change the oil regularly and use Sta-Bil-ed gasoline. Starts every time, even after sitting all winter. B&S Quantum motor. I've replaced a few Deere parts over the years but so far they are still available. My next mower however will be a self-propelled battery model when/if my Deere ever breaks irreparably.

by Anonymousreply 14March 29, 2020 1:23 PM

We have a huge amount of lawn, so we have a good self-propelled gas mower. We can't use a ride on because part of the lawn is deeply terraced, and other parts have flower beds and shrubs which need to be navigated carefully. (I have mowed down a couple of plants by accident, much to my horror.) It's quite a work-out, but we take turns. It would cost an arm and a leg to hire someone, and quite frankly I wouldn't trust them to mow carefully.

by Anonymousreply 15March 29, 2020 1:31 PM

I have a 1/4 acre. I refuse to spend a lot of money on stuff. Bought a $99 mower 4 years ago - perfectly fine.

by Anonymousreply 16March 29, 2020 1:37 PM

I have given up such earthly tasks and put my faith in Jesus to take care of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 29, 2020 1:46 PM

I had a postage stamp sized yard in Atlanta. There were gravel drives in the area and gravel is something to avoid with a push reel mower, otherwise I would have gotten one of those---quiet, cheap, and non-polluting.

A good basic gas powered power mower is probably all you need--MTD (which makes some house brands) is a good reliable make. You'll need to get the blade sharpened every year. Even if you have a bag , you'll need a rake to gather cut grass. I never bothered with a blower or a weed wacker. Unless your infirm or have a giant yard, use a rake and get some exercise. A manual or gas powered edger is more important than a weed wacker, you want to keep grass away from pavement and mulched areas.

by Anonymousreply 18March 29, 2020 1:47 PM

[quote] I have a 22-yo John Deere

Mmmmmmm.

Is he buff?

by Anonymousreply 19March 29, 2020 2:21 PM

BTW, OP, if you're going to get a gas engine push mower, it's not the cost of the mower that counts. Just make sure you buy one with a Briggs and Stratton engine, and you'll be good to go for years.

Mine was $125, and it lasted forever.

by Anonymousreply 20March 29, 2020 2:25 PM

I’ve never mowed grass.

by Anonymousreply 21March 29, 2020 2:28 PM

The size of your lot should be on your deed. You could also look it up on your municipal website's property tax database. When I lived in suburbia I had a lawn area of about 8000 square feet and used an inexpensive gas powered mower. It didn't take that much gas and was reliable once I made myself read the manual and follow the instructions correctly, including regular maintenance. Hint: wear work gloves, you won't have that lingering stench of gas on your hands.

by Anonymousreply 22March 29, 2020 2:46 PM

Okay, my real estate ad says 1/3 acre. It's all flat.

by Anonymousreply 23March 29, 2020 2:51 PM

Sounds like an Eldergay’s ass.

by Anonymousreply 24March 29, 2020 2:57 PM

R23 thats about as big as my yard in Denver was,and I used a push reel mower I got from an estate sale . Of course I was 30 then ,I might not be so apt at 59 !

by Anonymousreply 25March 29, 2020 3:30 PM

I would really like to be able to use an old-fashioned reel mower, but my property has too many steep inclines to make that practical. That's also why a corded electric mower isn't practical for me, either. I bought an electric (battery-powered) mower several years ago, and it was useless. I would start it in the driveway, or on a sidewalk, and the very minute I'd move onto the grass, it would stop. I ended up returning it and buying a self-propelled gas mower (I really needed that extra power to make it up the hills) That worked fine, but it still wasn't easy for me. Eventually, my next-door neighbor asked if I'd be interested in hiring his brother-in-law. I just pay him twice a year: once at the beginning of the season, and once again at the end of the season. I ended up giving him the gas mower, and he was very grateful.

by Anonymousreply 26March 29, 2020 6:47 PM

You're all assuming gasoline will be available within a decade. There is a fairly high probability that gas will no longer be available once a preponderance of electric vehicles. So the best bet is electric.

by Anonymousreply 27March 29, 2020 7:16 PM

Make sure the lawn mower you get comes with a machine to cut the grass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 29, 2020 7:24 PM

Gas isn't going away anytime soon. and all those claims that self-driving cars will be coming in 6 months---well those claims keep coming but the cars are far in the future if at all.

by Anonymousreply 29March 29, 2020 8:18 PM

I am flabbergasted by the assertion that gas won’t be available in ten years. R27, would you mind sharing your age? Honestly, I’m curious. Because it’s an interesting and intelligent point, but your timeline is so, so off. I’m guessing you are very young and grew up in a pretty affluent family.

by Anonymousreply 30March 29, 2020 10:43 PM

R29: A lot of the barrier for autonomous vehicles is legislatures. People don't know how much every state, city etc. makes from traffic fines.

by Anonymousreply 31April 1, 2020 6:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!