Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Environmental impact of the Corona Virus

With the grounding of most flights, ships, trucks, cars and the general lack of industry running - do you think there will be a substantial impact on the environment? Maybe Corona was the planet's way of stopping global warming??

by Anonymousreply 16March 29, 2020 4:55 PM

Dunno if there'll be any lasting positives, but I saw online that there are actually fish in the clear waters of the canals of Venice!

by Anonymousreply 1March 29, 2020 1:23 AM

The air is cleaner from less traffic. I read that the visible horizon has extended by something like 3 miles in Los Angeles. I've noticed more birds, and their squawking last night was so loud it woke me up. I'd say Mother Nature is enjoying a nice breath of fresh air,.

by Anonymousreply 2March 29, 2020 1:30 AM

Kind of answers the question, what if we all just stopped polluting one day.

by Anonymousreply 3March 29, 2020 3:13 AM

we are still polluting. just our mass transit and personal transit has fallen off a cliff.

which somewhat shows what a large percentage of that particular kind of pollution all of that plane and car travel was causing.

it's also beneficial that this did not happen in the middle of a particularly harsh winter, because then everyone would be at home running the heating in their poorly designed, badly insulated buildings with the crappy layouts and the negligible solar orientation.

by Anonymousreply 4March 29, 2020 5:14 AM

I find it kind of ironic when what’s happening in Venice is hailed as an example as Nature restoring the damage to its beauty by human intervention (“Nature taking back Venice”), because Venice is about the only place on earth whose beauty was created entirely by humans. Against all odds, I’d add. It was nothing but a boggy lagoon before.

by Anonymousreply 5March 29, 2020 5:51 AM

Nature and wild animals wouldn't mind if we all died and went away.

by Anonymousreply 6March 29, 2020 5:56 AM

It will be interesting to see what levels drop in the next 2-3 months.

THEN will the anti-climate change fuckers finally get the evidence they need?

by Anonymousreply 7March 29, 2020 5:58 AM

Overpopulation is destroying the planet. Remove humans from the equation, and the environment and the animals in it quickly return to what they were before human destruction.

by Anonymousreply 8March 29, 2020 6:03 AM

The chump administration just announced the EPA will not be enforcing environmental laws because of umm coronovirus, which probably stays permanent as long as chump is there.

by Anonymousreply 9March 29, 2020 6:13 AM

Throughout history, about every hundred million years or less, there had been mass extinctions due to climate change such as the Ice Age or global warming, famine, drought and disease.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 29, 2020 6:44 AM

If we don't stop worshipping the mighty dollar and care more about the environment, wild life and other animals, humans might become extinct. Mother Nature doesn't care about the destruction of humans in order to maintain the preservation of the planet, Earth.

by Anonymousreply 11March 29, 2020 7:23 AM

We mean nothing to earth, she's survived billions of years. She'll be hear long after us. Global warming is our existential threat, not hers.

by Anonymousreply 12March 29, 2020 7:58 AM

What did dinosaurs ever do to Mother Nature? Why did she have them become extinct?

by Anonymousreply 13March 29, 2020 7:59 AM

R13, well that was Mr. Asteroid.

by Anonymousreply 14March 29, 2020 8:26 AM

Fuck those pussy dinosaurs. WE'RE still here!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 29, 2020 8:55 AM

Don't hold your breath that climate deniers will see how much things improve during/immediately after this shutdown and think, "Oh, we were wrong about that!" No. They will double down and say that the Earth cleans itself up without any help from us. You can't expect people who deny science to be impressed with scientific evidence.

The best we can hope for is that a significant number of them also don't believe in hand washing and social distancing.

by Anonymousreply 16March 29, 2020 4:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!